• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIS

You cannot play local mp on ONE SCREEN in handheld mode, which was what I said.
Yes, you can. Out of the box with no additional accessories even. This is a first for both home consoles and handhelds.

Well, you probably can't do TV out without the dock.
This is like how you can't access the settings on the Wii U without the game pad. It's a restriction, not an addition.
The dock has USB 2.0 and a 3.0. It doesn't allow external HDD. Perhaps there is something else that will put them to use one day.

Nate, don't toy with my heart, put it bluntly please. What do you mean by "something else"?

It has a scaler, apparently, and acts as an ir bar a la the Wii.
What's a scaler?

I think that those Vern posts might mean Nintendo will focus on mobile apps which are somehow connected with Switch. That way they don't need that much of a memory on Switch. Almost everyone has a phone.

ASIS

Did you miss the part where neither of those involved handheld mode?

Edit: ITT people equate "not at home" with "handheld."
Well... Yes, portability is a feature of handhelds, not home consoles. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Speely

Banned
Well... Yes, portability is a feature of handhelds, not home consoles. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

A handheld is held in one's hands. The examples of play in question (Mario Kart guys and Roof Girls) were not handheld examples.

It has a scaler, apparently, and acts as an ir bar a la the Wii.

I fail to see a difference.

Positioning it as a home console that you can take with you gives off the idea of taking your home console games on the go. Your Zelda BotW, Splatoons, Skyrims, etc.

Positioning it as just another mobile devices gives off the idea of more mobile/handheld oriented games ala 3DS.

KingBroly

Banned
Positioning it as a home console that you can take with you gives off the idea of taking your home console games on the go. Your Zelda BotW, Splatoons, Skyrims, etc.

Positioning it as just another mobile devices gives off the idea of more mobile/handheld oriented games ala 3DS.

A Console with New Functionality v. A Handheld/Mobile Device

The former works a lot better. While not a blue ocean, it's a lot less red.

Matt

A handheld is held in one's hands. The examples of play in question (Mario Kart guys and Roof Girls) were not handheld examples.
You are inventing a distinction that doesn't really exist. When people say handheld mode, they mean "not in the dock."

And as a point of fact, you can (as of now, as far as I know) play single screen multiplayer in "handheld mode" (as you define it).

Hermii

The marketing approaches are entirely different.
When it's much less powerful and probably won't have 90% of Xbox one games it's a pretty bad home console.

One the other hand, a beastly powerful portable that can be docked to the tv is a pretty awesome handheld.

ASIS

If that's what you are getting at then local Multiplayer existed in handhelds since the DS.

But that's not what we mean. Handhelds are used synonymously with portable. They may not have held the device on the roof or the Mario kart scenario, but it was definitely portable. Such distinction is irrelevant IMO.

It's kind of like saying the PS4 is not a gaming system when you are watching Netflix on it. Technically that's true, cause it's a multimedia device. But that's not what we are getting at.

Speely

Banned
You are inventing a distinction that doesn't really exist. When people say handheld mode, they mean "not in the dock."

And as a point of fact, you can (as of now, as far as I know) play single screen multiplayer in "handheld mode" (as you define it).

What people mean is, in this sense, creating a distinction that is inaccurate in and of itself, based on existing terminology. As far as what has been shown, you cannot play a local multiplayer game on one screen while holding the console in your hands, yet you can play that way when playing as one would normally play a home console (but anywhere.) That's what I feel that people are overlooking when they say that it's just a "handheld with a TV out."

They are ignoring the new kind of portable functionality it likely offers because anything not based in the home is a "handheld."

That just doesn't fit logically, to me.

Matt

What people mean is, in this sense, creating a distinction that is inaccurate in and of itself, based on existing terminology. As far as what has been shown, you cannot play a local multiplayer game on one screen while holding the console in your hands, yet you can play that way when playing as one would normally play a home console (but anywhere.) That's what I feel that people are overlooking when they say that it's just a "handheld with a TV out."

They are ignoring the new kind of portable functionality it likely offers because anything not based in the home is a "handheld."

I 100% agree calling it "a portable with TV out" is, well, stupid.

In terms of how the system works, it knows when it is docked, and when it isn't. There is no third mode (again, as of now, and as is my understanding).

In terms of how the system works, it knows when it is docked, and when it isn't. There is no third mode (again, as of now).

So there definitely is a small boost when docked...
Edit: or the system is nerfed when undocked...

ASIS

Regardless of such terminology. The point still stands that the dock provides no additional features other than an upscaler (whatever that is). The system is very much just a handheld portable device without any gains from being a home console.

Jaagen

OK honest question, no snark: how would these specs theoretically compare with the performance of the iPhone 7?

The iPhone 7 has a faster CPU, though I wouldn't hold it against the Switch seeing that Apple pretty much has everyone else beat in the ARM CPU market(the iPhone CPU is also faster than the Jaguars used in the Xbone and PS4)

As for GPU, I'm not sure, but I don't think the iPhone is that much faster. Whan I am most concerned about is storage performance. I want Nintendo to use eMMC 5.0 at minimum in order to reduce bottlenecks. Apple absolutely nails this aspect, balancing raw power with fast storage.

Speely

Banned

In terms of how the system works, it knows when it is docked, and when it isn't. There is no third mode (again, as of now).

Fair enough. I didn't mean to say that as if referencing a third performance status. I was just referencing an additional functionality, which is neither home TV play nor handheld portable play. Sorry if I poorly communicated that.

Trolls are coming from the woods with force today it seems. Why would anyone want to discuss with such vile creatures?

This whole topic is based on a fake leak that is actually kind of close to Switch specs. BUT, and it is a huge BUT (I like big buts and I can not lie), Switch will have a custom stuff inside it. NVidia says so in the blog post about Switch.

And some people are yelling DOOOOOOM based on nothing. You don't know what's inside. Just a ballpark (and it is a large park, easy to get lost).

Speely

Banned
Regardless of such terminology. The point still stands that the dock provides no additional features other than an upscaler (whatever that is). The system is very much just a handheld portable device without any gains from being a home console.

You are pretty confident stating some things as fact here that are not established as such at this time.

ASIS

You are pretty confident stating some things as fact here that are not established as such at this time.
well Nintendo said as much that the main feature of the dock is charging and providing power to the system so it's not a groundless assertion. Most, if not all insiders claim that docked mode increase the clock but again that is attributed to charging and not docking.

I'm more than happy to be wrong, I wish I am wrong, but my claims are not as groundless as you make them seem.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I fail to see a difference.

Putting on my philosopher hat, I'd argue (admittedly in a rather academic way) that there is a difference between portability and what we usually understand as mobility in this context.

I would see two different valid use cases for portability on the one hand and mobility on the other. Portability is for people who want to take their gaming device with them to play games at places with power supply and wifi. Mobility is for people who want to play at places where there is no power supply and wifi. A portable system just needs to be self-contained (no need for external devices like a TV) and small enough to fit into a bag. A mobile system needs to have good battery life on top of that and maybe include 3G/LTE. As a consequence, the performance figures for both systems and the games they enable can be quite different.

Personally, I could very well use a portable system under the week when I am staying at hotels. But I do not really need great battery life. I could very well live with a Switch that runs out of battery after 30 minutes. People who want to play at home, but not in front of the TV (e.g. in their bed room or home office) would be in the same category.

The extend to which these two use cases have distinct and relevant markets I cannot tell.

Speely

Banned
well Nintendo said as much that the main feature of the dock is charging and providing power to the system so it's not a groundless assertion. Most, if not all insiders claim that docked mode increase the clock but again that is attributed to charging and not docking.

I'm more than happy to be wrong, I wish I am wrong, but my claims are not as groundless as you make them seem.

Well I am not in the business of trying to hate, bud. I don't think your misgivings are without merit whatsoever. I suppose I just land on the side that is a bit more optimistic. Guess we'll find out in January.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it's logical for Switch to be marketed as a console that you can also take it with you and play.

What I have an issue with is the insistence of saying that Switch is a home console first and foremost. I don't think this double down was necessary and switches the discussion into comparison with the other home consoles on the market. Also diminishes the unique value of Switch.

ASIS

Well I am not in the business of trying to hate, bud. I don't think your misgivings are without merit whatsoever. I suppose I just land on the side that is a bit more optimistic. Guess we'll find out in January.
I won't have time to worry about the dock in January as I'll be gushing about the new BoTW trailer anyway :p

QaaQer

@ASIS, a scaler increases or decreases the resolution using algorithms (math) to make it look better than strait enlargement/reduction.

The marketing approaches are entirely different.

? Are they going to hide the fact it is portable in the marketing? It seemed that they were emphasising it.

kingkaiser

I'm just wondering how many people actually want to play huge open world games on a mobile device that needs to be charged every two to three hours...sounds like a textbook example of a niche market they are aiming for here...

Matt

? Are they going to hide the fact it is portable in the marketing? It seemed that they were emphasising it.
No...they will show it. It's part of the basic design of the system. It's one of its major selling points.

I'm having trouble figuring out where your confusion is coming from. Can you explain?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No...they will show it. It's part of the basic design of the system. It's one of its major selling points.

I'm having trouble figuring out where your confusion is coming from. Can you explain?

Indeed, if you watch the reveal trailer, the console is used at home for just around 40 seconds of the whole 3:36 minutes of the video. It's very, very emphasized already.

ozfunghi

Edit: ITT people equate "not at home" with "handheld."
So, according to you, your phone stops being a "handheld" as soon as you use the handsfree features it has.

What's a scaler?
Yesterday somebody (maybe Vern? can't remember) said it would also have a scaler in the dock... to upscale the graphics. Obviously this won't look as good as native resolution, but it should look better than letting your TV do the upscaling. It supported FHD and 4K IIRC. So, the question is, will it upscale every game from 720p by default, or only the games that have trouble reaching 1080p in docked mode? It also matters in the quest for memory bandwidth.

They want to push the fact that it is a home console, that you can take with you. So no, they don't want to hide the fact that it is "portable", they just don't want to acknowledge that it is "a" portable.

QaaQer

I think it's logical for Switch to be marketed as a console that you can also take it with you and play.

What I have an issue with is the insistence of saying that Switch is a home console first and foremost. I don't think this double down was necessary and switches the discussion into comparison with the other home consoles on the market. Also diminishes the unique value of Switch.

Idk why they are using 'home console' as the product category. It's just going to confuse people because the images directly contradict how people define 'home console'. Trying to change the terms people use and understand is a fool's errand. I wish them luck tho.

Nightbird

@ marketing discussion

"A Handheld you can play on your TV" sound far less interesting and exciting than "A Home Console you can play wherever you want"

same device, but those two different descriptions make them seem like they couldn't be any more different

KingBroly

Banned
@ marketing discussion

"A Handheld you can play on your TV" sound far less interesting and exciting than "A Home Console you can play wherever you want"

same device, but those two different descriptions make them seem like they couldn't be any more different

Saying it's a console also gives the stigma that it's powerful...at least moreso than a handheld.

Kathian

Banned
Does there need to be a debate on this when Nintendo has already shown how they plan to market it? It's both a handheld you can play on your TV and a home console you can take on the go.

I'm just wondering how many people actually want to play huge open world games on a mobile device that needs to be charged every two to three hours...sounds like a textbook example of a niche market they are aiming for here...

Honestly I feel thats the best way to tackle Open World games. These worlds are getting so large and expansive playing them in short burts has been the best way for me to get through them, which is perfectly suited for handheld play. Xenoblade 3D despite its technical shortcomings was much easier to get through on 3DS than Wii simply because I could pick it up and put it down whenever and wherever I pleased. You dont need to really dedicate a time to sit down and play through it cause of the ease of use of a portable.

Thats one of the main reasons im hoping for a Xenoblade X port to Switch cause im struggling to find dedicated time to sit down and play through and finish the game despite how much I enjoy it. If I could have played it in short burts whenever I was on break at work or when theres downtime between classes at school I woulda had this game done months ago. As of now im still not through even 50% and i've had it since launch.

Matt

Saying it's a console also gives the stigma that it's powerful...at least moreso than a handheld.
FYI, "stigma" would mean it's a bad quality.

The reveal video showed exactly how the system will be marketed. It's a home console that you can keep playing even when life gets in the way. That's why playing on the TV was the first interaction shown. Then, your dog needs to go out? You can keep playing in the park. Have to take a flight? You can game in the air, and when you get home, just slide it into the dock to continue on your tv. Have to take a car trip? No problem, you and your friends can play in the backseat.

It was an excellent video.

QaaQer

The new home console from Nintendo is shown as a portable/mobile device. You don't see how this will be a hard, confusing sell to non-enthusiasts?

ASIS

Thanks guys for the clarification. That's good news at least. But doesn't the overclocking thing make it reach higher resolution anyway? Is a scaler necessary?

Matt

The new home console from Nintendo is shown as a portable/mobile device. You don't see how this will be a hard, confusing sell to non-enthusiasts?
Read my previous post, but no. That video summed up the idea incredibly well. No one will be confused.

Genio88

32GB seems small when you consider how large PATCHES are today, let alone full games.

good luck to anyone going digital only. start stocking up on those SD cards.
As someone already said, Switch games won't be as big as XB1/Ps4 ones, resolution will be 720p at best, also texture and assets won't have the same quality and therefore weight. There is indeed a report of Switch cartridges being 16GB max, so it means most games won't even be larger than 10GB.
Though 32GB still seems too little even in that case but i'm sure Nintendo did that to keep the price under 300$, we'll be able to use micro SD up to 128GB or hopefully even more to store digital games

ozfunghi

Thanks guys for the clarification. That's good news at least. But doesn't the overclocking thing make it reach higher resolution anyway? Is a scaler necessary?

If it doesn't have enough memory bandwidth, it does... which is why we are trying to pry some extra information from Vern.

But since Matt is here...

say Matt, any chance that bandwidth from the leak would be a problem to output games in FHD natively?
:)

Roo

As someone already said, Switch games won't be as big as XB1/Ps4 ones, resolution will be 720p at best, also texture and assets won't have the same quality and therefore weight. There is indeed a report of Switch cartridges being 16GB max, so it means most games won't even be larger than 10GB, yes 32GB is indeed too litle even in that case, but i'm sure Nintendo did that to keep the price under 300$, we'll be abke to use micro SD up to 128GB or hopefully even more to store digital games

You don't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom