• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL

Are some of y'all serious? I think that without a doubt this console will crush the Wii U. Wii U's first year was dry as fuck. We're barely over a month in and we already have release dates for the next few major Nintendo releases, and those releases are close after launch.

The fuck were we waiting on Wii U in the same time frame? Lego City? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate?

It also helps that they launched with a must-buy game out of the gate. I ain't calling it a mega success now, but compared to what was happening last generation, I'm ready to say that it won't fail like the Wii U.

The Switch is such a better product than the Wii U it's not even funny.

ggx2ac

Still expect it to flop after year 1, at least the hype will drag it long enough so they can avoid ambassador 2.0.

It won't flop if its sales don't crash like Wii U after 1 year.

What will happen then is either one or two years of growth in hardware sales followed by a decline.

The hybrid form factor is a huge reason I want everything on it and why I like it so much. I've wanted a focused hybrid gaming system since for at least over 20 years now. I'm happy it's here.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Fastest doesn't really mean anything if the momentum doesn't keep up.

Also this pokes a hell of a lot of holes in the "Nintendo is undershipping to fuel interest" thing, doesn't it?

That has never ever made sense. Not meeting demand will only lose you money unless you raise price. Any gains go to scalpers.

LOL

Are some of y'all serious? I think that without a doubt this console will crush the Wii U. Wii U's first year was dry as fuck. We're barely over a month in and we already have release dates for the next few major Nintendo releases, and those releases are close after launch.

The fuck were we waiting on Wii U in the same time frame? Lego City? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate?

It also helps that they launched with a must-buy game out of the gate. I ain't calling it a mega success now, but compared to what was happening last generation, I'm ready to say that it won't fail like the Wii U.
The time frame between Wii U launch and Lego City Undercover will have BOTW, Snipperclips, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2. Sounds much better.
bonus: Switch also has LEGO City Undercover already, lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I'm really hoping for it, I skipped sun and moon.

Same here, I skipped the 3DS version hoping that there was a switch version. I could always buy it if the rumor never pans out.

Congrats to them. I just wish it was more than my Zelda delivery device. Get that software train going, Nintendo.

True, but for the majority of people the switch is selling because of hype, a great product, wonderful marketing, increased relevance (due to mobile games like Pokemon Go, Fire Emblem Heroes, Mario Run), and yes, it has one of the best games ever made.

Nintendo's success with the Switch is a confluence of many factors, a perfect storm that will make the switch the biggest Nintendo console since the Wii. Will it beat the Wii? Time will tell, but I can't help but feel that the wave of success will continue long into 2018.

If I am a wrong, feel free to quote this and laugh at me in the future.

jholmes

LOL

Yeah, could you imagine if a bunch of people were getting excited about playing Lego City Undercover on Switch this month? Heaven forbid!

Some of the pro-Switch anti-Wii U stuff on here boggles the mind.

Daniel Ahmad (ZhugeEX) put one up on twitter:
C9VTBa-WAAAIgsS.jpg:large

Ps4 still was beast (ok nov but whatever). Think how many Nintendo could have sold if they produced more...

Mory Dunz

At least having a new console will make NPD interesting.

People bringing up Wii U's good launch or w/e is laughable. (done in Media Create as well)
The Switch won't tail off that bad.

The real comparison is obviously 3DS long term.

Trago

The Switch is such a better product than the Wii U it's not even funny.

Lets see, Wii U launched with a super tanker of late/inferior ports, a NSMB game (the second one that year!), and Zombi U. We had to wait months for something else to play. Not to mention no clear road-map of what was to come. Just vague release years and release windows.

It's a miracle that the Wii U had the success it did out of the gate lol.

The real test for this will be summer but Nintendo already has MK8, ARMs, and Splatoon 2 for it.

Excited to see if Pokemon Stars is true and hope it looks as good as the cgi intro of Sun and Moon!

Plum

Yeah, could you imagine if a bunch of people were getting excited about playing Lego City Undercover on Switch this month? Heaven forbid!

Some of the pro-Switch anti-Wii U stuff on here boggles the mind.

Huh? People were excited for LC:U on Switch because it's both a good game and the first non-cut down portable Lego game, there's also many people who didn't play the Wii U version. LC:U, whilst ending up good, ain't exactly a system seller by itself.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The real test for this will be summer but Nintendo already has MK8, ARMs, and Splatoon 2 for it.

Excited to see if Pokemon Stars is true and hope it looks as good as the cgi intro of Sun and Moon!

I still can't believe they'd completely blow their load this year with Pokemon, but if they did it would be carnage at Christmas.

rockx4

That's a crazy attach rate given that it probably doesn't include digital. Why would people buy multiple copies of the game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Four of those are mine...replacements for various issues after returning and rebuying.
So you just easily rebuy nintendo switches after some issues(nevermind the fact that you should be under warrenty)while everyone is trying to find the thing?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yeah... It sucks but I think the NES classic is a victim of Switch's success. Nintendo probably feels they need 100% of their focus on switch

it's not a victim to it, it was the herald to it

classic only came out to recreate public awareness of Nintendo

The console is still selling what's being shipped. Is not that crazy to assume that April numbers will come close to 500k~, in my opinion. Mario Kart will help with that. Then you have Splatoon and ARMS. May / June / July can be huge for the Switch if the demand continues as it has been for the past month and a half.

Maybe not 500k~, but I doubt we will see a normal slow down for Switch.

We don't know the quantities that are being shipped though.

I expect normal slowdown until the holiday. If it can maintain sales higher than Xbox One it would already be a huge victory in my opinion, and definitely a sign of long term success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom