• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

For Japan, I can see a wave of development coming under the water and we won't see the full picture until Fall and TGS. For the west, I can see hesitation and nothing for a while. I don't think this e3 will show the change, but fall announcements.

Again, I think everyone was caught with their pants down on the Switch, and the reaction is basically starting to happen now.

If ATLUS announces a Persona 5 port at TGS I swear to god I will
double dip and do my second, guided, playthrough on Switch.

Vidiot

Good. Now go all in Nintendo and deliver on this thing being the focal point of both your home console and portable games. That alone would be a huge help with typical Nintendo droughts.

ggx2ac

I get that people are being cautious celebrating the launch just because Wii U sales fell hard after the holidays but, if you're just looking at the numbers then you may be ignoring the wider picture.

You might want to compare the software lineups of the 3DS, Wii U and Switch for the first 6 months from launch.

Sure, sales will drop for the Switch since we're no longer in the launch phase but software for Switch looks much stronger to prevent software droughts affecting hardware sales.

Probably the first game to have an attach rate of over 100%, right?
You'd have to be crazy to not buy BOTW if you got a Switch so I guess crazy people didn't buy it.
or they're crazy and bought like 3-5 copies like i did

VegiHam

Thread title doesn't say 'in America', but data in the OP doesn't seem to be worldwide?

Doubt this thing is doing so well over here where it has no traction and high prices, but wold be interested to be proved wrong.

jman2050

For Japan, I can see a wave of development coming under the water and we won't see the full picture until Fall and TGS. For the west, I can see hesitation and nothing for a while. I don't think this e3 will show the change, but fall announcements.

Again, I think everyone was caught with their pants down on the Switch, and the reaction is basically starting to happen now.

Japan's support is inevitable. The Switch is the clear heir apparent to the Vita in their eyes so pretty much everyone who was in on that platform are going to migrate. We're seeing it happen already in fact.

Xbox was in the market shorter as it launched towards the end of the month but it was the Holidays. PS4 sold around half million more in it's "first" month. Anyway comparing it to past consoles doesn't paint the whole picture as this gen all console manufacturers saw best launcher ever for their consoles in EU and US. Consumers adapt new consoles faster than in the past. Anyway good start for the Switch. The question is in 3 years time will end up like Xbone or PS4 or something in between in the US market?

I would say it's more about having somewhat proper supply during the launch periods nowadays. Something like Wii would had probably sold over 2 million units during launch month if it had unlimited supply.

It's very important to note one of those launched in March and the other two during holiday shopping seasons.

The other 2 were also way more expensive.

So I think the main issue here is supply, I would not call these sales good or bad more like mediocre I guess?

Thread title doesn't say 'in America', but data in the OP doesn't seem to be worldwide?

Doubt this thing is doing so well over here where it has no traction and high prices, but wold be interested to be proved wrong.

Yeah, this is referring to North America.

I'm one of the people that bought multiple copies of Zelda. Amazon delayed my Masters Edition so I bought a digital copy so the day off I got wouldn't be wasted.

Kindekuma

Banned
Probably the first game to have an attach rate of over 100%, right?
You'd have to be crazy to not buy BOTW if you got a Switch so I guess crazy people didn't buy it.
or they're crazy and bought like 3-5 copies like i did

Zelda has a fantastic attach rate. I think 1-2 Switch did really good as well IIRC.

Zelda is still pretty high on Amazon hourly charts, probably could end up beating SS this year.

Mario Kart 8 is amazon's 7th best selling video game of 2017 already.

Well, Skyward Sword did something like three and a half million globally, right? I wouldn't be surprised if Breath of the Wild had it beat before the end of the Summer - certainly across both platforms at least.

Extremely impressive for a March launch.

Now that we've established it'll do much better than the WiiU, I'm curious to see how it'll fare against consoles that sold 40 Million units or more.

I still don't think Nintendo's strategy is the right one to ensure the Switch achieves the numbers it could under the best circumstances. We'll have a better picture after the holidays.

Welfare

Switch March Debut: 906K

Wii U November Debut: 425K
Wii U Holiday Total: 885K

3DS March Debut: 398K
3DS March + April: 592K
3DS First 5 Months: 922K

Wii November Debut: 476K
Wii Holiday Total: 1080K

DS November Debut: 479K
DS Holiday Total: 1225K

yophlow

Banned
C9VTBa-WAAAIgsS.jpg:large

I'm confused at this - what about the Wii? Like, I see those numbers on the graph, but the Wii was a worldwide cultural phenomenon. Its hype was orders of magnitude higher than Switch. Why did the Switch sell almost double what the WIi did in first month? Was that just stock shortages?

Great opening, and huge numbers for BOTW. Totally deserved.

What's its worldwide total now?

Unknown. Japan is at 600k presently, and US probably over a million. Europe we didn't get much sales data for beyond the first few weeks when they were hyping up how well it was selling then; I would personally wager it above Japan's sales, though could be wrong. Has to be above 2 million sold though.

Oersted

It's smug posts like this one that seem to purposefully forget the Wii U had a strong launch, too.

I hope the Switch is a runaway success, and I bought one, but it's only been 4 weeks.

It has been purposefully pointed out that Wii U needed November and December to reach the same number in the US.

Gator86

Still too early to claim Switch success, eh, GAF?

If the Switch does take a turn for the worse at some point, this should definitely be one of the posts people drag up to laugh at. Maybe give the thing a couple months where Zelda isn't coming out before etching its fate in stone.

If the Switch does take a turn for the worse at some point, this should definitely be one of the posts people drag up to laugh at. Maybe give the thing a couple months where Zelda isn't coming out before etching its fate in stone.

I personally live in constant fear of people laughing at old posts I made.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I expect a ton more indie games to magically appear.

Oh yeah, I expect indies will flood the console. We are already starting to see the tides shifting, the wave will be coming very soon.

If ATLUS announces a Persona 5 port at TGS I swear to god I will
double dip and do my second, guided, playthrough on Switch.

Heh, I can foresee a sort of a "golden" or "FES" or P5 Portable" edition coming up. They just need to wait for PS3/PS4 sales to calm down. Atlus is notorious for making a version 2 with tons of goodies and additions.

Japan's support is inevitable. The Switch is the clear heir apparent to the Vita in their eyes so pretty much everyone who was in on that platform are going to migrate. We're seeing it happen already in fact.

Yeah, the Japan Nintendo direct makes it clear, which makes me happy.

wildfire

Banned

OP mentions it is an NPD metric.

That's always North American sales only.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Switch March Debut: 906K

Wii U November Debut: 425K
Wii U Holiday Total: 885K

3DS March Debut: 398K
3DS March + April: 592K
3DS First 5 Months: 922K

Wii November Debut: 476K
Wii Holiday Total: 1080K

DS November Debut: 479K
DS Holiday Total: 1225K

Good work putting this into perspective. April should be huge for Switch as well. There are still people lining up for this thing in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom