• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peléo;233895492 said:
Excellent news.

Any comparison graphs to other Nintendo consoles?

Daniel Ahmad (ZhugeEX) put one up on twitter:
C9VTBa-WAAAIgsS.jpg:large

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Kinda crazy for a March launch, this holiday should be big if Nintendo do things right.

If those Pokemon and Smash port rumors are correct it's pretty much a wrap. Nintendo will have all their big tentpole titles on the Switch by the holiday season.

Zelda
Mario Kart
3D Mario
Splatoon
Smash Bros
Pokemon

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Hopefully it can be a long term success for them.

I used my brother's for the first time last night and I liked it. It's design could use some tweaks but I enjoyed using it.

Tagyhag

Still too early to claim Switch success, eh, GAF?

It's EXTREMELY early.

Nearly 890,000 Wii U units were sold in the United States after 41 days on the market.

From the Wii U's launch till December 31, 2012 (A little over a month), Nintendo reported that 3.06 million consoles and 11.69 million software units had been shipped worldwide.

Compare 890K units in 41 days for the WiiU to 906K units in a month for the Switch.

The Switch clearly wins but it's not a big gap at all...First month sales for a console, ESPECIALLY a Nintendo console which we know its hardcore fans will buy no matter what, is never indicative of how good the system will do in the long run.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still a firm believer that the Switch will do much better than the WiiU, especially once the 3DS is gone and maybe a thinner revision comes out.

But I'm not expecting a Wii-level of success like some people may be.

Air

Banned
Well it's nintendo's best hardware to date. Has a ton of potential and thought put into it. Good for them

If those Pokemon and Smash port rumors are correct it's pretty much a wrap. Nintendo will have all their big tentpole titles on the Switch by the holiday season.

Zelda
Mario Kart
3D Mario
Splatoon
Smash Bros
Pokemon

Now, imagine all that, and then the words:
Nintendo Switch Black Friday Sale

Hopefully the early success will lead to:

1. Third party publishers who are reluctant to come aboard bring their games to the platform
2. Nintendo letting go of the 3DS and bring their handheld games to the Switch (why I bought a Switch)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's EXTREMELY early.

Compare 890K units in 41 days for the WiiU to 906K units in a month for the Switch.

The Switch clearly wins but it's not a big gap at all...First month sales for a console, ESPECIALLY a Nintendo console which we know its hardcore fans will buy no matter what, is never indicative of how good the system will do in the long run.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still a firm believer that the Switch will do much better than the WiiU, especially once the 3DS is gone and maybe a thinner revision comes out.

Holiday season comes into play for Wii U launch, though.

3DS wasn't. Not all launch hardware is supply constrained, especially during this time of year.

Well 3DS had pretty soft launch in west. Consoles like PS2, Wii and PS4 would had shipped and sold exactly same numbers no matter the quarter as all were severely limited by supply during the launch quarter.

Atheerios

Here is the full press release for anyone interested.

REDMOND, Wash., April 13, 2017 – Nintendo Switch, the new home gaming system that people can also take on the go, has sold faster in its launch month than any other video game system in Nintendo history. The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. That makes Nintendo Switch one of the fastest-selling video game systems of all time. Notably, this sales surge was accomplished in a nontraditional month for a console launch.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game sold over 1.3 million units*. That total includes more than 925,000 units sold for Nintendo Switch and nearly 460,000 units sold for the Wii U console. That means that Nintendo sold more of this game for Nintendo Switch than it sold Nintendo Switch systems, for an attach rate of more than 100 percent. This may be attributed to people who purchased both a limited edition of the game to collect and a second version to play.

This was all enough to make The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the fastest-selling Nintendo launch game of all time, as well as the fastest-selling game ever in The Legend of Zelda series.

“Nintendo always strives to offer consumers something fun, new and different,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “With its various play modes and the innovative features of the Joy-Con controllers, Nintendo Switch provides unique experiences that people can take with them anywhere and share with anyone.”

While Nintendo Switch sales are off to a record-breaking start, shipments have not yet been able to keep up with such high demand. Nintendo is working to make sure everyone who wants a system is able to buy one, and more systems are continually being shipped. In just over two weeks, the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game will launch for Nintendo Switch on April 28 with more content than any other Mario Kart game in series history, including 48 racing tracks, new Battle modes, new characters and other additions. Competition on Nintendo Switch gets even hotter heading into summer, with the release of the ARMS game on June 16 and the Splatoon 2 game on July 21.

A full accounting of worldwide Nintendo Switch sales, as well as other financial information, will be provided on April 27, when Nintendo issues its fiscal-year earnings release. For more information, keep an eye on Nintendo’s investor relations page at https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en.

*Data regarding physical sales of games are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.

Asd202

Very close to the Xbox One's first month.

Xbox was in the market shorter as it launched towards the end of the month but it was the Holidays. PS4 sold around half million more in it's "first" month. Anyway comparing it to past consoles doesn't paint the whole picture as this gen all console manufacturers saw best launcher ever for their consoles in EU and US. Consumers adapt new consoles faster than in the past. Anyway good start for the Switch. The question is in 3 years time will end up like Xbone or PS4 or something in between in the US market?

watershed

Banned
Good for Nintendo. Now they just need to keep making the right moves like they have been since they first revealed the console. Big E3, lots of great games, more features, clear communication, etc. Keep it coming.

Right now my Switch is a bit starved for games. I put almost 200 hours into BOTW, GEM was fun but short, I got bored with Snake Pass, and there's nothing else there that appeals to me at the moment.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I mean the signs were there but still didn't expect it to do this well. Very impressive for March.

Hope it keeps on trucking.

Tagyhag

Holiday season comes into play for Wii U launch, though.

You're right, but we don't know just how much power that has for a system exactly.

Not to mention that I'd bet good money that most people that bought a WiiU were the hardcore Nintendo fans, just like the Switch, and supply constraints might have stopped them from selling more.

If not, we can look at Zhuge's chart for another similar situation. The Wii (Also a holiday seller) barely sold more than the WiiU at launch. But as the months went by the gap became bigger and bigger.

Plum

I don't think the fact that it's a re-release will hurt it in any way. In fact, I expect Deluxe to eventually outsell the Wii U version.

Naw, Its Mario Kart, just check the sells of older Mario kart Titles.

Its insane. It could very well outsell Mario Kart 8 on wii u

I reckon that MK8D will almost definitely outsell the Wii U version. Unless, for some reason, Switch sales completely drop off a cliff to Virtual Boy levels the install-base will be enough for it to sell like hotcakes. In the FIFA-loving hellhole of the UK (just kidding... somewhat) it's been in Amazon's best-seller list and GAME's "biggest pre-order" list for a while now, it's currently number 1 on both.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hopefully the early success will lead to:

1. Third party publishers who are reluctant to come aboard bring their games to the platform
2. Nintendo letting go of the 3DS and bring their handheld games to the Switch (why I bought a Switch)

For Japan, I can see a wave of development coming under the water and we won't see the full picture until Fall and TGS. For the west, I can see hesitation and nothing for a while. I don't think this e3 will show the change, but fall announcements.

Again, I think everyone was caught with their pants down on the Switch, and the reaction is basically starting to happen now.

You're right, but we don't know just how much power that has for a system exactly.

Not to mention that I'd bet good money that most people that bought a WiiU were the hardcore Nintendo fans, just like the Switch, and supply constraints might have stopped them from selling more.

If not, we can look at Zhuge's chart for another similar situation. The Wii (Also a holiday seller) barely sold more than the WiiU at launch. But as the months went by the gap became bigger and bigger.

Hell, the DS too. It's a matter of the long run and legs, as exciting as a big launch is.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I reckon that MK8D will almost definitely outsell the Wii U version. Unless, for some reason, Switch sales completely drop off a cliff to Virtual Boy levels the install-base will be enough for it to sell like hotcakes. In the FIFA-loving hellhole of the UK (just kidding... somewhat) it's been in Amazon's best-seller list and GAME's "biggest pre-order" list for a while now, it's currently number 1 on both.

MK8D is going to be absolutely massive.

Smasher89

It's EXTREMELY early.

Would like that with the consoles shipped post tied to it, because then I't prob worse % wise then the Wii, which can be worrying.

Zelda is still pretty high on Amazon hourly charts, probably could end up beating SS this year.

Mario Kart 8 is amazon's 7th best selling video game of 2017 already.

Well 3DS had pretty soft launch in west. Consoles like PS2, Wii and PS4 would had shipped and sold exactly same numbers no matter the quarter as all were severely limited by supply during the launch quarter.

True. I'm having launch PS2 flashbacks. Not fun trying to obtain one.

hatchx

Banned
When's the last time a Nintendo console (not handheld) won best NPD? 2010?

Zelda is still pretty high on Amazon hourly charts, probably could end up beating SS this year.

This is all but a certainty. It will outsell SS by the end of summer without a problem.

Scrawnton

For Japan, I can see a wave of development coming under the water and we won't see the full picture until Fall and TGS. For the west, I can see hesitation and nothing for a while. I don't think this e3 will show the change, but fall announcements.

Again, I think everyone was caught with their pants down on the Switch, and the reaction is basically starting to happen now.
I expect a ton more indie games to magically appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom