• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmaine_ph

Yeah, you think it is crazy now, just think of all those amazing games combined with it being the "must have Christmas present."

I think if you don't get it in the summer "down" period, you aren't getting the console until 2018.

It's going to be a great year for Nintendo.

It might, but didn't that game sell 5 million copies on the Wii U already? I'm sure there's a large portion of people that have/want a Switch that didn't buy a Wii U, but I wonder if the game being old hurts it at all.

I don't think the fact that it's a re-release will hurt it in any way. In fact, I expect Deluxe to eventually outsell the Wii U version.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
pardon my ignorance in advance, but is that good? Like how does it compare to other launches?

It's right there in the title, fastest selling Nintendo system.

HeySeuss

Could mean people bought the game expecting to buy a switch but couldn't find one

Probably more likely they bought it without being able to find a switch and wanting to make sure they had the game when they finally find a switch to buy.

Not saying you're wrong, just that it's probably a combination of both.

pardon my ignorance in advance, but is that good? Like how does it compare to other launches?

As cited in this thread, it sold more than the Wii U did across both holiday months, in March. As the thread title puts it, fastest selling Nintendo Console in US history.

That said, as also stated, it's a matter of how sales hold up after this.

I still think we should revisit this in a year.

It's a huge success out of the gate. No denying that. And at least first party wise. They seem to have enough to keep their core base engaged. Splatoon and Mario will be huge for this thing.

But the giant question mark is still 3rd parties. Will that have any impact?

They don't need it. At least not western 3rd parties. They have Japanese 3rd parties assured, and that would be enough.

Nanashrew

Banned
I was not expecting BotW to be 100%+. That's hilarious.

Also happy to see some good news for Nintendo and their console launch! Hope they can keep good momentum into the holiday season.

Given the Switch's success, I assume we can now expect them to discontinue it in about 4 or 5 months time? /s

For real though, that's great news. Zelda in particular is ridiculous.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It might, but didn't that game sell 5 million copies on the Wii U already? I'm sure there's a large portion of people that have/want a Switch that didn't buy a Wii U, but I wonder if the game being old hurts it at all.

won't hurt at all - mk8 sales are nothing compared to mk7 / wii sales. mk8d has a large number of fans that haven't touched it.

antonz

For Comparisons Wii U sold around 885k between November NPD and December NPD in 2012. So Switch is already performing massively better than we saw Wii U do. By month 3 it was obvious Wii U was in trouble though as its sales plummeted to 57k sales. So will be interesting to see how sales continue

Man looking back at the January presentation and seeing people say DOA is hilarious lol.

If you went back and told most posters it sold this much you'd look like a complete joke.

Seriously though great job Nintendo.

It says right in the title, it's the fastest selling Nintendo system ever, and the Wii launch was nuts.
Naw, Its Mario Kart, just check the sells of older Mario kart Titles.

Its insane. It could very well outsell Mario Kart 8 on wii u

Kouriozan

Personally, I think April will be a slow month depending on stock availability, then Mario Kart Deluxe should be somewhat enough until Splatoon 2 where it'll dominate Japan at least.
ARMS could be a big surprise, but I really don't know how it will performs.

Alchemy

Good numbers, honestly really surprised. I suspect things will get more stable during the Summer but the holiday season is going to be crazy. I'm sticking to my 50~ million lifetime sales estimate though. This is a great sign for Nintendo but it'll be interesting to see how demand shakes out after Mario fever ends this holiday.

wildfire

Banned
I think that title belongs to Wii Sports which single handedly turned the Wii into a social phenomenon.

Wii Sports was bundled in. If Zelda is something like 80% attach rate a year and a half later I would be convinced it's bigger than Wii Sports.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
For Comparisons Wii U sold around 885k between November NPD and December NPD in 2012. So Switch is already performing massively better than we saw Wii U do. By month 3 it was obvious Wii U was in trouble though as its sales plummeted to 57k sales. So will be interesting to see how sales continue

Yes- I would hope this would put the Wii U comparison's to rest here.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
As cited in this thread, it sold more than the Wii U did across both holiday months, in March. As the thread title puts it, fastest selling Nintendo Console in US history.

That said, as also stated, it's a matter of how sales hold up after this.

Considering last weekend I saw a huge pile of 100 switches get whittled down to almost nothing in an hour, I think it is safe to say April's numbers will be nice ;)

13ruce

Banned
Personally, I think April will be a slow month depending on stock availability, then Mario Kart Deluxe should be somewhat enough until Splatoon 2 where it'll dominate Japan at least.
ARMS could be a big surprise, but I really don't know how it will performs.

Minecraft is pretty big for the kid/family market + official local co-op.
So may can be good.

I love how everyone always is proclaiming the death of Nintendo all the time, yet time and time again, Nintendo proves everyone wrong. Yes, it's just one month, but I would not be the least bit surprised if Switch keeps selling and selling. I really doubt this is another Wii U in the making.

-Horizon-

Hopefully they can maintain it in conjunction with more good and frequent game releases. I'd rather sales not collapse and make things look bleak again.

Kouriozan

Kinda crazy for a March launch, this holiday should be big if Nintendo do things right.

Boke1879

They don't need it. At least not western 3rd parties. They have Japanese 3rd parties assured, and that would be enough.

See this is the wrong attitude to have imo. Of course they have Japanese 3rd parties. They had that with Wii U and 3ds.

But to say they don't need it in NA is the wrong idea. They will still need games to reach out of their core base if they want to breakthrough.

Again. Get Rocket League on this system ASAP.

And lets be real. You are limiting yourself if you don't have games like Destiny, RDR etc.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hopefully the "lightning in a bottle" meme will end too. That's not applicable when you do it multiple times in a 30 year period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom