• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwy_61

Banned
Is there any easy way to upload captured screenshots to somewhere other than Facebook or Twitter? I'm guessing microSD card is still the easiest way (which is a pain)?

Sadly, taking the micro SD is the only way. Make sure to shut your switch off before you do though.

I am really glad I decided to keep mine. I did not think I would love the console-portable hybrid concept as much as I do. Its incredible to just pop it out of the dock and continue my Zelda gaming in bedroom lying down and then take it work the next day before sliding back into its proper home in the evening.

I am really happy with both Zelda and Snipperclips (playing with wife is so much fun). Saw that the Wipeout clone is $20 and might pick that up for a nice of change of pace from the other 2 titles. I cannot wait for next round of games like Splatoon and MK8!

Symphonic

Yeah, I feel like it's more forgivable on monitors though because the borders aren't flush with the screen.

In any case I can't see myself playing Zelda, 3D Mario, or multiplayer Mario Kart on this screen for any extended period of time. But I haven't actually turned the thing on yet, so we'll see. Could've sworn the Wii U gamepad had a bigger screen, but maybe not.

I've been playing Zelda on the screen every night and the difference between it and my TV aren't really worth noting. The screen is crisp/high enough quality to where it doesn't feel like a big deal.

Will obviously vary from person to person, but that's my experience.

Armorous

I am really glad I decided to keep mine. I did not think I would love the console-portable hybrid concept as much as I do. Its incredible to just pop it out of the dock and continue my Zelda gaming in bedroom lying down and then take it work the next day before sliding back into its proper home at end of day.

Totally agree with you. I only wanted to play zelda and keep it docked before i bought the system. Last night i was playing and my wife wanted to watch something in bed, so I just un-docked to continue the dungeon. It felt so nice to be able to do that!

Peltz

I am really glad I decided to keep mine. I did not think I would love the console-portable hybrid concept as much as I do. Its incredible to just pop it out of the dock and continue my Zelda gaming in bedroom lying down and then take it work the next day before sliding back into its proper home in the evening.

I am really happy with both Zelda and Snipperclips (playing with wife is so much fun). Saw that the Wipeout clone is $20 and might pick that up for a nice of change of pace from the other 2 titles. I cannot wait for next round of games like Splatoon and MK8!

Fast Racing is pretty cool. I'm surprised how much I like it.

Might as well wait until Nintendo implements the cloud saving like those developer documents said would exist later.

lol Wishful thinking that they will implement this before my 15 or even 90 day return date?

Okay thanks, so it's not a technical/proprietary limitation and a cheaper third party dock should happen eventually. Good to know.

I'm surprised none are out yet, but I guess it's a bit more complicated than a case or a screen protector.

whoa a third part dock solutions sound interesting as hell. I wonder if someone would be able to put in more hardware to output at 4k :O

Anyone else having an issue with their TV screen occasionally going black when, of course, playing docked? I didn't have an issue for the first two days, but now it is acting up. It happened last night and I just picked it up and then put it back into the dock, fixing it for the rest of the night. Now it is happening again, but as I am typing this, it may have fixed itself? Weird; I'm going to unplug the HDMI cable on both ends and monitor what happens in the furture.

hwy_61

Banned
Anyone else having an issue with their TV screen occasionally going black when, of course, playing docked? I didn't have an issue for the first two days, but now it is acting up. It happened last night and I just picked it up and then put it back into the dock, fixing it for the rest of the night. Now it is happening again, but as I am typing this, it may have fixed itself? Weird; I'm going to unplug the HDMI cable on both ends and monitor what happens in the furture.

Try a different hdmi cable?

linkboy

Mine did it once, but hasn't done it since.

Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue though.

So my friend told me that the Switch joycons, when playing on the portable mode, feel loose... and very bendable. I've only seen a few Youtube videos confirming something like this.

Is this true to any of you? I want the Switch for the portability, but I don't want the joycons to feel loose or cheap.

Mine have a tiny bit of give to them, as in yes, they're not 100% immobile, just 99%. They by no means flop around or feel loose. That small bit of give is to aid in shock absorption in case you drop it. A 100% fixed, rigid item will shatter.

JakeD

Ok wtf. Put my fully charged switch in sleep mode and put it in my case. Came back a few hours later and it's hot as hell with a drained battery and stuck on the "press button three times". Must have been stuck like that for hours. Isn't the whole point of those prompts to prevent accidental wake ups?

Draper

Anyone else feel the volume is very weak on their unit? Hell, even with headphones, I have to turn it all the way up.

mkvl

Neo Member
This has been my favourite launch purchase since the N64. Playing Zelda in almost any situation makes the Switch so good. I've been one of the lucky guys who hadn't got any real hardware problem until now.
I'm just loving the concept and I honestly hope that Nintendo get the sales it needs to iterate on this and leave behind the two consoles business.

Try a different hdmi cable?

Mine did it once, but hasn't done it since.

Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue though.

Well shit, I tried other ports and it wasn't even displaying and now the port I originally had it in won't display either :/

I had issues with getting to to appear on my TV at launch that I was never able to figure out and it seems to be happening again.

I have a Sony X800D 43" in case anybody was wondering.

Guys, GUYS?

How is the hori hard pouch?

Can I fit games, joycon straps and USB cable for charging?

Games and joy-con straps or USB cable.

You'd be hard pressed to fit both joy-con straps and a USB cable at the same time.

Source: I have it and cramming all that in there feels like it will put too much pressure on the screen. Right now i'm just rolling with a USB cable since i'm anti-social and don't anticipate much impromptu multiplayer while i'm out.

Well shit, I tried other ports and it wasn't even displaying and now the port I originally had it in won't display either :/

I had issues with getting to to appear on my TV at launch that I was never able to figure out and it seems to be happening again.

I have a Sony X800D 43" in case anybody was wondering.

I changed out my HDMI cable the first day because of issues like these.

Gotta give Nintendo props on their turnaround time on repairs.

Switch crashed whenever I booted a game on launch day. Called them up, printed the UPS label and shipped the package Saturday, got there yesterday. Just got an e-mail saying it'll be back tomorrow.

hwy_61

Banned
Gotta give Nintendo props on their turnaround time on repairs.

Switch crashed whenever I booted a game on launch day. Called them up, printed the UPS label and shipped the package Saturday, got there yesterday. Just got an e-mail saying it'll be back tomorrow.

Damn that is quick

ACE 1991

Shitty launch lineup aside, are you happy with your Switch as a piece of hardware? I can get one at pretty close to retail and I'm curious what everyone thinks now that we're a few days past launch.

linkboy

Shitty launch lineup aside, are you happy with your Switch as a piece of hardware? I can get one at pretty close to retail and I'm curious what everyone thinks now that we're a few days past launch.

I'm more then happy with mine. Besides Zelda, I've got Fast RMX and Shovel Knight - Treasure Trove.

Is it perfect, no, but I can say that for all of my game consoles.

I love it. It's one of the first pieces of hardware that feels genuinely new in a unique and creative way in quite some time. Yes, the OS is VERY bare bones right now, yes there's not much beyond Zelda to play (But to be fair, Zelda is probably the strongest launch title I've ever seen for a console). The hardware itself is awesome though.

I just tried two other HDMI cables and connecting it to my monitor. Nothing worked :(

Starting to think my dock is faulty

Maybe try turning off HDMI-CEC? Could that be causing issues?

enbred

Banned
100 % go with the tempered glass. I had the PDP one initially but after changing to the amFilm tempered glass I can say it is a huge improvement.

Huge improvement in what regard? Obviously glass is more durable, but did you also find it more clear or what?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Very happy with the hardware so far. I'm addicted to Zelda on this thing, and have been loving my other software (Fast RMX and Shovel Knight) save for Bomberman which I'm hoping Konami decides to patch and optimize.

spekkeh

Banned
So er I tried to login to my university network, but the Switch can't connect to wifi that requires a login name. That's so incredibly derp. That shit needs to be updated pronto.

You know why things don't improve?

Because people accept what they have been given.

It's 2017.

How can any of you possibly defend some of problems with this device at launch?

I give up.

Nintendo will release the Switch 3 in 2025 and it won't be able to message friends at launch and you guys will still be fine with it.

You keep rewarding poor performance and you get the version of the Switch that we've gotten.

You'll cry when you're 50 hours into Zelda and something happens to your Switch. Then you'll wish Nintendo had saves transfers or at least cloud backups like every other damn gaming company has provided for years.

This is pretty funny. Had to re-read it a few times.

So I went through the process of making sure that all of my Nintendo accounts were all synced up leading to the launch of the Switch. As a result, when I created my user profile on the Switch I signed using my email and password. Since all of my Nintendo accounts were definitely all synced up I didn't think it would be necessary to log in with my old Nintendo Network ID credentials. Since then I've noticed that the My Nintendo rewards doesn't seem to reflect this. I redeemed my copy of Zelda for points but I did not get points for buying a packaged $60 Switch title. Any one else having this issue?

lenovox1

Ok wtf. Put my fully charged switch in sleep mode and put it in my case. Came back a few hours later and it's hot as hell with a drained battery and stuck on the "press button three times". Must have been stuck like that for hours. Isn't the whole point of those prompts to prevent accidental wake ups?

It, oddly to me, has a ten minute long awake time by default. I'm thinking if you're actually taking the Switch out of the house, it should be much much shorter.

You know why things don't improve?

Because people accept what they have been given.

It's 2017.

How can any of you possibly defend some of problems with this device at launch?

I give up.

Nintendo will release the Switch 3 in 2025 and it won't be able to message friends at launch and you guys will still be fine with it.

You keep rewarding poor performance and you get the version of the Switch that we've gotten.

You'll cry when you're 50 hours into Zelda and something happens to your Switch. Then you'll wish Nintendo had saves transfers or at least cloud backups like every other damn gaming company has provided for years.

You either think the console is worth $300 and you buy it, or you don't and you either don't buy it or return it. There's no need to get emotional about it.

I really couldn't care less about whether or not I can message my friends from my game console—that's what my phone and computer is for, and when I'm immersed in a game I don't want to be distracted.

I do wish I had a way to back up saves locally if not to the cloud, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Why does the Switch wake up from sleep mode when it hits 100% charging? It should never wake up from sleep mode unless I manually wake it up. Is there a way to change this?

Gun Animal

Anyone else had problems with the gyroscope? The motion-aiming in BOTW works great sometimes, but other times it's constantly curving to the left.

I love the console but I have a weird vibe of the very first Nintendo DS model with it.

Anyone feels that way?

The OG DS was a clunky eyesore with a downgraded Mario 64 as it's "killer app"

The Switch is a sleek modern design with one of the best games of all time on launch day

I don't see the resemblance personally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom