• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else feel the volume is very weak on their unit? Hell, even with headphones, I have to turn it all the way up.

I have definitely noticed that the sound quality in handheld mode is nowhere near as good as the Wii U Gamepad, unfortunately. Though the Wii U Gamepad does have very good speakers. It's one of my favourite things about it.

You either think the console is worth $300 and you buy it, or you don't and you either don't buy it or return it. There's no need to get emotional about it.

I really couldn't care less about whether or not I can message my friends from my game console—that's what my phone and computer is for, and when I'm immersed in a game I don't want to be distracted.

I do wish I had a way to back up saves locally if not to the cloud, but it's not a dealbreaker.

So does that mean Nintendo should not release those features?

Spy

Why does the Switch wake up from sleep mode when it hits 100% charging? It should never wake up from sleep mode unless I manually wake it up. Is there a way to change this?
The one that annoys me more than this is when you plug it in while it's powered off and it turns on.

You either think the console is worth $300 and you buy it, or you don't and you either don't buy it or return it. There's no need to get emotional about it.

I really couldn't care less about whether or not I can message my friends from my game console—that's what my phone and computer is for, and when I'm immersed in a game I don't want to be distracted.

I do wish I had a way to back up saves locally if not to the cloud, but it's not a dealbreaker.

There it is. The classic deflection when someone points out a missing standard feature.

"I don't personally care about it, so it shouldn't matter to anyone else either"

Guess what? No one is forcing you to use it. The other consoles let you turn off notifications if you don't want them "distracting" you as you play out your game fantasies.

Ssseth

Neo Member
Yeah, I feel like it's more forgivable on monitors though because the borders aren't flush with the screen.

In any case I can't see myself playing Zelda, 3D Mario, or multiplayer Mario Kart on this screen for any extended period of time. But I haven't actually turned the thing on yet, so we'll see. Could've sworn the Wii U gamepad had a bigger screen, but maybe not.
Nope, both are 6.2". The Wii U gamepad just has a ton of extra bulk around it since it was never designed to leave the living room.

I have definitely noticed that the sound quality in handheld mode is nowhere near as good as the Wii U Gamepad, unfortunately. Though the Wii U Gamepad does have very good speakers. It's one of my favourite things about it.
Agreed, but it was just a streaming device with no processing power and it didn't have to worry as much about portability. The thing was huge and there was tons of extra space in that thing. The Switch doesn't have that luxury.

u2zIg.jpg

I know I said that I would never play the Switch un-docked, but ya didn't have to send me a faulty dock to make me un-dock it, Nintendo ;) (godddd dammit)

So, is there a consensus on the best launch multiplayer game? I am loving Zelda, but something I can play with gf would be cool too.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I want a cheap, high quality slim ish case that takes a Switch WITH joysticks attached.

Amazon saying 12-15 years before the Hori/RDS ones are back in stock. Any suggestions?

So, is there a consensus on the best launch multiplayer game? I am loving Zelda, but something I can play with gf would be cool too.

I've heard good things about scissor whatsit and the Wipeout thing.

Mirand

Is there a way for software to go automatically to the SD card over the system memory, or does the system memory fill up first before shifting to the card?

Chopini

Neo Member
So my friend told me that the Switch joycons, when playing on the portable mode, feel loose... and very bendable. I've only seen a few Youtube videos confirming something like this.

Is this true to any of you? I want the Switch for the portability, but I don't want the joycons to feel loose or cheap.

Mine seems too bit loose on both side. Strangely on the left side, I have no problem, there is a bit of wobble but no noise. The right side however seems more loose and creak. I think the problem is it creaking make me feel it every time I move analog stick.

Not sure if this is caused by me after forcing the wrist strap off my right joycon. I did attached to the correct side but it still hard to get it off unlike my left joy con. I did not notice this creaking on my day 1. I did not want to drop another $80 just to replace an joy con. This really off putting me from handheld mode play.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Best multiplayer games I would have to say are Snipperclips and Fast RMX. A friend recently brought over their 1-2 Switch and it is definitely fun for parties, but I couldn't see it being very entertaining after the first bout.

Pat

Is there a way for software to go automatically to the SD card over the system memory, or does the system memory fill up first before shifting to the card?

Curious, my Switch fills up my sd card before the system memory by default.

kaskade

So far my hardware seems ok. No dead pixels that I noticed which is my biggest annoyance with new LCD devices. Thankfully there aren't with the clean white UI.

I want a cheap, high quality slim ish case that takes a Switch WITH joysticks attached.

Amazon saying 12-15 years before the Hori/RDS ones are back in stock. Any suggestions?

I just got the Mario version of this and absolutely love it thus far. It's slim while still feeling protective, and it still has space for game carts too. Only slight downside is that you need to slide the Switch into the mesh pouch vertically, but it's really not a huge deal.

Ssseth

Neo Member
I've been playing Zelda on the screen every night and the difference between it and my TV aren't really worth noting. The screen is crisp/high enough quality to where it doesn't feel like a big deal.

Will obviously vary from person to person, but that's my experience.
I suppose it depends on screen size and distance from the screen. My main home theater area has a 90" projector screen and I'm only 8-10 feet away so that makes a huge difference.

For standard 50-60" setups 10 feet away I can see it not making as much of a difference for sure. A bit more comfortable though, especially with the Pro Controller. Depends on your personal situation/setup and preference though of course.

I noticed this morning the fan on my Switch being really loud (i'm talking like a laptop fan loud) when waking from sleep. Not during heavy hardware use, but waking from sleep.

anyone run into this?

lenovox1

I just got the Mario version of this and absolutely love it thus far. It's slim while still feeling protective, and it still has space for game carts too. Only slight downside is that you need to slide the Switch into the mesh pouch vertically, but it's really not a huge deal.

The Nintendo Switch is supposed to go inside the mesh part? Oh.

I didn't know that. I thought that was an accessory pocket. It makes more sense as an accessory pocket.

But, yeah, PDP seemingly shipped a lot of those things out. You can probably find them in any retail store that sells the NS.

The Target I bought my NS from had more PDP cases in all their variations than they had Nintendo Switch's.

It's SNIPPERCLIPS FranKIE! How about you get it right!!!

=P

I noticed this morning the fan on my Switch being really loud (i'm talking like a laptop fan loud) when waking from sleep. Not during heavy hardware use, but waking from sleep.

anyone run into this?

That seems to happen to me on occasion, but I haven't worried about it. It never lasts for more than a few seconds. Almost seems like it's just kicking them on quick as a test.

Huge thread, probably answered, is there a portable charger that can work on the switch?

I don't know of a specific one, but I think the consensus is that you need one that supports USB-C on both ends. USB-A chargers seem to be hit or miss as to whether or not they'll actually charge. I'm using the charger that came with my wife's Macbook and it works perfectly.

I grabbed one at my local Gamestop yesterday! I'd say look at retail stores first and foremost.

The Nintendo Switch is supposed to go inside the mesh part? Oh.

I didn't know that. I thought that was an accessory pocket. It makes more sense as an accessory pocket.

But, yeah, PDP seemingly shipped a lot of those things out. You can probably find them in any retail store that sells the NS.

The Target I bought my NS from had more PDP cases in all their variations than they had Nintendo Switch's.

Yep yep! That's where the photos seem to show that it belongs. I use it as a day to day travel case for just the Switch itself and eventually some games. I have the case that came with Zelda for instances where I'll want to travel with accessories.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

I found the RDS case at a Target nearby. I'd try there perhaps. It's worth seeking out, it's a good one. Alternatively, order a Hori from Amazon.co.jp maybe?

jmizzal

I want to Bestbuy they had no Switch games all sold out lol, the Switch section was barren, Target did have a few games but accessories were all gone.

So I've seen some horrible video compilations of fatal glitches or broken Switches. Sometimes the joycons don't register, sometimes the whole system seems to die and make loud noises.

I'm scared to buy this first version of the switch.

Will there be hardware revisions in this first generation of the console? I don't want to spend that much money on a device that may break for so many different reasons...

enbred

Banned
I love the console but I have a weird vibe of the very first Nintendo DS model with it.

Anyone feels that way?

I don't have my Switch yet (should be here any day now) but I did get that vibe from it since the first reveal.

I know the two look nothing alike, but the Switch design and finish has that "version 1" look to it that won't be obvious until after we see the next iteration and compare it to the current one. Just like what happened with the DS and DS Lite.

It's not a knock on the Switch in any way in my view. I believe it is the best it could have been at the time of its release, and I'm glad to have the Switch as it is today than to have had a more refined one a year or so later. I bought it now and I'll be it again when Nintendo improves on it, like I've done with most of the company's handhelds.

There it is. The classic deflection when someone points out a missing standard feature.

"I don't personally care about it, so it shouldn't matter to anyone else either"

What I meant was, "I don't personally care about it, and that's why I bought a Switch."

If the feature is important to you, don't buy a Switch.

It's a product. You have a choice.

Seik

Banned

Guess what? No one is forcing you to use it. The other consoles let you turn off notifications if you don't want them "distracting" you as you play out your game fantasies.

He never said that it shouldn't matter to anyone else, you're straight up putting words in his/her mouth.

I'm in the same kind, if I want to contact someone I'll just text or use messenger. OF COURSE, it is not ideal in direct comparison with other consoles. But I won't refrain myself buying a console I want because it doesn't have a feature that I'll most likely never use. I basically never use the message system on my PS4 either.

Sure, if that's a deal breaker for you, don't buy it or contact Nintendo to voice your concern. There's no reason to come and shit on the people here because they bought one, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know it's stupid question, but it's really important

I got multi travel adapter, the voltage is 110~250v , my Switch is the US version and the AC adapter with the console is 100~240v

is this gonna work if I plug the US Switch AC adapter in the travel plug that I had?

If you don't need the dock, then a 2.4A 5v USB charger with a USB-A to C cable should charge it with might be more suitable for travelling?

I got my Switch yesterday and I've been playing lots of the Puyo demo. All I have right now is that and Snipperclips until tomorrow evening when Zelda arrives from Amazon. It took a bit to get used to the Joycons but I really like them so far.

So I've seen some horrible video compilations of fatal glitches or broken Switches. Sometimes the joycons don't register, sometimes the whole system seems to die and make loud noises.

I'm scared to buy this first version of the switch.

Will there be hardware revisions in this first generation of the console? I don't want to spend that much money on a device that may break for so many different reasons...

Honestly, you can find compilations like that for just about any piece of day one tech. If you watched similar content for the PS4 launch, you'd think that every console was a dud. From what I recall they had issues with:

- HDMI ports not sending a signal
- Consoles that wouldn't start up (this happened to me)
- Failing power/eject touch buttons
- wobblegate
- DS4 analog sticks falling apart

For what it's worth, I got my Switch on day one and haven't experienced any of the hardware issues that most have reported. That's just the risk you take with being an early adopter. Even with revisions you'll still find defects, they're just likely to be less common/talked about. That being said, we have no idea if we'll get a revised Switch down the line. Most Nintendo hardware will see at least one going by their history, but Wii-U didn't follow that trend.

//ARCANUM

The official case is actually my favorite, is slim, sleek, and does a good protective job.

Wtf is this repair process. They want you to do a troubleshoot guide before the process can begin and upon completing it, it says "If an image is not displayed on the TV screen even while using a different HDMI cable, or if different HDMI cable is unavailable, this could indicate an issue with the dock, and it will need to be repaired."

It doesn't give me an option to continue. Just a message saying yeah your shit is busted :V

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I found the RDS case at a Target nearby. I'd try there perhaps. It's worth seeking out, it's a good one. Alternatively, order a Hori from Amazon.co.jp maybe?

I went to target, Best Buy and Fred Myer - this neighborhood is basically Nintendo and Xbox employees so I think stuff like that gets hammered.

Honestly, you can find compilations like that for just about any piece of day one tech. If you watched similar content for the PS4 launch, you'd think that every console was a dud. From what I recall they had issues with:

- HDMI ports not sending a signal
- Consoles that wouldn't start up (this happened to me)
- Failing power/eject touch buttons
- wobblegate
- DS4 analog sticks falling apart

For what it's worth, I got my Switch on day one and haven't experienced any of the hardware issues that most have reported. That's just the risk you take with being an early adopter. Even with revisions you'll still find defects, they're just likely to be less common/talked about. That being said, we have no idea if we'll get a revised Switch down the line. Most Nintendo hardware will see at least one going by their history, but Wii-U didn't follow that trend.

Ok, this sounds reassuring. I won't have the money for the console for a few more months but eventually I need to play Zelda... ;_;

Wtf is this repair process. They want you to do a troubleshoot guide before the process can begin and upon completing it, it says "If an image is not displayed on the TV screen even while using a different HDMI cable, or if different HDMI cable is unavailable, this could indicate an issue with the dock, and it will need to be repaired."

It doesn't give me an option to continue. Just a message saying yeah your shit is busted :V
Do yourself a favor and send it to repair. You'll have it back soon and everything should be just fine. Better than being constantly frustrated.

Do yourself a favor and send it to repair. You'll have it back soon and everything should be just fine. Better than being constantly frustrated.

That's what I'm trying to do, but their site is being screwy or something!

Ojr8j6o.png

I can only get as far as step one. I complete the troubleshoot steps related to my issue, but nothing happens after that :/

2Kkiuar.png

The highlighted text doesn't happen at all.

I can only get as far as step one. I complete the troubleshoot steps related to my issue, but nothing happens after that :/

I had the same problem. I was going to send mine in for repair but couldn't even find the option, so I just decided to return it to Amazon and buy another one somewhere else.

Ojr8j6o.png

2Kkiuar.png

I would just call them. Nintendo has some of the better customer reps that I have run into when it comes to getting hardware repairs scheduled. Pretty painless process over the phone when we had to have my wife's 3DS repaired a few years back.

I've only been to a single Target so far, but their accessories section was bombarded. They only had one set of additional grey joycons left.
I'm still looking for that RDS case, don't want to wait 1-2 months for the amazon one. But I might have to haha

I had the same problem. I was going to send mine in for repair but couldn't even find the option, so I just decided to return it to Amazon and buy another one somewhere else.

I would just call them. Nintendo has some of the better customer reps that I have run into when it comes to getting hardware repairs scheduled. Pretty painless process over the phone when we had to have my wife's 3DS repaired a few years back.

Yeah, I'm just going to call. I think I figured out why the option isn't appearing. They still use Adobe Flash and Chrome really doesn't want me to enable it. Tried to get through with Internet Explorer and even that blocked their plugin lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom