• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyox

Can't download the update for Zelda. Keeps on saying my game is corrupted. Anyone else experiencing this?

lt519

HDMI cable is way too short, good thing I have a spare 6 ft.

AC adapter fits like a glove in the power strip. Glad I got an extra though.

SRTtoZ

So you can't fully turn off the console when using the joycon controllers?

Holding down the home button only allows you to put it in sleep mode.

You're right, and that's pretty annoying since I'm not a fan of always having sleep on, but yea it seems you have to physically press the power button on the system while docked to turn it off.

I do however like everything else in the UI. For example I have 2 Joy-Cons attached to the system while docked and I have 2 Joy-Cons in the grip and when you go to the controller section of the UI it tells you the battery % for all 5 units (4 controllers and the Switch). Very slick and simple.

HDMI cable is way too short, good thing I have a spare 6 ft.

Yea I didn't even use it, I used one I had laying around.

Can't download the update for Zelda. Keeps on saying my game is corrupted. Anyone else experiencing this?

Nope, worked fine for me earlier today. Can you play the game? Try restarting device and re-inserting the cartridge. It could possibly be a network thing at this hour since every one is getting their Switches now.

Amazon very kindly delivered mine a little early, so I had some time to play around with it this evening.

Very cool how the transition between its different modes is seamless. Everything seemed to work pretty well. I was wondering though, did anyone else have some trouble getting the little wrist strap pieces on/off the joycons?

SRTtoZ

I know I'm not the first to ask, but do I need a pro controller? Please think for me.

As someone who uses the XB1 Elite controller for almost everything, I love the Joy-cons feel in my hands, either using one in each hand or attached to the grip feels good. I'd say try them out before you jump on the Pro. I was VERY surprised.

What store let's you return a game if you hate it? Is that a new policy because I wish I had that when I bought games ages ago
They only let me exchange it for another copy of said game lol

1,2 BOMBA
I put it in, just to find out there is only 2 player local... no way to even start the game without a second person in the room. #fail

SRTtoZ

What store let's you return a game if you hate it? Is that a new policy because I wish I had that when I bought games ages ago
They only let me exchange it for another copy of said game lol

1,2 BOMBA

I don't think any. Gamestop will take a new game back if its open as long as you don't abuse returns but they don't have to allow you to return it, so you could get screwed.

Dominator

69534EE9-9093-44B8-A987-1198E60E0435_zpsxznxdoaj.jpg

Now I wait...

SRTtoZ

Of course I put the screen protector on like a gimp...FML.

I hate screen protectors for this reason lol. One grain of dust and I'm not happy with it. The only ones I can consistently apply are the Zagg ones but they are also pretty expensive.

Got a pro controller, quick case, and physical copy of Zelda at Bic Camera.

Downloading the Zelda update now.

See y'all on the other side.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Any immediate benefits of linking my nintendo account? I have a handful of digital games bought via Wii U eshop - is it a fool's errand to believe -anything- will be carried over?

On another note, not gonna lie...am getting a bit hyped.

Wii: didn't like the console - loved the library
Wii U: still didnt like it - loved the library
3DSXL: sold it off pretty quickly, handheld gaming ain't my thing really...

Whatever technically neutered, overpriced monstrosity of a hybrid product the Switch turns out to be I can't wait to play some of that Nintendo magic.

KingBroly

Banned
A LOT of people who didn't pre-order at my Gamestop tonight

A lot who did too.

I'd say...35-40 people in total. All got one

lt519

Happy to say sitting ten feet from my TV with the dock behind a glass TV stand door, left joy con has no problems even with it behind my back.

Atheerios

WTF... Just like the 3ds and Wii U you need to remove your Nintendo Account before selling the console. There's no way to deactivate your account without the console itself, unless you call Nintendo.

Seik

Banned
I just tried being at 6ft of my console, calibrating the joystick of both joy-cons and trying to block the signal with my hand and put it behind my back, no problem at all!

Yay!

Yousefb

Man this is torture. I have been standing outside of Best Buy for an hour plus in the cold NYC weather to pick up my pre order. It's 1 am now and the line is moving at a snails pace. The best part? There's a gamestop across the street with no line and people are simply walking in, picking up their orders, and leaving. I have no idea why Best buy seems to have trouble doing the same thing.

Someone in line also brought up a good point, why the hell aren't they letting us line up inside? Lol it's freezing out here and this particular store is massive.

VanWinkle

First impressions. My literal first thoughts when holding it were that it wasn't as premium feeling as I was expecting from the reviews and impressions. After a few minutes it's starting to feel better as my expectations are getting more realistic. First impression on seeing the screen was that it wasn't that great. That's starting to look a little nicer to me, too. I'm used to VERY nice displays so it just took me a little bit to adjust my expectations.

The Joy-Cons....ehhhh. Definitely not as ergonomic/comfortable as I was hoping they'd be. They'll take some time, for sure, but my fingers don't seem to rest naturall on the triggers nor on the face buttons. Hopefully I'll get used to them.

ScribbleD

A LOT of people who didn't pre-order at my Gamestop tonight

A lot who did too.

I'd say...35-40 people in total. All got one

By what sorcery did they acquire that much stock? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because the most I've seen any one store within 10 miles of me have is 7. Seven.

maxcriden

Dang, now eShop isn't loading. Maybe it's late njght internet slowness or...Something.

Ooh this pro controller is sexy, feels like Christmas.

You can't make me do it, lt. I'm not opening mine unless I know for sure the available control schemes aren't good for me... ;^^

Jeels

Standing in line at best buy. They are letting only a few people in at a time. Thank fuck for preorders because they sold out of non preorders only a few people behind me

Brewmont

Banned
So I'm not a Nintendo gamer these days...too little amount of games I care about to justify the cost. But I'm now in a job where I travel for work so I entertained the idea of getting a switch. After watching the giantbomb quick look of Zelda I figured I'd go to Walmart to see if I could get one. Surprisingly I got there before the line got too long, but as I was waiting I started thinking how I'd really be buying this for one game and hoping other games in the future piqued my interest. Mix that with the fact that I just got a PS4 Pro and 4K TV around Black Friday and have a ton of games to get through, I got cold feet and went home lol

I'm gonna see how this thing does and what comes out for it, and maybe get it later this year.

Yousefb

Standing in line at best buy. They are letting only a few people in at a time. Thank fuck for preorders because they sold out of non preorders only a few people behind me
Dude, same. This best buy is killing me at the pace they're going. Kinda wish I just waited til tomorrow after work to pick it up. Too late to back out now.

My cousin just straight up walked into a store and bought one a couple minutes ago after he got off work, he literally didn't wait in line at all. Just walked up and got one. O__o

I'd say wait first and see how you use the system most. Maybe you end up pöaying in handheld mode a lot.

The included grip should be fine for short sessions as long as you don't need fine directional control. If you're not planning to play fighting games or something in docked mode you shouldn't really need a pro Controller.

maxcriden

My console update is stuck at 47% with 259 mins remaining? Wtf is this?

Servers appear well and screwed at the moment. Come on Nintendo.... This is why I bought a physical copy of BOTW as a backup. The update download worked for me and so did purchasing Zelda digitally but now the download isn't downloading and the eShop can't be accessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom