• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laws00

I'm at a GameStop right now there is a line for a switch hopefully I get one lol

Got a few boxes guy said there are like 5 in a box and they have like 3 boxes.

I'm like 9 in line

Wish me luck

kirby_fox

Banned
So I bought the Zelda DLC last night and it said it was installing...but I don't have anything different in-game. I thought there was some kind of bonuses for ordering it that you got now like a Switch shirt? I didn't get any of that.

So I bought the Zelda DLC last night and it said it was installing...but I don't have anything different in-game. I thought there was some kind of bonuses for ordering it that you got now like a Switch shirt? I didn't get any of that.

You have to open the chests on the Plateau to get that stuff.

Laws00

GOT IT!! Will post pictures when I get home!

No game just going to try to see if they have collectors Zelda at Best Buy or target

And for some reason they don't have any bags.

...oh. Reading here, I suddenly realized that I've had my Switch for some twenty days and haven't tried out the grip yet. Being able to hold the two controller halves freehand-style has been among the most comfortable control setups I've ever used. I sort of had a taste of this with the Wii, though the cord added some awkwardness and the remote wasn't as ergonomical.

So comfort aside, is there any particular reason I might want to try out the grip?

...or those strap things. Haven't touched those either.

The straps should make the way your playing now more comfortable. Rounds off the other side and adds a little bulk to it.

fernoca

This is the only question I have a quick answer to: as I recall the answer is yes, it immediately went into handheld mode while in the dock for me. I lost power for a minute or two during a recent snow storm.
Awesome. Great news at least, since I don't have to worry about it turning itself off and losing progress/data.

I want some kind of Follow Up to Octopath Traveller

Since it was announced as a project name though I wonder if I can even expect it as a 2017 title

JaseMath

Traversing the eShop last night was really disheartening. The whole experience just feels like an incomplete beta. Navigation is clumsy, the interface is boring, there's no music/sounds, and to top it all off, as I was punching in my CC info, I got the clicks/selection sounds, like, 20% of the time, and even then, they came delayed. The whole thing just felt like a very robust dev environment.

Laws00

Just came back from GameStop and they had a collectors edition of Zelda breath of the wild!!

Box is a little banged up but whatever

Lucky day lucky day

TheContact

Officially depressed. Was told our local GameStop yesterday would have the switch so I kept going by and checking and it never came in. He said to come in today. I went when they opened at 10 and he said no shipments came in yet. I waited until 11 when I had to go to work, and I came back at 12 on my lunch break and he was selling the last one. I called another game stop a town over and he said they received a shipment but he hasn't opened it yet. I got really excited and drove there and he said there might have been an error in shipment because they weren't included in his delivery. Fuck. I'm done with this until they're back in stock

Called my Gamestop when they opened, they had five. Got there 10 minutes later, they had three. Got mine and by the time I walked out the door two more people were in line for the last ones. Happy to be able to dive into Zelda, although I'm going to have to hunt down a Pro controller tomorrow because the default one was not made for grown-ass hands.

...oh. Reading here, I suddenly realized that I've had my Switch for some twenty days and haven't tried out the grip yet. Being able to hold the two controller halves freehand-style has been among the most comfortable control setups I've ever used. I sort of had a taste of this with the Wii, though the cord added some awkwardness and the remote wasn't as ergonomical.

So comfort aside, is there any particular reason I might want to try out the grip?

...or those strap things. Haven't touched those either.

Yeah I basically did the same thing. I tried out the grip the first day I got it for like 10 minutes and haven't touched it since. Split joycons is so incredibly superior to any other controller I've ever used. It's crazy. Nintendo somehow nailed the ergonomics on this.

I also haven't used the straps since I found out how hard they are to remove. It's honestly not too bad playing horizontally in Snipperclips for instance.

No. Pro Controller is luxurious as hell, but the grip is very serviceable and gets the job done. It's comfortable, just not Pro Controller-comfortable. Plus, split Joycons (one in each hand) is also absurdly comfy to use. Pro Controller is only a must for when you'll eventually want a proper D-Pad, but Zelda doesn't need it.

Ooooooh, I totally forgot you could do split controller. I think that solidifies the decision for now. Thanks for the responses all!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Where I live, people are very interactive with each other, for some, it's totally worth the price, just like how I have friends that got a Wii for Wii sports.

Oh, so you're a bunch of hip people not like me and my friends.

A friend bought a Wii U after we played Nintendo Land and Wii Party U at our place several time, but got everything second hand and it was really cheap.

Glix

Where I live, people are very interactive with each other, for some, it's totally worth the price, just like how I have friends that got a Wii for Wii sports.

I've seen lots of similar comments, I have 4 main groups of friends, two of them consist mainly of "hardcore gamers" and I was sure they were ready to tear the game apart (and they were) just like they did to Wii sports, and to my surprise, they ended up loving it and pushed some to want a Switch so they can play 12S with their friends/family.

Since I've gotten the Switch, my weekend has been nothing other than 12S, seeing those who are dear to me being happy is priceless, but I understand that it's not for everyone. I still hope that Nintendo will eventually release a sequel to Wii sports and Nintendo land.

Do you guys randomly go to other peoples roof parties and play?

What about after a pickup bball game?

I've put 60 hours into Zelda so far and maybe 15 of that docked using the Pro controller. Also have played Bomberman and just messed around with the UI. That Pro controller was charged to 100% on launch night. I still havnt recharged it and it still shows like 3/4 full. Controller is crazy good.

I've put 60 hours into Zelda so far and maybe 15 of that docked using the Pro controller. Also have played Bomberman and just messed around with the UI. That Pro controller was charged to 100% on launch night. I still havnt recharged it and it still shows like 3/4 full. Controller is crazy good.

yeah dude i fucking love the pro controller

Laws00

Damn right i'm lucky

IMG_0080.jpg

JaseMath

Anyone else having a problem actually seating the console in the dock? It seriously takes m e3-5 tries every time before the light turns green.

Anyone else having a problem actually seating the console in the dock? It seriously takes m e3-5 tries every time before the light turns green.

No so if there is an issue Id inspect the dock and console closely

there were a few reports of faulty manutfactured docks. Thats kind of where the whole screen scratching thing began

Check switch connection as well

Make sure dock isnt squished or damaged

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The lack of games on the Switch is pretty abysmal. Lets face it, the Switch is a $300 Zelda device.

There is no question that the console is a success, but if it wants to remain a power player in the console market there needs to be more games. My iPad is just as portable as the Switch, and it has longer battery life.

Please Nintendo, RELEASE MORE GAMES for the switch the ECOSYSTEM is SPARSE.

The damn thing hasn't even been out three weeks yet. Simmer down.

Does the back of anyone's Switch look like the matte finish has worn down unevenly all over? I can't tell if it was my case or what but it almost looks like it's covered in handprints on the back but it still looks like that after being cleaned.

My Grey switch looks a little worn around the buttons..

also +1 with a spring sound on my right Joycon stick.

70 hours of zelda.

I take good care of my stuff too.

Got lucky today. I'm such sucker for new consoles. Told myself I would not get a Switch. I caved and got one today at Target. They had 15 units. Some poor guy was there since 4:00am, I rolled up around 7:50am, was the 4th person in line.

Gonna pick up some games from Best Buy later today. Gotta use that Gamers Unlocked discount.

atmuh

I can further confirm that they are repairing joycons instead of just sending a new one. My left one wasn't working and I sent it to them Monday, received it today working perfectly. I know it was mine because of a little mark I remember making in the control stick by mistake.

It's always quite easy to tell if someone has actually held a Switch before by whether they say "wow it's much smaller than I thought" or "it's really not portable"

I dunno, I find it odd thinking how big some people were expecting. In fact, when everyone kept saying how small it was, I thought I had the wrong perception about it only to get it and think, nope, that's about how big I expected it to be, if not a little bigger given how everyone kept saying it was so small.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone having issues with the Eshop? Trying to redeem a Zelda expansion pass but it reports an error when opening it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom