• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

I've gotta say, the lack of a real d-pad in the joycon is bumming me out. This device would be the ultimate portable indie machine with a real d-pad. The Pro controller is great, but doesn't help when I'm playing in bed.

I just had a real bad time in some Shovel Knight levels. 😔

I've actually just beaten both the main Shovel Knight campaign and Plague of Shadows with the regular joycons (handheld mode). By the time I was done Shovel Knight I had become used to it.

I still want a regular ass d-pad tho

tehbible

The lack of games on the Switch is pretty abysmal. Lets face it, the Switch is a $300 Zelda device.

There is no question that the console is a success, but if it wants to remain a power player in the console market there needs to be more games. My iPad is just as portable as the Switch, and it has longer battery life.

Please Nintendo, RELEASE MORE GAMES for the switch the ECOSYSTEM is SPARSE.

In fact, why isn't Valve making it's own portable device? They have so many indie games they can shell out.

Intel needs to make an SoC + heavy duty iGPU a la Iris Pro that Valve can use for their Steam collection.

The lack of games on the Switch is pretty abysmal. Lets face it, the Switch is a $300 Zelda device.

There is no question that the console is a success, but if it wants to remain a power player in the console market there needs to be more games. My iPad is just as portable as the Switch, and it has longer battery life.

In fact, why isn't Valve making it's own portable device? They have so many indie games they can shell out.

Intel needs to make an SoC + heavy duty iGPU a la Iris Pro that Valve can use for their Steam collection.

You should make this into a thread.

1. What does your iPad have to do with anything?
2. Since when does Valve make gaming hardware?
3. Did you post this comment here before or after your thread got locked?
4. Games are coming. I dunno how you expect Nintendo just just suddenly release more games, like opening a pipe. Mario Kart 8 is next month.

watershed

Banned

Why did you make a thread for this comment?

tehbible

1. What does your iPad have to do with anything?
2. Since when does Valve make gaming hardware?
3. Did you post this comment here before or after your thread got locked?
4. Games are coming. I dunno how you expect Nintendo just just suddenly release more games, like opening a pipe. Mario Kart 8 is next month.

1. The iPad is a competitor to the Switch. They're both handheld gaming devices. And btw you can get the latest iPad for $329 now, which is cheaper than the Switch since it doesn't come with any games.

2. Valve started making hardware starting with the controller. They're definitely in the hardware space, albeit not the experience that Nintendo has obviously

3. Doesn't matter

4. Games are coming, but very few and far between. I checked the release dates for games and amount is very small. I'm hoping there will be more games released unexpectedly in the future. I think this console has put many devs by surprise.

banktree

Banned

...It's been out less than a month. Also your Ipad is not a console but enjoy your microtransactions.

Why isn't Valve making it's own portable device? Because they're intelligent? Look how well the Nvidia Shield isn't doing.

I can't believe I'm defending Nintendo considering how ill conceieved most of the Switch is and their actions for the last...decades? But FFS, it's not like they hid the release schedule. Mario Kart 8 hits next month, and before the year is out you're getting Smash Bros., a new 3D mario, Xenoblade 2, probably Pokemon, and who knows what else. What were you expecting?

Poppyseed

I've gotta say, the lack of a real d-pad in the joycon is bumming me out. This device would be the ultimate portable indie machine with a real d-pad. The Pro controller is great, but doesn't help when I'm playing in bed.

I just had a real bad time in some Shovel Knight levels. 😔

I find Shovel Knight so much easier via analog sticks. It's so uncomfortable to jump and attack down with a d-pad, even on the 3DS d-pad. Miles easier via analog in my opinion.

banktree

Banned
1. The iPad is a competitor to the Switch. They're both handheld gaming devices.

2. Valve started making hardware starting with the controller. They're definitely in the hardware space, albeit not the experience that Nintendo has obviously

3. Doesn't matter

4. Games are coming, but very few and far between. I checked the release dates for games and amount is very small. I'm hoping there will be more games released unexpectedly in the future. I think this console has put many devs by surprise.

1. The Ipad is not a handheld gaming device. The Ipad is a tablet that happens to play games among one of its many many functions.

2. Valve does not make systems. Their hardware, other than their controller which is explictly designed to make playing games on PC easier, is not made by them. Again, the Shield didn't/doesn't sell enough to make copycats worthwhile.

4. Games don't get released "Unexpectedly". Do you understand game development? The success may catch developers by surprise, but nobody was caught off guard by Nintendo making a console. You obviously didn't check release dates otherwise you would have been aware that the game releases were a known quantity, and something Nintendo was fine with.

tehbible

...It's been out less than a month. Also your Ipad is not a console but enjoy your microtransactions.

i'm looking at the upcoming release of switch games and the numbers are quite low. and no, neo geo games do not count for me.

Why isn't Valve making it's own portable device? Because they're intelligent? Look how well the Nvidia Shield isn't doing.

lmao the nvidia shield was more of a tech demo than anything else, and the shield actually is a great HTPC device as it supports 4k HDR. Also, NVIDIA is still making money for leasing out Tegra X1 SoC to Nintendo. They're doing quite fine and making money as long as Nintendo sells more consoles :)

I can't believe I'm defending Nintendo considering how ill conceieved most of the Switch is and their actions for the last...decades? But FFS, it's not like they hid the release schedule. Mario Kart 8 hits next month, and before the year is out you're getting Smash Bros., a new 3D mario, Xenoblade 2, probably Pokemon, and who knows what else. What were you expecting?

Thats not, that much? I'm coming from PC gaming perspective so maybe I have a bias.

Crayon

well i guess we both had some bad luck with our Switch dropping IN A CASE today. I can't believe the joycons are so fragile that they got messed up in a case for both of us. :(

Oh no arcanum. What happens to yours? Joycon damage or switch damage?

I'm not that surprised by the L button breaking on a direct impact even in the case. It's so tiny.

banktree

Banned
i'm looking at the upcoming release of switch games and the numbers are quite low. and no, neo geo games do not count for me.

lmao the nvidia shield was more of a tech demo than anything else, and the shield actually is a great HTPC device as it supports 4k HDR. Also, NVIDIA is still making money for leasing out Tegra X1 SoC to Nintendo. They're doing quite fine and making money as long as Nintendo sells more consoles :)

Thats not, that much? I'm coming from PC gaming perspective so maybe I have a bias.

...Ok? Again, the releases aren't hidden. We know how many games are coming out this year, minus any announcements at E3 and such. We knew that since January. Throwing a fit over it now when everyone got over it, especially when the big launch game is literally one of the greatest ever made, is silly. Were you upset when the N64 launched with literally ONE game? Same situation.

The Nvidia Shield is the thing you want Valve to make. Don't move goalposts, you want them to make a system that plays PC games portably. The Shield did that, and it didn't sell. Talking about an unrelated product doesn't change the fact that nobody cared about a portable PC game player. Good for it being able to be a HTPC, that has nothing to do with games.

Compared to PC every console has a sparse release. That's because consoles, for the most part, have someone that says "No, this game is shit." And anybody can publish a game on Steam. While sometimes crap falls through the cracks there usually is a minimum level of quality. Nintendo is doubling down on this by limiting what Indie publishers can release.

We had this discussion months ago. Yes, Nintendo is going to be sparse in their releases. We know that from the Wii, Wii U, and pretty much every console they've made since the N64. It's ok not to be happy about it, but bitching about it is useless, they are who they are and nothing is going to change them even if it does run them out of the business.

tehbible

The Nvidia Shield is the thing you want Valve to make. Don't move goalposts, you want them to make a system that plays PC games portably. The Shield did that, and it didn't sell. Talking about an unrelated product doesn't change the fact that nobody cared about a portable PC game player. Good for it being able to be a HTPC, that has nothing to do with games.

Not moving goalposts at all. Valve making an x86 compatible portable device would mean you can literally bring thousands of games into the palm of your hands. Obviously Steam would be the gatekeepers and curate which games would be allowed on their portable device. You can't do that with the Shield. I'm not talking about NVIDIA. I'm talking about Valve. They're two separate companies with two separate motivations.

NVIDIA wants to sell hardware.

Valve wants to push Steam platform further.

They're different.

mojo2

Neo Member
So the last couple times I've booted up my Switch and started Zelda the fan starts up really loudly before dying down after a few minutes. I don't recall it ever doing that before, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Doubt this is an issue or anything but I was just curious to see if anyone else had noticed this at all.

edit: This is both in handheld and docked mode.

Yeah, like every second time.

antibolo

Banned
Not moving goalposts at all. Valve making an x86 compatible portable device would mean you can literally bring thousands of games into the palm of your hands. Obviously Steam would be the gatekeepers and curate which games would be allowed on their portable device. You can't do that with the Shield. I'm not talking about NVIDIA. I'm talking about Valve. They're two separate companies with two separate motivations.

They're different.

The device you really want already exists, it's called the GPD Win.

tehbible

The device you really want already exists, it's called the GPD Win.

haha nice find. looked at it and chuckled. i mean yeah, this is the right path, but with Valve's experience with controllers it would be great for them to make a portable device a la switch style. Intel HD graphics too yikes. If Intel made a portable Iris Pro handheld device that'd be rad.

Bluth54

They're different.

The device you want pretty much exists already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8SqK9v5C3Q

sirap

Any indie recommendations for what to play after Zelda? Shovel Knight is great but I don't think I can justify buying that game for the fourth time :p

Lizardus

Any indie recommendations for what to play after Zelda? Shovel Knight is great but I don't think I can justify buying that game for the fourth time :p

Fast RMX, Blaster Master and Binding of Isaac.

What seems to be the general consensus on Snake Pass? I watched the video in the eshop and it seems pretty fun.

Okay, so I got the Japanese eShop account up and running on my Switch. If I buy a game, what are the limitations on it? Everybody can play it clearly, but I assume any and all purchases will be stuck to one account and NOT the system, right?

And another question, can you use a credit card to buy games, or do I need to buy eShop cards from Japan?

TDLink

Snake Pass looks good and is out next week. FAST and Snipperclips (with someone else) are fun. If you want another big game to sink time into, there's always Disgaea 5...lol

Also NintendoLand>>>>>>>>>1 2 switch. It could be argued that the wii u had a better launch, at least the day 1 launch.

No way.

Zelda alone would have kept me entertained for months, and happy with the Wii U.

NSMBU and Nintendoland didn't cut it.
One GOAT >>>>>>>>>>> a lot of mediocre games when it comes to console launches.

Nintendo should always launch their new consoles with a Zelda title. Worked for the Wii, and now it does it for the Switch.

Lebneney

Banned
Hey so I just applied the amFilm Tempered Glass protector and I was wondering, after I apply it, can I start using my device? I heard that you have to wait a day before use, but I can't find anything about that.

Protome

Obviously Steam would be the gatekeepers and curate which games would be allowed on their portable device.

This is the most far-fetched part of all your posts in here. Valve has proven time and time again they have interest in adding any level of quality control to Steam. If they made your hypothetical portable device it would be flooded with the same Greenlit ( soon Steam Direct!) shit that the PC is.

You obviously didn't check release dates otherwise you would have been aware that the game releases were a known quantity, and something Nintendo was fine with.
I know it's a thread for a Nintendo console and as such people are going to jump through hoops to defend it but seriously this is a really bad argument. "You should have checked and seen the releases announced are few and far between" isn't a good defence for the announced releases being few and far between. I'm loving my Switch but I just finished Zelda and now I have a month until the next big release and even that is a port? That's rough. It's expected because of the lack of big third party support but that doesn't make it good.

The easiest way to alleviate this would be if Nintendo was a bit more transparent about what eshop releases are coming and when.

tehbible

This is the most far-fetched part of all your posts in here. Valve has proven time and time again they have interest in adding any level of quality control to Steam. If they made your hypothetical portable device it would be flooded with the same Greenlit ( soon Steam Direct!) shit that the PC is.

wat. you're claiming that the PC platform is shit?

psyfi

Banned
the Pocket Rumble devs say they're still on schedule for a March release. So maybe that + Snake Pass next week?
I'm really curious about Snake Pass. If it turns out good it'll be my third Switch game after Zelda and Blaster Master. If SP ends up getting iffy reviews I'll pick up Shovel Knight instead (though I'll get SK eventually no matter what).

Protome

wat. you're claiming that the PC platform is shit?
No? Did you just find the word shit in my post and ignore the context of it?

I said Steam is flooded with bad games because Valve has no curation of the store. Expecting them to start doing that is crazy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
People: what should I go with 1. Snipperclips Or bomberman? For multiplayer fun.

How many people? Snipperclips is great with 2, bomberman not so good (have to rely on bits which aren't great). Conversely bomberman will be great with 4 players and snipperclips not so much (it does have modes for 4 players but it seems more tailored for 2)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I managed to get myself a Switch. Why is it so damn hard to remove these joycon straps?

Are you pushing the release button?

Here's the odd thing, you shouldn't shouldn't use that.

The straps only lock in place with the little grey tab. If that's in the unlocked position (down) then you should be able to pull the straps on with a tiny bit of force.

Nintendo needs to release a Nintendo Direct with more games soon if they want to keep the sales hot

I would like to see at least 5 more must buys for this console

any good software rumors?

AGoodODST

WOW. So one of my left joycons totally has that problem that Giant Bomb was experiencing with it popping off with minimal force. Here's what happened:

My Switch was on the table IN the RDS Case, completely zipped up. Stupid cats knocked it onto the floor. Open up the case and the left joycon is dislodged. Click it back in and immediately notice the click sounds way softer. Like half as loud as the right one's click. I inspect and sure enough there is damage to the locking mechanism when compared to the right joycon. I can clearly see where it looks like some of the locking mech has been kinda "chipped" off.

What blows my mind is that this was from a fall IN A CASE. In the RDS case no less. And the fall was maybe 2-3 feet. Unbelievable.

Yep, this happend to me. Dropped the Switch about 5cm and the right joy con popped off. Now it comes off pretty easily.

I haven't really had any problems with it in handheld mode or anything at least.

Nintendo needs to release a Nintendo Direct with more games soon if they want to keep the sales hot

I would like to see at least 5 more must buys for this console

any good software rumors?

Nothing until E3 and even then I wouldn't be surprised if what we already have announced is the whole year line-up

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My Joycon are already starting to show signs of wear/degradation. The sticks make a "springy" sound that they didn't before, I think they feel a bit looser, etc. In addition to the connection issues, of course. Horrible quality in these things. I've "only" used them for ~75 hours of Zelda.

Does everyone just put their Switch into sleep mode when charging or do you power it off? I usually power mine off and let it charge overnight, but I'm wondering if this is just a waste of time and letting it go to sleep on the dock is perfectly fine.

If you power it off it won't change your Joycon, and that's the main reason I generally keep mine in sleep mode. Plus being able to jump straight into Zelda the next day, of course.

fernoca

Planning on getting one... finally over the upcoming weeks...well...hopefully. A few questions:

-What happens during a power outage while in the dock? Does it automatically go into handheld mode?

-Best screen protector (multipack) that doesn't peel off?

-Any colored hard cases for the joycons? Looking into white ones, but only seen in silicone.

Thanks. :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo land is one of my favorite games ever, but I had more fun with 12S as its easy to get my casual family and friends playing, I have friends that didn't own a console since the NES and they want to get a Switch.

Just for 1-2-Switch? You're a bad friend if you encourage them.

mojo2

Neo Member
My Joycon are already starting to show signs of wear/degradation. The sticks make a "springy" sound that they didn't before, I think they feel a bit looser, etc. In addition to the connection issues, of course. Horrible quality in these things. I've "only" used them for ~75 hours of Zelda.

About 40 hours and similar results. I've never had problems with any other controller no matter how many hundreds of hours I've used them, I can't imagine anyone would play with lighter touch than I do. I'm really worried about the sticks. At this rate Santa Claus is going to have to bring another pair for use with Odyssey. Fuck.

Chopini

Neo Member

If you power it off it won't change your Joycon, and that's the main reason I generally keep mine in sleep mode. Plus being able to jump straight into Zelda the next day, of course.

My gray JoyCon that come with the console did suddently happen to have that springy analog stick sound as well. It is very annoying when playing in bed. I did change to new neon JoyCon due to wobbly issue. Hope it does not get springy sound.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You know Nintendo are desperate for that crowd right?

I didn't say that he was a bad Nintendo rep.

For now there is nothing else announced nor coming in the near future for that crowd . You don't want your friends to ask you 2 months later "and now what?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom