• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Which is the setting to turn off HDMI-CEC? I just want to dock the switch to charge it and it keeps switching inputs

Vitacat

It could be argued that the wii u had a better launch, at least the day 1 launch.

You could try, but no way. I mean this without any intended hyperbole -- BOTW is the best game I've played possibly ever. And the Switch version is the best version. So for me at least, the Switch easily beats WiiU launch.

Plus, I subscribe to the soft launch theory. We're all beta testers right now. The real launch is holiday season 2017. And by then the Switch library should be very strong, both in terms of what's available and what gets announced.

Just beat BOTW, I feel so empty. Really loved it.

Get back in there! Plus we have DLC coming.

I'm around 60 hours and am my taking my time and soaking up all the richness of Hyrule, so I would not be surprised if I go 150 hours or more before beating Ganon.

kizmah

Apparently this is the go to coop game on the Switch right now. Fun and accessible for everyone.

Yep! It's just great fun. I play it with my girlfriend and she basically never plays games otherwise.

Btw, whatever happened to that Mario vs Rabbids rpg? Why is it so quiet on Ubi front?

sadromeo

Yep! It's just great fun. I play it with my girlfriend and she basically never plays games otherwise.

Btw, whatever happened to that Mario vs Rabbids rpg? Why is it so quiet on Ubi front?

I believe they have a survey setup for Switch users to help give them ideas about gaming on the Switch or something like that. I haven't taken it personally yet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Not sure. The statues were clearly in that Ubisoft video.

That said, wasn't that an LKD rumor first? LKD ended up with a horrible track record.

Finally got mine today from a fellow gaffer. Really slick so far. Feels really good and the portable/home console doesn't feel like a gimmick at all. Super seamless and totally viable both ways. The kickstand is awful, but that was the feature I didn't really care about anyway.

My left joycon seems fine, but I wasn't terribly far from my TV, and nothing was obstructing the console. My dock might be a tiny bit bent, not sure what it's supposed to look like but it's definitely not a perfect 90 degree angle. But it seems to be sliding in and out fine so far.

Started Zelda and it seems fanatstic so far. The grip was not to my liking at all. But I didn't mind playing with a joy con in each hand. Still, it's not perfect and a pro controller seems mighty tempting. I wonder if Gamestop would give me $150 for my 3ds towards Switch accessories instead of a Switch. I'd love to deck it out.

I put it in handheld mode to go upstairs and when I came back I never put it back in the dock. Handheld mode is great!

Very happy so far.

Slacker

Which is the setting to turn off HDMI-CEC? I just want to dock the switch to charge it and it keeps switching inputs

Are you docking it while the system is on? If so put it to sleep first. Otherwise it's going to be running even if the TV is turned off.

me0wish

Also NintendoLand>>>>>>>>>1 2 switch. It could be argued that the wii u had a better launch, at least the day 1 launch.

Nintendo land is one of my favorite games ever, but I had more fun with 12S as its easy to get my casual family and friends playing, I have friends that didn't own a console since the NES and they want to get a Switch.

Lynd7

New Super Mario Bros U is the secret killer launch title that everyone wrote off because it was called New Super Mario Bros. It was an absolutely fantastic game and far and away the best 2D Mario game ever.

Also the Wii U launch lineup completely smokes Switch. It was very solid and varied actually. Both on the first and third party front. Only the PS Vita has a better launch lineup in recent memory. Switch had Zelda. Zelda is great, but no, that alone does not make the Switch match up to what Wii U offered on day 1.

Problem with NSMB for launch was that it wasn't exciting, especially because the 3DS had one a couple of months before.

Looking back, Mario Maker should have been the launch game for Wii U.

I got my Switch this past Saturday...been playing Zelda since then...I have only used it in handheld mode (waiting for my screen protector to come before I do).

As far as I can tell, with everything at it's max (volume & brightness) I get around 2 hours 45 minutes of playtime before it shuts down...that's pretty much expected right?

Got a Japanese account for demos and what not but now my news feed is plastered with news from Japan. How do I get rid of it? I couldn't find a setting and I'm afraid there isn't a way to do it without getting rid of the account. 😑

Edit: First result in Google, grap3. https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...o_remove_japanese_news_from_your_switch_feed/

Ugh... Seems like a process though and I'm afraid of botching it and losing my Zelda save.
I have EU, US, and JPN accounts on my Switch and the news section is a mess

Peltz

I just got the hybrid cover. Switch branding is so on point. They even include a Switch themed microfiber cloth that looks amazing.

It took a few weeks to get accustomed to the logo, but I really think the branding of this system is perfect.

Kudo

I managed to get myself a Switch. Why is it so damn hard to remove these joycon straps?

No idea, I was worried I broke them the first time cause they attached so damn strong but managed to get them off and I'm not putting 'em on ever again. Made sure they were the right way too, still really hard to remove.

No idea, I was worried I broke them the first time cause they attached so damn strong but managed to get them off and I'm not putting 'em on ever again. Made sure they were the right way too, still really hard to remove.

Yeah I doubt I'll ever attach them again. I have these grip covers that make it literally impossible to remove.

Oh well.

Kudo

Before I purchase I want to confirm: Disgaea 5 on the JP store can basically be switch to full English?

C- C- Combo Breaker!

Getting hyped for E3 this year, now that all platforms are available to me it's going to be fun to see what Nintendo has in store too.

Man I'm quite disappointed by the launch, coming from the wii u. I mean as a whole there is more software, and Zelda is phenomenal. So are games like shovel knight and FAST. But I still expected more. I mean it wasn't like the last year of wii u was content filled, there really should've been more from a software point.

It's good that there won't be a drought anywhere similar to that of wii u where it seemed like we had to wait 6 months until we got a worthwhile game in that of Pikmin 3. I was expecting at least some more indies or at least virtual console to be launched relatively quickly.

At least miiverse provided some sort of entertainment.

Also NintendoLand>>>>>>>>>1 2 switch. It could be argued that the wii u had a better launch, at least the day 1 launch.

No there isn't more software on Switch Vs Wii U at launch. Wii U had 23 titles on launch day, and the majority were pretty solid 3rd party games. Wii U didn't really have a AAA game like Zelda at launch though.. Just a new super mario bros rehash game and nintendoland. So outside of Zelda, Wii U's launch blew Switch's out of the park. Though to be somewhat fair, who knows what Nintendo would have had if it released during the holidays in terms of 3rd party support. They're definitely not going to release more than one AAA 1st party game though at launch though, as they never do.

Branduil

New Super Mario Bros U is the secret killer launch title that everyone wrote off because it was called New Super Mario Bros. It was an absolutely fantastic game and far and away the best 2D Mario game ever.

Also the Wii U launch lineup completely smokes Switch. It was very solid and varied actually. Both on the first and third party front. Only the PS Vita has a better launch lineup in recent memory. Switch had Zelda. Zelda is great, but no, that alone does not make the Switch match up to what Wii U offered on day 1.
Zelda alone is several times better than the entire Wii U launch window lineup, and based on sales so far, clearly most people agree. Fast RMX and Snipperclips are also decent supplementary games.

The problem with the Wii U is that people were clearly fatigued by the NSMB games at that point. They certainly weren't system sellers.

DavidDesu

Discovered a weird limitation today.

I was playing Zelda on the couch handheld but fancied using the right joy con detached for the better gyro aiming feel, while keeping the left still attached to get a good grip on the system as it rested on my stomach but.. you can't actually play like that. The system won't let you. Basically it seems that if you detach one Joycon they want you to detach the other one. Kinda disappointed cos it felt like it would have worked nicely for me!

I managed to get myself a Switch. Why is it so damn hard to remove these joycon straps?

if it helps, you DONT have to press the release buttons on the back of the joycons to remove the strap (the ones you press to remove them from the console).you only have to make sure the little white lock/unlock "lever" is unlocked - then just slide them off.

i found trying get my hands to press the release button on the back made it more difficult to pull them off. but knowing i didn't need to do that made it a bit easier. it still won't easily slide right off, but it should help.

//ARCANUM

WOW. So one of my left joycons totally has that problem that Giant Bomb was experiencing with it popping off with minimal force. Here's what happened:

My Switch was on the table IN the RDS Case, completely zipped up. Stupid cats knocked it onto the floor. Open up the case and the left joycon is dislodged. Click it back in and immediately notice the click sounds way softer. Like half as loud as the right one's click. I inspect and sure enough there is damage to the locking mechanism when compared to the right joycon. I can clearly see where it looks like some of the locking mech has been kinda "chipped" off.

What blows my mind is that this was from a fall IN A CASE. In the RDS case no less. And the fall was maybe 2-3 feet. Unbelievable.

mugwhump

Does anyone else get funny noises plugging the switch into an external speaker? I've got 2 speakers that plug in via the headphone jack, and both of them overlay this DRDRDRDRDR sound on top of the audio. The speakers work fine with my computer, and my headphones also work fine with the switch.

if it helps, you DONT have to press the release buttons on the back of the joycons to remove the strap (the ones you press to remove them from the console).you only have to make sure the little white lock/unlock "lever" is unlocked - then just slide them off.

i found trying get my hands to press the release button on the back made it more difficult to pull them off. but knowing i didn't need to do that made it a bit easier. it still won't easily slide right off, but it should help.
That actually might help a lot and I wish it was communicated better in the packaging. Thanks.

Crayon

Damage report!

My switch was in the hori case and I dropped it from about waist height. I took it out and gave it a look over and everything was fine. System on and off. Joycons detach, reattach. No white spots or distortion on joycon rails.

But the L button: The "L1" button is damaged. The button moves freely but there is no spring action or click. No response in-game. Feels a little soft at the bottom. If I had the little tri tip bit I would open it.

If I opened it, there would be something wrong with the metal coil spring or the perch it sits on. Something damaged.
fixedjoycon.jpg

I'll call nintendo tomorrow and see if I can send it in for a fix. And maybe to the antenna fix thing, too.

Oh and I guess I'll get a set of neon joycons tomorrow.

tehbible

am i the only one thats enjoying fast rmx more so than zelda? $20 too. what a steal. best bang for buck imo. online play included. zelda doesn't have that :p

//ARCANUM

Damage report!

My switch was in the hori case and I dropped it from about waist height. I took it out and gave it a look over and everything was fine. System on and off. Joycons detach, reattach. No white spots or distortion on joycon rails.

But the L button: The "L1" button is damaged. The button moves freely but there is no spring action or click. No response in-game. Feels a little soft at the bottom. If I had the little tri tip bit I would open it.

If I opened it, there would be something wrong with the metal coil spring or the perch it sits on. Something damaged.
fixedjoycon.jpg

I'll call nintendo tomorrow and see if I can send it in for a fix. And maybe to the antenna fix thing, too.

Oh and I guess I'll get a set of neon joycons tomorrow.

well i guess we both had some bad luck with our Switch dropping IN A CASE today. I can't believe the joycons are so fragile that they got messed up in a case for both of us. :(

molnizzle

I've gotta say, the lack of a real d-pad in the joycon is bumming me out. This device would be the ultimate portable indie machine with a real d-pad. The Pro controller is great, but doesn't help when I'm playing in bed.

I just had a real bad time in some Shovel Knight levels. 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom