• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

v0yce

I think the analog sticks on the Joycons are the worst analog sticks i've seen on a home console in years... The placement on the right stick is hurting my hand for some reason, that never happens with controllers.

Other than that issue, and the obvious lack of software. I will say I feel the system has a lot of potential.

I would like to ask is that FAST RMX game worth buying?

I might get Snipper Clips... but FAST has caught my eye I would love some impressions on it.

:EDIT: I forgot to mention. Does anyone find the lack of trailers on the eShop a little weird? I haven't looked at all the games on there, but Fast and Snipperclips don't have any videos... which is odd considering the Wii U eshop had trailers for each game on their store page.

Both games have videos. They're mixed in with the screens in the gallery of the games.

I was fooling around in the settings and noticed there's some stuff in there for "media playback" behavior in regards to sleep mode, separate from the game settings.

I know they said there won't be any Netflix at launch or anything, so is there currently media playback I'm not aware of (outside eshop trailers)? Can you record videos of gameplay or plop a movie on the SD card or something?

I didn't think the above was possible, so if that isn't the case, hopefully it means this stuff is coming a lot sooner than we expect.

My apologies if this has been discussed to death. I've been playing Zelda almost entirely since I got home from work.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere earlier but what are some must have accessories? I have the Pro Controller and the Official Carrying Case. I need a screen protector mostly. Anyone get tempered glass? If so, any recommendations? Thanks!

sleepnaught

Absolutely loving the Switch. But they gotta do something about Zelda's docked performance. Easily hitting single digit frame rate in open fields.

Amneisac

My initial impressions are a little lukewarm. The frame rate in docked Zelda is worse than I realized. I also don't like the 3D Bomberman story camera, which I half expected and Snipperclips kind of wore itself out faster than I'd hoped. I'm going to go play handheld Zelda in bed, though so hopefully that will really be the experience I'm waiting for.

BizzyBum

The Zelda framerate for me was only really bad in the starting area forest for some reason. Everywhere else has been fine.

Strange that Nintendo would let that happen especially since it's literally the first few minutes of the game. Gives off a real bad impression.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Thanks. I'm paranoid when I see something without shrink wrap. I picture the warehouse people playing with my Switch.
I'm the same way. For some reason Nintendo rarely seems to seal their hardware (aside from 3DS).

VanWinkle

I regret spending $20 on Fast RMX. I just wanted something else to play instead of just Zelda, but I'm not really into it. :-(

Oh, I just encounter a horrible drop on Zelda when facing against some tall goblin creature. I hit it and it paused like a full second or more. Frame drops in general are more frequent than I expected after the reviews.

Switch seems to run pretty hot! And the OS UI looks like low res crap when on the TV., but games look good. Is this normal?

Need some friends too! SW-6142-3202-3160

kubev

Man, I hope Samsung pushes an update to the KS8000 so it can detect the Switch automatically as a game console. It's super-annoying how the TV just forgets the details for that input each time you take the system out of the dock.

Brizzo24

I can't get my Switch to connect to my WiFi. It looks for available networks, but can't locate it. Any ideas? Does your wifi need to run on a certain frequency?

I can't get my Switch to connect to my WiFi. It looks for available networks, but can't locate it. Any ideas? Does your wifi need to run on a certain frequency?

Mine finds it, but can't connect, not even wired. It loses my wifi connection sometimes, I believe the wifi just isn't that good.

Maengun1

Man, this thing is cool. I'd been playing Zelda on the tv all day, but I just took the console for a spin in handheld mode, and then disconnected the joycons and set it up in a room with no tv in kickstand mode.....it's just NEAT and novel actually doing this in person lol. I'm pretty smitten with the possibilities now after having been all "I'm just using it as a regular console" all this time

Sargon

Is anyone actually able to get the Switch to connect to 5GHz wireless at more than a few feet away from the router? Mine connects to the 5GHz network when it is right next to the router, but as soon as I leave the room it switches over to 2.4GHz.

TLZ

Banned
I returned it.

The joycon issue is just not on. I'm not happy paying this much for a broken one. On top of that I'm asked to spend another au$100 for the proper controller. No thanks, you can have it back.

I really like it, but I cannot accept it in this state. Add to that Zelda's shitty docked performance which is how I'll play it. I'll just stick to my Wii U version for now.

I'll come back at a later time when all issues are fleshed out and hopefully cheaper then with some sort of bundle.

Got

Banned
Really like the hardware but there are glaring issues.

-The plastic screen feels rough to use with my finger. Don't know why glass wasn't used.

-The kickstand is trash.

-The dock feels cheap and the interior needs to be padded.

I adore the way it feels in hand though. The OS looks great. The ease of switching once docked is sexy as hell.

Revision 2 of the Hardware will be interesting.

Mr. F

Banned
How's the consensus feel in here? I've got one on the way for Tuesday but the smattering of small nitpicks and issues is dampening my hype a bit

bobawesome

Is there meant to be a slight gap in the plastic to the left of the vent? Not sure if it's a problem with my unit's back plate or if it's intended.

shwimpy

Do we not get nintendo reward points/coins for buying the switch? I didn't see any slip in the box or an option to collect coins like with game cards.

Just making sure. :)

Effect

Does the Switch have to be in sleep mode for the joycons to charge while connected? Or can the system be completely off (turn system off and then connect the joycons)?

My switch didn't come with the USB-C cables. Is this normal?

You didn't get an AC adapter at all? There are no other USB-C cables other than the AC adapter.

---

Many of these issues were brought up in previews and other hands-on, but I understand some people need and want to experience things for themselves.

Has anyone been able to connect this thing wired? I finally got it to work wireless by being right next to my router but this isn't convenient for me at all

MrBlonde

Impulse bought today since Best Buy had a stack at noon, the new console hype got me totally planned on waiting since the launch lineup is pretty bad and didn't plan on finding one today.

Haven't had much time with it yet but seems solid, my update was done in like 30 seconds which was weird since my Xbox updated slow. I bought Zelda and the racing game for now. I hope the screen doesn't get scratched sliding in and out of the dock, that's my only concern

I noticed the left joy con was not fully charged and the right was, does this mean I got one of the systems with the connection issues and if so has Nintendo said anything about an update fixing it? Haven't played anything yet but to see but just curious.

Also do the joy cons charge only when docked on the system or are the charging when attached to the thing that makes it a controller?

I was in Walmart tonight and they had at least 10 pro controllers, I'm debating on getting one tomorrow but I've already spent enough and they are pretty expensive. Haven't owned a Nintendo system in a while and not familiar with the pro controllers but being an Xbox player it looks like something I might want.

t hicks

Banned
does anyone else's joy cons have a little bit of "give" when they're connected to the switch unit? like if you try to break the thing in half they wobble?
Yeah mines the same way when in handheld, I just figured that's how it's supposed to be but I have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom