• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a launch day story.

Synopsis is, don't ruin surprises.

I stayed up Switch night, even though I had reservations about the system and I still do, and I preordered a system (Grey) along with the Zelda LE. I really wanted the Neon and the Master Edition, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo with the Master edition.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my car breaks down, turbo is shot, it's ok we've been saving, I buy a new car. She tells me, "You can't keep that Switch preorder, sell it on your NeoGaf thing you do and we'll have to pick one up later". I'm heartbroken, even though I have issues with the launch/system, I want Zelda. Bad. I listed it, two Gaffers jump on Zelda and my Grey Switch. </3

Today, I'm sort of bummed and feel like I'm missing the Zeitgeist of Zelda, but keep reassuring my OCD brain. They'll still have systems later, plus I 'Really wanted the Neon one', is what I'm telling myself.

I just got home about 30 minutes ago and what's on the kitchen counter when I walk in? The Neon Nintendo Switch, 2 Pro controllers and the Zelda Master Edition. I'm not afraid to admit, I got completely teary-eyed. Super duper nerdy, but it's genearlly really hard to surprise me and this surprised the hell out of me.

Little did I know, my wife, at the same exact time I was preordering the system/zelda, was on her phone preordering the Neon and Zelda Master edition. She wanted to surprise me and when I told her the next morning I had preordered the system she asked "Are you really sure you want it? I mean you know how launch consoles are, you should probably wait". I'm stubborn, didn't listen and just kept the preorder.

I'm a 34 year old man, that got teary about Zelda and a surprise, today is a good day.

This genuinely made me so happy. Lucky guy!

OmahaG8

Has anyone been able to connect this thing wired? I finally got it to work wireless by being right next to my router but this isn't convenient for me at all

Have. Haven't used wireless so I can't compare. But my Zelda download was probably 1 minute or less. Snipperclips 5 minutes.

Smellycat

hey guys, so I updated the console with the joy cons detached. Do I have to reset the console to factory settings and do it all over? Or is that whole update/interference thing bullocks?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Very impressed by Switch so far after an evening of use. Mostly played on TV, but played some in tabletop mode with joycons on grip to play an chat with my fiance while she was fixing us dinner, and a tad in handheld mode while watching the end of a basketball game (meant to do that for all of it but I remember the game start time wrong).

JoyCons on grip are fine. I'll still want a pro controller, but will wait until they're readily available again. Screen not the tablet is very nice, overall just feels quality for once from Nintendo.

Loving Zelda so far as well, just did the intro section on the plateau and calling it a night after getting off of that. Overall, really glad I impulse changed my mind about waiting on this when driving past a Frys this morning and deciding to give it a look to see if they still had any left at 11:30. :D

The hardware, UI, etc is sleek as fuck. I can't wait til there's more features just because I want more reasons to use it lol. It's so fast and easy to use. I got everything set up quick compared to the Wii U when things would take hours. I feel much more confident in this than the U.

Skeletos311

I thought all my news was coming in as Japanese, but I think it's that the Japanese side is putting out more news. I see one new English notification.

snipperclips demo is fun.

shoulder buttons are small as heck on the joycons.

the way my current setup is.....doesn't lend itself well to the short cables on the HDMI and AC adapter that this comes with. So i don't really have an ideal place to put the dock rn

The hardware, UI, etc is sleek as fuck. I can't wait til there's more features just because I want more reasons to use it lol. It's so fast and easy to use. I got everything set up quick compared to the Wii U when things would take hours. I feel much more confident in this than the U.

My feelings after day 1 and never having seen the console as well. I was neutral positive on it before launch, now I'm just positive. It's a great, honest, new piece of tech. It has its trouble areas, but where it shines its ahead of its time.

jrDev

Posted this on Zelda thread but deserves to be here; I love the fact the I can play using separate joy cons while lying down and hugging my wife! &#128513;

Cyanity

Banned
oh, huh. Didn't know you were supposed to do the system update with the joy cons attached. Well, I've been using them for hours with zero desyncing issues, so I think I'm good. I feel really bad for the people who got screwy left controllers.

Chorazin

I really wish MyNintendo gave you gold coins for purchasing the Switch like it did back with the Wii u and Wii i believe.

At the very least, at least you get gold Coins from physical games.

Highlight a physical game with the card in, press -/+, Select My Nintendo Rewards Program, and get you some coins!

Cyanity

Banned
Oh yea, my friend code is

SW-6321-0056-1541

For anyone who wants to add me for all those multiplayer games I didn't buy.

Hey so sorry if this has been talked about already but what is the best case for the Switch? I'm getting the case that came with the Master Edition of Breath of the Wild but I'm not sure if I want to use that one to keep it looking nice or if it's the best case since it has no form fit for the Joycons. How is the Game Traveler Deluxe Travel Case? Is it a good one?

Edzi

How the hell do you turn this off? All it lets me do is put it in sleep mode.

EDIT: figured it out, had to hold down the power button.

might be a lil off topic, but do you guys think that nintendo will release a handheld only version of switch? cause i have no interest on playing it in dovked mode when i can just play it in bed

MrMephistoX

If anyone can't find Zelda and wants to pay shipping I decided to go digital. Otherwise I'm just returning my box tomorrow. Pm me

might be a lil off topic, but do you guys think that nintendo will release a handheld only version of switch? cause i have no interest on playing it in dovked mode when i can just play it in bed

Considering how cheap the dock is I doubt it. Just don't take the dock out of the box and you got what you want

ev0

Got my Switch, liking it.

However is the image quality when docked supposed to be "softer" than it is in handheld mode?

In handheld all the text looks crisp and sharp. On the TV things arent as clear. I'm not sure if it supposed to be this way. I remember the WiiU was kind of like this.

Havent had a chance to fire up a game yet

MrBlonde

I was supposed to do the update with the joy con attached to the system and not the grip? If so then shit!

Any way to redo it?

Sorry if this has already been asked but I want to buy Metal Slug on the Japanese eShop, how do I add money to my wallet on the Japanese store? Can I just carry over money to my Japanese profile by creating a balance in the U.S. shop?

Chhem

My switch fan seems to be blowing at 100% and never stops. Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions to fix this?

Eggiem

oh, huh. Didn't know you were supposed to do the system update with the joy cons attached. Well, I've been using them for hours with zero desyncing issues, so I think I'm good. I feel really bad for the people who got screwy left controllers.

Thats why my update didn't start when the unit was in the dock. Lol.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
this console is so bare bones its unbelievable. If you want to pick it up expect nothing honestly. If you are on the fence on getting it wait!

GrayFoxPL

Got my Switch, liking it.

However is the image quality when docked supposed to be "softer" than it is in handheld mode?

In handheld all the text looks crisp and sharp. On the TV things arent as clear. I'm not sure if it supposed to be this way. I remember the WiiU was kind of like this.

Havent had a chance to fire up a game yet

Because resolution is the same. You need much higher res on a big screen to make everything look "crisp".

Cyanity

Banned
this console is so bare bones its unbelievable. If you want to pick it up expect nothing honestly. If you are on the fence on getting it wait!

If you like Nintendo consoles and know you'll be picking up their first party content as per usual, then there's little reason not to pick one up. Nintendo fans are used to launch day dissapointment.

Ran Ran

Anybody wanna add me as a friend? Nobody that I know is getting the Switch anytime soon so I'm kinda friendless...

My friend code is
SW-7356-9335-2996

BadWolf

If you like Nintendo consoles and know you'll be picking up their first party content as per usual, then there's little reason not to pick one up. Nintendo fans are used to launch day dissapointment.

With all the hardware issues people are having I'd say there is more than enough reason for even Nintendo fans to wait.

Kibbles

Really like the hardware but there are glaring issues.

-The plastic screen feels rough to use with my finger. Don't know why glass wasn't used.

-The kickstand is trash.

-The dock feels cheap and the interior needs to be padded.

I adore the way it feels in hand though. The OS looks great. The ease of switching once docked is sexy as hell.

Revision 2 of the Hardware will be interesting.
Holy shit it's a plastic screen? Yikes... Wonder if a tempered glass screen protector would feel good then.

Was too busy today to pick it up from ups gotta wait till tomorrow ahh

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

exactly wait until the console has more features and gets more games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom