• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to consider the switch mainly a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

I think how users are using it may define the future of the platform (WiiU or 3ds succesor)

I've been mostly using it portable because I'm rarely at home for long stretches of time. It's awesome playing it seamlessly on the tv though.

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to considerar the switch mainly of a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

I think how users are using it may define the future of the platform (WiiU or 3ds succesor)

90% of the time it will be docked for me. It's very difficult for me to play Zelda on portable mode (it's VERY cramped on that tiny screen) but this thing will be great for 2D jRPGs, small indie titles, 2D platformers, etc.

mieumieu

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to considerar the switch mainly of a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

For me it is neither.

First and foremost, it is a Vita successor with Vita TV function built in. I also assume most 1st and 2nd tier Japanese third parties and most indie developers will put out games on it. Only the AAA stuff like RE7 or FFXV would be an exception, and I have a PS4 for those.

Secondly it is a Nintendo handheld. So expect Nintendo greatness.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If you select your user icon in the top left of the Switch main menu, it tells you the total play time of each of your games.

I think it tells you only when you pass certain thresholds. Like "more than 25 hours" or "more than 100 hours".

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to consider the switch mainly a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

It really feels like a hybrid to me, as I used it in both ways. More as a handheld over the weekend as I was away, but I will use it more as a console in the following days. Being a mainly Zelda machine for now unfortunately the docked experience is not the greatest, but I hope it will be different for other games.

Kudo

I think it tells you only when you pass certain thresholds. Like "more than 25 hours" or "more than 100 hours".

It really feels like a hybrid to me, as I used it in both ways. More as a handheld over the weekend as I was away, but I will use it more as a console in the following days. Being a mainly Zelda machine for now unfortunately the docked experience is not the greatest, but I hope it will be different for other games.

I've seen a picture where it tells the hours played too, so must be that.

Also yeah, it's really a hybrid. I feel like the TV experience is really good with Pro controller and playing in bed in tablet mode is nice to have for sleepless nights. In my case I can see spending majority of my time playing it from big screen but also looking into getting one of those tablet arms for bed usage.

DavidDesu

Finally got mine yesterday and played it early this morning and again this afternoon. Loving it. The console UI and system sounds are exemplary. Just simple, clean, fast. Those system sounds are just lovely. The thing feels so satisfying to use.

Played about 3 hours of Zelda and I'm SOO glad I bought this. I struggle to get into big open world games and traditional RPGs like Witcher 3.. But this I can easily see myself ploughing tens of hours into this game. Being able to play in bed will massively increases my hands on time with the game.

I think Switch might just be amazing and do very well. Really hope we get a lot of great games on this console.

My dock bends inwards slightly near the top and I basically just don't want to use it yet. I hope they do something about it. I'd love them to bring out a compact dock with an open front so it's like a charge nd play stand with hdmi out..

I mean, after a couple of minutes it'll go back into sleep mode, yeah? Mine does.

It won't increase the charge time by any significant amount.

I have the same problem lol. No idea what to do.

So i use the switch as handheld then i power it off completely.But when i insert it to the dock to charge it and it just turns on again!

How can i stop this?

EDIT lol person above me has the exact same problem

Is there a way to prevent the system from turning on when you plug it in to charge? I play strictly as a handheld and turn the system off when done playing and ready to charge. When I plug the system in, it boots back up so I have to manually power down again. I tried looking in the Settings but couldn't find anything.
Power it down or sleep it after docking is the only way.

I agree that it shouldn't wake if docked whilst asleep.

Interfectum

Played Switch all weekend. I have a 5 month old at home so playing console games has been a chore/non-existent for the past couple months but I managed to get a lot of Zelda time in thanks to the portability/suspend features.

That being said, I do think the system was rushed out way too fast. The OS is way to barebones... you can't even message friends? No activity feed, no achievement system, no nothing. Say what you will about achievements or epeen or whatever, but I totally miss them on this system. It would be cool to fire up the Zelda achievements and see what percentage of the total players have beat the game already and stuff like that.

Also, I'm having issues with the left JoyCon when playing in TV mode. I'm not even playing that far away from my TV but it'll still misfire sometimes. Really annoying.

All in all I'm glad I bought the system and Zelda is amazing but I think, sales wise, this system is going to fall off a cliff until more games come out for it. It's a really hard sell right now... I'm having a tough time even recommending friends to get one as there's simply not much there.

This is my work solution for my Switch.

xhE8xA0.jpg

This is an M2 stand that i've always used for my cell phone. Im happy to see that the Switch fits perfectly. The angle and height is perfect for me to comfortably play while its charging and resting on the stand. I got the stand from Amazon several months ago.

_Clash_

It really does a solid job at both, the handheld flops is very exciting, and the console mode for comfy couch.

Tabletop the icing,

Kudo

Just ordered that tablet arm that was linked earlier in the thread, I didn't want to sleep in my bed anyway.

Moved my dock out to the front of my TV stand, I still get left joy con issue if I hold my hands up but resting in my lap it's fine. Split joy cons + straps is such a comfy way to play 😻

DavidDesu

Is it possible to remove the straps from the joycon add on thingies..? I thought the grey lock switch would "unlock" them to be removed but I feel I'm going to break something the amount of pressure I'm exerting and nothing. I want the additional grippiness for my detached joycons but without the straps, help!

Is it possible to remove the straps from the joycon add on thingies..? I thought the grey lock switch would "unlock" them to be removed but I feel I'm going to break something the amount of pressure I'm exerting and nothing. I want the additional grippiness for my detached joycons but without the straps, help!
They're stiff to remove but as long as you have matched up the icons (+ to +, - to -) they'll be fine.

You don't need to hold the button that you use to undock them from the Switch, though. Just make sure the grey lock on the straps is down, firmly grip the plastic of the strap and pull.

It gets easier even after 2-3 times.

DjRalford

Hmmmm

Just connected a USB Lan and I actually get the same speed as 5ghz wireless

50mb down
9mb up

Yet a Speedtest on my PC shows

198mb down
11mb up

So perhaps connection to ninty server is the bottleneck.

FaintDeftone

So I put my Switch in my carrying case this morning so I could take it to work with me and play Zelda on my lunch break. When I put it in, my Switch was awake and I didn't think anything of it since it should go to sleep on its own after 10min. When I took it out of the case to show it to a co-worker, it was still awake and my carrying case was really warm. Everything seems fine, but has anyone else had a problem with the Switch just chilling in a case and won't turn itself off after inactivity? A little concerning... thank god it didn't overheat.

DjRalford

So I put my Switch in my carrying case this morning so I could take it to work with me and play Zelda on my lunch break. When I put it in, my Switch was awake and I didn't think anything of it since it should go to sleep on its own after 10min. When I took it out of the case to show it to a co-worker, it was still awake and my carrying case was really warm. Everything seems fine, but has anyone else had a problem with the Switch just chilling in a case and won't turn itself off after inactivity? A little concerning... thank god it didn't overheat.

I always tell my daughter to just completely switch it off before putting it in the case, it turns on so fast it makes little difference.

Plumpman

I've seen a few hardware issues on multiple devices and its kinda scaring me.

My friends switch flickers on the upper left side of the screen sometimes.
It looks like a broken flickering fluorescent bulb would.

This morning, after undocking my switch, it would not power on from sleep mode.
After multiple power attempts, it finally hard rebooted.
The software I downloaded 2 days ago was gone when I got back to my home screen.
I tried putting it into sleep, and it immediately shut itself off again (almost like it crashed).
Finally after another hard reboot attempt everything seems fine now.

Anyone run into this before?

I brought my Switch with me to work today. As a Network Administrator, here's two findings on the Switch's Wifi functionality that I find to be disappointing:

• No support for WPA-Enterprise
  • No support for wifi networks with names longer than 15 characters

The first one, I can kind of understand, but not really. I can't think of any good reason to gimp the Switch in this regard, since it's not like WPA-Enterprise isn't an industry standard. And iOS and Android both support the protocol.

The second one baffles me completely. Outside of "it's Nintendo," I can't think of any reason to have this limitation.

So perhaps connection to ninty server is the bottleneck.
I believe it.

Mandelbo

is it confirmed that it would work though? usb-c to hdmi did not so I am a bit skeptical.
If it works though then that's a mild bandaid.

It should do. At the very least, there's an official Hori USB-to-Ethernet adapter for it iirc, and I'm fairly sure the one for the Wii U works. There's an option to use a wired connection in internet settings too, so it's definitely supported.

Can anyone test the RGB seeing for me? When I toggle between limited and full it doesn't change anything.

I would have to change it on my TV but I don't know if I'm crushing blacks.

Auto limited and RGB are all the same.

Zafir

I think it does. I've used it in both and am happy with how it runs in both modes.

Well besides from some bad performance issues on zelda when docked (I swear it dropped to around 10-15fps at one point, and stayed around it for quite a bit while I was clearing a camp in the rain which were shooting shock arrows). I've only had that happen once mind.

jokkir

Using my Quick Charge 2.0 charger on the Switch charges the system pretty fast. It went from 73%-ish an hour ago to 92%+ now. I guess it supports quick charging?

I've been treating it as a console first. However, I've definitely brought the Switch with me to the bathroom (LOL), bed, and now work. For now, though, the portability is a novelty.

tommyguns

Can anyone confirm when you look at the switch under a light, the back of it, is a speckled/glitter look? or have a managed to make mine like this? haha

Jacce

Banned

Feels like a hybrid not a console. I have used it over 80% of the time as a handheld. It is clearly going to be the successor to the 3DS.

DavidDesu

They're stiff to remove but as long as you have matched up the icons (+ to +, - to -) they'll be fine.

You don't need to hold the button that you use to undock them from the Switch, though. Just make sure the grey lock on the straps is down, firmly grip the plastic of the strap and pull.

It gets easier even after 2-3 times.

Aww thanks but I meant the actual straps.. can you remove them. Hate them just dangling there! :p

Caved and bought a switch with zelda. Someone had cancelled their preorder so clearly god intended for me to have one.

No use fighting destiny.

Kudo

Caved and bought a switch with zelda. Someone had cancelled their preorder so clearly god intended for me to have one.

No use fighting destiny.

Used this same excuse when buying Pro Controller, only one left in the store "must be meant for me then".
80€ controller for one game was hard to convince myself, but at least it came with USB-C cable unlike other controllers.

0racle

Ladies and gents, what is the best case for the system ? Is there an official one ?

Also do all screen protectors peel when docked ?

My son was wanting to play 1 2 Switch yesterday and I told him we couldn't because both TV's were being used by his brother and mom... and then it freaking clicked that I could set the thing up with the kickstand and we would be good to go.

This. This is just another reason I love this device already - Impromptu gaming sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom