• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

//ARCANUM

Hey all, so I've seen lots of photos of Switches in docks and people talking about there being extra clearance in there, and it appears that mine is completely flush with the inside. Have a look at the photos. I could swear that other people's photos I've seen look like there's extra room in there. I have a screen protector on mine, but it's just the basic one that came with the official case, not a tempered glass one or anything. Is this normal? Abnormal?

fRnv5GX.jpg
P040mkf.jpg
XzTBf0Y.jpg

I should also mention I haven't particularly noticed any real scratches on the screen protector. There seem to be little imperfections, but I'm not sure if those are scratches or little bits of dust that got under there during application. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Edit - with this lack of clearance, I might not be able to use a glass screen protector even if I wanted to, huh? I've ordered a second dock from store.nintendo.com. Will be interesting to see the difference, if any.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Hey all, so I've seen lots of photos of Switches in docks and people talking about there being extra clearance in there, and it appears that mine is completely flush with the inside. Have a look at the photos. I could swear that other people's photos I've seen look like there's extra room in there. I have a screen protector on mine, but it's just the basic one that came with the official case, not a tempered glass one or anything. Is this normal? Abnormal?

I should also mention I haven't particularly noticed any real scratches on the screen protector. There seem to be little imperfections, but I'm not sure if those are scratches or little bits of dust that got under there during application. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Mine definitely has clearance. I can move it forth and back in the dock by about 2-3mm.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Hmm. I'm wondering if mine just came like this, or if it warped at all due to heat during docked gameplay?

Don't think that heat can warp it. I've been playing BotW all weekend in docked mode. The console doesn't get hot enough for that anyway.

Wil348

I'm not sure if I mentioned this already, but my right joycon feels a little loose when attached the the system. It's not too bad, it's totally secure, but the left one's connection feels a bit more solid. I'm getting kind of OCD over this haha. Does anyone else have this?

//ARCANUM

I'm not sure if I mentioned this already, but my right joycon feels a little loose when attached the the system. It's not too bad, it's totally secure, but the left one's connection feels a bit more solid. I'm getting kind of OCD over this haha. Does anyone else have this?

Yep. I have a total of 4 joycons and one of the Red R ones feels significantly looser than the others. :/ good ol Nintendo quality control. :(

I just swapped the red R with the other one for handheld mode and it feels much better.

Shahadan

I just noticed a single piece of dirt stuff in the middle of my screen under the screen protection I put yesterday. Either it will drive me crazy or I'll just learn to not see it.

I'm not doing the adhesive film protector stuff ever again

I just noticed a single piece of dirt stuff in the middle of my screen under the screen protection I put yesterday. Either it will drive me crazy or I'll just learn to not see it.

yep. I still can't get the Hori screen protector off of my Wii U Gamepad. Never again.

Vitacat

Learn good technique and that won't happen. There are many tutorials. Try the shower technique.

Or hey, go without a screen protector and get scratches on the screen itself. Your call. $8 or $300.

Brakke

Banned
Hmm. Picked my Switch up this morning and been playing it all day using JoyCon controllers. In that time, the Left JoyCon ran out of battery way way earlier than the Right JoyCon, consistently. I need to charge them both all the way up overnight before I'm sure, but I'm worried my L JoyCon battery is just faulty. That'd be a real bummer, guess I'd have to go through Nintendo warranty service since there's no chance I can exchange this for a new system in store with them sold out everywhere.

I'm sure nobody else has noticed this? This can't be a common or planned thing, right?

Soundslike

Neo Member
Hmm. Picked my Switch up this morning and been playing it all day using JoyCon controllers. In that time, the Left JoyCon ran out of battery way way earlier than the Right JoyCon, consistently. I need to charge them both all the way up overnight before I'm sure, but I'm worried my L JoyCon battery is just faulty. That'd be a real bummer, guess I'd have to go through Nintendo warranty service since there's no chance I can exchange this for a new system in store with them sold out everywhere.

I'm sure nobody else has noticed this? This can't be a common or planned thing, right?

You started playing without charging the joycon? Right out of the box they have diffrent levels of batttery charge.

Ninja Dom

I have to say that Tabletop mode is awesome!! Don't play in Handheld mode if you have an available surface in front of you.

Do you think there's any noticeable difference in battery drain between sleeping the Switch with Zelda playing or quitting Zelda and then sleeping it?

Metalmarc

Question to switch owners

when the switch is Docked can you use the Pro Controller only? Even to work the o.s without the Joycons or do you havd to use the Joycons?

Ganzor

I have to say that Tabletop mode is awesome!! Don't play in Handheld mode if you have an available surface in front of you.

Do you think there's any noticeable difference in battery drain between sleeping the Switch with Zelda playing or quitting Zelda and then sleeping it?

my switch lost 1% of power in 6 hours standby with Zelda open

when the switch is Docked can you use the Pro Controller only? Even to work the o.s without the Joycons or do you havd to use the Joycons?

Yeah, of course. I use my pro controller exclusively if I'm docked or tabletop. Use the joycons handheld mode. Pro is an amazing controller.

Persona7

Banned

You can use whatever you want in either mode. I played with a pro controller using the kickstand on my desk.

I'm having a small problem with the Switch connected to the dock, though I assume it's already been mentioned.

My dock is connected to an HDMI splitter, to which my Wii U and PS4 are also connected. If the Switch is in the dock and I'm playing, say, my PS4, the image on my monitor will go black from time to time and sometimes not even recover, kicking me back to the second HDMI port (my PC).

I'm definitely sure that it's my Switch what is causing this behavior, since I removed it from the dock, played Horizon for about an hour and had absolutely no issues with it anymore. Any ideas of what may be going on?

Also, is there any way to keep the Switch completely turned off when you connect it to the dock to charge? It turns itself on and goes to sleep mode whenever I connect it (which I assume is the root of my problem too).
Same here.

You'll have to charge directly without the dock or use a different HDMI input until Nintendo patch this.

Zalman

I think my Switch is broken. Can't connect to wifi at all anymore. It worked fine before. I even tried sitting right next to the router, still couldn't connect.

Kudo

I think my Switch is broken. Can't connect to wifi at all anymore. It worked fine before. I even tried sitting right next to the router, still couldn't connect.

I couldn't get it to connect while it was docked until I switched the dock position, started working. I guess it was too close to TV.

Really happy with Breath of the Wild so far. Also The Switch feels and looks great in hand.

I just wish that the charging cable was longer, and that the brick around the plug was designed to not block other wall or powerstrip plugs. Minor things.

Also the WiFi range and the left Joy-Con are both touchy. Hopefully the two problems are related and a future software update can fix it.

Nintendo really needs to buckle down and get the online stuff rolling. The console software is barebones and MK8 + Splatoon are probably two of the biggest online games Nintendo has, Smash 4 is also pretty big and that's rumored to be coming soon too!

I think I've solved my issue.

If you turn off your Switch while in handheld mode and then dock it, it turns itself on and goes into sleep mode. I think this is what's causing interference with other HDMI sources if you're using a splitter or have a monitor/TV that with an HDMI auto-switch feature.

BUT, if you dock your Switch and turn it off while docked (using the TV), it won't turn itself on again and won't go to sleep mode. I played about an hour of Horizon on my PS4 Pro with my Switch still docked and got zero issues unlike yesterday.

It's going to get a bit cumbersome if I decide to play Zelda in handheld mode. Hopefully having the Pro controller will mean that I won't have to unplug the joycon every time I want to turn it off from the TV.
I'll have to try this. What happens if I can't power off using the TV? Mine won't control my TV at all.

Do I just power of after docking? How?

Future

Anyone nervous about leaving this plugged in all the time? Since I'm going back to work, out of instinct I unplugged the dock but I'm not sure that's necessary. Laptops they still recommend you not leaving it on the charger all day

Anyone nervous about leaving this plugged in all the time? Since I'm going back to work, out of instinct I unplugged the dock but I'm not sure that's necessary. Laptops they still recommend you not leaving it on the charger all day
Hopefully switch has some good battery charging logic.

PSFan

Learn good technique and that won't happen. There are many tutorials. Try the shower technique.

Or hey, go without a screen protector and get scratches on the screen itself. Your call. $8 or $300.

This screen protector reassurance and superiority complex needs to stop. Many, many people don't use screen protectors and never have gotten scratches or anything.

Is there a way to prevent the system from turning on when you plug it in to charge? I play strictly as a handheld and turn the system off when done playing and ready to charge. When I plug the system in, it boots back up so I have to manually power down again. I tried looking in the Settings but couldn't find anything.

usp84

So i use the switch as handheld then i power it off completely.But when i insert it to the dock to charge it and it just turns on again!

How can i stop this?

EDIT lol person above me has the exact same problem

Twookie

I wish the stand had an ethernet connector :/

the internet in my room is terrible, and I guess I could go out of my room to play splatoon 2 test but I feel like I shouldn't have to, it sucks that there's no option for ethernet.
bounty-wag.gif

Mandelbo

I wish the stand had an ethernet connector :/

the internet in my room is terrible, and I guess I could go out of my room to play splatoon 2 test but I feel like I shouldn't have to, it sucks that there's no option for ethernet.
bounty-wag.gif

You can use a USB-to-Ethernet adapter to get a wired connection. It's a bit of a shame that it doesn't have one by default though, but I didn't really expect it to after the Wii and the Wii U didn't.

Twookie

You can use a USB-to-Ethernet adapter to get a wired connection. It's a bit of a shame that it doesn't have one by default though, but I didn't really expect it to after the Wii and the Wii U didn't.

is it confirmed that it would work though? usb-c to hdmi did not so I am a bit skeptical.
If it works though then that's a mild bandaid.

Is there a way to prevent the system from turning on when you plug it in to charge? I play strictly as a handheld and turn the system off when done playing and ready to charge. When I plug the system in, it boots back up so I have to manually power down again. I tried looking in the Settings but couldn't find anything.

So i use the switch as handheld then i power it off completely.But when i insert it to the dock to charge it and it just turns on again!

How can i stop this?

EDIT lol person above me has the exact same problem

I have the same problem lol. No idea what to do.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok so about the parental controls app supposedly acting as an activity log. It doesn't really though, does it? There's no way to filter it to show me overall playtime for each game is there? It seems to only show how much I play daily. I'd essentially have to look at each day and add it up to see overall playtime.

The switch has stolen all of my ps4 freetime. I've played Zelda for almost 20 hours already, also got Bomberman, snipperclips, and shovel knight from the Mexico store.

ekim

I think I will buy a grey pair of joycons :eek:
What happens if I use them instead of the ones that came with the system. Will the "old" pair be desynched or could I, in theorey, use them parallel? How do I turn off joycons?

So......is saying the joycon cradles controller (the puppy controller) is really quite comfortable an unpopular opinion? I've been playing Zelda with that and while I'm sure the Pro controller is better (aint spending $100Aud for it though) Ive actually found the cradle joycon combo surprisingly good. I thought it looked pretty awful leading up to release, but now that Ive had hands on time with it, I actually quite like it

My only issue is the triggers are a bit small and close to eachother for a game like Zelda. Find myself hitting the wrong one easily.

jblank83

I mean, after a couple of minutes it'll go back into sleep mode, yeah? Mine does.

It won't increase the charge time by any significant amount.

My only issue is the triggers are a bit small and close to eachother for a game like Zelda. Find myself hitting the wrong one easily.

Yeah, I'm getting used to it after a couple of hours but the triggers/shoulders are definitely cramped and the minus button is weirdly awkwardly close to the left analog. Surprisingly I don't mind the face buttons as a D-Pad substitute so far.

I think they could have extended the size of the joycons to size of the joycons + grip and it would still be OK as a handheld.

mieumieu

Just got my Switch today. I didn't buy any physical games with it (my Disgaea 5 will come next week when my coworker is back from Japan), so I bought Fast RMX instead with my remaining $20 in the eShop account. This game is amazing! Much better than the Wii U version, and on par with the greatest WipEout games at least. I haven't played the 3D F-Zero games so I can't comment on that.

I am considering buying VOEZ and Blaster Master Zero next. Other games I already have on other platforms (including BotW).

Also can I use my Macbook charger (29W) to charge the Switch?

The Joy-Cons as separate controllers actually worked very well in the Snipperclips demo. Very satisfied with the Switch so far.

Last night, I was over my parents house with my family and we played 4 players. Each of us with a joycon. When ever we solved a puzzle we would all cheer and laugh. It was such a fun experience trying to figure it out and communicating as a team. Such a great time with friends and family. Highly recommended.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So after one weekend with Switch I can say that I really love the Switch as a handheld. I had to go away for the weekend so I played Zelda in the plane and where I was visiting and it was a real joy.

I like the OS too, it's really fast, but I found it pretty lacking on several occasions.

The whole adding friends via friend codes is so cumbersome and it would have been at least helped a lot by a browser to allow to copy them from twitter or here on GAF.

The kickstand also annoys me from time to time by not staying closed. And I'm not a fan of the joycons in the sense that I can't find a decent balance between being able to use the right stick and using the R and ZR buttons comfortable at the same time.

Ok so about the parental controls app supposedly acting as an activity log. It doesn't really though, does it? There's no way to filter it to show me overall playtime for each game is there? It seems to only show how much I play daily. I'd essentially have to look at each day and add it up to see overall playtime.

If you select your user icon in the top left of the Switch main menu, it tells you the total play time of each of your games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom