• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Fimrware update available (Ver. 2.2.0)

Jumeira

Banned
And it still ends up sucking every time, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Nope, not at all, the latest has made it the fastest for core gaming fubctions. Switch UI is literally empty, as in, you can't do much other then launch games and check news. It's horrid.

Jumeira

Banned
I love the minimalism of the switch ui, they should add more functions but not overhaul the UI.

Some actual functions would be nice, minimalism isn't an excuse for limited to no features.

Launching games sounds pleasant not horrid

That's not even a feature but you count that as a plus for a UI? Not good standards to hold Nintendo by. What's horrid is the fact I can't message my friend!

bibs

Tis update finally solved a major issue I've been having with the system since launch. Before, whenever the system was docked, it would show it was connected to my WiFi but would actually never be actually able to connect to the internet (it was fine undocked). Just docked it again after the update and it finally connects to the net while docked. So happy!

dkeane

Nope, not at all, the latest has made it the fastest for core gaming fubctions. Switch UI is literally empty, as in, you can't do much other then launch games and check news. It's horrid.
I like playing games without being bombarded with advertisements and other bullshit.

Jumeira

Banned
I like playing games without being bombarded with advertisements and other bullshit.

Advertisement argument is bullshit, your not bombarded with that on MS and Sony's machines. And you can boot to games (at least on X1). I like core gaming and social features at the very least in my gaming machines.

Atheerios

People need to remember that the first big update to the system will come until summer with the new online system. Until then there's very little chance we are going to get noteworthy changes to the UI

Falchion

I hope it fixes my activity log. Breath of the Wild just shows 'played a few minutes' even though I've put many hours into it.

Kudo

I'm sure apps will come later, I'm just happy that they get the OS right by making it so fast and snappy, playing Splatoon on Wii U lately is a nightmare OS-wise when you want to change anything from settings it takes around minute to even get there.

Logash

I'm not sure if this has to do with the update but my left joycon isn't recognized when it is attached to the system. Is anyone getting this?

bomblord1

Banned
Ran the update and I've been greeted with a black screen. I'm scared to do a hard shut down in case it is installing the update and forcing it could corrupt something.

edit: after about 10 minutes of nothing I hard rebooted and it started without issue.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Can confirm that the Browser Bypass no longer works.

Just loads a blank white page now

Very interesting to note that Nintendo just paid off their first people for their HackerOne program just on April 11th, just 7 days ago. They recently updated their HackerOne page to include the Switch as well (before it was just 3DS). It seems likely that whatever vulnerabilities that these people reported would have been fixed in this patch. So "stability" includes patching vulnerabilities probably.

You can check out Nintendo's HackerOne page here https://hackerone.com/nintendo?view_policy=true

Edit: I'll also note that patch 2.1.0 fixed a webkit exploit that people have begun using to access the system's RAM to begin understanding how it works. Obviously Nintendo doesn't want this. It wouldn't surprise me if this was a patch for something not too dissimilar.

This is quite embarrassing in this day and age.

Absolutely embarassing. Even the Wii U supports 1080p correctly on my Dell 2407WFP 24" LCD (1920x1200). Not sure why the Switch only goes up to 720p for me.

That's upsetting to hear. I actually have to run the Switch through the XB1 to play in 1080p. Kind of a ridiculous band-aid to a ridiculous problem.

Holy crap that's a good idea! How did you make that work? I have my Xbone S hooked up to my monitor and it does 1080p just fine.

1n42zs.jpg

What types of 1080p displays does Switch not support?

Well my monitor (Dell 2407WFP) is 24" with a resolution of 1920x1200 so it doesn't support 1080p on it. The Switch only lets me do auto, 480p, or 720p.

I find it odd because the Wii U was perfectly fine supporting 1080p to my monitor.

It's perfect for a handheld. I really hope they will never bog it down with pointless features.

B33

Banned
Nintendo should pull an Apple and include a digital copy of Thor 2: The Dark World in the next Switch firmware update.

NEO0MJ

Hope it it at least fixed the issue where the console won't register button inputs. I had to wait for the battery to run out before I could use it again.

What's with the absolutist attitude? It's either bare bones or "bogged down with pointless features"?
Not sure if people actually love the Switch as is or are in total denial.

Top Bottom