• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Powered by Custom Nvidia Tegra Chip (Official)

Leatherface

Are you all positive this is sub Xbox1 performance when zero specs have been released? We may be surprised to find this can be very comparable. I'm excited to know. Either way though, I'm pretty damn happy.

So with these inferior specs, how are they going to convince third parties to invest time optimizing a port for this platform with wonky controllers and unproven online infrastructure when their money and time are better off spent developing PS4/XB1/PC versions with larger proven installbases and more flexible hardware?

Again, Nintendo is caught in the awkward position of being unattractive to the development of AAA third party games.

I get they announced a list of supporting third parties. They do that every gen to compensate their insecurities. But last time, it just ended up being mostly inferior ports until support died out.

Did you even watch the video

So with these inferior specs, how are they going to convince third parties to invest time optimizing a port for this platform with wonky controllers and unproven online infrastructure when their money and time are better off spent developing PS4/XB1/PC versions with larger proven installbases and more flexible hardware?

Again, Nintendo is caught in the awkward position of being unattractive to the development of AAA third party games.

I get they announced a list of supporting third parties. They do that every gen to compensate their insecurities. But last time, it just ended up being mostly inferior ports until support died out.

Stop buying Nintendo consoles for western third party AAA titles and specs. That's not what they're about. What you get (like that list) is an incentivized bonus. Nevermind the fact that this is a bloody portable device regardless.

Maedre

Banned
Are you all positive this is sub Xbox1 performance when zero specs have been released? We may be surprised to find this can be very comparable. I'm excited to know. Either way though, I'm pretty damn happy.

Yes, positive. more is in a 16nm process and mobolie not possible at this point.

Grinchy

Banned
This looks fucking sweet! I will definitely have my eye on this leading up to March. My last Nintendo console was a N64, so I'd love to get back on the train. I just didn't feel like I needed a Gamecube, I thought the Wii was a huge piece of shit, and I live with someone who owns a Wii U. This might be the one I pick up right away.

OCD Guy

Why do we have to have me too ports.

Here's an idea how about some original and new i.p being made?

Honestly I'm fine without watchdogs, assasins creed, fifa, call of duty, battlefield, need for speed etc

It's essentially a gaming tablet. I don't see how it could be more powerful than an X1 console?

Air

Banned

Unless development costs on the platform are record low and accessible, I find it hard to imagine RDR2 or the next Battlefield coming to Switch.

Weren't some of the rumors that it's easy to develop for? That and with the right pricing, this thing could be on fire. So I think 3rd parties could see the investment potential

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
CUDA, the API developed specifically by Nvidia for Nvidia GPU architecture is the wrong API to use on NVidia hardware?

Come again?
You know NV hw runs OpenCL as well, right? And that both APIs are largely interchangeable? But sure, 'the API designed specifically for NV GPUs' - this is what happens when you actively downplay OpenCL on your hw for generations on, just to have your proprietary API lock-in in a couple of industries. Now they have a CUDA trojan in the console industry as well. Just because they're determined to fight OpenCL to the end.

Thraktor

Yes, positive. more is in a 16nm process and mobolie not possible at this point.

It is eminently, entirely possible for an actively cooled 16nm Pascal-based Tegra device to outperform XBox One. Not that I personally expect it to, but it's entirely within the realm of technical feasibility.

rambis

Banned

Yeah, its definitely not possible at that size. Whats the screen resolution anyway?

The Lamp

Did you even watch the video

No I didn't. I came in here and didn't bother watching the 3 minute video of the most anticipated Nintendo console in years. Of course I watched the damn video.

Yes, the break off controllers are wonky.

You can always buy peripherals and add-ons, but that just introduces more complexity in controller options, which I'm not a fan of.

Zelda did look kinda rough framerate-wise when in portable mode.

They still have some time though.

That's what confusing me..

Where's the chip(CPU and/or GPU) actually installed? Why is the performance seem different between portable and docked mode? Shouldn't the portable mode perform better as it render at a much lower resolution than the docked mode?

Weren't some of the rumors that it's easy to develop for? That and with the right pricing, this thing could be on fire. So I think 3rd parties could see the investment potential

I am assuming that depends on the RoI for "downporting" if this is weaker and not on the same sort of hardware spec (ps4 and xbox one are essentially pcs, this being more akin to a tablet chipset wise).

If it is a small enough marginal cost to port then sure, but with game companies pushing for bigger and better hardware specs to make bigger and better looking games, who knows. Not to mention that it looks like this is cartridge based, so not sure how that factors into anything.

I am sort of intrigued, but will take a wait and see with this.

Maedre

Banned
It is eminently, entirely possible for an actively cooled 16nm Pascal-based Tegra device to outperform XBox One. Not that I personally expect it to, but it's entirely within the realm of technical feasibility.

While in the dicking station, but not on the go with a reasonable batterylife

So I can't understand console power unless we compare it to DBZ power levels. Is my understanding of the switch about right in DBZ terms?

Scorpio = SSJ God Goku
PS Pro = SSJ God Vegeta
PS4 = SSJ3 Goku
XBONE = SSJ2 Gohan
Switch = SSJ Goku
Wii U = Krillin

Guys, the way games are made nowadays (usually with middleware), the architecture means jack.

x86, ARM, MIPS... As long as the engine supports it, you're good.

Since ARM is dominant in the mobile space, most engines support it.

Let's not forget that ARM, in terms of processing power, is catching up to x86. A good ARM chip will kick the teeth out of a low-powered x86 chip. There's a chance that the CPU in the switch might beat out the PS4/Xbone. (GPU...mmmm.. Probably not).

The Lamp

Why do we have to have me too ports.

Here's an idea how about some original and new i.p being made?

Honestly I'm fine without watchdogs, assasins creed, fifa, call of duty, battlefield, need for speed etc

Because it's risky to make a new IP just for an unproven platform whose last platform failed commercially.

If it's not an exclusive IP, why target it to the Switch? Again, unproven market and install-base.

New third party IPs will appear for Switch, but they're risky to develop for, and if they fail like they did on Wii U because nobody bought it, they will lose most third party support, again.

Where's the chip(CPU and/or GPU) actually installed? Why is the performance seem different between portable and docked mode? Shouldn't the portable mode perform better as it render at a much lower resolution than the docked mode?

Tegra chip likely has a down clocked power saving mode for mobile since battery life needs to be considered.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
While in the dicking station, but not on the go with a reasonable batterylife

tumblr_n8socj7lv61s9y3qio1_400.gif

JP

I think if they're measuring things in "man-years" then this console is probably going to be less powerful than the N64 as that was surely about at least double this.

Instro

If there is a performance difference it would be because the dock allows the hardware to increase clockspeed.

So I can't understand console power unless we compare it to DBZ power levels. Is my understanding of the switch about right in DBZ terms?

Scorpio = SSJ God Goku
PS Pro = SSJ God Vegeta
PS4 = SSJ3 Goku
XBONE = SSJ2 Gohan
Switch = SSJ Goku
Wii U = Krillin

This is even easier to understand than the batman comparison. DBZ truly is a universal language.

Do we know the resolution of the screen? The Nintendo Switch site isn't loading for me because a bajillion people are probably trying to access it right now.

Top Bottom