• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Powered by Custom Nvidia Tegra Chip (Official)

Akhe

Another rumor from a Chinese blogging called Baidu (Baidu lol).

"According to a user on the website, the system will carry Pascal GPU architecture from NVIDIA, 4GB of RAM and an A73 ARM processor. Another titbit is the apparent 4319 mAh battery for the console’s portable mode"

"However, the post seems to have been deleted since it was originally uploaded."

I don't know if you guys have already posted it

Oregano

Those rumours would directly contradict what we're hearing from DF(And others) about it being Maxwell. Also that battery seems huge compared to what Nintendo usually packs in, no?

Not sure there's much credibility there.

Those rumours would directly contradict what we're hearing from DF(And others) about it being Maxwell. Also that battery seems huge compared to what Nintendo usually packs in, no?

Not sure there's much credibility there.

I'm going to guess that DF's rumor came from a dev who has a devkit. There are people out there who believe the final product will be Pascal.

The Argus

Another rumor from a Chinese blogging called Baidu (Baidu lol).

I don't know if you guys have already posted it

I still have hopes for Pascal, but there's no way in God's Green Earth we're getting a 4300 mAh battery. I'm sure there is enough space for one, but so did the Wii U's gamepad, and that shipped with something like 2300.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm going to guess that DF's rumor came from a dev who has a devkit. There are people out there who believe the final product will be Pascal.

DF have said their information comes from a source that says the specs are directly representative of the final retail units

Shahadan

I still have hopes for Pascal, but there's no way in God's Green Earth we're getting a 4300 mAh battery. I'm sure there is enough space for one, but so did the Wii U's gamepad, and that shipped with something like 2300.

Yeah but the gamepad didn't need it as much, it wasn't doing much work.
The reality will probably be something in between

antonz

DF is also saying they heard there are pascal features added to the chip. So honestly what the final chip is seems Safer to call Frankenstein than Maxwell or Pascal.

The clock speeds are final. I don't think their sources said, "This Maxwell chip will be in the final retail unit."
Yeah. They didn't have much more besides them saying that some stuff from Pascal development is tin the chipset.

This is more interesting now that Laura Kate Dale stated that the October dev kits are more powerful than the ones from July. As Blu suggested, though, the kits could have always been Underclocked.

Yeah. They didn't have much more besides them saying that some stuff from Pascal development is tin the chipset.

This is more interesting now that Laura Kate Dale stated that the October dev kits are more powerful than the ones from July. As Blu suggested, though, the kits could have always been Underclocked.

ughh the dev kits must in july must have been awfully weak then.

Speely

Banned

That does not necessarily follow. There are any number of specific variables that could be associated with either proposed dev kit that weren't specifically and reliably confirmed that could change the performance of either considerably.

Given that this is a console that is very, very reliant upon the balance between performance and battery life and heat dissipation, I'd wager to say that Nintendo targeted a performance target and then adjusted, through iteration, to find the best way to reach that while keeping all of the aforementioned factors in mind.

That might mean that the process involved a downgrade in one or more areas, but we don't know that for sure. The unofficial info we have just suggests that (which is admittedly historically supported by Nintendo's usual M.O.)

Personally I think that if the platform sucked we would have heard more about it sucking by now. But what do I know?

*Shrugs*. U untill now, we thought the power was the same. We don't know how much of a difference it is.

The 2x FP16 performance? I think people here have stated that's only a feature of Tegra chips, so no.

Not true. These Tegra Pascal chips are very similar to 2nd generation Maxwell, and it shares the same GPU architecture.

Not true. These Tegra Pascal chips are very similar to 2nd generation Maxwell, and it shares the same GPU architecture.

Hmm? The question I was responding to was whether or not desktop Pascal chips had 2x FP16 performance, and since that's a feature which is much more important for mobile devices I had thought that only Tegra Pascal (and Tegra Maxwell) chips would have that, so no desktop Pascal chips.

Unless that's incorrect...

Speely

Banned
You mean Frankenstein's monster. But yes.

To be fair, when using this analogy outside of the story itself, it is generally accepted that "Frankenstein" means the same thing that would otherwise, to those familiar with said story, mean "Frankenstein's monster." It's sort of an accepted bit of easily-communicated imagery.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The 2x FP16 performance? I think people here have stated that's only a feature of Tegra chips, so no.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/5

Low precision operations are in turn seen by NVIDIA as one of the keys into further growing their increasingly important datacenter market, as deep learning and certain other tasks are themselves rapidly growing fields. Pascal isn’t just faster than Maxwell overall, but when it comes to FP16 operations on the FP16x2 core, Pascal is a lot faster, with theoretical throughput over similar Maxwell GPUs increasing by over three-fold thanks to the combination of overall speed improvements and double speed FP16 execution.

GeForce GTX 1080, on the other hand, is not faster at FP16. In fact it’s downright slow. For their consumer cards, NVIDIA has severely limited FP16 CUDA performance. GTX 1080’s FP16 instruction rate is 1/128th its FP32 instruction rate, or after you factor in vec2 packing, the resulting theoretical performance (in FLOPs) is 1/64th the FP32 rate, or about 138 GFLOPs.

As for why NVIDIA would want to make FP16 performance so slow on Pascal GeForce parts, I strongly suspect that the Maxwell 2 based GTX Titan X sold too well with compute users over the past 12 months, and that this is NVIDIA’s reaction to that event. GTX Titan X’s FP16 and FP32 performance was (per-clock) identical its Tesla equivalent, the Tesla M40, and furthermore both cards shipped with 12GB of VRAM. This meant that other than Tesla-specific features such as drivers and support, there was little separating the two cards.
Native FP16 compute seems to be a feature only seen on Tegra and Telsa GPUs starting with the Tegra X1. The GTX Titan X is the only exception.

Hmm? The question I was responding to was whether or not desktop Pascal chips had 2x FP16 performance, and since that's a feature which is much more important for mobile devices I had thought that only Tegra Pascal (and Tegra Maxwell) chips would have that, so no desktop Pascal chips.

Unless that's incorrect...

Oops. I misread the original question you were answering. Sorry about that. I thought the answer was the same, but when I read up on it..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/5

Native FP16 compute seems to be a feature only seen on Tegra and Telsa GPUs starting with the Tegra X1.

I just finished reading that article before I came back. It is bizarre to find out that the GeForce GTX 1080 is hilariously a lot slower using fp16 than fp32.

dr_rus

I just finished reading that article before I came back. It is bizarre to find out that the GeForce GTX 1080 is hilariously a lot slower using fp16 than fp32.

It's slower when using native FP16 math which is there for compatibility purposes only (so you could debug the same CUDA code for GP100 system on your laptop with a 1060). Obviously you can use FP32 math instead or emulate FP16 on FP32 ALUs which will give you the same(ish) rate as that of FP32. Do note that native FP16 operations are not exposed in DX and other graphics APIs on GeForce 10 lineup (including Titan X) so it's not like you can even use them in gaming code - unless you're willing to use CUDA in that code.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's slower when using native FP16 math which is there for compatibility purposes only (so you could debug the same CUDA code for GP100 system on your laptop with a 1060). Obviously you can use FP32 math instead or emulate FP16 on FP32 ALUs which will give you the same(ish) rate as that of FP32. Do note that native FP16 operations are not exposed in DX and other graphics APIs on GeForce 10 lineup (including Titan X) so it's not like you can even use them in gaming code - unless you're willing to use CUDA in that code.
Wait, using mediump and lower GLES declarations on a GP100 will still produce single precision arithmetics?

ed: Bah, Titan X is a GP102 - of course it won't do fp16 proper, CUDA or otherwise.

Top Bottom