• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Powered by Custom Nvidia Tegra Chip (Official)

tesla246

USC fan finally back bringing the hype!

Also pretty interesting to see how this hardware speculations differs when revealed/compared to WiiU.

Boss Man

Sorry if this has been answered but is it equal or greater to the Wii U in power? I feel like Wii U was enough for Nintendo games but weaker would be lame.

BuggyMike

Sorry if this has been answered but is it equal or greater to the Wii U in power? I feel like Wii U was enough for Nintendo games but weaker would be lame.

It's looking to be more powerful than the Wii U by a decent margin. We still don't know the full specs for sure just yet though.

pestul

If it isn't at least 2-3x Wii U in portable mode, I'd be slightly disappointed. I'm rooting for 1TF in docked mode.

Neoxon

Would be a lovely time to introduce a third Pokemon game. Call it Eclipse. :p

It really is a beast. I hope its not the end of the Shield line. :(
Not with Sun & Moon still on the way. And even then, it's entirely possible that it'll be a 3DS/Switch cross-gen release.

LeleSocho

Banned
So I can't understand console power unless we compare it to DBZ power levels. Is my understanding of the switch about right in DBZ terms?

Scorpio = SSJ God Goku
PS Pro = SSJ God Vegeta
PS4 = SSJ3 Goku
XBONE = SSJ2 Gohan
Switch = SSJ Goku
Wii U = Krillin

This scale is all kind of wrong, let me fix this... taking as good that the Switch has a Maxwell based chip that when docked reaches 512 GFLOP/s FP32 and something less when not docked.

Scorpio = Gohan SSJ2
PS Pro = Trunks SSJ Dai San Dankai (also known as UltraSSJ)
PS4 = Vegeta SSJ Dai Ni Dankai (also known as Super Vegeta)
XBONE = Semi Perfect Cell
Switch docked = Imperfect Cell/C16
Switch handheld = Piccolo
WiiU = C17/C18

AfroDust

This scale is all kind of wrong, let me fix this... taking as good that the Switch has a Maxwell based chip that when docked reaches 512 GFLOP/s FP32 and something less when not docked.

Scorpio = Gohan SSJ2
WiiU = C17/C18

Nah bruh that's way to damn complicated.

Hermii

"Top performing" is broad, so it suggests to me that they're trying not to be very specific.

I could very well be wrong though. It's just a thought.

I suppose they could mean sales performance and not power performance, but in that context it sounds more like power performance to me.

heringer

Why people are now expecting this to be on par with PS4 and X1? Wasn't it pretty much expected to not reach the same level as current generation?

mrlion

Scorpio = Gohan SSJ2
WiiU = C17/C18

What the hell is this mess that you just made...

Hermii

This may have been asked, but is it confirmed if Tegra is based on Pascal?

Nvidia said "based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards" interpret it how you wish.

I choose to interpret it as "Nintendo won't allow us to tell you its pascal, but its pascal".

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
theres gonna be some very disappointed people if they really think Switch is gonna produce anything near current gen level graphics, Nintendo games are gonna look great thou

Wallach

This thing really seems like an upgraded Shield. I wonder how much NVidia had to do with the direction of this console.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nvidia said "based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards" interpret it how you wish.

I choose to interpret it as "Nintendo won't allow us to tell you its pascal, but its pascal".

Probably they won't say it's Pascal also because it's custom.

This thing really seems like an upgraded Shield. I wonder how much NVidia had to do with the direction of this console.

My thoughts exactly, its probably just me but when they first showed the plastic controller I thought it looked like the Shield material before I even knew it uses the same type of hardware.

lenovox1

Do I have to put the Nintendo Snatch into the Dicking Station in order to charge it?

Just like with any good power bottom, it must get dicked down at the Dicking Station periodically.

Alternatively, the Dicking Station should be the name of a gay bar.

Real answer: We don't know that yet.

antonz

The "Specs" are literally just a default X1 Devkit boards specs as others have stated which makes sense until final hardware was finished.

Gives a min spec range though which is at least partially useful.

Josh378

You think the Nintendo Switch has enough power to support VR? Would love to see someone create an app to make the Switch work with the PSVR headset.

I'm happy with it. As far as Nintendo goes, IMO this is the best direction they could have taken. What excites me is that the concept is quite flexible to multiple types of variants down the line, like a smaller screen variant (for more portability) and a Dock that can increase the power of the console more.

I also like the name, it is simple but effective.

defferoo

my take on DBZ power levels

Xbox Scorpio - Ultimate Gohan
PS4 Pro - SSJ3 Goku
PS4 - SSJ2 Goku
Xbox One - SSJ2 Vegeta
Switch - SSJ2 Gohan
Wii U - SSJ Goku
Wii - Goku
GameCube - Krillin
N64 - Master Roshi
NES - Turtle

TunaLover

Sorry if already mentioned but the portable unit has vents on top, that means it has active cooling, does Shield had active cooling too?

IBetUHav

Neo Member
72555558.jpg

This got me

antonz

Sorry if already mentioned but the portable unit has vents on top, that means it has active cooling, does Shield had active cooling too?

Shield TV which is the match for the devkit specs does have active cooling. A Pascal version would likely remain actively cooled as well

NeOak

The leak was essentially a bog standard Tegra X1. It's entirely possible Nintendo went that route, but it would be a departure from their usual insistence on customizing things.

You didn't see my posts in that thread calling that out lol

antonz

Thanks, I wonder if it will activate itself only in docking mode.

If the device downclocks when in Portable mode its possible it would turn off otherwise it would be on at all times as ShieldTV is running at 512gflops. Nintendo modifications can be numerous and throw in the pascal possibility and it expands even more.

Aleh

Of course it will have a touchscreen, guys please lol
And it needs to be affordable since it's going to eventually replace the 3DS too, which can be bought for just $79 now

TheRed

But nowhere near the GPU power of Xbox One or PS4 so it really doesn't matter that much. GPU does most of the hard work.
Give me lower res BF1 portable with 60 fps. Lol going by performance on PC a better CPU could make it run a lot smoother with 64 players running around. Even it looked a little worse than PS4/Xbone versions I would take it.

Of course doubt EA will really care about Nintendo enough to try it.

Afrikan

The nvidia shield TV is absolutely the best top box I have ever used. The thing is a fucking monster for how tiny and cheap it is. The fact that they beefed the crap out of it even more....slammed it into a tablet and have a home docking station is just amazing. I wonder if that means nvidia now will even make its way over to the system. Would allow a streaming service that nintendo doesn't even have to invest in.

is this true? how much more powerful is the Switch compared to the Shield TV?

I thought the Switch was a spin off of existing Tegra tech, Nintendoed down to make it affordable. Didn't think it would be Shield TV 2.0

Top Bottom