• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch UI video from some guy [named hiphoptherobot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the FCC filings it does. It supports 802.11ac 2x MIMO with 80Hz bands, so a theoretical maximum of 867Mb/s on 5GHz and 400Mb/s on 2.4GHz. Of course actual wifi speeds never reach the theoretical max, but it puts them on par with high-end phones and tablets, which is pretty big improvement for Nintendo (even the recent n3DS only supports 54Mb/s 802.11g).
I said holy shit.

MRW:

8TnoGN3.gif
Omfg im dying

Mediking

You have a pre-set list of icons (characters from Nintendo games) that you can choose to represent your account rather than using a Mii. Also it's optional if you want to make a Mii this time around.

For real? Wow. That's cool. I wanna use my Mii though.

Unless... they keep adding more and more cool icons that appeal to me.

Go tell my dad, I don't even mind.

Nah, the video's cool. People have just been so up in arms about Nintendo not releasing a video of the damn menu, which has been lunacy to me. "WHY HAVE THEY NOT DONE A DIRECT OF THE OS UI?"

It's more the lingering questions about Virtual Console and eShop and the like, isn't it? And the voice chat/game audio headset questions, etc.

Those are questions that many people would like answered before the thing launches.

It appears you can lower the screen resolution to 480p if you want.

That would probably increase battery life, correct?

That's for the dock. The default is 480p so that pretty much any TV can recognise it, same with Wii U. It will give you more options like 720p and 1080p when the device is docked.

Apparently because there'a almost nothing to show.

Right, like most console UI.

It's more the lingering questions about Virtual Console and eShop and the like, isn't it? And the voice chat/game audio headset questions, etc.

Those are questions that many people would like answered before the thing launches.
Totally with you there. Even just a clarifying statement in an interview would be enough.

routerbad

Banned
How on earth is that even remotely true? It doesn't support multi-tasking, suspend functionality, the ability to access the primary UI in-game, the ability to directly load from one app/game into another, in-game notifications. Even if we don't want to get into the odd layout, the lack of customization, the incredibly outdated aesthetic approach, OR the terribly atrocious speeds, it doesn't even match the other more modern OSes on a functionality level.

This seems literal lightyears ahead of the WiiU OS.

I would agree that the Wii U UI looks better than the XBoxOne UI, but I actually like the PS4 UI quite a bit. It's snappy, simple, and intuitive. The Wii U UI wasn't snappy, but was intuitive (some of the things you're talking about here are OS features and not necessarily UI features, like the lack of multitasking) and had some well done touches with material and music within the interface. Aside from that, I'm happy to see it go, and this looks phenomenal.

It appears you can lower the screen resolution to 480p if you want.

That would probably increase battery life, correct?

Ah, that's a great point! I really like how, similar to the 3DS, it instructs you to interact with the hardware to show the basic "gimmick" (I mean that in a loving way).

Fliesen

This looks so nice. An actual, flat, 2D UI - panes, menu items and all.
none of that bubbly, animation overload, slow-as-shit.

looks really really neat.

dracula_x

Theres no Activity Log...and Zelda doesn't have an ingame timer...which means I'll have to use a timer and manually add up my playtime.

My god Nintendo. Why did you remove the AL? This is fucking ridiculous.

if you miss Activity Log, then I think there's a solution – Nintendo Switch Parental Controls mobile app :)

U0Sblf8.png

38D83vs.png

kunonabi

Can't say I'm all that impressed but at least there is the possibility of themes. Too bad badge arcade is dead.

MildlyMad

Neo Member
Looks good, nice and slick. The Wifi selection screen looked identical to the standard android selection screen.
Shame about the Miis being pushed into the settings, they always had a soft-spot in my heart.

Shy

hiphoptherobot.

Would it be possible for you to post a vid of you installing a micro SD card, formatting and setting it up.

Fake edit: I don't think SD cards work until the day 1 update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom