• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Update Ver. 4.0.0 Live! Some video capture, transfer profiles/saves

sneas78

Banned
30 seconds of SD 480P and all it’s glory. Playback video was pretty bad. I uploaded to twitter, but after watching the replay on tv.. didn’t bother checking the quality.. it was pretty bad. I don’t know what’s going on.. the first few times I captured gameplay .. it was pretty good in BOTW.. but in Mario Kart yeks.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

patientx

Has anyone tried playing the file on pc from sd card ? also maybe uploading raw somewhere vs twitter to compare quality ?

I doubt they will, unless that old Tegra has hardware based H.265 encoders, it'll be a huge stress on it.

Shame. :(

Taken from Nvidia Page :

Tegra X1 also supports decode of 10-bit color-depth 4K H.265 60 fps video streams. This enables Tegra X1 products to stream a wide selection 4K content from services such as Netflix. Tegra X1 supports 4K 60 fps local and external displays with support for HDMI 2.0 interfaces and HDCP 2.2 copy protection. On the encode side, Tegra X1 supports encode of 4K video at 30 fps in H.264, H.265 and VP8 formats.

MTC100

Banned
Yes, it's working like that.
On one hand, MEGATON!.

On the other, now I know I spent so much money on games I played for 2 hours :(
You have 2 options:

. play the heck out of those games now
. Mourne your losses and remind yourself about those games when you are about to buy another one

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah 720p ... in Mario Kart .. something was up. Not just blurry but like on your phone awhen you lose WiFi and video playback switches from 1080p to 480p on YouTube.. very noticeable.
This was coming from the switch itself .. not uploaded.
Like I said. BOTW was fine.. 720p

It seems like different games record at different quality. More proof that this is not a system wide feature just not enabled for the rest of the games, but a game specific one.

test_account

XP-39C²
But if you think the hardware can record 30 seconds clips one after the other, over and over again, the limitations aren't that hard. Theoretically it should be possible to tell the system to keep recording 30 second clips without the need of the user to save them. From there to a continuous longer clip, it's just a step.

I think it's either just dipping the toes in the water or choosing for the player. For now.

PS4 had a 15 minute limit for years. Then they upped it to 30 minutes without the need for extra hardware.

5 minutes would already make me very happy on the Switch.
I have to admit that i dont know that much about how this works, but doesnt it have to keep a buffer while recording? Its not constantly saving and deleting a video file from the internal memory? And having a bigger buffer requires more of the hardware. If it was to manually set the record button, it should be able to go for hourse (as long as theres enough space to save the video).

It's a little strange. If the system is already keeping track of everything at least to the hour, then why not display all play times like this? (17,23,89,etc.)

i would assume it's for privacy purposes. like you can't just check your friends data and see that he played splatoon for 2 hours yesterday or something like that. dunno, that's the best i could come up with.

Here's my issue. We can't backup our saves and now we have some junk constantly saving video on a solid state drive (select games but still) I'll flip my shit if I lose my saves over a garbage 30s video "feature".. Streaming culture ftw

shiyrley

Banned
Here's my issue. We can't backup our saves and now we have some junk constantly saving video on a solid state drive (select games but still) I'll flip my shit if I lose my saves over a garbage 30s video "feature".. Streaming culture ftw
What the fuck are you talking about
1- The Switch doesn't have a SSD, it has a flash memory
2- Of course that's not going constantly into the flash memory or the SD card,that would be absurd and would mess with the loading times and it would be a mess on this platform. Since they are just 20 MB videos, they are clearly going into RAM (until you decide to save them). It doesn't make sense to make it any other way, if it was like you described they could make the videos 15 min long if they wanted to.

It's a good practice to know what you are talking about.

TwiztidElf

Dammit. The patch seems to have introduced a problem for me.
I'm getting random screen flickering in docked mode. Haven't tried handheld yet.
Started happening while playing Picross S, but then it was also in the home screen.
I tried sleep mode/wake up. Same problem.
Tried a complete power cycle. Same problem.
Tried power cycling both my Switch and TV. Same problem (but it took a while to come back).
FE Warriors is tomorrow. :(

What the fuck are you talking about
1- The Switch doesn't have a SSD, it has a flash memory
2- Of course that's not going constantly into the flash memory or the SD card,that would be absurd and would mess with the loading times and it would be a mess on this platform. Since they are just 20 MB videos, they are clearly going into RAM (until you decide to save them). It doesn't make sense to make it any other way, if it was like you described they could make the videos 15 min long if they wanted to.

It's a good practice to know what you are talking about.

Flash is solid state drive (nand). Anyways since we both don't know how it's being implemented no point getting your nuts all tied up over it lmfao

jts

...hate me...
I have to admit that i dont know that much about how this works, but doesnt it have to keep a buffer while recording? Its not constantly saving and deleting a video file from the internal memory? And having a bigger buffer requires more of the hardware. If it was to manually set the record button, it should be able to go for hourse (as long as theres enough space to save the video).
It's also out of my depth, technically speaking. Intuitively I feel like it could just continuously write to storage memory - and yes, dismiss that file if it wasn't saved, because other recording methods on other devices (from capture to actual filming) almost never were limited by the RAM amount.

I do wonder if one of the concerns of that longer recording method, is too many writes on the microSD which could limit its lifespan.

We'll see, but anyway this is already cool.

shiyrley

Banned
Flash is solid state drive. Anyways since we both don't know how it's being implemented no point getting your nuts all tied up over it lmfao
No, an SSD is not the same as an eMMC.

And let me understand this properly: You can assume the (completely absurd) theory that the files are being written constantly on the internal memory and complain about how it will damage your savedata and doing some strange old man yells at cloud rant about streaming culture but I can't point out how absurd that would be because then I'm going nuts.

Sure man, you do you. I don't need to prove you that it's going to RAM, some of the people trying to crack the console open who investigate the whole OS will probably investigate this feature soon and you will see it for yourself, no point in losing my time really

No, an SSD is not the same as an eMMC.

And let me understand this properly: You can assume the (completely absurd) theory that the files are being written constantly on the internal memory and complain about how it will damage your savedata and doing some strange old man yells at cloud rant about streaming culture but I can't point out how absurd hat would be because then I'm going nuts.

Sure man, you do you.

My dad can beat up your dad! Nand memory chips make up both solid state drives and the storage in the switch but let's get tied up on nomiclature since your uncle works at Nintendo and designed it amirite?

Might want a little less shit in your morning cornflakes boss.

Considering I own 4 switches I don't really need the asshole defence force jumping in on legit concerns over bullshit like game recording on an already battery starved device.

Flash is solid state drive. Anyways since we both don't know how it's being implemented no point getting your nuts all tied up over it lmfao
Flash memory is solid state, but solid state drive is a specific thing that has integrated circuitry to go with the solid state memory.

Its maybe nitpicking to point out, because it doesn't counter your point about how something like a constantly streaming video file being a bad thing to have continually recording to solid state memory. It still true though.

I'd argue the biggest evidence for this being done in ram is the number of seconds it takes to actually save the video once you hold down the screen shot button. If it was already on the flash memory it wouldn't take so long I don't think.

shiyrley

Banned
My dad can beat up your dad! Nand memory chips make up both solid state drives and the storage in the switch but let's get tied up on nomiclature since your uncle works at Nintendo and designed it amirite?

Might want a little less shit in your morning cornflakes boss.

Considering I own 4 switches I don't really need the asshole defence force jumping in on legit concerns over bullshit like game recording on an already battery starved device.
image.php

You need to spend less time in 4chan and try to not get so salty when someone points out you're wrong.

Haha just saw the edit calling me "asshole". Good riddance! As I already said, no need to lose more of my time. And pointing out you're wrong is not being a defence force.

Flash memory is solid state, but solid state drive is a specific thing that has integrated circuitry to go with the solid state memory.

Its maybe nitpicking to point out, because it doesn't counter your point about how something like a constantly streaming video file being a bad thing to have continually recording to solid state memory. It still true though.

I'd argue the biggest evidence for this being done in ram is the number of seconds it takes to actually save the video once you hold down the screen shot button. If it was already on the flash memory it wouldn't take so long I don't think.

Oh I know, just some people clearly can't have bad speak about their brands or something without jumping down throats. I hate these forums for this very reason. Things get pretentious as hell over the stupidest things sadly.

image.php

You need to spend less time in 4chan and try to not get so salty when someone points out you're wrong.

Haha just saw the edit calling me "asshole". Good riddance! As I already said, no need to lose more of my time. And pointing out you're wrong is not being a defence force.

Hey if you are the defence force then you earned that badge lol.

1: we know the hard drive is solid state (who fucking cares if it's nand or any other non spinning format.) You knew what I was saying.

2: We both have no clue how it's implemented so being all dickish about it makes you look ridiculous.

3: I've already wasted too much time here so I'll see myself out before you need a safe space or some shit.

Seik

Banned
Oh I know, just some people clearly can't have bad speak about their brands or something without jumping down throats. I hate these forums for this very reason. Things get pretentious as hell over the stupidest things sadly.

Dude was just pointing out that your concerns with the recording video add-on doesn't stand. I don't see where it's Nintendo defense force, really. More tech talk than anything else.

If anyone's on the defensive here, it's you, like, really hard. :lol

I definitely think this Joy-Con update needs further investigation. I have one problematic left Joy-Con that before the update you could barely be a metre away from the Switch before it would start malfunctioning, and now seems to work if I stand ~4 metres away and holding the thing behind my back (which would always make it disconnect before the update regardless of distance away).

I wish I'd have tested this directly before and directly after the update, because that would have made it more apparent whether this is just me overestimating the problem before or not, but I'm about 90% sure there's something there and this update somehow improves connection.

Edit: And just to be 100% clear, this is a launch Joy-Con that I have never sent to Nintendo for repair or done any modification with myself.

This got my hopes up, but I don't notice any improvements on mine, unfortunately. Not that I tested before the update.

are the 8bitdo controllers still supported? I'd like to buy a SFC30 pro but I'm really afraid an update would break the compatibility...

FinalAres

Is the 1% really people getting rid of their Switch? If so, where does the people who have started playthroughs on a game on some other user's console end up?

I didn't even know that was possible in this update, is it just one save at a time you're transferring, unlinked to an account? Either way that would be the 0.01%. The use of save transfers is extremely minimal. 99% is about fair I'd say.

Not that I personally am being critical of this. It's a step in the right direction, and as long as Nintendo keeps going with this, good on em! I also think the 30 seconds is perfectly acceptable. Give the PS4's lack lustre annual update, having several updates like this in 6 months is pretty good in my books.

kc44135

Wow, the recording feature sucks. Just tried it with Mario Kart, and it looks like total grabage. It seemed like 480p or 360p. Really, really bad. :/

Hey if you are the defence force then you earned that badge lol.

1: we know the hard drive is solid state (who fucking cares if it's nand or any other non spinning format.) You knew what I was saying.

2: We both have no clue how it's implemented so being all dickish about it makes you look ridiculous.

3: I've already wasted too much time here so I'll see myself out before you need a safe space or some shit.
The clues (short clip size, time taken to save the clip) point to the buffering video being held in RAM, but whatever.

JoeM86

Wow, the recording feature sucks. Just tried it with Mario Kart, and it looks like total grabage. It seemed like 480p or 360p. Really, really bad. :/

It's 720p30. Unfortunately Twitter compresses the fuck out of videos so it looks terrible.

I uploaded a 1080p60 video of Pokkén onto Twitter last week. It got compressed to shit and looks like ass.

Minsc

Gold Member
This update sounded promising at first, but now I'm completely disappointed.

No save backup, super useless for me.

Video recording is completely botched, bad quality and short duration. Meanwhile my phone can record unlimited at 1080p while playing games, and any game at all at that. And the video editing features on the phone are also miles above, cutting and splitting at any point, mixing clips, adding effects and transitions between cuts, etc.

shiyrley

Banned
I was curious about the claims that MK8 clips had less quality than other games, so I analyzed a clip from both games. They appear to be pretty much identical. (Left is Zelda, right is MK8)
XRhWxpR.png

I'm thinking maybe the drop in quality is because MK8 is a much more fast paced game than, for example, Zelda, and in fast moving scenes a low bitrate is a lot more harmful to quality than in slow paced scenes. The more pixels are changing and moving and the more dramatic these changes are, the more the low bitrate will be apparent.

Quality sucks tbh, but it is what it is. I guess they can optimise the RAM usage of the OS and maybe record at a sightly higher bitrate if it doesn't impact performance, or just use the extra RAM to store larger (longer) files. I sure hope so. This feature is currently in the "better than nothing" territory, it's kind of bad, but I'm still gonna use it a lot lol.

Magnus

Save transferring is nice, but how does it work? If it just means a 3DS-style system transfer, that's not really solving the problem of being unable to back up your saves.

This. What's all the excitement about? It's not even cloud-saving the saves, or allowing me to back them up to a card or anything?

Twookie

can't say i'm all that impressed either

save backups are kinda useless since you have to have a second switch

I don't really mind the video recording thing, doubt I'll get much use of it really

more profile pictures are nice though

Minsc

Gold Member

I don't really mind the video recording thing, doubt I'll get much use of it really

It's not a backup, because your save becomes deleted from the first switch, it's just the ability to move a save over. So whether you have 1 switch or 1,000, you'll still only have 1 save.

kc44135

It's 720p30. Unfortunately Twitter compresses the fuck out of videos so it looks terrible.

I uploaded a 1080p60 video of Pokkén onto Twitter last week. It got compressed to shit and looks like ass.

Uh, I didn't even bother uploading it yet tho? I'm saying it looked terrible playing natively on my Switch. No way it's 720p. 720p looks rough, but not that rough.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
More importantly, where is that first render of Link from? I thought it was Twilight Princess at first glance, but it’s not.

Before Twilight Princess HD was revealed, some new 3D renders of Link were spotted in various promotional materials. It seems they've decided TP Link's look is the default look and these 3D renders of him are of the generic Link.

SteveWD40

I am just hopeful this is step one, with cloud saves being step two in 2018.

JaynePea

The save stuff is likely taking it's time because Nintendo doesn't want the Switch to be as easily hackable as the 3DS (I know it's been hacked, but there's still a ways to go from that to the state the 3DS is in).

Top Bottom