• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Takes Down Videos And Patreon From Creator Of Mario 64 Online

Clefargle

I’m fucking confused everybody saying he is making money off of someone else’s IP are you in support of Lets Plays, game ‘reviews’ that show large segements of games and Twitch streams?

They are all making money off of someone else’s IP and I’d estimate putting in a fraction of the work (not saying it’s not work but this guy seems to be heavily invested in breaking apart Mario 64).

It’s not like the guy is repackaging Mario 64 and selling it back he’s modding the game.

Modding the game, with other Nintendo IPs (waluigi, rosa, etc) do you not see this?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm not weighing into the debate of if Nintendo is right or wrong with this, but people are being disingenuous with their arguments. No one's 'paying' for Mario 64, the mod is completely free. They were choosing to support him for modding the feature into the game, it does take time and some who wanted this mod and got enjoyment out of it chose to support him. Patreon isn't a storefront, and he wasn't locking this mod behind his Patreon either.

I'm seeing some people acting like he was selling this, but he wasn't. The patreon was for people who wanted to support to do so, not to buy it.

Spacejaws

Modding the game, with other Nintendo IPs (waluigi, rosa, etc) do you not see this?

I can see it but I’m suggesting there is a ‘spirit of the law’ and ‘word of the law’ situation here. Modding the game with extra characters is harmless(however questionable) and nothing compared to the legitimate copyright violations that I see all day on the app store and web advertisements. Twitch streamers are broadcasting entire game plays for people and companies have claimed this is too a copyright violation. Do you agree?

Looking at Mod.db alot of popular mods are Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars mods which will undoubtably use various characters from their genre which I’m sure some of them have donation pages for difference is they’re not shutting every instance of the IP’s public utilisation down whereas Nintendo do and I think it's incredibly anti-consumer. Pokemon Uranium? Metriod? Nintendo is on a mission with protecting it’s IP’s more than I think it needs to be and gives the impression they are out of touch.

Didn’t they want to take down Smash streams at one point? How can anybody in the gaming community realistically say Nintendo have the best judgement here? I honestly believe they have payed for the best lawers who are scouring the net for every little situation to prove themselves competent and management just goes along.

Top Bottom