• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo TS?!? (guess who was bored last night?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

argon

Nifty design, but I see a couple potential problems.

- The buttons/D-pad would have to be flush with the edge to slide underneath. So maybe you could add a slight inset area in your mockup (similar to the DS lite)
- Can't use face buttons/D-pad in widescreen mode. I hope Nintendo doesn't do away with widescreen traditional gaming.
- The DS 'stereo' sound doesn't really work with that design.

Also, since this is a Nintendo portable, so I don't see certain features happening:

- USB 2.0 & SD card slot. Needless hardware expense that could be replaced by a Wii channel to perform these functions.
- GBA cartridge slot. Time to move on... (to re-buying your games through the VC)
- Logo looks too religious =)

I can see Nintendo doing that or something like that

if I wasnt lazy and knew how to draw up slick pictures to show what im talking about, I would post my idea for what I want in the next Nintendo handheld

my big problem with this design is you can only play games the normal way if it is in vert mode, also, no need for GBA in it anymore.

laserbeam

Banned
Shogmaster said:
That's pretty cool idea. I wonder if there is enough space for a decent sensor.

As for the cover, I thought about it alot beforehand, but I decided against it because of the mechanical complexity and since people are OK with PSP and iPhone, they could deal with buying accessories to protect something like this.

in place of the GBA slot area could probably put a decent enough motion sensing system in. cant imagine the wiimotes motion chip is very large.

Shogmaster said:
In it's widescreen mode, the multi-touch digitizer is suppose to be the only star of the show. You know, Nintendo quirk and all. ;)
I dunno. That'd be like wiimote buttons ceasing to function if you're not using it for NES games.
Shogmaster said:
But that would mean that the Nintendo portable is almost as powerful as the Nintendo console.
Which from their point of view, could mean more shared development resources and assets. :)

Taz8080

Banned
Wow kudos man, if yo dont mind I went ahead and posted it on my site for people to see, I thnk you need to TM that bad boy in case Nintendo gets wind of it and scoops it out from under you.

Next design a handheld for MS and you could be a millionaire!!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
That looks awesome.

It shouldn't be called the TS, though, as much as that name does makes sense. Saying "Nintendo TS" sounds too much like "Nintendo DS" and they'd want it to be different enough to be noticed in coversations and to avoid purchasing errors by unknowing parents and the like.

The twist idea is pretty cool. If yours looks this good, Nintendo's better be awesome.

Deku

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
I think you people are a little paranoid about the screen getting scratched. Go play with an iPhone.

i dont think apple cares. They had similar issues with ipod nanos scratching and was forced to pack in an ipod pouch at a later date.

Tobor

Deku said:
i dont think apple cares. They had similar issues with ipod nanos scratching and was forced to pack in an ipod pouch at a later date.

The iphone screen is really that good. A friend of mine has one and has kept it in his pocket for a month with no case. Not a scratch on it. The iPod scratches if you look at it funny. Apple really has solved the glass scratching problem.

Actually it would be nice if you made it so the the screen could slide upwards so that the d-pad and buttons could be used in widescreen mode, twist sideways to be in DS mode and lay flush to be in TS mode.

That way everyone gets what they want. A DS, a TS and a PSP :D

Shogmaster said:
But that would mean that the Nintendo portable is almost as powerful as the Nintendo console. :lol

perfect!

I'm just curious what solution would be had for games that compensate for the gap between screens. I believe Contra is one of them.

Great design, Shog.

fernoca

Really slick and follows the current Appele/iPod/iPhone look too. :)

Though what worries me is the screen....is too exposed..at the moment is something more for adults, but Nintendo also makes things for kids in mind..

You should also make it so that the mic is either at the botton of the screen when in widescreen mode or next to the start power buttons so that it is on the bottom of the screen when in DS mode.

Taz8080

Banned
Im surprised you ugys are so worried about the screen being exposed, PSP is exposed nad so are Sidekicks?

That is what cases are for guys.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Awesome design, I wish Nintendo would copy it but they likely will try a new market yet again, not sure what's left though.

is there a way to have it covered yet still have DS BC? you could always do it like a tablet PC where you can spin it, but that would take away the buttons in vert mode.

4yu0cbn.jpg

Well, thanks for all the comments guys. Already some good ideas thrown about. Some I don't think anything can really be done about without making this an iPhone level cost (twisting screen cover), but I think it gives me enough to to consider with version 2.0 later on. :)

laserbeam said:
in place of the GBA slot area could probably put a decent enough motion sensing system in. cant imagine the wiimotes motion chip is very large.

An accelerometer IC is incredibly small, probably about a half square inch by 2 mm tall (did I just mix unit standards? yep).

They can probably be manufactured even smaller, I don't know.

Flo_Evans

I think you did a good job on it, but personally I wouldn't care too much if they dropped DS backwards compatibility in favor of really pushing the design of the thing forward.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Shogmaster said:
Well, thanks for all the comments guys. Already some good ideas thrown about. Some I don't think anything can really be done about without making this an iPhone level cost (twisting screen cover), but I think it gives me enough to to consider with version 2.0 later on. :)
And by later on, you mean 6 months later, right? Are you sure you don't work for Nintendo? :lol

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
January 08, no. The screen is also very exposed. Delay it a couple of years and bump up the RAM, and I like it!

Shogmaster said:

one thing you should do is make it more rounded at the ends and not as much like a box.

Bboy AJ said:
And by later on, you mean 6 months later, right? Are you sure you don't work for Nintendo? :lol
I thought it was already well known that I'm a Microsoft viral marketeer assigned to evangelize the Tablet PC platform at every opportunity at various messageboards? Need proof? I did that TS design on my Toshiba R25 Tablet PC!! :D
:( I wish I actually would get payed for something like that. I would be a millionaire by now LOLZ

ZeoVGM

Banned
That seriously might be the best fake render of a portable I've ever seen.

But a couple small things:

a) There should be two, not three speakers when it's shut.

b) There should also be two speakers below the d-pad/buttons when you flip it up. But perhaps when you do that, the system would automatically move audio only to those and ignore the other speakers. And vise versa.

c) Needs a stylus/stylus slot. Finger-only may work for something like the iPhone but it wouldn't work with gaming. You need a stylus. Could you imagine playing Canvas Curse or something like that with your finger? Annoying.

d) No more GBA slot, time to ditch that. Nintendo probably will drop it with their next system.

I guess your design means that only old DS games would use the d-pad/buttons and that all new games would be stylus/touch screen only? Not sure how well that'd work, to be honest. I think part of the DS' awesomeness is the fact that you can have both traditional and touch screen games.

But overall, that's EXACTLY where I want to see Nintendo go with the follow up to DS.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Actually it would be nice if you made it so the the screen could slide upwards so that the d-pad and buttons could be used in widescreen mode, twist sideways to be in DS mode and lay flush to be in TS mode.

That way everyone gets what they want. A DS, a TS and a PSP :D
BlackNMild2k1 said:
You should also make it so that the mic is either at the botton of the screen when in widescreen mode or next to the start power buttons so that it is on the bottom of the screen when in DS mode.
Nintendo_TS2-5.jpg

thats the best I can do with my non existant PS skillz

jman2050

I came in here expecting a thread of LOLs, gifs, and whatnot and expected to laugh with everyone. I came away... pretty impressed. This isn't a bad design at all.

Of course, it's Nintendo, so they'll probably follow up the DS with something a bit more 'out there' to differentiate it from the DS, but if Nintendo DOES go the simple evolution route, I imagine this design working pretty well.

CO_Andy said:
How bout designing the DS Micro before the next DS?

it wont work in the same way it worked for the GBA, you cant make the screen sizes smaller and expect touch screen games to be the same.

It's like DrGAKMAN with pictures instead of words.

/snarky

It's actually a pretty cool idea. It would put them in straight competition with the PSP and at the same time. As for being able to use buttons in widescreen gaming, maybe they can do something where the face buttons slide out like on some of the cell phones out there today.

It should come standard with a big padded case and a wrist strap.

PkunkFury

this is a really sweet idea. It hides the buttons for games that don't need them, and kills the screen gap for games that do. I can't see nintendo using it, though. I bet the next DS will be an electronic book, with no buttons

Squeak

This is way underpowered for a successor to the DS.
It would really work as a redesign of the existing machine maybe with some extra heavily extended firmware, like a media player, browser and e-book reader to use the larger screen and larger touch area.
The design of the current DS, though not as fragile as the PSP doesn't lent itself to flipping open at a crowded bus stop or station. The hinge is simply to fragile and it sticks too far out from the hands.
This design would be smaller and much sturdier. A set of screen protectors should come as standard though.

I just saw this really hilarious Wii advert. Channel 4, after Big Brother, 9:30pm.

This man come home after work, to hear, what appears to sound like, orgasms. 2 people having sex. He goes into the bedroom to find his daughter and son/boyfriend-of-daughter, playing WiiTennis. Then when he leaves the two youngsters have a sigh of relief.

Excellent.

Zynx

Given Nintendo's recent track record of putting out things virtually nobody expects (DS, Wii, Balance Board), I doubt it'll do something we can predict. It seems to even avoid technologies that can push its goal if someone else has already put it in action (e.g. Eyetoy-like).

(Plus, although I do think it will be backward compatible with DS, it probably won't be with GBA - look at how the DS works with GBA, but not GB/C.)

RobertM

Shogmaster said:
That's pretty cool idea. I wonder if there is enough space for a decent sensor.

As for the cover, I thought about it alot beforehand, but I decided against it because of the mechanical complexity and since people are OK with PSP and iPhone, they could deal with buying accessories to protect something like this.
Gyroscope, and there is enough space for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom