• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendolife: Project CARS for Wii U cancelled

And to think they announced Project CARS 2 right after releasing Project CARS shows they have no interest in supporting the existing game(s). I don't even think they had excessive resources to work on Wii U version after they released it for other current consoles and PC. I wonder how many folks paid them to see this on Wii U. Will they give them an option to pick other console versions? What kind of incentive are they getting?
Your incentive was always a PC game, and you would share in the profits.

Shiggy

In a regular development/publishing scenario I don't think you could demand that they're keeping their promise, they can do whatever they want. But this was a crowd-funding project. They obviously need to keep their promise to those who funded the development. Someone who helped funding Project Cars because of the WiiU version and maybe even bought a WiiU because they knew PCars would arrive on it should obviously not sit there empty handed in the end. That would be absurd. They obviously need to refund those people, and it would probably be wise to put away the pitchforks because this is fresh news and maybe they're planning a refund as we speak. Or better yet, to get out of the bad light, they could send out a PS4/XB/PC with the game to them ;) Hehe not likely I know. But doing nothing at all, except saying sorry, is the worst thing they can do right now, it would put them in the same seat as Gearbox, and blaiming Nintendo for not launching new hardware doesn't help their situation one bit. They need to do it right, and do it now, not in 6 months, they need to do this right away before the bad mouthing gets out of hand and the wrong gaming press people who feed on others misery picks it up too.

Asking for a refund would be stupid. They get more than they invested very soon as the funding process was more like an investment where profits are shared with investors.

And to think they announced Project CARS 2 right after releasing Project CARS shows they have no interest in supporting the existing game(s).

Do you really think that those developers made the game for three and a half years, became financially successful with it, and stopped supporting it two months after release? Even if you were a slimy businessman, that is the direct opposite of what you'd do.

You're smarter than thinking of this.

krizzx

Agreed. Thing is, during the funding period for Project CARS, PS4 and XB1 weren't part of the equation. It was a Wii U, PC, PS3, and 360 game. In fact, crowdfunding for this title closed in Dec. 2012, before PS4 and XB1 were even announced to the public.

Actually, it wasn't even PS3/360 then. It was just PC and Wii U.

MUnited83

For you.
Wasn't this one of the first third-party games coming to Wii U? So sad that this has happened.

What it could've been:

63i6gSE.jpg

And to think they announced Project CARS 2 right after releasing Project CARS shows they have no interest in supporting the existing game(s). I don't even think they had excessive resources to work on Wii U version after they released it for other current consoles and PC. I wonder how many folks paid them to see this on Wii U. Will they give them an option to pick other console versions? What kind of incentive are they getting?

Note: Wii U version ran at 720p/sub-30fps. lol. Any decent developer would reduce the scale of the game in order to release it. I rather see what could've been than never seeing a single screenshot.
... That's not how it works. Like, at all. They didn't stop supporting Project Cars at all. It still getreasonsed, and it will still get new content. Work on sequels to sucessful games is something that happens almost immediately. You just don't know about it. You can bet your ass many sequels are being worked on right now with development States shortly after the release of the previous game. You just dont know about it because for obvious reasons, they only reveal it to the public when it makes sense comercially to do so. In Project Cars 2 case though, the investors is the public themselves, hence why its announced so early.

Nightbird

This narrative keeps popping up, yet never backed up. Urban legend?

Because it wasn't.
It was PC/PS3/WiiU/Xbox360 at first.

However, as we all know, the PS3 and 360 Versions got cancelled, while they said that the WiiU one would be still coming.

PtM

Banned
Because it wasn't.
It was PC/PS3/WiiU/Xbox360 at first.

However, as we all know, the PS3 and 360 Versions got cancelled, while they said that the WiiU one would be still coming.
Ian Bell said it was PC only at first, where 90% of the funding has come from.

Dilly

Banned
And to think they announced Project CARS 2 right after releasing Project CARS shows they have no interest in supporting the existing game(s).

For goodness sake, they're still working on patches and the roadmap for future updates is ON THE SITE.

Fox Mulder

The wiiu is a failure and not worth the support for the few sales it would get. It would make far more sense to release ps3/360 versions at this point before a wiiu one.

Even if they did bust their ass to release Pcars on the wiiu, people would still bitch about it being released later and $60 like with the EA games at launch and it would sell like shit anyways.

They should have just said this bluntly far earlier.

Top Bottom