• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Iwata: "Our approach to targeting children has been inadequate"

RaikuHebi

Banned
Not an expert Japanese reader, but if I'm not mistaken the first one just says "Approach to kidssssss!" and displays a naked Iwata...I think the meaning is obvious :)

The second says "The non-buying Nintendofan is the usual Nintendo fan"...

It seems that for some reason people in those forums think that Nintendo fans ("Ninton" or just "ton" 豚 like here) never buy shit ...m'kay

A reference to how hardcore audiences are dismissing the WiiU perhaps?

Eh, I don't mind them making more kid-friendly titles, so long as the polish, quality and content for older players is still there. Hopefully, they'll end up ramping up their variety though.

Regardless of it all, I think people are way too quick to wanna sack Iwata here. Last thing we need is to bring someone else in that'll either A) Turn Nintendo into mobile factory, or B) Go all try-hard appealing to western audiences with "edgy" shoot-shoot bang crap.

They need tv shows. its the only way I can see them getting any more kid oriented.

That's definitely one route.

Saw these gems on that jin115 board:

MNh8TaS.png

ZDGXpJ7.png

What do they say?

Oh god Iwata's face in the first one. Dead.

rpmurphy

Nintendo doesn't have Amazon's infrastructure. All Nintendo can offer is games while the Kindle Fire can offer a video/music store/App Store that uses Android.
Nintendo has the infrastructure and know-how for pretty much the main functions of a tablet: multimedia and a content delivery method. Certainly they have developers who have OS-level programming skills, not to mention application-level, to rework the Android base since they've been designing the OS for all of their systems. Amazon's other businesses really have nothing to do with the Kindle Fire's success.

The questions about a Nintendo tablet comes down to:
- Why are parents buying tablets for their kids?
- What are the primary requirements that parents are looking for when buying a tablet for their kids?
- What are the throwaway features of existing tablets that parents do not care for or would object to?
Starting with these, Nintendo should be able to figure out a strategy for a tablet product.

A reference to how hardcore audiences are dismissing the WiiU perhaps?

Nope, just a wrong translation (like I said, I started to be able to read some Japanese very recently). I edited my previous post because I think the translation would be something like this:

買わねえ豚は-> the non-buying Nintendo fan
ただの豚だ -> is just a pig

I think is just playing with the two meanings 豚 have in that forum. Being the most common the abbreviation of 任豚 ("Ninton", or how Nintendo fans are called in Japan) and just 豚 ("ton", "buta" or pig)

EDIT: It seems is a meme used everywhere in Japanese forums. I think it comes from Porco Rosso's quote: "A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig". lol, would be nice to hear a confirmation about the meaning and origins of that meme from someone more "versed" on Japanese forums :)

I don't see how he stops the bleeding. The phones aren't going away. The kids have them, and they have cheap games they think are good enough.

How does Nintendo compete with that? Marketing isn't going to fix this. It's a fundamental shift in consumer habits.

They need to show why their solution is better than the other options. The Nest thermostat isn't the first or only programmable or internet connected thermostat on the market. But they're charging top dollar and doing really well.

Nintendo needs to show kids and their parents as well as other gamers why the system is for them. Marketing is key to this.

To me, their marketing goes like this:

Kids
  • Easy, show them games and remind them every time the games are available only on Nintendo
  • Advertise this message where the kids are

Parents
  • Tell parents their kids want to play games and they want to play the best games, only on Nintendo
  • Educate parents that they can join in with their kids, show how gaming brings the family together
  • Educate parents that this console allows them to control all aspects of the system including online interaction, enforce game ratings and track usage of each child. Fundamentally parents want to be good ones, this feeds to that. Also, as far as I know, only Wii and Wii U have such strong parental controls
  • Slip in some messaging that just because it's family friendly doesn't mean it doesn't grow with you as a gamer, adults will find content they like to (Ghosts, ACIV, Splinter Cell or what ever else)

Lastly, core gamers and this is where they're going to struggle no matter what. Their online and communication capabilities are just too weak, but maybe Nintendo can use the rest of this gen to improve the situation. Xbox wasn't amazing on day one either.

Core Gamers
  • Showcase without a hint of "this thing is primarily for families"
  • Showcase what online capabilities exist and that they are free
  • Showcase why Wii U is better than the other options because it plays all of those old Nintendo titles you love and the new ones (this of course assumes they fix VC and very quickly) and for less

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
On his forehead it says '妊娠' aka 'pregnancy.'
And yeah he's saying 'our approach to kidsssss' while the young'un runs for it.

妊娠 is a mistaken character conversion of にんしん=任信(short for 任天堂信者). They're pronounced the same and it stuck because its kind of funny.

So, no, that character isn't supposed to be Iwata. It's supposed to be a Nintendo fanboy.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Today's children love Angry Birds and Skylanders and Minecraft way more than they do Nintendo, which is a problem for Nintendo's IP. A lot of Nintendo's games, while being child friendly and popular with children who try them, are edging more towards being aimed at young adults who played Nintendo games as children, not children themselves.

So yeah, Nintendo probably should target children more, regardless if that means that people won't necessarily get to play Dark Souls Zelda or Mature Retro Game or whatever they think will solve Nintendo's problems.

came here to post this. Perfect answer

MGrant

You know, when it comes to Western advertising, the children explaining the Wii U to their parents in that commercial this past holiday was a step in the right direction. I think they're starting to understand the message they need to send to parents: the joy of seeing your kids play games you know they'll love and don't have to worry about content-wise.

I think they should go a step further and make a really minimalist ad-campaign consisting of real footage of families playing games together. Show brothers playing Mario together, show sisters playing Pokemon together, show mom and dad playing Wii Bowling with them and having fun. Real people with real reactions having real fun.

Slather that campaign all over the airwaves during family tv time. I'm talking Modern Family, during Parks and Rec, during Dancing with the Stars.

royalan

You know, when it comes to Western advertising, the children explaining the Wii U to their parents in that commercial this past holiday was a step in the right direction. I think they're starting to understand the message they need to send to parents: the joy of seeing your kids play games you know they'll love and don't have to worry about content-wise.

I think they should go a step further and make a really minimalist ad-campaign consisting of real footage of families playing games together. Show brothers playing Mario together, show sisters playing Pokemon together, show mom and dad playing Wii Bowling with them and having fun. Real people with real reactions having real fun.

Slather that campaign all over the airwaves during family tv time. I'm talking Modern Family, during Parks and Rec, during Dancing with the Stars.

Nope.

This is addressing a non-existent problem. Kids weren't stupid in our day and they aren't stupid now; parents don't need to wonder about what games their kids will love. They know because their kids are telling them. They're spelling it out, and the letters coming out of their mouths don''t form "Wii U."

They form:

Minecraft!

Xbox!

PS4!

Call of Duty!

The only parent that your strategy caters to is the "parent who doesn't listen to their kid and instead wastes hundreds of dollars on consoles their kids have made clear they don't want." And that audience has never really existed. Not in any significant number that will benefit Nintendo, anyway.

Nintendo's ads this year highlighted the very problem that will doom them: insisting that the industry should be one way when all logic and reason is screaming that it's really another way.

They have to be humble and recognize they are not in a bubble. With indies, casual mobile games, social networks and the internet it is a fast paced market. They need to have a team focus on trends, big hits and learn a bit from those and why not improve from those. That is why I say they have to be humble. You don´t have to be always the innovator to have success.

So why is this relevant? I mean kids are growing with all those things I mentioned at the start, that is why they need to pay closer attention to the trends.

Some of this are crazy ideas
Minecraft, why not have a special version with Nintendo lore.
CoD: they need to have a competitive FPS in the system. Nintendo needs its Halo (Basically the CoD/Pokemon diagram of intended vs actual target)
Counter Strike: would be cool to get it in the system and add some Nintendo themed maps. Although not sure this is what kids play lol.
For the handheld they need to release more smaller sized games or another pricing model.

This is a poor mindset, in my opinion. I don't believe that mobile/tablet is taking away from Nintendo's audience and here is why:

The Wii U is doing horribly because of mistakes on the part of Nintendo - not because it's losing marketshare to mobile. As a matter of fact, if you look at the trend of sales of Nintendo home consoles excluding the Wii - the Wii U's sales are to be expected.

62 mil for NES

49 mil for SNES

32.9 mil for N64

22 mil for Gamecube

100 mil for Wii

(I'm guessing) 18 mil for Wii U...

There's no reason why the Wii should've sold 100 mil consoles. All logic pointed to it selling sub 20 mil and yet it is a stand out. The Wii U, however is line with the decline of sales that Nintendo home consoles have had since the NES. I don't think many would argue that the SNES, N64, or Gamecube had marketshare stolen from them by the growing mobile market at the time.
No they lost marketshare then for the same reason as now. They in essence don't know what the market wants. This is why the Wii was such a success. Right product for the right time. Most of the time wrong product.

They've had marketshare siphoned from them by Sony, but people overstate by how much. Consoles grew by tens of millions of units from the prior generation. This is because Sony saw a market that wasn't be serviced properly in gaming and met their needs. This is how MS and Nintendo in turn pulled users from Sony after the PS2.

Nope.

This is addressing a non-existent problem. Kids weren't stupid in our day and they aren't stupid now; parents don't need to wonder about what games their kids will love. They know because their kids are telling them. They're spelling it out, and the letters coming out of their mouths don''t form "Wii U."

They form:

Minecraft!

Xbox!

PS4!

Call of Duty!

The only parent that your strategy caters to is the "parent who doesn't listen to their kid and instead wastes hundreds of dollars on consoles their kids have made clear they don't want." And that audience has never really existed. Not in any significant number that will benefit Nintendo, anyway.

Nintendo's ads this year highlighted the very problem that will doom them: insisting that the industry should be one way when all logic and reason is screaming that it's really another way.

Yep marketing to parents for kids is going to hit the smallest part of their market, if kids dont want it they will be 100% up front about it and if theirs nothing in it for the parents then thats some useless marketing.

I see those adds as basically the same as nintendo directs, preaching to the choir.

Nocturno999

It's very different designing games for kids than targeting the current children audience.

They are not as delusional as some people think.

Late to the party I know, but this: 子どもたちへのアプローチが十分ではなかった means: Our approach to children was not sufficient.

As in, they want appeal MORE to children.

source: Japanese is my first language. Sorry for being late, I'm at work now :)

I think they should be pretty happy the 3ds is still doing well. It's not that their target audience and marketing toward kids hasn't been good, it's just ios has taken over. It is what it is. That's not Nintendo's fault.

So many kids now talk about Minecraft and Angry Birds. At least Pokemon is still popular.

ant1532

Banned
Japanese kids play a lot of mobile-social stuff. Western kids play Minecraft and Angry Birds and mobile stuff. These are kids growing up recognizing Mario more from merchandise than from his games, or more as "just another gaming character" than as the king of games. I think Nintendo has absolutely lost some of their younger market. Moreover, they learn to purchase games very young, and because the costs are so low they learn that they should be able to expect their parents to buy them the game when they want. The same kid asking for a $30 game would get rebuffed. This reinforces a culture where the kids grow up thinking of gaming differently.

Many people will respond with "LOL BUT NINTENDO MAKES TONS OF KIDS STUFF???? TARGET ME NOT THEM FOOLS", but I think this is a Big Deal from Nintendo's perspective.
Nfc pokemon incoming.

Into

Nobody should argue that Mario or Pokemon are somehow childish games because of their difficulty or mechanics, these games require as much skill as any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fifa game. Under the hood, there is nothing "kiddy" about Nintendo games.

But there is absolutely no doubt that most Nintendo games have astheticts that are meant to appeal to children, Its not a "well thats like, your opinion!", universally their characters have soft features, simple design and the characters and the worlds they inhabit are colorful. Nintendo games arent "kiddy" under the hood, but the paintjob absolutely is.

I cannot think of another company that creates hardware and software that tries harder than Nintendo to appeal to children. The few expections to the rule (mainly Metroid) are just that, exceptions to the rule.

Personally i dont mind the childish asthetics, i dont want realistic Mario or anything, but i hope they dont dumb the games "under the hood", what they did with Skyward Sword was a travesty, flodded the game with endless tutorials and helper character that ruined the game for me.

hongcha

Late to the party I know, but this: 子どもたちへのアプローチが十分ではなかった means: Our approach to children was not sufficient.

As in, they want appeal MORE to children.

source: Japanese is my first language. Sorry for being late, I'm at work now :)

Indeed, there is no "targeting" in the Japanese sentence.

Didn't Yamauchi want Nintendo to develop an anime part of business for Nintendo IPs during the Gamecube era?

This would have fixed this problem and built a good legacy for keeping long dead IPs alive and to gauge interest for upcoming releases.

Hermii

Nobody should argue that Mario or Pokemon are somehow childish games because of their difficulty or mechanics, these games require as much skill as any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fifa game. Under the hood, there is nothing "kiddy" about Nintendo games.

But there is absolutely no doubt that most Nintendo games have astheticts that are meant to appeal to children, Its not a "well thats like, your opinion!", universally their characters have soft features, simple design and the characters and the worlds they inhabit are colorful. Nintendo games arent "kiddy" under the hood, but the paintjob absolutely is.

I cannot think of another company that creates hardware and software that tries harder than Nintendo to appeal to children. The few expections to the rule (mainly Metroid) are just that, exceptions to the rule.

Personally i dont mind the childish asthetics, i dont want realistic Mario or anything, but i hope they dont dumb the games "under the hood", what they did with Skyward Sword was a travesty, flodded the game with endless tutorials and helper character that ruined the game for me.

I think there is a misconseption that games for kids needs to have lover difficulties. When I was a kid most of the games were harder than todays games made for adults.

Chaos17

- Why are parents buying tablets for their kids?
- What are the primary requirements that parents are looking for when buying a tablet for their kids?
- What are the throwaway features of existing tablets that parents do not care for or would object to?
Simple :
1. lack of knowlegde.
2. having a mobile became a common thing, who didn't saw a kid of 7 years of with a mobile ?

So that's not Nintendo main fault if "whales"/commoners don't know about their games. It's because these people don't bother at all to know a thing about video games.

Just take a look at this, it's from Forbes :
EEDAR-Deconstructing-InfoGraphic-e1377708226986.png

So if you want people know you then you've to go to them otherwise they will not bother to do something else outside their confort zone.

Iwata is absolutely right about this.

In late 2011 when the 3DS struggled out of the gate - Nintendo went into panic mode and started green lighting games that would target a mid to higher-skilled audience because they were afraid their casual audience was gone. Rather than trying to do things differently from the tablet market, they ended up stepping into a red ocean where Microsoft was paying off developers aggressively to try and kill their closest competitors.

The failure of the Wii U gives Nintendo tremendous opportunity. I'm hoping that rather than focus on pointless things advocated by a minority - like better graphics or competitive online multiplayer or region-specific shoot bang games with Hollywood voices, they make the kinds of games that will engage young children and captivate their imaginations - and they are damn good at that and should not fear competing in that market at all.

One idea I've been playing with is a "creation tablet" - a 7-inch HD tablet (w/ controls) filled with a variety of Nintendo F2P content and the ability to buy premium content (via eShop) and VC - but with well-designed targeted apps that help young children create their own games and share it with their parents. Think of it as a built-in version of Mario Paint - but one that includes basic programming, animation, etc. and the ability to collaborate with other "creation tablet" owners on simple game projects.

Parents are crazy to help their children get a head start in STEM, and computer science is a big deal now - so if Nintendo rides that trend - I see amazing things happening for them - three kids in a family could get together and make a great game to play with their parents - and then publish it for free on eShop Creations or something to share it with their family members. It's the kind of device that everyone would want to own - and if Nintendo plays its cards right - they can have sufficient amounts of apps in it to make it very attractive to parents buying an iPad Mini Retina for their kids.

I know this doesn't bode well for the future of places like Monolith Soft or the relationship with Platinum Games - but it's time Nintendo stop trying to be everything to everyone and kill it in the market they know best - young children and their parents. Monolith Soft can make games for the tablet - and they will still probably keep selling the 250-500k units at a much lower cost, and won't weigh down Nintendo's finances.

If they keep them around, Platinum can start making games for young children that actually sell rather than trying to get a fickle AAA audience that buys games purely on brand recognition and requires tremendous development effort with little payoff IMHO.

With the Wii U they should just phase it out over the next two years before launching "Nintendo Home" - a device that has between 500gigaflops - or less - whatever the lowest base tech is for tablets at the time.

Instead of releasing a novel controller - they just give it a regular controller and make it compatible with the "creation tablet" as another controller - the Home device can have an eShop that gives you access to the back catalogue of GC, Wii, Wii U titles, etc - and they can release new content on it at both F2P and Premium prices. You can play premium content designed for the system, your eShop Creations games, or use it for other media. The cost should be under $100 so that families will buy it on an impulse. It should not come with anything but the box, HDMI, and power supply. Nintendo can keep making games for this device - but shy away from $20-30 million dollar budgets that make AAA very unattractive.

This is a Nintendo I'd be super excited about.

Man, are you really serious about all of this? REALLY?

Nintendo was already very child/family driven before this statement. Their games have aesthetics very appealing to this audience and Nintendo is viewed as a "kiddy company" in the general gaming world eyes, both for the costumers and the developers. It's also a key reason for why Nintendo lost market share ever since the SNES/Genesis generation, a breach that Sega managed to use to antagonize Nintendo and persuade their former NES base to buy the Genesis. Remember the notorious "Genesis does what Nintendon't"? This was the start of Nintendo's market share loosing. Sony went even further, aware of how this "kiddy image" was negative for Nintendo and adopted the same strategy to take more of Nintendo's market.

NoA tried to damage control this image by allowing second-parties to make games toward the Teen/Mature audience, hence the N64 managed to keep the SNES audience in the US. After Iwata took the office, he decided to end those productions and Microsoft successfully managed to grab the N64's teen/mature audience.

Persisting this kiddy approach, given Nintendo's history, isn't a good idea at all, it'll only manage to shrink Nintendo's market even more and repel more gamers from buying it.

ramparter

Banned
Nintendo since DS and Wii has been targeting non gamers, old people, moms, dads, grandpa and grandmas. Maybe that's what his quote is all about. They need to focus more on children (gamers) and not seniors who tried out the Wii, bought one but have zero interest to invest on a new console.

wildfire

Banned
This actually pleases me to hear this in some ways, and worries me in others. I'm glad their resolve on appealing to children is as strong as ever. It's a conundrum that needs to be cracked. However, marketing to children is not their sole problem I don't think.

As regards to the OP question. Yes, I do think they could be doing more. I know this because whenever my nephews (6 and 7) come around to my house, they try the Wii U, and the 3DS, and I deliberately put them on the best stuff, which incidentally ends up being stuff that's appropriate for them. So Pokemon on the 3DS, and NintendoLand (man, my nephew is perfectly happy just playing Mario Chase with me all afternoon), Super Mario 3D World etc on the Wii U. I never see them as content and immersed in a game as when they come over to my place. It works every time. (That, and Minecraft on the PS3. It's like catnip to them.. xD)

This made me realize that perhaps the problem isn't finding more ways to appeal to them directly, but rather, how to get those players onto the system in the first place? They love playing it when they're around, but when they leave, they seem to forget all about it until they come back. In todays market, a lot of parents buy the console they want, primarily. It's a hefty purchase, and it's only natural that they want something in it for themselves, even if it's meant to be for their kids. Then they let their kids play with it as well, both parties are happy. Aggressive marketing influences the kid to want that same product for the same reasons the parent wants it. There's a lot more *good* all encompassing I.Ps out now for the other consoles. Sony has stuff like Ratchet, Jak. Lego <franchise> is a multiplatform I.P, and skylanders. So there's the option and depth on other consoles now. That depth in variety used to be Nintendos key strength, and I feel it's what they're now missing, and it's why I'm partly worried hearing this translation.

If I was to give a rough answer, you *have* to have games that appeal to everyone on that system to start with. If that means beefing it up so that it can compete technically, and gaining more 3rd party support as a result, then so be it. Nothing is stopping a company from continuing to make games in their own unique style just because the system can run UE4 flawlessly. Nintendo is always going to do its own thing, it doesn't mean they have to restrict other companies from doing *their* own thing on your system. Look back at their past systems. They've always had the most success when the library and variety of games have been at its most diverse. It's just unfortunate now that in order for those 3rd parties to get involved with a system, they have to be able to make the very same game that they make on the other systems (as opposed to something original, or dare I even say it, exclusive). It's been this way for a long time now and it's nothing new.

So I guess then the answer for me is not just to target children. That would be a mistake, and it would be continuing down the same mistake they've aligned themselves to for a while now. They need to target everyone.gif

(Apologies in advance, I'm not really that good at making coherent long winded thoughts, so there's a good chance I didn't get my opinion across very well).

While the analysis is on point you must realize that this is exactly what Nintendo claimed they were trying to do with the Wii U. So we should move the discussion on to where they misfired and since they said they are sticking with the Wii U what needs to be done to generate interest with their current hardware.

In the past I have made a lot of suggestions on their software development so I won't bother doing that here because software development takes time and they need more immediate (within 8 months) results.

Since a lot of children are playing on tablets Nintendo has to be very smart in ensuring those games correctly tell children where bigger and better games can be found and they need to be able to ensure they can be discovered in the major app marketplaces because it can be tough.

For adults they need to think hard about what type of adult they want to reach out to and who would be easier to convince to buy a Nintendo console.

With the lower specs of the Wii U Nintendo has already hurt their chances with those who would prefer Sony or even MS at $500 to the Wii U's $300.

But Nintendo could win gamers over who prefer the online environment of MS and Sony because their online infrastructure isn't tied to their console hardware. Their online gaming is free. Nintendo has to demonstrate why their online gaming is atleast better than Microsoft's and buy up 3rd party games that are only about online play like Titanfall (preferably exclusive).

For adults who aren't salivating over new consoles like early adopters but still have a general interest Nintendo needs to be communicating better their price advantage and game selection since they won't be too picky but they need to be treated as valuable and wanted.

Maxrunner

Core gamers are interested in consoles and Nintendo is probably a few years off from revealing their next one.

Core gamers are interested in games....core games, Nintendo is losing all third party support for these, and they don't have a single western studio besides Retro that does these type of games. Im quite surprised that no one asked this.....i mean they need new Retro and Rare type of studios....they think that having specific deals here and there will solve the issue.....

Replicant

That thread title. Iwata's desire to approach children. The non-buying Nintendo fans being called as "Pigs". All the usual Wii jokes.

This thread has truly deliver on all fronts.

Sandfox

Core gamers are interested in games....core games, Nintendo is losing all third party support for these, and they don't have a single western studio besides Retro that does these type of games. Im quite surprised that no one asked this.....i mean they need new Retro and Rare type of studios....they think that having specific deals here and there will solve the issue.....

If they're going to make moves like that I would expect them to be done over the next few years while they design/develop their next console and Iwata didn't want to tell us what they are spending their money on(though he did mention fixing their weaknesses).

AzaK

I'm just imagining this referring to the "Gamer Dudes" and laughing on the inside

Haha. No, I mean the gamer who knows about gaming, developers, gameplay mechanics and wants 'more' from their games.. As opposed to those who don't care about tech, or gameplay or how their games are sold to them, they just want to tap to kill some time. When most people start out in something they are unsophisticated until they really get into it.

Question: Do you agree with Iwata that Nintendo could do more for the children's market?
-If yes, share an idea of what they could do.

I do think so. Like others (such as Tiktaalik), I suggest the creation of a new portable system. Here's what I came up with:

Nintendo could release, as a third pillar, a dirt cheap portable system. Under 50$ if possible (it would still have to be sold for a small profit).

Hardware:

• Size: somewhere between the original GBA and GBA micro. In any case, small enough to fit in a pocket.
  • Colorful and sturdy casing (many color schemes available).
  • Touch screen. Relatively big and scratch resistant.
  • D-pad, two face buttons ('red' and 'green') and 'menu' button (no analog stick nor shoulder buttons).
  • Some motion sensing capabilities would be neat if that's not too costly.
  • Cheap speakers and volume control.
  • CPU, RAM, GPU etc: the best they could do for the price. Of course, this would be a weak machine only capable of 2D.
  • SD card slot.
  • ON / OFF button, battery, and all the other necessary little things I might have forgotten.
  • No WiFi, no camera etc.

Software:

• All the games would be free and could be downloaded from Nintendo's website.
  • The games would just have to be put on an SD card to be played on the system. Parents are already used to this, remember the R4!
  • There would be lots of very simple minigames such as those found on NSMB DS or WarioWare. Some longer, more complex games might also be possible.
  • Third parties and indie games would be welcome. Games could be submitted to Nintendo. Only those deemed good enough by Nintendo would be available on the official site.
  • Nintendo games would of course feature Mario, Link, Pokemons etc.
  • Operating system: not much to speak of. When you turn the system on, the list of games appears. *shrug*

Purpose:

• This system would be cheap enough that lots of kids would get one even if they already have a smartphone or tablet.
  • Its low price and its lack of network connection and camera would make it a harmless toy that parents would feel totally safe to let in the hands of their children.
  • Its simplicity would make it accessible to anyone, young or old, just like the NES and Game Boy were.
  • By playing with this toy, kids would familiarize themselves with Nintendo characters, buttons and d-pad, and Nintendo-quality gameplay. Many of them might later want to graduate to the "true" gaming systems such as the 3DS and Wii U's successors.

Marketing:

• Nintendo could pretend this system is manufactured by WarioWare, Inc. (the fictional company founded and managed by Wario). YEAR OF WARIO!

royalan

I do think so. Like others (such as Tiktaalik), I suggest the creation of a new portable system. Here's what I came up with:

Nintendo could release, as a third pillar, a dirt cheap portable system. Under 50$ if possible (it would still have to be sold for a small profit).

Hardware:

• Size: somewhere between the original GBA and GBA micro. In any case, small enough to fit in a pocket.
  • Colorful and sturdy casing (many color schemes available).
  • Touch screen. Relatively big and scratch resistant.
  • D-pad, two face buttons ('red' and 'green') and 'menu' button (no analog stick nor shoulder buttons).
  • Some motion sensing capabilities would be neat if that's not too costly.
  • Cheap speakers and volume control.
  • CPU, RAM, GPU etc: the best they could do for the price. Of course, this would be a weak machine only capable of 2D.
  • SD card slot.
  • ON / OFF button, battery, and all the other necessary little things I might have forgotten.
  • No WiFi, no camera etc.

Software:

• All the games would be free and could be downloaded from Nintendo's website.
  • The games would just have to be put on an SD card to be played on the system. Parents are already used to this, remember the R4!
  • There would be lots of very simple minigames such as those found on NSMB DS or WarioWare. Some longer, more complex games might also be possible.
  • Third parties and indie games would be welcome. Games could be submitted to Nintendo. Only those deemed good enough by Nintendo would be available on the official site.
  • Nintendo games would of course feature Mario, Link, Pokemons etc.
  • Operating system: not much to speak of. When you turn the system on, the list of games appears. *shrug*

Purpose:

• This system would be cheap enough that lots of kids would get one even if they already have a smartphone or tablet.
  • Its low price and its lack of network connection and camera would make it a harmless toy that parents would feel totally safe to let in the hands of their children.
  • Its simplicity would make it accessible to anyone, young or old, just like the NES and Game Boy were.
  • By playing with this toy, kids would familiarize themselves with Nintendo characters, buttons and d-pad, and Nintendo-quality gameplay. Many of them might later want to graduate to the "true" gaming systems such as the 3DS and Wii U's successors.

Marketing:

• Nintendo could pretend this system is manufactured by WarioWare, Inc. (the fictional company founded and managed by Wario). YEAR OF WARIO!

This idea falls into a lot of the obvious trappings that I'm seeing a lot of ideas on GAF falling into, and one in particular that Nintendo themselves has fallen into with the Wii U: Taking terrible ideas/hardware and thinking that just slapping on some Nintendo franchises will make it sell. Insular ideas that only appeal to Nintendo fans who would buy in anyway.

It's 2014 - who is going to purchase a cheaply-made secondary device to carry around that barely has enough power to push 2D graphics? Nobody. Not at any price.

We also need to accept that Nintendo's brand is quickly losing relevance to the very market you're saying this device would be targeted at. Slapping Nintendo's pantheon of stale mascots on this thing would only appeal to Nintendo's shrinking base. You're basically describing an even cheaper, less capable, less appealing DS.

Finally, nobody in the US cares about Wario. Especially not kids.

Danneee

With smart phones kids are lost to Nintendo forever. If they don't target an even younger audience or start making games for that platform that is.

Top Bottom