• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stock rose +5.48%, gaining 2.2 Billion in market value in one day.

K' Dash

It's been done:
7f5.gif

Also throw me in for the 'imagine when Pokémon is announced' crowd.

This is all Iwata's legacy, I'm curious about Kimishima´s plan for Nintendo.

If this trend continues Iwata will hit it out of the park 2 non consecutive gens.

pswii60

I don't see how MHXX was a surprise? I mean of course Switch was going to get MH. It's basically the successor to 3DS, even if Nintendo keeps pretending it isn't.

I knew I should've bought back in 2013 when it was like $11 a share...I even talked to my buddy about it who is a stock broker with Charles Shwabb, but decided against it upon hearing all the additional fees to trade on the Japanese stock market...damn.

evilalien

This has basically nothing to do with Monster Hunter and is more due to excellent Switch sales and Best Buy posting a surprise profit yesterday which it attributed to the Switch and related products. Target said the same last week as well.

2tBRH.png

Rise to heaven!

Their stock is still only about 50% above where they were in 2000. That is mind boggling to me as a finance guy. Now, their market cap aside, they have exponentially increased the latent value in their assets relative to that period with a return from 2000 to now that would not indicate such an increase in value. You see the market react to their console position with the Wii with an overbought spike, but it is the actual truth nowadays that their console business is less relevant to them than it was in 2000. As such, there are other growth venues for the company. They are literally diversifying in every direction with their brands.

I believed in the stock before the Switch success. No debt, cash on the balance sheet, opening tons of "revenue faucets". Never mind if Switch actually becomes a relevant device / ecosystem for the company.

This has basically nothing to do with Monster Hunter and is more due to excellent Switch sales and Best Buy posting a surprise profit yesterday which it attributed to the Switch and related products. Target said the same last week as well.

It's mostly Japanese trading which caused this massive jump, I don't really see why a story about the Switch propping up some US retailers would cause this much of a jump.

It's far more likely to be Monster Hunter related, as that's one of the franchises which really sends the message this will be getting traditional handheld support in addition to traditional console support. And investors like hearing that.

Maxim726X

Fucking Monster Hunter is a stock mover?

What a world. Imagine when the inevitable Pokemon announcement comes?

I should buy stock now.

Neoxon

This is all Iwata's legacy, I'm curious about Kimishima´s plan for Nintendo.

If this trend continues Iwata will hit it out of the park 2 non consecutive gens.
And with that I say this. Thank you, Iwata.

Oh, & thanks Capcom for drumming up more hype for the Switch in Japan. We shouldn't have doubted your support of the system. Just keep it going (& maybe convince the MvCI team that the Switch is worth a damn).

Sesha

Stockholders: "Please release Monster Hunter on Switch".

Capcom: "You're welcome." *mic drop*

Fucking Monster Hunter is a stock mover?

What a world. Imagine when the inevitable Pokemon announcement comes?

I should buy stock now.

MonHun is a yearly franchise with each release on 3DS selling between 1.5-4m units. It's the most successful third party franchise on 3DS, followed by Yokai Watch.

Stockholders were probably waiting for this.

Stockholders: "Please release Monster Hunter on Switch".

Capcom: "You're welcome." *mic drop*

MonHun is a yearly franchise with each release on 3DS selling between 1.5-4m units. It's the most successful third party franchise on 3DS, followed by Yokai Watch.

Stockholders were probably waiting for this.

I think stockholders see this as confidence from 3rd parties that the Switch will be a success. It is the start of major 3rd party announcements for the Switch and possibly the biggest Nintendo needed on the eastern front.

What's Capcom worth? Could Nintendo buy them with 2.2 billion?

I have no idea if that's how any of this works (I don't think it is) but according to google Capcom's market cap is a bit under 1.5 billion USD. So theoretically, maybe?

I just want to call the Switch a success, but GAF keeps telling me it's WAY too soon to tell. :(

After the first two weeks it was too soon to tell. As the news continues to get better every week/month though I think 3 months in it's time we can call it a success.

NolbertoS

I just want to call the Switch a success, but GAF keeps telling me it's WAY too soon to tell. :(

Even if Switch achieves Wii like success, GAF would still say its a gimmick. I'm starting to think GAF is the online Michael Pachter of gaming. Whatever we say is the opposite effect :eek:

I have no idea if that's how any of this works (I don't think it is) but according to google Capcom's market cap is a bit under 1.5 billion USD. So theoretically, maybe?
Yeah it's not that simple obviously, but if a single Capcom game can make Nintendo spike like this, it might be worth it in the end. Plenty of properties that are very Nintendo-friendly.

an announcement of a port of a MH game did this lol

not even a new game just a port

Same with Mario Kart 8, didn't seem to matter it is a port of a 3 year old game.

And this port was inevitable. They just had to wait til MH XX had been out for a couple months, so that people didn't not buy it because they wanted it for Switch instead.

mindatlarge

I was thinking of heavily investing in Nintendo right before the Wii U launch since their stock was so low, really kicking myself now.

Yeah it's not that simple obviously, but if a single Capcom game can make Nintendo spike like this, it might be worth it in the end. Plenty of properties that are very Nintendo-friendly.

It would be a great move for Nintendo but probably not the best for gamers. Nintendo doesn't typically acquire big studios anyway, so it's probably not something on their minds.

But whatever it takes to get a Sakurai led Megaman revival to be honest...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't see how MHXX was a surprise? I mean of course Switch was going to get MH. It's basically the successor to 3DS, even if Nintendo keeps pretending it isn't.

Everyone say its gonna be for PS4 though. Because "reasons"

It would be a great move for Nintendo but probably not the best for gamers. Nintendo doesn't typically acquire big studios anyway, so it's probably not something on their minds.

So many amazing Capcom IPs. I think it'd be great for gamers.

But if we're being​ real, no, it will never happen. A man can dream though!

Not to mention that a large portion of Capcom's games don't traditionally sell on Nintendo systems. And add to that the fact that most of Capcom's major studios are working on high-end AAA games like RE7, which would all have to be significantly ported-down to run on Switch. It's not a very good fit, technologically or content-wise, outside of MH, Mega Man, and a few others.

Wamb0wneD

Wait for Animal Crossing mobile and the Switch Holiday season sales....shit will be crazy.

I doubt that tbh, they will sell what they can produce but production will not meet demand in the slightest. Splatoon 2 and Monster Hunter would sell double the amounts of Switch if Nintendo could procude them that fast.

It will be out of stock in Japan for a long time and Nintendo has to compensate for that.

Not to mention that a large portion of Capcom's games don't traditionally sell on Nintendo systems. And add to that the fact that most of Capcom's major studios are working on high-end AAA games like RE7, which would all have to be significantly ported-down to run on Switch. It's not a very good fit, technologically or content-wise, outside of MH, Mega Man, and a few others.
Many others! Even DMC is a great fit. Resident Evil is the outlier, though, I agree. Street Fighter too. They're typical multiplatform releases.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo would be much better off working with Capcom exclusively for some of their IPs. Buying them would be a waste of money.

Top Bottom