• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stock rose +5.48%, gaining 2.2 Billion in market value in one day.

EVH

Yay! Switch users got no third party AAA support aside a MH port but we got they got 5% more in stock.

mas8705

Goes to show the power of Monster Hunter apparently... Probably more goes into it than that, but I don't recall anything else that was announced yesterday that was Nintendo related other than the MHXX Switch reveal.

Dragon Quest XI should be officially revealed at around 3am-4am EST (Saturday), so let's see how that affects Nintendo's stock. Although the markets will be closed for the weekend.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dragon Quest XI should be officially revealed at around 3am-4am EST (Saturday), so let's see how that affects Nintendo's stock. Although the markets will be closed for the weekend.

That was an incorrect tweet. The Switch/PS4 versions of DQX are being shown off (as well as more details on DQXI- but nothing mentioning the switch version)

The Hermit

While it is rising I still think it's a good time to buy.

The Wii peak is still the highest and with the theme park I suspect it will grow even more.

Doesn't surprise me too much, Nintendo is fairly volatile in terms of excitement, when they become a bit more stable, the stock should level out to something more consistent.

The switch being a hit bodes well for interest, but not sure where that'll peak.

Raven77

Money's so weird

Investors believe Nintendo's future looks good so they buy it and the price goes up. The "value" increase your seeing means essentially nothing outside of what the overall value of all outstanding shares is. It also can have some effects on how easily they can borrow money, how investors perceive the CEO is doing, etc. It also matters for corporate takeovers. What it doesn't mean is that Nintendo now has tons of free cash flow that they can use to invest in games, etc. The "increased value" is tied to the stock price, not their bank accounts.

If Disney decides they want to buy Nintendo, they can, because Nintendo is a publicly traded company. This means Disney can make an offer to buy the majority of the outstanding (publicly available for purchase) shares at a certain price. If Nintendo is trading at 10 dollars a share Disney could offer 13 dollars a share and it would have to be approved by major stake holders, etc. etc. If Nintendo is trading very high and much higher than it's current valuation (lots of ways to determine this, sometimes stock prices run high and are way over what the company is actually valued at) Disney would be less likely to try and buy it because they would be forced to pay a premium price.

nintendo-back-from-the-grave-iwata-coffin-shocked-13884007960.gif

EDIT: Somebody needs to edit Matrick's face to Phil Spencer's.

Damn. If only..

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Not to mention that a large portion of Capcom's games don't traditionally sell on Nintendo systems. And add to that the fact that most of Capcom's major studios are working on high-end AAA games like RE7, which would all have to be significantly ported-down to run on Switch. It's not a very good fit, technologically or content-wise, outside of MH, Mega Man, and a few others.
Afaik most of capcom big sellers have sold on Nintendo platforms, monster hunter, Megaman, resident evil, streetfighter, etc.

Capcom's never gonna only produce titles for a console that runs on a Tegra X1...

Why not? If the Switch is strong, I can see it. According to that other thread, they are struggling to employ enough people for HD game development. If they scale back their scope a bit, it could work out well for them. Of course, this supposes that the Switch hits like 50 million units sold-in.

OryoN

I bought a bunch of Nintendo stock when everyone here kept saying the Switch would be a failure.

Hahahahahahhahaa......thanks guys!

I bought a bunch back when it was under $15 (NTDOY) and sold all of it this pat July when it reached the Pokemon GO peak for a really nice profit. Then I bought some more this past fall when it was closer to $20-25, before the Switch was even announced. I'm loving life right now.

I'm just a bit nervous about when to sell it. Could it possibly surpass the level it did during the Wii era?

Same here! It wasn't that hard to see the appeal of the Switch, even from the very first trailer reveal. Even then, you could see a few things that pointed to a high likelihood of success: A sleek attractive device, a strong selling point(hybrid), seamless transition between modes, and a marketing tone mainly geared to young adults(people who actually spend money!).

Since then, those favorable points were reiterated, and complemented by more positive signs of potential success like: The Switch actually being very capable console( extremely powerful as a handheld!), Nvidia on board even with long-term software/tools support), full support for major middleware engines, decent pricing, and a nicely planned software lineup that avoids major droughts. At that point, it was hard to bet against that. We've seen time and time again that consumers take notice when a product hits so many high notes, so this wasn't a surprise.

As far as overall stock assessment, you still have to factor in Nintendo's venture into mobile games, and toys, and their pending Theme Park. It was almost inevitable that their stock would see a significant increase this year. I only wish I had more to invest! I still intent to buy more and encourage anyone who is on the fense. It's not too late! I expect it to continue to rise steadily to at least mid-40's with a major spike this holiday or the next, but it obviously won't be as enticing a buy as it were months ago.

In related news:

Best Buy shares(and Target, to some degree) boosted significantly by Nintendo Switch

Hopefully, this leads to Nintendo section getting more shelf space and exposure - once Switch's library grows - and not simply tucked away in corner(cough...Gamestop...cough).

As in they won't keep stock or they won't fix those issues?

Possibly both, very likely the former.

The issues you mentioned aren't really design flaws. The dock works perfectly fine when it's not damaged- I don't know how the manufacturing process works but I don't think its susceptibility to damage is a design flaw. I also have no idea what percentage of people really have issues with screen scratching and warped docks, it seems incredibly rare.

As for transferring saves that will likely be added sooner rather than later. It's way overdue IMO.

I rather like these positive Nintendo threads, always some people to collect for my ignore list!

Raven77, I don't think that Disney can just buy Nintendo, I believe that Japanese companies are pretty well protected against that kind of takeovers.

Top Bottom