• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Supplemental Computing Devices patent allowed by USPTO, rejection cleared*

Ummm. I am not sure on the joke here?
MVLacpt.png

LCGeek

formerly sane
Agreed. All these recent leaks, if true, should push them to show SOMETHING.

A lot aren't sadly. I'm still excited nintendo hasn'y been this quiet since the n64 and gc era. We had far more info with both Wiis at this point if they are launching in the next 9 months.

jerry5278

Neo Member
The supplemental computing device could simply be a detachable graphics card and CPU module for all we know. This makes the NX future proof as Nintendo can always bring out a more capable GPU/CPU as needed. Consumers can throw the old supplementary console away and purchase the latest model, similar to how PC's are upgraded.
That's a really good point. I didn't even think of that

jerry5278

Neo Member
A lot aren't sadly. I'm still excited nintendo hasn'y been this quiet since the n64 and gc era. We had far more info with both Wiis at this point if they are launching in the next 9 months.
Hopefully this will be a return to form for Nintendo. Would like to see them get back to being the dominant force they were in the NES and SNES eras.

Malus

The supplemental computing device could simply be a detachable graphics card and CPU module for all we know. This makes the NX future proof as Nintendo can always bring out a more capable GPU/CPU as needed. Consumers can throw the old supplementary console away and purchase the latest model, similar to how PC's are upgraded.

4463781+_58c76e1db2bb3f454b1e7e0bd50845a8.jpg

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo, can GAF claim prior art thanks to the 2 GameCubes duct taped together meme?

Ok, this one got me. And LOL at the (admitedly impossible) possibility, that this meme might be poetic justice for Kyoto.

ozfunghi

Basically NX will be an add-on for the Wii-U. It will be an SCD that will work over wifi.

10k told me. It's a lock.

Seriously though, as pissed as i was for him leading us on with his "sources" that were just internet rumors, i still think he didn't deserve to be banned, as he showed his info to the mods first. If they had any objections, they should have prevented him from posting (or at least weed out the BS sources).

Phamit

The NX would need a fast enough hardware interface such as Thunderbolt to use an external processing device or am I mixing something up?

I doubt Nintendo is going to use Thunderbolt, but if the nx has a mystery Interface on the back, it may be an indication that Nintendo is thinking about updating the NX later on

The NX would need a fast enough hardware interface such as Thunderbolt to use an external processing device or am I mixing something up?

I doubt Nintendo is going to use Thunderbolt, but if the nx has a mystery Interface on the back, it may be an indication that Nintendo is thinking about updating the NX later on

Maybe AMD's Dockport.

ika

The concept of daisy-chaining several SCDs is fascinating. I hope they do something with this patent.

AzaK

The concept of daisy-chaining several SCDs is fascinating. I hope they do something with this patent.

Yup, I think it's an awesome idea. They'd need to get the bus fast though to make real good use of it for higher end gaming. That's my main concern.

Basically NX will be an add-on for the Wii-U. It will be an SCD that will work over wifi.

10k told me. It's a lock.

Seriously though, as pissed as i was for him leading us on with his "sources" that were just internet rumors, i still think he didn't deserve to be banned, as he showed his info to the mods first. If they had any objections, they should have prevented him from posting (or at least weed out the BS sources).

He'll be fine.

I can't wait to see the SCD. It's more exciting than the console lol

Nirolak was very clear that he wasn't verifying 10k's information and that people should use their own judgment.

It's not our job to pre-emptively verify people leaking secret information about upcoming games, especially given how many of the people who do so are posting sketchy information combined from various sources that might be partially accurate and partially BS. In some cases someone on the staff will be in a position to verify something, and the person sharing it will want to be verified, and that staffer might do so. In other cases someone who's been sharing "insider" info will get shown to be full of crap and we'll ban them after the fact. We're not interested in taking the effort and risk of fully verifying the identity and sources of every person who decides to post random "leaks" here, even if most of those people wanted to verify with us, which mostly they don't.

bomblord1

Banned
What if the NX IS the controller and the supplemental computing device is the home console that can be swapped out and upgraded?

Like the controller works on its own but offloads processing to the home console wirelessly or through a direct connection

FZZ

Banned
Can I just say after the other NX rumor thread fiasco

That this fucking console really is killing GAF from the inside

I've been repeating it over and over joking around, but seriously the shit that it's making some posters do is ridiculous.

On topic: With that said this concept is cool, but I don't think it would be ready by launch if anything it's to future proof the console and might be implemented in later. Just my two cents.

Meesh

It's diabolically brilliant I say!! :)

Lebon14

Based on the rumors, I see this device as being the (almost) dummy screen controller that is used for remote play anywhere. The (almost) dummy device access internet to enhance its gaming capabilities; let it be by Nintendo's cloud computers or your console itself.

That's what I see from it.

EDIT

Oh wait those rumors were fake after all (LTTP here). Never mind then.

Probably not the first to say this, but if this applies to NX, maybe it simply stands for Nintendo Multiplied? Or Nintendo Exponential ...

I remember reading about add-on thunderbolt graphics cards years ago and thought it might be something a console maker could take advantage of, but this seems a little different with the cloud aspects. Did they ever really take off on the PC side? I haven't heard much about them since they were first news really.

Fredrik

On topic: With that said this concept is cool, but I don't think it would be ready by launch if anything it's to future proof the console and might be implemented in later. Just my two cents.
Sounds like a 32X scenario. No idea how well that worked saleswise to be honest but my gut reaction is that this is a bad idea. I think it's better to future-proof by having great hardware from day 1 and maybe not shy away from selling the console at a loss the first year or so.

I wonder what this means in light of the new PS4K/NEO news with Sony asking devs for a Base and a NEO version of the game.

How are they going to make sure devs use the power of the SCDs?

You could have 4 or 5 of this things connected to your NX.

ozfunghi

Nirolak was very clear that he wasn't verifying 10k's information and that people should use their own judgment.

It's not our job to pre-emptively verify people leaking secret information about upcoming games, especially given how many of the people who do so are posting sketchy information combined from various sources that might be partially accurate and partially BS. In some cases someone on the staff will be in a position to verify something, and the person sharing it will want to be verified, and that staffer might do so. In other cases someone who's been sharing "insider" info will get shown to be full of crap and we'll ban them after the fact. We're not interested in taking the effort and risk of fully verifying the identity and sources of every person who decides to post random "leaks" here, even if most of those people wanted to verify with us, which mostly they don't.

The way he describes "but I just wanted to establish I haven't been doing anything akin to bish checking" gives the impression that there was at least "some" form of checking. In which case, such a source (copy/pasting a public rumor tweet) would likely not be seen as a "valid source". I'm not saying it is your job, but people (at least me, and i don't think i was the only one) did think a minimum of credibility was to be creditted to his sources after, even if just a superficial, check.

Also, didn't Nirolak post that quite a bit after 10k's post? Anyway, i just hope at the very least he knew what could happen if he posted BS. I don't want to get into an argument with you guys, just giving my opinion and what impression i got from it.

Sounds like a 32X scenario. No idea how well that worked saleswise to be honest but my gut reaction is that this is a bad idea. I think it's better to future-proof by having great hardware from day 1 and maybe not shy away from selling the console at a loss the first year or so.

The supplemental computing device should not be anything like the 32X expansion hardware. Rather, the SCD is the rendering hardware itself that comes bundled with the base NX console on Day 1. Nintendo understands that GPU's become obsolete rather quickly (just look at the PS4's), so having a detachable CPU/GPU that can easily be upgraded without purchasing an entirely new console (like the PS4K) is a more consumer-friendly solution. Better yet, future SCD's should be able to handle emerging trends like VR.

Just like any PC, the NX can operate without the SCD by running on a built-in GPU that can display simple graphics like Intel's HD series. The built-in HD graphics should be used more for OS functionality though and not for playing games.

As for cloud computing capabilities, my guess is that people with more powerful SCD's can send rendered images and stream them to consoles that have less powerful SCD's. Images rendered by the SCD can also be streamed (or transmitted via wireless) to handheld devices and tablets that have NX software installed. This will make porting games like Nintendo Land possible on the NX and you won't need a Gamepad for that--just your smartphone.

These are speculations and should be treated with a grain of salt. :)

Dude, now that we know that the PS4K CPU is 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz, according to what you heard , how far behind is the NX ?.

Please use your >>>>>>>>>>> scale.

ozfunghi

Dude, now that we know that the PS4K CPU is 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz, according to what you heard , how far behind the is NX ?.

Please use your >>>>>>>>>>> scale.

I'm guessing still not unfavorably for NX. If PS4 went from 1.6 to 2.1 and it really is just a clock increase without added bells, that's about a 30% increase in speed.

In theory, Nintendo could release an XB1 level console for a low price, but sell an SCD with the same hardware guts for people who want double the processing power and above PS4 level graphics.

I'm guessing still not unfavorably for NX. If PS4 went from 1.6 to 2.1 and it really is just a clock increase without added bells, that's about a 30% increase in speed.

He said this

LCGeek said:
amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U

I dont know if this means PS4K is better than the NX CPU or if they are in the same ballpark.

In theory, Nintendo could release an XB1 level console for a low price, but sell an SCD with the same hardware guts for people who want double the processing power and above PS4 level graphics.
Many of us have said this is the best thing to do if it's actually possible and can work.

Top Bottom