• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's VGX reveal is fucking Cranky Kong!!!

Can't believe people are actually defending this announcement. Fanboys are truly something else. The problem isn't so much that they didn't announce a new game, it's more that they had two other big titles that people have been itching for footage/info on that they could have shown instead.

A 3 min walkthrough of an X demo or bayonetta 2 demo would have made it worthwhile. Instead we get a 3 min walkthrough a game that has had a lot of exposure and one that is from a franchise everyone is familiar with already.
It makes no sense to fly out the lead dev of either X or Bayonetta 2 all the way out from Japan and hire a translator just to demo a game for 3 minutes on an award show that's not even being televised. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more of those games but the show dropped off hard big time this year. They are saving those for bigger events.

Fandangox

Can't believe people are actually defending this announcement. Fanboys are truly something else. The problem isn't so much that they didn't announce a new game, it's more that they had two other big titles that people have been itching for footage/info on that they could have shown instead.

A 3 min walkthrough of an X demo or bayonetta 2 demo would have made it worthwhile. Instead we get a 3 min walkthrough a game that has had a lot of exposure and one that is from a franchise everyone is familiar with already.

I really don;t think those two games would have either be fit for the audience either as one is an JRPG (although it could have made an impact with a good trailer) and the other is a Niche game with an over the top style. As much as I would have liked for them to show a game that had less exposure or something other than DK which they already covered recently at DK I really don't see what else they could have shown aside from Smash.

Plus I also think people are overestimating the importance of the VGXs, it has diminished compared to last year, and the big reveals have stopped.

one_kill

DKCTF hasn't had a lot of exposure. They've only shown two trailers before this and only a handful of levels.

I think the people defending this are mostly arguing that people should've kept their expectations in check. Those who expected highly were left disappointed.

mantidor

The anger.

It has been repeated to death, but lets say again, you can only blame yourselves for the disappointment, I don't get why people got hyped up so much, even with Reggie posting a couple more tweets than usual.

X and Bayo are way down the 2014 line, if they ever make it into the year, Donkey Kong is the game to advertise right now.

GD1551

Banned
It makes no sense to fly out the lead dev of either X or Bayonetta 2 all the way out from Japan and hire a translator just to demo a game for 3 minutes on an award show that's not even being televised. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more of those games but the show dropped off hard big time this year. They are saving those for bigger events.

Don't really need to fly out a developer to do that. They could have done a narrated video like the nintendo directs.

Also @ the people saying this year lost importance, well what happened between this year and the last that made it lose importance? Just last year Phantom Pain and Dark Souls 2 were announced.. so did something happen that I don't know of?

Fandangox

Don't really need to fly out a developer to do that. They could have done a narrated video like the nintendo directs.

Also @ the people saying this year lost importance, well what happened between this year and the last that made it lose importance? Just last year Phantom Pain and Dark Souls 2 were announced.. so did something happen that I don't know of?

Its no longer televised by Spike, and it has no audience on stage anymore.

GD1551

Banned
Its no longer televised by Spike, and it has no audience on stage anymore.

So basically the only people who would have really been exposed to this were 'hardcore' gamers? More reason X should have been there instead of DK. Not trying to shit on DK or anything, but even casuals know a fair amount about it, so just imagine how much a 'hardcore' gamer knows. This would have been a good opportunity to win over some people with X.

Fandangox

So basically the only people who would have really been exposed to this were 'hardcore' gamers? More reason X should have been there instead of DK. Not trying to shit on DK or anything, but even casuals know a fair amount about it, so just imagine how much a 'hardcore' gamer knows. This would have been a good opportunity to win over some people with X.

I agree DK is not the game that should have been shown, I really think the only game that would have fitted from their previously announced ones would have been Bayonetta. I am just saying it was really obvious it was going to be DK and people should have not expected something like Zelda or a new game.

Darryl

Banned

you know i had thought that maybe VGX was going to be a great opportunity for them to announce a game but it really wasn't that big of a deal. i think the marketers at nintendo dodged a bullet here. there wasn't enough fanfare around the event to give any of their games any extra attention that they couldn't have gotten by announcing it any other day of the week. either way, you shouldn't go around calling people fanboys for not getting upset at an announcement. it's not gonna speed up the launch of the game or anything. get your priorities straight

ArjanN

This whole year was a downgrade. We've gone from a big budget production where they unveil Dark Souls 2, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Arkham City, Skyrim, Mass Effect...

to some low-rent shit in a basement with 3 reveals and they were all small indie games. Two of which were Telltale adventure games.

LOLOLOL thinking Zelda or something big and interesting would pop up at this shitshow

Sure the show was shit, but let's not pretend that's the reason Nintendo has nothing to show.

ninjarr

Neo Member
Haven't been following this game too closely since the last iteration on the Wii disappointing me with its controls, can anyone who has played chime in on if they are tighter (less slidey) and comfortable (no motion-based rolling crap)?

Also, can you play as each character in single player, or are you restricted to big DK unless you're a co-op add-in?

Mr-Joker

Banned

Out of all the big titles Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is the closest to release date.

Bayonetta 2 is still development and X doesn't even have an official name so there was no point in showing it award show.

Beside the way Joel and Geoff were behaving, I am starting to think that Cranky Kong was just too good for them.

they clearly said in their twitter acount they would show a tittle we arelady knew, reading is not that hard seriously.

Logical thinking wasn't also hard either as it was so obvious it was going to be Donkey Kong related and considering it an award show and not E3 or Nintendo Direct there was no way it was going to be Zelda U or an unannounced game.

And when Cranky Kong got leaked, well it wasn't hard to put two and two together.

Yagharek

I cant believe people are still throwing tantrums over the announcement.

I think people need to stop being disappointed with Nintendo.
Nintendo will do its thing and its up to gamers to either hang-on or butt out.

Classic example of Nintendo of today; Squander a whole year's advantage of releasing a console early AND then cap the lost year's advantage with a donkey kong character reveal at a dudebro gaming expo.

Imagine Sony or MS pulling something like this by revealing an extra character from an upcoming Halo/God of war game at an expo targeted at kids?

This is Nintendo. Deal with it

Because Broken Age, Hello Games and Telltale were so dudebro.

The VGX was a low rent overlong episode of GTTV and in that regard Reggie has this kind of segment a few times a year.

Now if this was the 2010 or 2011 VGA's then people would be somewhat justified in their faux outrage.

Please let Cranky Kong be in Smash with an alternate skin for Reggie / Iwata.

Also, let me say that isn't meant to sound racist at all, just they are old and human shaped, similar to Cranky.

Yagharek

I can't believe people still do this weak trolling this day and age. I'll wait for you to point out the part of my post that sounds like a "tantrum".

The invective throughout your post. Accusing anyone who likes the announcement of being fanboys. Nevermind the out of proportion reactions from people who had unrealistic expectations.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Is there a option to play as a single character before each level? If not there should be, it would hugely widen the speedrun potential for this game if there were 4-5 distinct chars.

oracrest

Seems like a genuine guy to me:

tumblr_md00qdAJCA1rjz07to1_500.jpg

HAHA

well done.

Top Bottom