• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiOh 2 Gets New Screenshots Revealing Saika Magoichi & More | News Coming Every Week Until Release

Mista

Banned
NiOh-2-2.jpg

First of all, we get a message from director Fumihiko Yasuda on Twitter
Yasuda-san mentions that starting today, the team is going to deliver new information every week for about eight weeks until release, so he encourages everyone to look forward to next week’s reveal.

The game is in the final phase of development, and the feedback and expectations from the fans are what give the team strength.

Yasuda-san hopes that gamers who played the original game, those who learned about it at Tokyo Game Show 2019, those who learned about it at the local events, and those who played the beta will join together in being excited about the game until its release.

The team plans to keep working hard so that everyone can enjoy NiOh 2 to their heart’s content, so they look forward to everyone’s continued support.

The info for this week come from a sizable official site update and a press release with plenty of screenshots and information.

First and foremost, we get the reveal of Saika Magoichi, voiced by Yasuyuki Kase.

He’s the head of the Saika Ikki from Kii (currently Wakayama Prefecture). Magoichi is actually the name given to the leader of the clan with each generation, and his real name is Shigehide Suzuki. He is the predecessor of Shigetomo, who appeared in the first game.

The Saika Ikki was a mercenary group that dispatched troops to various areas upon request. They were especially known for their proficiency with the arquebus and artillery. They had no master and do battle simply following the call of money. They fought a fierce battle against Oda Nobunaga at the Ishiyama Hongan-ji fortress.

The next reveal is Tesso, a youkai with the form of a giant rat. It’s a monster who used to be a monk who died while harboring a grudge.

Rats have been known as one of the worst kinds of pests since ancient times, and they didn’t just consume grain, but also paper, severely damaging temples that stored many scrolls and documents. The fact that the monk became an enemy of the Buddhist religion is a symbol of his grudge.

Another critter we’ll have to fight is a boss named Gyuuki, which is grotesque hybrid between a cow and a spider. It’s ferocious and brutal, and it’s often associated with water, appearing on the coast, near rivers, or waterfalls.

Two new stages have also been revealed, starting with Otari Castle at the foot of mount Kotani. It used to be the seat of the Azai clan and it became a huge mountain castle with plenty of complex structures.

We also see the aforementioned Ishiyama Hongan-ji fortress, which is a castle city near Osaka protected by a powerful wall. A canal leading into the sea serves as a moat and as a huge reservoir of water during sieges and for fire prevention.

It was called “Ishiyama” due to the many massive stones used for its foundations.

We then get to see three guardian spirits. Kyuubi the nine-tailed fox can damage enemies in a wide range with its tails. It also has illusionary powers and can pass through walls.

Yatagarasu is Saika Magoichi’s guardian spirit who can attack enemies by swooping into battle and shooting a flaming wave in three directions.

The Hiyokudori is a two-headed bird that can breath water-based attack from both beaks. Its attacks are very effective against large opponents.

Lastly, we see the Youkai powers of the Gedo-Hei and the Onibi.

GymWolf

After the first one i'm gonna wait for some feedback.

Top tier combat, acceptable to mediocre to straight bad in everything else.

And the sequel looks like nioh 1.5 more than a real sequel, i hope i'm wrong.

Lanrutcon

Better level design please.

Every level turned into a gauntlet of "oh hey, they hid a bad guy right around this sharp corner. Haven't seen that since...oh...1 corner ago".

And drop the stupid coop requirements. Just let people play.

Vawn

Banned
Nioh was amazing. Character and level designs weren't From level, but the combat was so satisfying and the Diablo-style look in a Souls-like was very satisfying.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That dark looking rat like creature looks cool and so does the huge bug like creature. So far the enemy designs look awesome.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
The yokai powers seem really cool. I'm definitely excited to try this and compare to the first game and to Sekiro.
Nothing can be compared to Sekiro honestly. Everything in Sekiro took it to the next level and it became the standard today

Sekiro's animations alone is something to be taught very well. Good luck to anyone trying to top what Sekiro offered bro

Aion002

Nothing can be compared to Sekiro honestly. Everything in Sekiro took it to the next level and it became the standard today

Sekiro's animations alone is something to be taught very well. Good luck to anyone trying to top what Sekiro offered bro
I love Sekiro.... But the combat was really limited... So no. The combat was not next level... Nioh 1 still has the best battle system in the genre.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Better level design please.

Every level turned into a gauntlet of "oh hey, they hid a bad guy right around this sharp corner. Haven't seen that since...oh...1 corner ago".

And drop the stupid coop requirements. Just let people play.

Wut?

Never figure out Suppa/Catwalking?

And what Co-Op requirements?

NT80

After the first one i'm gonna wait for some feedback.

Top tier combat, acceptable to mediocre to straight bad in everything else.

And the sequel looks like nioh 1.5 more than a real sequel, i hope i'm wrong.

Did you play the Beta? I think they did a lot better in some of the weaker areas of the first game. Level design was better and most importantly enemy variety. Enemy variety was my biggest complaint. Hopefully they keep that up in the full game and continue to introduce good new enemies throughout as they did in the beta.

The combat has added even more with the new weapons both of which were interesting new additions and the introduction of Castlevania like ability steal.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Doesn't matter. Enemy placement was an overused series of attempted "Gotcha!" moments. Like clockwork. Like Doom 3 monster closets.

Nah, Nioh is actually far less guilty of this than the Souls' games thanks to having a far better developed overall ability set. Ranged abilities are stronger, stealth is super-op not only allowing you to avoid attack but to apply debuffs to the target without them reacting.

Can't coop until one of you has beaten the level you want to coop.

Pretty sure that was patched out, the game changed very rapidly in the first 6 months.

Lanrutcon

Nah, Nioh is actually far less guilty of this than the Souls' games thanks to having a far better developed overall ability set. Ranged abilities are stronger, stealth is super-op not only allowing you to avoid attack but to apply debuffs to the target without them reacting.

I'm not talking about the player's options in dealing with the design choice. I'm talking about the prevalence of said design choice. The blatantly overused and repetitive design choice. In Doom 3 monsters closets were so overused that it become standard to walk into obvious traps facing backward, because a wall would slide or rotate to reveal an enemy behind you every single time. The trick lost all meaning and danger because it was used in every level, multiple times. Same goes for Nioh and placing enemies around corners. It gets used multiple times in every single level, barring the ones where you move from gated arena to arena and the enemies just spawn in.

I'm mentally walking through the very first level of Nioh right now, and just counting the goddamn corner ambushes and I'm annoyed. while not even playing the damn thing. A dumb blemish on an otherwise fine game.

Pretty sure that was patched out, the game changed very rapidly in the first 6 months.

Oh, I stand corrected then. That's great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They yellow washed the main character?

No? It's a different character (a nameless protagonist you can customize) and actually set 45 years before the first game.

Top Bottom