• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh embargo lifts on February 2nd (+ game size)

Gbraga

A lot of that is probably extra/side content. No way the main story takes 70 hours.

Yeah, if they're counting side stuff, then it sounds great.

Like Demon's?

I actually think that works in its favor. It doesn't have to ape every Souls game in how they branched out to open areas.

I actually really like the level based system cause its easier to keep track of where you've been and where you need to go, that's why the Nexus still remains my favorite hub of the series

It would be awesome if we had a Nexus place in this game. I don't mind the level approach, but I'm kind of hoping it's not just selecting missions from a menu screen like the betas.

Jimrpg

I wouldn't be so sure of this. I think influence of Souls games could carry over to Nioh as far as critucs are concerned. Seems like a mid 80s score based on everything we have seen so far. Maybe higher if the story is any good.

I agree. When I said all over the place I meant more like 7-10 with some 6s rather than 3s.

The difficulty is just going to put some people off just like the first Demon Souls.

67325958.jpg

Why wouldnt they be? Its very similar in a lot of ways to games that already exist and are very popular, so they have no reason to be worried.

I don't subscribe to this line of thinking because:

1) Souls formula is not a guaranteed formula for success. We know of at least one AAA example that did not work out.

2) The Miyazaki worship is still quite strong among many fans. They very specifically want what he's giving.

3) We do not know how many people wants a new Souls, and how many people want a game inspired by Souls.

Nioh is still a very big risk for a project in the making for 10+ years, I'm sure Koei Tecmo is most aware of it. The fact that they're still confident enough to put out three demos and early review embargo shows a massive confidence in their work. Regardless of the outcome this is to be commented.

80 Metacritic

Praise for its combat system, enemy design, challenging difficulty. Points off for not being as good as Dark Souls in key areas, like the bland level design, the less thoughtful loot system, a less interesting world.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Would media give review without finishing this game?I think polygon would give it 5 because it is too hard for polygon to finish.

I think it's a good chance to "judge" review ,because we already know lots of things about this game.

I predict 84-86 Metacritic score. Think it will generally be very well received with some outliers complaining about frustrating difficulty and / or too overt similarity to Dark Souls series.
I'm also a bit concerned that some reviewers will try to rush their play through in order to get their reviews out by the 2nd and end up being frustrated every time they get to a roadblock in their progress. Patience is key with this sort of game and with the developers estimated game length comment, I really think they should have pushed back the embargo a few days.

Is it normal that the download bar shows you at what point you can play a game? I've never seen that, but I don't buy any games digital that I could get on a disk.

I feel like Nioh will either be this generation's breakout Japanese franchise like Demon's Souls... or it's most overlooked gem, like Dragon's Dogma. What Nioh has going for it is that its the first "Souls-like" game I've played in ages that had a difficulty curve I needed to adapt to.

I went through the same "this is unfair -> I don't understand these systems -> this boss fucking sucks -> oh wait... -> OH WAIT.... -> I get it now 10/10" cycle that Demon's Souls gave me, and that's something that Souls gamers are very thirsty for.

Side note: Any sales/deals available on the digital version?

this is it I guess, so one question.

Ever since this game started being regarded as the hardest game of the generation, I stopped caring about it, some months ago.

has that been re-confirmed, that the game is indeed harder than everything else??

i only played last trial and it felt as easy as the first dark souls coming from demons souls (i havent played 2 or 3), once you get the gist of it.

sometimes though maybe it was my plays style (cant dodge/parry for shit so im all or nothing lol) but it had some difficulty spikes with some bosses. i just couldnt beat the Ogress for example so that's where i stopped playing.

im still getting the game though i really liked it, the whole setting is just my thing.

Strings

i only played last trial and it felt as easy as the first dark souls coming from demons souls (i havent played 2 or 3), once you get the gist of it.

sometimes though maybe it was my plays style (cant dodge/parry for shit so im all or nothing lol) but it had some difficulty spikes with some bosses. i just couldnt beat the Ogress for example so that's where i stopped playing.

im still getting the game though i really liked it, the whole setting is just my thing.

Last trial was VERY easy in comparison to earlier stuff. Alpha especially, but the beta was toned down and still way more difficult.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What arguments can the press have for this game to have low scores?

I think there are a decent amount of things they can nitpick that could actually be issues in a full game, i just think the experience in the demo was really fun and can be a big winner if the rest of the game evolves on that

Deku Tree

I hope they did like Souls and give the reviewers an easy mode game, then release a day 1 difficulty patch.

Some reviewers are gonna knock the game for sure. Based on the betas I feel like it could be too grindy.

Bloodborne metacritic of 92/100 probably won't be topped.

Inorganic

I highly doubt it will cross 90+ meta. Not many games have this gen. Games seem to be rated more harshly these days, with reviewers using a much wider range of scores. That and every single review will bring up comparisons to Souls/BB in some form or another. That may or may not work in Nioh's favor. I predict a 78-84 meta.

What arguments can the press have for this game to have low scores?

I don't think many outlets will score it "low," but the lack of variety in environments is probably going to be a big complaint.

We also don't know how difficulty is balanced towards the latter half of the game (where stats presumably matter less), how varied the missions are, or the quality of the main story. The first point is especially dangerous, as I could see this being a game where, unlike Souls, the endgame content cannot be beaten without expert-level skills.

Souls generally lets you level/grind your way through most of the challenges before NG+, but these are the people who made Ninja Gaiden, and I doubt they'll hold back from some potentially "unfair" late game encounters.

I hope they did like Souls and give the reviewers an easy mode game, then release a day 1 difficulty patch.

Some reviewers are gonna knock the game for sure. Based on the betas I feel like it could be too grindy.

Bloodborne metacritic of 92/100 probably won't be topped.

I never did much grinding in the betas. Like Souls, it's pretty much up to the players it seems. I dislike grinding, so I just try to master the systems and take it from there.

TitusTroy

I guess they are confident in the game. Reviewers have 6/7 days to beat the game and write their reviews I guess, I'm not sure if that is enough, specially when the game seems to be loaded with content, the director said it will take 70 hours to beat the game on average (could be BS of course).

the director said 70 hours on average??

Nev

Banned
If they don't have an easy mode you can be absolutely certain most reviewers won't beat this in 6 days, moreso if it actually takes 70h. Expect bad reviews from these frustrated reviewers who didn't even finish the game.

There's a surprising amount of people who are downright awful at playing videogames making reviews.

Hanmik

If they don't have an easy mode you can be absolutely certain most reviewers won't beat this in 6 days, moreso if it actually takes 70h. Expect bad reviews from these frustrated reviewers who didn't even finish the game.

There's a surprising amount of people who are downright awful at playing videogames making reviews.

are there really some games that have "EASY" mode for reviewers only? or is that just a silly rumor.. lol

BigEmil

This. Reviewers will no doubt rush it heavily and miss out alot of deeper stuff just to get the review out when embargo releases. Now should've given them the review copies 3x earlier atleast

Top Bottom