• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
I'm in the guild that gives you +40 extra luck and have it as a bonus on both an accessory and a helm. I'm level 84 right now with +97 Luck according to the Special Effects tab. I get a decent amount of purples just from drops and anytime I see a revenant with all purple gear I usually get at least 1 or 2 purples from it. I got 4 purples from a revenant a few days ago lol.

That has barely anything to do with your luck stat, revs are always like that. Also, if you were levelling faster with Toyotomi you would get better gear anyway :)

I like that I can get some of the best items in old missions because some bodies and bosses will drop based on your own level it seems.

Who the fuck designed this stupid fucking centipede boss and thought it was a good idea and who the fuck approved this stupid thing cause it's the worst fucking boss so far.

If you are arguing to removes Sloth from the game then Show me a video of yourself beating Yuki-onna on level without using Sloth, without using any ranged attacks for the whole fight, and without using LW spam.

I want to see it!
No-damage'd her earlier at level 1, hardly any armor and the above restrictions. Someone named JoeFenix did it too.

sbxdrz.gif

Touch-of-death city. Had a difficult time with the Kusarigama so I had to swap to a more immediate weapon (animation-wise) I only had the kick skill for. Certainly could've been more efficient and flashier had I put more time into 'grinding' weapon profiency.

I just bodied Honda. Is it possible to battle him legit?
No-damage'd her earlier at level 1, hardly any armor and the above restrictions. Someone named JoeFenix did it too.

sbxdrz.gif

Touch-of-death city. Had a difficult time with the Kusarigama so I had to swap to a more immediate weapon (animation-wise) I only had the kick skill for. Certainly could've been more efficient and flashier had I put more time into 'grinding' weapon profiency.
I knew those icicles had some sort of dodge pattern. I couldn't be bothered to learn it though. Good stuff!

Syntsui

WE MEGAMAN NOW BOYS. HOLY SHIT I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!

I thought I was about to finish the game but it seems there's a few mission left.

V-Faction

They've GOT to do more weapon choices. They're all so cool and having more options would shoot build potential through the roof.

I want:

- Proper Bare-handed (Kenshiro style)
- Dual Spears (Yukimura)
- Claws (Berserker slash!)
- Triple Sword (AKA Zoro)
- Bo Staff (Sun WuKong baby)
- Harisen (As a more dedicated Onmyo user weapon)

It's not really about the damage but the fact that he succumbs to Spear's moveset easily. :p

Perhaps not a good demonstration then, since he only requires one rotation of attacks to pretty much kill him. I imagine most players would actually allow Tachibanna to attack, which is most likely where they face issue.

Instead of teaching people how to kill bosses before the boss itself can attack you should be advising people how to not get hit by its attacks. Significantly, because not getting hit is a universal strategy, independent of your build you can beat any boss in the game with your bare hands if you simply know how to evade its attacks, and when he provides an attack window.

I found Tachi pretty difficult when I fought him, but I figured out three things

• You can always strike him once after he attacks
  • After he charges his sword with lightening, he will burn a lot of stamina with an extremely predictable attack and give you a significant attack window
  • You can block most of his attacks (aside the dog)
So while a slow fight by just side stepping his attacks that are extremely telegraphable, and negating risk by blocking any that you're unsure about, you can easily get through the fight from start to finish while taking no damage with any weapon in the game.

Syntsui

They've GOT to do more weapon choices. They're all so cool and having more options would shoot build potential through the roof.

I want:

- Proper Bare-handed (Kenshiro style)
- Dual Spears (Yukimura)
- Claws (Berserker slash!)
- Triple Sword (AKA Zoro)
- Bo Staff (Sun WuKong baby)
- Harisen (As a more dedicated Onmyo user weapon)
The lack of claws really surprised me coming from them, if there will ever be a DLC weapon,it will be it.

Took that motherfucker down with the fucking clutch nigh no health living weapon. Fuck that motherfucking motherfucker. I have no love for that boss, fuck him.

Izuna

Banned
Even if you're not using Lifeseal against Tachibana.. with how this game treats Ki recovery and the rule set it's really just as simple as letting them whiff and attack and going in.

That Tachibana fight prepares you to fight every single humanoid in the game if you do it without say... Sloth or using LW.

I'd say he's just a harder hitting Murai

~~

IMO it's one example that Souls players, when they talk about difficulty, they're not referring to the execution required to play a challenging action game (half the time).

NiOh, with Sloth, LW usage and the fact that it has one less dimension to combat than NGB means it's only just about there with some of its later dual boss fights.

Took that motherfucker down with the fucking clutch nigh no health living weapon. Fuck that motherfucking motherfucker. I have no love for that boss, fuck him.

You know he's not that hard right? Cut off the tail, kill the poison part, block the chomping part, dodge the spit and slam, attack.

Mesharey

What's Sloth and how can I get it? (Edit: nvm found it).

Killed 3 out of last 4 bosses I played against from the first time, feels good!

I'm in the guild that gives you +40 extra luck and have it as a bonus on both an accessory and a helm. I'm level 84 right now with +97 Luck according to the Special Effects tab. I get a decent amount of purples just from drops and anytime I see a revenant with all purple gear I usually get at least 1 or 2 purples from it. I got 4 purples from a revenant a few days ago lol.

God damn and i thought i had a lot of luck points lol

fionel

I'm about 16 hours in. Finished 7 missions just defeated
Yuki Onna
. Did 90% of the sub missions available so far.

I was hyped about this game more than usual especially after having good vibes with the alpha/beta/last chance demo. However so far I haven't really felt much of a "fuck yeah this game rocks!!" moment. Some of the concerns I had with the demo turned out to be true with the final product.

- lack of enemy variety. So far I have only seen 2 enemies that I haven't seen in the demos
spiders, ghost lady
- lackluster loot. Maybe b/c I've been pretty much smooth sailing in this game, I haven't really felt the difference in what my skills can make. Only exciting stats are life steal and elemental damage for me.
- twilight missions. I thought these were awesome back in the demo until I find out now that they're put on a daily rotation. The recommended levels are always too high or too low for me so I still haven't done a single one. I understand the idea is to allow them to tweak the mob levels on a daily basis to lengthen replayability, but I believe if you have an end game character this would become nothing but an annoyance.
- coop. My buddy and I had a fucking blast playing coop through the demos. Why the fuck did they put in that restriction? How is summoning only people who cleared the stage not easier than a blind play through with someone who hasn't? Makes zero sense. I bet it's a decision made by the same idiot who messed up the bow control in the Beta too ;p

The environments might be repetitive and drab but I think the level design in this game is pretty solid overall. IF ONLY it had more variety in enemy types. A lot of reviews said most of the bosses are only serviceable, but while they might not be as soul crushingly hard as some of the Soulsborne bosses, I think they're basically fair and varied enough that they are fun to fight.

I hope the game only gets better from here on out. I also hope they remove the coop restriction through a patch soon. Can't wait to get to NG+ without it!

ZoyosJD

sbxdrz.gif

Nice. I think I took 3 hits when I level 1'd her yesterday. I figure I'll do the no hit runs when when they patch the broken titles.

Van Bur3n

Do any of the parrying or knock down skills affect yokai? I feel like it's something that would only affect human enemies, so I can't see myself using it too often since I don't find human enemies too troublesome.

You know he's not that hard right? Cut off the tail, kill the poison part, block the chomping part, dodge the spit and slam, attack.
Once I stopped trying to run from the chomping part and started blocking it it got a lot easier. Sadly this was after I depleted my elixir reserves and was down to pretty much four heals. You pretty much have to fight it like a Bloodborne boss and switch between locked on and locked off to land attacks cause of the camera. I also had to switch to dual swords and low stance cause trying to attack it too much in mid stance was depleting my stamina too fast.

God damn and i thought i had a lot of luck points lol

26 is from gear, 12 from prestige, 40 from the guild, and 15 from an Onmyo passive. Not sure where the other 4 is from without doing further digging. There's Luck boosting talismans but I haven't been making use of them. Also, in the 3rd region
there's a guardian spirit that you get that has +50 Luck as a passive.

Kalentan

So uh... Did I miss something? I left a mission with 500k gold. I went to the blacksmith, crafted some gear, soul matched 2 equipment and then refashioned the stuff... Somehow that cost me 500k gold... I don't even understand how that's possible considering all that stuff costs only in the single thousands...

lionpants

So uh... Did I miss something? I left a mission with 500k gold. I went to the blacksmith, crafted some gear, soul matched 2 equipment and then refashioned the stuff... Somehow that cost me 500k gold... I don't even understand how that's possible considering all that stuff costs only in the single thousands...
Soul matching can get crazy expensive. It was probably that.

Van Bur3n

It would depend on the level of what you were soul matching. If the difference between the levels was significant, soul matching can be incredibly expensive. I've seen it cost up to 200k and that was only a 6 or 7 level difference I think.

Soul matching is expensive, especially if you use common (white) gear to do it. I think it's much cheaper to use a purple as your upgrade fodder.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It would depend on the level of what you were soul matching. If the difference between the levels was significant, soul matching can be incredibly expensive. I've seen it cost up to 200k.

30x that amount and you are closer to what I saw so far.

Skatterd

So what kinda dlc are we gunna get?

Don't know if these are exactly considered spoilers but spoilering them anyway

Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces
Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka
Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

Plus PVP

For anyone still wondering, I gave 4 noble dung balls to open up the door to that guy, and t hen 9 normal ones . He gave me a soulstone for 5, his helmet for the last four, and an achievement .

Do any of the parrying or knock down skills affect yokai? I feel like it's something that would only affect human enemies, so I can't see myself using it too often since I don't find human enemies too troublesome.

None, only affects humans and revenants.

Well okay it also affects the normal skeleton warriors.

Once I stopped trying to run from the chomping part and started blocking it it got a lot easier. Sadly this was after I depleted my elixir reserves and was down to pretty much four heals. You pretty much have to fight it like a Bloodborne boss and switch between locked on and locked off to land attacks cause of the camera. I also had to switch to dual swords and low stance cause trying to attack it too much in mid stance was depleting my stamina too fast.

Yeah a lot of people tend not to guard in the beginning for whatever reasons they've learned from Souls but guard is really strong in this game despite the riskier penalties

RexNovis

Banned
So just an FYI to everyone it looks like the framerate is uncapped in menus on Action Mode for the pro which results in some really high heat levels on the HW. After testing it a bit I can confirm that the movie mode is capped at 30 in menus. The heat difference as a result is staggering. At times the Action mode was hot enough to cause a small amount of warping to the plastic whereas the movie mode is relatively cool to the touch. As a result, until its patched, regardless of feel/performance I would recommend running in movie mode so as to avoid overheating your HW.

What exactly is the criteria for Twilight Mission changes?

I've only been able to do one because the next time I play they change to something 25-50 levels higher than the previous batch with requirements for missions I don't even have yet.

Tang

Neo Member
What exactly is the criteria for Twilight Mission changes?

I've only been able to do one because the next time I play they change to something 25-50 levels higher than the previous batch with requirements for missions I don't even have yet.

They change at 1 AM EST every day.

Don't know if these are exactly considered spoilers but spoilering them anyway

Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces
Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka
Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

Plus PVP

Wonder if we'll get some items and stuff too. Maybe a new weapon class?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm still early in the game, but I'm assuming the special effects of weapons also have a rarity scale (yellow, blue, purple) correct?

I'm also curious if there's a way to see how these the specials impact stats. Just trying to find a way better way to compare the effectiveness of equipment without having to use them.

Im in region 5 and Im pretty sure its going to wind up being the worst boss in the game
At least it's not just me. I like challenge and enjoy the Hino-Enma and Nue boss fights cause once you get the pattern right they become sort of a dance, Giant Centipede just felt cheesy. Thing has too much. Cheesy chomp, ton of status effects, bad camera. It's like a buffet of bad Souls bosses.
Yeah a lot of people tend not to guard in the beginning for whatever reasons they've learned from Souls but guard is really strong in this game despite the riskier penalties
The block kind of seems like the God of War block, but not OP.
I wanna add that, the cost also goes up with how many times that Weapon or Armor had been Soul Matched.

Probably should just Soul Match it once or twice, then move on to new gear.
But my Raikiri...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom