• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwave is easy to pull off, Tempest is the finnicky one (the slam to the ground after the clash). Most mid and high stance attacks from weapons are easy to backwave.

BTW, I'm working on my Atagi Sadamune and removed Yokai Close Combat damage +16.5% and rolled Familiarity Damage Bonus A+. Should I keep that or keep rolling for better stuff?

Lol for me it's the opposite, can't get the parry timing for enemy sword attacks, but once I do I get the slam down counter.

Baalzebup

Backwave is easy to pull off, Tempest is the finnicky one (the slam to the ground after the clash). Most mid and high stance attacks from weapons are easy to backwave.

BTW, I'm working on my Atagi Sadamune and removed Yokai Close Combat damage +16.5% and rolled Familiarity Damage Bonus A+. Should I keep that or keep rolling for better stuff?
Well, that is the second best possible result behind the absolute best rolls of Close Combat Damage, which can go to full +20% bonus at full Familiarity, if we're talking about generic damage boost specials.

Audioboxer

Yes. Get the koan manual at the hidden treehouse.

Should be warned I've read your titles will all have to be re-earned. As in, it also resets progress on them. No doubt getting 100% of all titles is tied to a trophy.

So you get to spend all the points again, but you have to re-earn all the titles.

If I'm wrong apologies in advance, just read this on reddit I think it was.

Deku Tree

Should be warned I've read your titles will all have to be re-earned. As in, it also resets progress on them. No doubt getting 100% of all titles is tied to a trophy.

So you get to spend all the points again, but you have to re-earn all the titles.

If I'm wrong apologies in advance, just read this on reddit I think it was.

Both of those things are not true.

However the game does word things in such a way that it makes you think that it will reset your titles earned. Perhaps something was lost in the translation. The only thing that resets is your allocated prestige points. Your earned titles do not reset.

Back up your save ahead of time if you are nervous.

catspit

However the game does word things in such a way that it makes you think that it will reset your titles earned. Perhaps something was lost in the translation. The only thing that resets is your allocated prestige points. Your earned titles do not reset.

What are the best things to put points into? Focus on the +damage ones or get the luck/money etc?

myco666

10 million to go... Killing these revenants seems efficient but goddamn does everybody need to be running in Red Demon shit? Can I please get something else soon?

Giant Demon
Kitty-pants
and the whole cutscenes surrounding that fight were so endearingly PS2 era Japanese, I almost shed a tiny tear.

I'm starting to get really fluid with parries, landing parries immediately with a stance change on the fly, and it's quite possibly one of the most fun times I've ever had with a combat system in general.

Nue as a mini-boss
was a cool reminder of how far I've come skill-wise...and apparently it's quite far.

RedFury

Anyone with the time willing to drop that 20% close combat?
Edit: and anything else worth dropping really.
10 million to go... Killing these revenants seems efficient but goddamn does everybody need to be running in Red Demon shit? Can I please get something else soon?
It's a good skill light armor, that and it's in the open region in NG+.

Raybunny

Indeed... In the later levels you see a few more Kingos and Fanatics fortunately.

Anyone with the time willing to drop that 20% close combat?
Edit: and anything else worth dropping really.

It's a good skill light armor, that and it's in the open region in NG+.

One of the few stats I am missing. Had a 15.1 Close Combat but its gone.

Izuna

Banned
Stop kidding yourself. I went into this game blind and everything reminds me of the Souls games. And why is that a bad thing? Great games influence other great games. Saying the revenants are not like the stains is just lying to yourself. They made a cool thing from souls even cooler, its not because they added something it dismisses the fact its inspired by it.

Why does it bother you so much anyway?

It's not "bothering me so much", it sounds more like the other side of the argument can't accept that Nioh plays very differently to Souls.

It's very reductive to call it Souls-like, and my point is that it isn't very helpful.

Right. They're like a mash-up of bloodstains and invasions. Like in Souls.

Invasions are player controlled, and bloodstains will "show you" how they died. They aren't similar. May as well call sword combat the same across games in this sense.

You kind of are though, or at least being deflective. I don't get why people keep doing this. The Souls influence in Nioh is very, very obvious and it goes beyond the Amrita system. That's okay though, because the game is definitely it's own thing. I just don't see how it's constructive to cry foul when people say Nioh has Souls DNA. It clearly does. Diablo though, are you joking?

Many who have played through NG+ will say how this game is like Diablo with its loot.

So, it's two taps of the L1? Will try this later.

Tempest is very hard to pull off compared to the other parry moves.

One tips I can give you is tapping L1 instead of holding it seems to work better for me. I had more luck when trying it out on an enemy with a weapon like the axe than a sword.

Try this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfGJEBrtuHk

The part where he Tempest's the guy through the wall into the building at 1:40 is pretty damn cool.

I can pull off all the other parries reliably and I think have only landed Tempest like twice and kind of gave up on it. I should really go practice it like I did with the other parries just because it looks cool as hell.

Deku Tree

The main part of Nioh is the combat and the combat is very different in Nioh than it is in Souls.

no turtle shield, no ridiculous full of iFrame roll,

much faster paced combat, enemies hit harder and punish you more, ki management, ki pulse, ninjitsu, magic, etc

Roland1979

For me this is the system seller. I really wanted Blood Borne, and i want Ni No Kuni 2 when released, but this is the one. My favorite streamer was hooked the first day and i loved what i watched. The main character actually existed, it was a Dutch man (as am I), and was the first Western samurai, and openen up trade and communications with the West for the first time. So it's not that weird that you play has a white dude.

So how does the game actually count when you have killed a boss?
I've been trying to get some 3X kills of bosses by being a visitor, but the first time it didn't count the kill and another session it did. Do you have to have the last hit or something?

Kudo

One Twilight Mission away from Platinum, I think! Or does NG+ count towards the Samurai of Legend?
Didn't have as much trouble with O
da
and Y
uki-Onna
as I thought I would.

Also for people having trouble with the Blacksmith Patronage level stuff,
just do the first mission in NG+ and then talk to Tome few times, when she asks you does she look good in her casual clothes tell her she looks good and that gives you 12 patronage points, that's what unlocked the trophy for me.

ISee

Just killed the
'black samurai'.
I'm assuming I'm near the end, but tbh I already assumed that like 7h ago. So how far away am I from the end?

The game started as a 9/10 for me, but now it's just a solid 8/10. The main problem is its length and missing enemy variety. It's like they've thrown in every level they ever created into this without checking if the level brings something positive to the experience. There are of course some good ones, but I'm getting a bit tired of exploring the same hallways over and over again, mostly because exploration isn't worthwhile (preplaced items aren't good and there is no reward for exploration).
I also did every side mission there is (so far) and I'm still ~30 levels behind the lvl recommendation... Do they really want me to redo missions? I don't want to grind and I already feel like I'm burning out by doing side missions.
The combat is still fun though, but the game is dragging too much.

Kudo

Just killed the
'black samurai'.
I'm assuming I'm near the end, but tbh I already assumed that like 7h ago. So how far away am I from the end?

The game started as a 9/10 for me, but now it's just a solid 8/10. The main problem is its length and missing enemy variety. It's like they've thrown in every level they ever created into this without checking if the level brings something positive to the experience. There are of course some good ones, but I'm getting a bit tired of exploring the same hallways over and over again, mostly because exploration isn't worthwhile (preplaced items aren't good and there is no reward for exploration).
I also did every side mission there is (so far) and I'm still ~30 levels behind the lvl recommendation... Do they really want me to redo missions? I don't want to grind and I already feel like I'm burning out by doing side missions.

more missions to go.

Deku Tree

I have 25% kodama Amrita bonus, wearing kodama Bowl helmet, I have Amrita bonus earned on all my armor. I use my prestige points to buy Amrita bonus percentage. I am in the 10% chance to get double Amrita clan. I am using the level 30 version of the bonus Amrita guardian spirit.

What else can I do to boost my Amrita earned?

Raybunny

I have 25% kodama Amrita bonus, wearing kodama Bowl helmet, I have Amrita bonus earned on all my armor. I use my prestige points to buy Amrita bonus percentage. I am in the 10% chance to get double Amrita clan. I am using the level 30 version of the bonus Amrita guardian spirit.

Magatamas talismans with armita gauge addition and amrita with living weapon ( if you using the LW build)

Zesh

You can also get it on your ranged weapons and accessories. For optimal amrita farming, you want accessories which increase amrita gain during LW, along with Suzaku and the amrita bonus sake.

Hybris

Just killed the
'black samurai'.

The mission levels indicate item drop level more so than recommended character level. I did every mission and ended around level 98

Menthuss

The part where he Tempest's the guy through the wall into the building at 1:40 is pretty damn cool.

I can pull off all the other parries reliably and I think have only landed Tempest like twice and kind of gave up on it. I should really go practice it like I did with the other parries just because it looks cool as hell.

I made a short video on what to look out for when trying to use Tempest.
Give it a go and let me know if it helps you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhPOwKo9wDo

So I'm like...level 10 and I've beaten the first boss. Can someone give me a current min/max type character build to just beat the crap out of everything? I don't have time to learn the systems and experiment too much.

RedFury

I mean, there is only one revenant and it can have only so many things on it. Kind of obvious, if you think about it.
Ah misunderstood thought you meant something else. Like a system in place to prevent doing exactly what we are doing. Lol thanks for the tanuki helm too!

Zesh

So I'm like...level 10 and I've beaten the first boss. Can someone give me a current min/max type character build to just beat the crap out of everything? I don't have time to learn the systems and experiment too much.

Your weapon choice/stats don't matter too much, but be sure to invest in Onmyo magic. Sloth breaks boss encounters, and Weakness and Carnage are useful as well. Quick-change in the Ninjutsu tree is also good.

Deku Tree

Which weapon do you like? Do you want to be slow and tanky or fast and take more damage? There are a lot of OP builds.

Pompadour

Well, I don't think there's anything optimal you can invest in this early but the best thing to do is find the weapon you like using and just dump your levels into whatever stat scales with it (Sword = Heart, Skill = Dual Swords, Dex = Kusarigama, Body = Spear, and Strength = Axe). Also invest enough to get the bonuses of whatever armor you want to wear otherwise the stat bonuses will be greyed out (for instance, light armor is Body + Skill). You'll also want to spend enough to unlock the bonuses for your Spirit Guardian so you'll need a little spirit investment for that.

Otherwise, if you want to make certain things trivial invest in Magic and unlock Sloth, Weakness, Lifeseal, and Carnage (Sloth is the most important). That will let you blow through most one on one fights.

MKIL65

So I've started a new playthrough, and yeah...

High stance Kusarigama + Power Pill + Water buff = Absolutely melts everything.

Audioboxer

Thanks for confirming. I think it was a reddit post about patch notes I read.

laxu

Agreed. The blatant reuse of levels really shows and half the missions are not visually very impressive. I don't know what the level designers for this game were doing all that time considering how many times that shitty "grassy areas between unclimbable mountains" level is used regardless of region.

So how does the game actually count when you have killed a boss?
I've been trying to get some 3X kills of bosses by being a visitor, but the first time it didn't count the kill and another session it did. Do you have to have the last hit or something?

Nvm, apparently the last hit counts.

Finished the story last night at Level 112 with 49 hours played, what a great first entry in what I hope becomes a long franchise.

My biggest gripe with the game was the ending.
Nobunaga fight/cutscene was awesome, the Kelley fight was a joke and very underwhelming, and fuck that "hydra" boss, it felt gimmicky and really frustrating. On top of all that, to me the most interesting and complex boss fight was in the epilogue mission.

NG+ unfortunately doesn't interest me too much, since the majority of the individual missions were not too memorable, along with what I imagine will be way tougher/more enemies and harder bosses; I don't want to spoil ending this game on a good note.

I have gone back and forth on wanting to Platinum this game, but looking all the grinding/collectible hunting there is to do, I feel like I will get bored of it; and it doesn't help there are a ton of games coming out in the near future. I almost wish this was one of those quiet summer releases where nothing was on the horizon and had all the time in the world to play only this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom