• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alastor3

I just read that you can't play coop until you or both players have beaten the mission? That seems incredibly backwards. Anyone hear anything on this?

I would also like to know because my friend think the game is too difficult and if we can play together it would be better.

Pixieking

Banned
*reads 6 pages of mostly people complaining about the thread name*

I propose a thread name-change:

Nioh |OT| Stan Sakai didn't prepare me for this

:D

After a few fights I started to just stay super close to her and went ham with the kusarigama whenever there was an opening. Would cause her to flinch? I suppose from all the consecutive hits that it allowed me to get a few more in on occasion. While the damage was not super high, it added up pretty fast. Then going into that spirit mode thing helped boost the damage output even more.

I had an item that would give me a pretty audible sound when I was near those little kodama spirits. At least Im guessing thats what it did judging from the description, so with that thing constantly equipped managed to find them all fairly easily when was wandering all over the map.
The Kodama weren't particularly difficult to find in the demo. However, that item you found will probably help a lot with the full game.

Jiraiya

So we Europeans have to wait untill thursday? Thought I could get it tomorrow, kinda sucks as I wont have much time the coming weeks :/

mcz117chief

Lol it didn't have to be that one, but yeah thanks for being cool with everything, I'm sorry the OT got derailed and only talked about the subtitle. Hopefully we can get to actually talk about the game in the thread for the game lol.

Nah, man, it's a nice gif. Thank you for your contribution :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I feel like I've asked this several times during the beta OT but I'm curious if there's any other spear users around. I had a lot of trouble with this game in the alpha but the spear moveset really worked for me in the last chance trial.

What moves did you find the most useful? The mid stance poke is great, and the light attack is useful too. High stance light is very good and leads into an extremely damaging, but ki-intensive combo. I found no purpose for high stance strong, and I'm not sure what the low stance attacks are for. I barely got into the advanced moves like the vault, but it seems cool. Just curious how everyone else was using the weapon since it's what I'll be focusing on at least at first.

I just mostly used the spear to mess with enemies when they took up specific stances. Since it seems to be the most effective for that. Well against humanoid opponents anyways.

I think? the low stance was to mess with the enemy when they took a high stance. Though for example in the vid below shows how mobile it also allows you to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaPhrdYB7A4

The Kodama weren't particularly difficult to find in the demo. However, that item you found will probably help a lot with the full game.

It drove me insane when I heard the chime but did not see where the hell the kodama was immediately due to me being on the opposite side of an object or wall lol.

h00jraq

Neo Member
Anyone else think about watching Seven Samurai by Akiro Kurosawa? Do You know any other great Samurai movies (or anime)?

Parakeetman

Anyone else think about watching Seven Samurai by Akiro Kurosawa? Do You know any other great Samurai movies (or anime)?

13 Assassins.

13-assassins-poster-AU.jpg

Big Brett

Sorry for the lame post, but I'm a die-hard Souls fan who goes radio silent on each of them, trying to be as blind as possible for my first playthrough. I know nothing about Nioh, should I dive in?

Syntsui

Oh my god at the thread name. This is more controversy than any bad possible review.

Anyway, I hope they deliver my copy tomorrow, I just can't wait anymore.

It's almost here ahhhh :)

After playing the first demo and then beating the Twilight mission in the Last Chance Trial, I'm now much more encouraged than I was when I started playing. Beating the Ogress on Twilight was one of the most satisfying moments I've had in gaming recently, up there with say beating the Cleric Beast in Bloodborne or killing Atheon in Destiny's Vault of Glass raid for the first time.

I can see some magical moments in my future with Nioh, even if it kicks my butt at times!

Parakeetman

Sorry for the lame post, but I'm a die-hard Souls fan who goes radio silent on each of them, trying to be as blind as possible for my first playthrough. I know nothing about Nioh, should I dive in?

Combat is honestly better than souls, due to the fact that its more fast paced, plus the 3 stances you can take with your melee weapons.

If you enjoyed the souls style gameplay you should fit in with this for the most part. Just understand that the combat mechanics and flow is much different. Skills are unlocked via skill points too which adds to the amount of flexibility you have with your character.

mcz117chief

Why shouldn't you? What makes you think you wouldn't enjoy this one? Are you afraid of something?

After a few fights I started to just stay super close to her and went ham with the kusarigama whenever there was an opening. Would cause her to flinch? I suppose from all the consecutive hits that it allowed me to get a few more in on occasion. While the damage was not super high, it added up pretty fast. Then going into that spirit mode thing helped boost the damage output even more.

I had an item that would give me a pretty audible sound when I was near those little kodama spirits. At least Im guessing thats what it did judging from the description, so with that thing constantly equipped managed to find them all fairly easily when was wandering all over the map.

I didnt even realize that you are supposed to fight her face to face. I kept running away which worked only when she wasnt doing her multiple slashes attack. So sounds like you figured out the battle well.

Oh I didnt realize there was an item for those kodama spirits. I kept just looking at every corner and hitting stuff. Will keep the look out for that.

Big Brett

Combat is honestly better than souls, due to the fact that its more fast paced, plus the 3 stances you can take with your melee weapons.

If you enjoyed the souls style gameplay you should fit in with this for the most part. Just understand that the combat mechanics and flow is much different. Skills are unlocked via skill points too which adds to the amount of flexibility you have with your character.

Yeah, this sounds great. Thank you!

Why shouldn't you? What makes you think you wouldn't enjoy this one? Are you afraid of something?

No reason, I just haven't really read anything about it until today stumbling upon the thread with IGN's final review.

Think I'm gonna go ahead and preload it!

Parakeetman

storafötter;229819202 said:
I didnt even realize that you are supposed to fight her face to face. I kept running away which worked only when she wasnt doing her multiple slashes attack. So sounds like you figured out the battle well.

Oh I didnt realize there was an item for that. I kept just looking at every corner and hitting stuff. Will keep the look out for that.

It was one of those extra random perks that items sometimes have on them. Forgot what the exact name was called though.

Danke! Naked runs all day, errday! It's the best way to play this game once you're feeling confident lol.

Reminds me of the maniacs who play monster hunter naked and kill things by throwing only rocks and kicking lol.

I just read that you can't play coop until you or both players have beaten the mission? That seems incredibly backwards. Anyone hear anything on this?
All the information on online:
You can summon another player to help you at any Shrine. Select the "Summon Visitor" option and offer an Ochoko. You will not lose an Ochoko if no player is summoned, but you cannot summon another player without one. After doing this continue playing as summoning will happen automatically. It can take quite a long time currently to summon someone.

Matchmaking in Nioh is how the player is summoned to assist another. From the general overview screen select a Mission and hit the Matchmaking button to help another player in their world in that Mission. You can modify several different parameters for matching to find the ideal partner for your goals.

Online co-op is available via "Torii Gates" and Ochoko cups, making it so single player campaigners may summon in visitors from another world at a shrine. Similar to souls, the session ends if the host dies, but if the summoned ally is defeated another one may be brought in. Gestures and cosmetics are available to make this experience more unique, and players can trade equipment.

Another feature is designed specifically for co-op, with more challenging missions under the "Yokai Realm with a Companion" banner. In this mode, players can take on missions with more powerful enemies and Yokai as a duo, and share in a survival bar that depletes with each death and may be refilled slightly at shrines. Players in this mode can revive each other a limited number of times, making for entertaining moments.

As far as what is written here, there's no requirements other than the items needed to summon someone or being summoned yourself.

Parakeetman

Yeah, this sounds great. Thank you!

No reason, I just haven't really read anything about it until today stumbling upon the thread with IGN's final review.

Think I'm gonna go ahead and preload it!

Btw the following footage is from one of the godlike action gamers on youtube, think he has a gaf account too but its from the final beta. Should give you a fairly good example of what high level gameplay can look like with the combat and movement. So if you dont mind "spoilers" in the sense of seeing things from a different part in the game give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0vGOCTwyg

bigmac996

The game is excellent, I've put several hours into it so far. That said, I just fought the
Giant Centipede
, and it was easily up there with the worst bosses in Souls games, just clunky and not fun. The rest of the game is brilliant still.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Reminds me of the maniacs who play monster hunter naked and kill things by throwing only rocks and kicking lol.
Hahah. The ultimate Nioh run is a level 1 naked run bare hands only. Let's goooo!
I'm expecting XLHGladiator or one of our resident Nioh beasts to have this done within a week or two.

Parakeetman

I love how the crows do a
"RE4" and drop shit if you attack them lol.

Hahah. The ultimate Nioh run is a level 1 naked run bare hands only. Let's goooo!
I'm expecting XLHGladiator or one of our resident Nioh beasts to have this done within a week or two.

That would be something to watch indeed. I need to look up vids on that since I never tested out bare hands myself. Though did see someone 1 shot the special boss in the final demo with the barehanded sword counter. That was highly amusing.

1 shot naked besides the gloves vs. Muneshige from the final demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5rZf9HN-AY

naked vs. Muneshige normal fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEybyQ5u48

GHG

Probably won't be able to get this until the weekend but is it possible to change to control scheme to be more like the soulsborne games?

I still havent finished bloodborne and it might be a bit jarring going back and forth between the two.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I love how the crows do a
"RE4" and drop shit if you attack them lol.

That would be something to watch indeed. I need to look up vids on that since I never tested out bare hands myself. Though did see someone 1 shot the special boss in the final demo with the barehanded sword counter. That was highly amusing.
I'm nuuucleaaar!!!

So damn good.

Parakeetman

haha yep thats it alright. Thought that was one of the cooler features for going bare handed.

storafötter;229819764 said:
Gotta say that it is interesting how different the perks can be like. I thought it was mostly stat and damage bonus on the perks.

Yeah I had so much garbage I constantly picked up I saw all sorts of weird stuff for perks.

lol guess that means we can put you down for a day 1 sale

Alo0oy

Banned
I paused the download when I was using twitch and I forgot to resume it.

Fuck. I hope it's ready before I can launch the game.

MKIL65

It might be too early to discuss speedruns, but does anyone think it's possible to beat the game under 2 hours?

Each boss has a lot health (which I like) but that will eat up a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom