• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

FrankWza

Ok so I'm jumping in a bit late (game is downloading now!) any tips for a new starter? Best builds etc?

It's best to mess around with different weapons and armor to see what fits. As far as stats focus on ki and put the rest on the type you want to be. Maybe add some to living weapon. You can also respec so its not a big deal. Maybe try spear and sword early since duals are weak early on. And equip an amrita boosting charm.

I'm loving this game so far, still very early on as I have only really been playing a mission a night. Really like that the combat system especially that once you get the ki pulse down it quickly goes from being slow and methodical to being very close to Ninja Gaiden but with so much more on top. I normally hate enemies that are damage sponges but as I have found out many times you have a large set of tools at your disposal so if you experiment you can often negate that and it's really your decision if you want the fights to be drawn out or not, strangely I prefer them to be longer. Last night I accidentally one shotted a one-eyed oni, but was too knackered to dig much further to see if that was the case with others, a glitch, specific to that one or because it was charging.

BigEmil

Obama Kodama

nGE2fUd.jpg

Glorious need this as an avatar
From Nioh subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/66fcdt/i_present_to_you_obama_kodama/?sort=confidence

I'm in the same boat. That error is really something it seems. I'm on PS4 Pro and it happens with Nioh, Rocket League and Lego City with me at totally random times. Started a week ago or so. Mostly after longer sessions after 1-2 hours or so. Makes everything unplayable as it is unpredictable. I contacted support and have to send it in. They are aware of this shit. The error is also one of the predefined reasons you can give for the request. Pro is (gladly) still under warranty of course.

Is boost mode turned on?

Hello everyone! This is my first post :-D

I've been obsessing over this game ever since it came out. LOVE it! I noticed that nobody ever talks about groundfire traps. They are awesome. You can knock any human enemy on their back for a final blow by leading them into one. Super useful for high Final Blow damage builds. I even managed to knock ninja experts down simultaneously with them. You can also use them in conjunction with shadowround talismans to get a high chance to proc a free use without consuming your supply. Give them a try!

Espada

I've been obsessing over this game ever since it came out. LOVE it! I noticed that nobody ever talks about groundfire traps. They are awesome. You can knock any human enemy on their back for a final blow by leading them into one. Super useful for high Final Blow damage builds. I even managed to knock Whats her Face and Hanzo down simultaneously with them. You can also use them in conjunction with shadowround talismans to get a high chance to proc a free use without consuming your supply. Give them a try!

Damn, I'd completely forgotten about the groundfire traps. I still remember seeing a video of someone cheesing Tachibana with it. Mind you this is before the latest patch.

Damn, I'd completely forgotten about the groundfire traps. I still remember seeing a video of someone cheesing Tachibana with it. Mind you this is before the latest patch.

They are really great. The only time they dont work is if an enemy is int he middle of performing a skill of some kind. But its easy enough to work around that. If you wanna see just how OP they can be do the Marobashi boss rush mission with all the weapon experts and use them. Just keep three down at all times and spread them a bit apart and you can guide them into them and pick them apart one by one without ever getting hit.

I've been obsessing over this game ever since it came out. LOVE it! I noticed that nobody ever talks about groundfire traps. They are awesome. You can knock any human enemy on their back for a final blow by leading them into one. Super useful for high Final Blow damage builds. I even managed to knock Whats her Face and Hanzo down simultaneously with them. You can also use them in conjunction with shadowround talismans to get a high chance to proc a free use without consuming your supply. Give them a try!

Whoah spoiler there dude. Seriously, that is fucked up. I had no idea
Hanzo
would end up as an enemy.

Did all the sub-missions, constant Co-Op and shit too diligently and burnt myself out during that
blue/red flag trench war
stage. It was shockingly ugly and pretty boring and I just fell off.

Getting back in this weekend to finally finish it. Need some better swords...

Whoah spoiler there dude. Seriously, that is fucked up. I had no idea
Hanzo
would end up as an enemy.

Well if that's what you concluded from my post then clearly it's not as much of a spoiler as you seem to think. Besides the mentioned mission was part of the recent content update and as such was detailed pretty extensively already so I'm not really seeing how it could be considered a spoiler. But if you feel that strongly about it I'll edit his name out of it.

How does CoOp work in this game? Can you CoOp with friends? Regardless of level?

You can set a password in your internet options to be summoned by a friend in a regular level using the tori gate option but I think you must have completed said level yourself.

There's also a more dedicated coop mode called "Yokai Realm with a companion" in the tori gate menu. In this mode you have a shared life bar that depletes when either you or your friend die but you can revive each other and partially replenish said bar by resting at shrines in the level. This mode also slightly tweaks enemy placement as well. However I believe that both parties must complete the level normally in order to be able to play it in this mode.

Level differences do not matter as you are scaled roughly to the host's level upon joining.

Hopefully that answers your question

Sarcasm

Bit the bullet and just went all out and got the deluxe.

Any tips? Like stat wise/leveling?

Are upgraded materials for upper/higher stuff really limited and finite?

orkanamn

Banned
Anyone else get "information could not be obtained because of a network error"? Co-op works fine. :S

Edit: in the hidden teahouse..
Edit2: nvm ofc it updates after I posted. Have been getting the error for 3+ hrs. :b

Edit3: the error is back lolwtf

Memento

I am in the last region and I am not seeing how this game is easier than the Souls games (I have been hearing that a lot here on GAF). It is very challenging.

I am loving it btw. The combat is sublime and the level design is incredible.

Deku Tree

I am in the last region and I am not seeing how this game is easier than the Souls games (I have been hearing that a lot here on GAF). It is very challenging.

I am loving it btw. The combat is sublime and the level design is incredible.

Well you can over level in Nioh and use OP builds in a way that is much harder to do in Souls.

Anyone else get "information could not be obtained because of a network error"? Co-op works fine. :S

Edit: in the hidden teahouse..
Edit2: nvm ofc it updates after I posted. Have been getting the error for 3+ hrs. :b

Edit3: the error is back lolwtf

Yea I'm getting it too. Must be a problem with their network.

Sarcasm

So I think I got to the first boss.

I haven't spent anything in weapon skills or the ninja/o something. I kind of suck at ki pulse and the weapon I am using seems to have skills all based on it. I already pumped skill to 15.

Nor have I spent my title points. One point per side, what is best?

Nor have I spent my title points. One point per side, what is best?

All of the title bonuses are pretty useful, especially the Amrita and Gold gain ones.

Others, like the VS Yokai Realm and Elemental Damage Taken Reduction will be more based on how much you feel you need them.

Goldboy

Finally picked this up a couple days ago and defeated (first region optional boss spoiler)
the real Tachibana Muneshige
. I'm really liking the game so far, but I'm not a fan of how reaction-based some of the bosses are. I love Souls combat because it's slow enough for me to read enemy and boss tells on my first encounter with them, which means that if I die it's because I screwed up pretty badly. Nioh feels a bit more "trial-and-error" in that regard, since it often feels like bosses have such quick/confusing animations on some of their attacks that your only hope is to have fast enough reflexes to dodge, or die repeatedly until you understand their tells.

It's definitely possible that I just need to "get gud" though. That minor nitpick aside, I love this so far.

Although I am wondering if the environments get more interesting as the game progresses? Many of the early-game environments are samey caves and caverns, and I can see that getting old eventually.

Sarcasm

Guys I can't beat the first boss (non tutorial one).

Any way to make dodging more tight? I know you need to double tap to actually roll, but everything feels slow.

He lifts his left hand, I dodge to my left (his right). Not roll as I need to stay close. I keep getting hit by things...unseen things.

I have to take a break this is frustrating.

BigEmil

Any way to make dodging more tight? I know you need to double tap to actually roll, but everything feels slow.

He lifts his left hand, I dodge to my left (his right). Not roll as I need to stay close. I keep getting hit by things...unseen things.

Is your armour overall weight in green or blue? If it's above that you'll be slow also it's possible to dodge all his attacks you'll get used to him slowly

i normally don't play these type of games, but this year has so much variety that i find myself playing games i typically don't play. I am having lots of fun, and finally beat "the ocean roars again" I am level 45, but there is a sub mission that is i think level 27, it is a one on one fight, but this guy fucking wrecks me. If i block his attacks i lose my stamina. I am not sure if my stats are messed up, or if he is a tough fight.

So far, the boss in the boat (1st real boss) took 5 tries, the vampire lady took me 5-6 tries, but the most frustrating for me so far has been the boss fight on the dock near the ocean. That one took me about 10 tries.

I do have a few questions and i hope i can get some advice.

1. I use dual blades and a spear, and have been using amrita to level up skill, a few points into magic, and some into stamina", did i screw up? I don't really play games with "builds".

2. What armor should i be using? light, medium?

Sarcasm

Is your armour overall weight in green or blue? If it's above that you'll be slow also it's possible to dodge all his attacks you'll get used to him slowly

It is green.

I also haven't really spent weapon skills. I did on dual swords when enemy depletes their ki/stam.

Anything you recommend?

BigEmil

It is green.

I also haven't really spent weapon skills. I did on dual swords when enemy depletes their ki/stam.

Anything you recommend?
Hmm i'm not good at giving tips but maybe would be best for you to look up some veteran player tackling this boss on YouTube see some of the many ways how they handle it and when and where how to dodge etc

When he does the charging spinning attack go left with him then at the right time press dodge to left that way you won't ever get attacked from that movesets, also low stance is best for dodging and mid stance is best for blocking maybe switch between etc sorry if my tips suck lol maybe someone else can help you better than me

Sarcasm

I have like 20 points to spend in skills -.-

Oh I switch between low & mid. I thought by staying infront of him he wouldn't spin.

It just kinda annoys that I have to farm healing items and can only hold 8 >.<

BigEmil

Oh I switch between low & mid. I thought by staying infront of him he wouldn't spin.

Oh the skills just spend it how you like for your preferred weapons read descriptions and check movie with triangle of each skill and the chain with it see which will be most helpful you think will be for you

Sarcasm

Oh the skills just spend it how you like for your preferred weapons read descriptions and check movie with triangle of each skill and the chain with it see which will be most helpful you think will be for you

Yea the weapons I choose seems to be all about ki pulsing >.>

What about ninja or the other one?

orkanamn

Banned
Yea the weapons I choose seems to be all about ki pulsing >.>

What about ninja or the other one?
Scroll down. Low stance skills at the bottom, med stance in the middle, high stance above that and ki pulsing/other skills at the top.

I use both ninja and omnyo (atm mostly ninja) but I found omnyo to be more useful in the beginning. Like the slow talisman and different buffs.

Sarcasm

Scroll down. Low stance skills at the bottom, med stance in the middle, high stance above that and ki pulsing/other skills at the top.

I use both ninja and omnyo (atm mostly ninja) but I found omnyo to be more useful in the beginning. Like the slow talisman and different buffs.

Can you reset skills?

i normally don't play these type of games, but this year has so much variety that i find myself playing games i typically don't play. I am having lots of fun, and finally beat "the ocean roars again" I am level 45, but there is a sub mission that is i think level 27, it is a one on one fight, but this guy fucking wrecks me. If i block his attacks i lose my stamina. I am not sure if my stats are messed up, or if he is a tough fight.

So far, the boss in the boat (1st real boss) took 5 tries, the vampire lady took me 5-6 tries, but the most frustrating for me so far has been the boss fight on the dock near the ocean. That one took me about 10 tries.

I do have a few questions and i hope i can get some advice.

1. I use dual blades and a spear, and have been using amrita to level up skill, a few points into magic, and some into stamina", did i screw up? I don't really play games with "builds".

2. What armor should i be using? light, medium?

Skill is your main stat for your dual swords and Body is your main damage stat for your spear. Stamina lets you wear heavier armor without slowing down. As far as what armor you should wear thats up to your playstyle. Light armor allows you to move much faster and consume less stamina when dodging but takes high ki damage whilst blocking. Heavier armor allows you to take much less ki damage while blocking but in exchange you move slower. Its up to you which suits your play style more. One key point of advice: it is very much worth investing enough points in spirit to gain all the perks from your guardian spirit. Try to select a guardian spirit that compliments your playstyle well.

If you can explain how you like to play the game then we could perhaps give you more detailed advice on how to build and loadout your character.

YOu are given a certain number of free healing items on death that corresponds to the number of Kodama you have found in the area. The more kodama the more free healing items you spawn with when you die.

Can you reset skills?

Yes you can. YOu can buy the item to do it form the blacksmith. Its a book. I forget what its called at the moment.

With that boss a lot of the moves you can just step to the left or right, others it is easier to run rather than dodge as it uses less ki and can be in more control of the distance. Also like with bloodborne it is often better to dodge towards the enemies left or right so you end up behind them rather than backwards or the sides if they use vertical attacks, the horizontal attacks often reach to the back in Nioh though so better to dodge backwards with them. Pretty much everything can be blocked as well.

If you use the dual swords in low stance and apply a status effect item to it you can very quickly get the full effect onto the enemy you are fighting comparative to other weapons. The status effects work by filling the little icon that appears below the enemies health, it wont cause any extra damage until it is filled but once it is it will be applied until it depletes and you can keep it active by continuing to hit the enemy. You could use this to kite if you like but you can combine it with the higher stances, ki dodging and be very aggressive to quickly defeat enemies because you can put close to a thousand damage per second when you would normally be putting down about 150 per second (numbers are different depending upon the level). I have found this to be very effective later on combined with a high stance elemental katana, even when under levelled.

Got the platinum yesterday and I gotta say... as somebody that has enjoyed the Souls games since the beginning, I think I prefer Nioh.

Now I just gotta go try and plat Nier.

I picked up the game late and have now beaten the last mission
The mission before you go back to England

Fantastic game, a lot of fun to play.

I am typically an axe guy so played the game with that as my main, now that I have finished the story I wanted to read up for the best builds and look into divine equipment.

Spent about 2 hours yesterday farming the Invincible training mission to get the Kaido Axe and armour smithing texts (Considering on average it took me about 1:30 from loading to finished I must have done it quite a few times). Unfortunately I need a bunch of Ogress claws to forge some divine Kaido armour so im now going to have to farm that.

I di also re-spec my character after beating the final boss to better fit the axe build but its been a little difficult at first since my previous spec had my stamina high so it now feels like im running out really quick and cant run for shit lol. I have also given some points to magic etc (Which I didn’t really bother with during the game) so I now have the Kakki scrolls etc to help out.

I just want to get my armour built so I can beat the last mission and move onto new game plus.

How about the slow? I am assuming its the sloth talismen.

Or ki one?

If you want to make the game very easy then use sloth but I feel it takes a lot away from what makes the game fun as you can stack pretty much every status you can carry on them and go to town. By the time it becomes available you will have a good feel for the rhythm of the game and shouldn't really need it.

The ki hampering one can be good for faster human enemies, it won't stop them from taking you out in a few hits but it will just give you more opportunities to attack if you are struggling with the pace.

I like poison the most with the duel swords. Still feels like there is a level of skill required to use it and if it will be effective or not is really down to you. Fire builds up very fast as well and does a decent amount of damage.

Top Bottom