• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

I doubt I will subject myself to WotD :p

Is there any farmable source of spirit iron chunks for reforging? I'm running low

Also a hearty LOL at the Maria fight. Yeah TN can't design fair bosses to save their lives. Sloth abuse is basically necessary. Meh.

Izuna

Banned
Also a hearty LOL at the Maria fight. Yeah TN can't design fair bosses to save their lives. Sloth abuse is basically necessary. Meh.

That girl has like TWO attacks that are ultra punishable.

One where she does the projectile once. And another when she does it twice.

Unlike Ninja Gaiden fights, Maria will likely have a lot of health so you gotta fight for longer in this basic strat, which is what makes it feel unfair. But considering it is the last boss in the DLC, it's fine.

I wish that Nioh had Ninja Gaiden 2's boss stagger mechanics. Like, punishing certain attacks did big Ki damage or something. Nioh seems like it can't decide if it wants to make a boss trivial with Ki weak spots, or make that fight one of attrition where the Ki never goes down.

Unlike Ninja Gaiden fights, Maria will likely have a lot of health so you gotta fight for longer in this basic strat, which is what makes it feel unfair. But considering it is the last boss in the DLC, it's fine.

I wish that Nioh had Ninja Gaiden 2's boss stagger mechanics. Like, punishing certain attacks did big Ki damage or something. Nioh seems like it can't decide if it wants to make a boss trivial with Ki weak spots, or make that fight one of attrition where the Ki never goes down.

Yeah I ended up beating her on my third try but it wasn't a particularly enjoyable fight. Even when I depleted her Ki it felt like she was recovering from the stagger almost instantly before I could capitalize on it at all. Very irritating and inconsistent

Caim

You can also parry the attack where she flips and slashes (something like that) and you she's wide open during and after the big projectile slash.

fuck maria.

This boss is cancer to my axe tank build that relies on breaking ki

Edit: beat her by using a lightning build and some deinvigorate talismans. she never summoned her living weapon.

Izuna

Banned
So I think I'm closing in on the end of the game (I'm level 88 atm)

When's the best time to do the dlc? Is the dlc any good?

Imo, it's worth doing all the missions on normal. You can then play NG+ if you like.

Also, if you're doing he side quests, you have quite a bit left if you've not done all the main quests yet.

xclk07

Anyone else keeping an eye out for the Future Press guide when it releases... or... at this point, IF it releases? Amazon had a date of 5/31, but has now changed it to Dec. 31st (obv. a placeholder). Last time Future Press had anything to say about it was 4/4 on Twitter where they said "We'll make a full announcement about our plans for Nioh very soon".

(Also waiting on that Last Guardian art book from them... :-( )

Baalzebup

I don't know if I suck or what, but this mission kicked my fucking ass. I'm lvl 107
https://youtu.be/9-K44ISHi6s
Meeting on the other shore
The mission is doable at that level and the mission level isn't quite the suggested level you should be at in the first place. The mission levels can get over 600 in the last difficulty and the player level cap is now at 400.

In general, that mission is all about spacing and separating the two to work on the big O while dodging the other ones attacks. Since there is a certain rhythm to it, I would suggest avoiding the use of sloth as was done in that video. The weird timings you can get when the sloth wears off can do far more harm than it helps. It also included some ass-backwards tactics like keeping the distance from Y at some really inopportune moments, like when she was actually put to zero Ki state.

Deku Tree

^ yeah but you don't need it anyway.

Hopefully the guide comes out after all the DLC is released so it doesn't become irrelevant super fast.

Is there anticipated release window for the next DLC? Going through WotS now but it's getting kinda boring :p my Odachi is feeling rather powerful, had no trouble taking down Lvl 190 Warrior of the West as a 155.

Netto-kun

Ah, looks like the season pass is 30% off in Europe...which reminds that I still need to beat the first mission of the Tohoku part.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was checking out during most of the cutscnes in the early regions, but now it's actually gotten better in region 5
with the warlords gathering and facing off.
This area is my favorite, with both the
burning village and foggy battlefield
as pretty cool settings. I do like how the level design takes the more close-knit DkS levels as reference and not the wide open ones. In 2 and 3 I was starting to get tired of the wide open forest areas, but every level in Nioh is tight and manageable to explore fully, the way I prefer.

I've only used the katana and spears so far, but I tried out the double katanas and that's my go to weapon for now. Slice n dice all day with the low stance. Nothing's really challenging anymore, but I'm still having lots of fun.

Also doubting whether I should get the season pass, but I'll hold out for now. My end goal is the plat and that may take some time yet, and I may not feel like playing the dlc right away after I finished the main goal.

Is there anticipated release window for the next DLC? Going through WotS now but it's getting kinda boring :p my Odachi is feeling rather powerful, had no trouble taking down Lvl 190 Warrior of the West as a 155.

I would imagine two or three months.

It took that number of time for this DLC to come out, but I imagine they would put out smaller content every month

Baalzebup

For someone who has used Daiba-washi as a Guardian Spirit for a long ass time, I've been very slow to explore the uses of its special attack. A whirlwind with a surprisingly large AoE that seems guaranteed to knock any human character on their ass, or in other words, a guaranteed opportunity to shank someone with a Final Blow + a few hits in the back if they survive. All human bosses bow down before it, even those Living Weapon mode so long as you hit them *after* they are done with the start up. Bonus points in that they lose the Living Weapon automatically as well. WotD DLC end boss can be essentially locked in to a loop where they buff up, you knock 'em down, stab and give them a bit of space so they initiate the buff all over again.

Now I'm running around with 9 Guardian talismans prepared, living the thug life.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
For someone who has used Daiba-washi as a Guardian Spirit for a long ass time, I've been very slow to explore the uses of its special attack. A whirlwind with a surprisingly large AoE that seems guaranteed to knock any human character on their ass, or in other words, a guaranteed opportunity to shank someone with a Final Blow + a few hits in the back if they survive. All human bosses bow down before it, even those Living Weapon mode so long as you hit them *after* they are done with the start up. Bonus points in that they lose the Living Weapon automatically as well. WotD DLC end boss can be essentially locked in to a loop where they buff up, you knock 'em down, stab and give them a bit of space so they initiate the buff all over again.

Now I'm running around with 9 Guardian talismans prepared, living the thug life.

I've tried this one for a while after reading your post, but I just can't let go of the bull. Starting region 6 now and with a minimal stat investment (11) it's hard to beat Fuse-Ushi for me. +200 life, guard ki reduction and life recovery from amrita makes it hard to say goodbye to him. I've been using that spirit for pretty much the entire game.

Haven't bought the guardian talisman spells yet, need to try those out.

Before I'm starting reg. 6 I'm replaying some of the levels with Kodama sense to find them all before moving on. Pretty useful, didn't have to use a guide yet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How much Stamina do you need to wear a full set of the Master Swordsman's? Some of those skills look appealing, but it's so heavy...

Anyone?

I think I can almost manage 4 pieces of armour to unlock the +30% to Sign of the Cross, if I skip the torso, but it's still a bit too heavy at around 20 stamina...

Deku Tree

Anyone?

I think I can almost manage 4 pieces of armour to unlock the +30% to Sign of the Cross, if I skip the torso, but it's still a bit too heavy at around 20 stamina...

It depends since str also reduces weight percentage. Also you can now roll significant weight reduction perks on I think all pieces of armor. Weight reduction 15% would help a lot. Also what agility are you going for. Stamina scales with Odachi and axe too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't use odachi or axes, and I don't care much about agility so long as I'm in the green.

I'm aware of the weight reduction perks but I'd rather not have to rely on those...

My str is fairly low, 16 maybe?

Deku Tree

I don't use odachi or axes, and I don't care much about agility so long as I'm in the green.

I'm aware of the weight reduction perks but I'd rather not have to rely on those...

My str is fairly low, 16 maybe?

Well weight reduction perks are your best option if you don't want to have high stamina.

Backup your save then do a respec and check how much stamina you need to be green. That's the only way to know.

Any details on what's in the 1.1 patch? Just saw my PS4 updated with it.

BUG FIXES
Fixed a bug that would cause searches in Online Multiplayer to occasionally stop yielding results.
Fixed a bug that prevented queued commands from working when using skills buffed by "Enlightenment" or "Awakening" multiple times in a row. Also shortened the delay when using multiple skills in a row.
Fixed a bug in which Visitors' skill items would not be replenished when the Host prays at a shrine.
Fixed a bug in which human enemies would sink into the ground during online play after being launched up by the Guardian Spirit "Daiba-Washi".

Source

Yep, I've been using it for quite some time, you can't make human boss fights easier than that lol

Baalzebup

Yep, I've been using it for quite some time, you can't make human boss fights easier than that lol
It made all the advice on how to beat human boss X or Y retroactively hilarious since Daiba-Washi + Guardian talismans is the superior solution to all of them, barring the right and proper gittin' gud. Sloth is weaksauce in comparison. I'm pretty happy about getting all the of the crusher titles before I discovered this, since it really does trivialize any of the human bosses that you can read even a bit to know the openings to cast the talisman.
I've tried this one for a while after reading your post, but I just can't let go of the bull. Starting region 6 now and with a minimal stat investment (11) it's hard to beat Fuse-Ushi for me. +200 life, guard ki reduction and life recovery from amrita makes it hard to say goodbye to him. I've been using that spirit for pretty much the entire game.

Haven't bought the guardian talisman spells yet, need to try those out.

Before I'm starting reg. 6 I'm replaying some of the levels with Kodama sense to find them all before moving on. Pretty useful, didn't have to use a guide yet.
Different priorities and all that. I've been favoring Daiba-Washi for the combination of Luck and cheaper evasion moves for the most part. As of now, Using Daiba-Washi as primary and Ito-Kuri as secondary is the best passive Luck booster available from the Guardian Spirit side. The Guardian talismans are pretty great since their effect changes with your active spirit. Some of them have damn good special attacks.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It made all the advice on how to beat human boss X or Y retroactively hilarious since Daiba-Washi + Guardian talismans is the superior solution to all of them, barring the right and proper gittin' gud. Sloth is weaksauce in comparison. I'm pretty happy about getting all the of the crusher titles before I discovered this, since it really does trivialize any of the human bosses that you can read even a bit to know the openings to cast the talisman.

Different priorities and all that. I've been favoring Daiba-Washi for the combination of Luck and cheaper evasion moves for the most part. As of now, Using Daiba-Washi as primary and Ito-Kuri as secondary is the best passive Luck booster available from the Guardian Spirit side. The Guardian talismans are pretty great since their effect changes with your active spirit. Some of them have damn good special attacks.

I just watched a vid on this and I'm starting to see your point. So the knockout effect works on every human boss? I'll def. try this the next time I reach a human boss. Now I should look out for weapons that do more damage on a knockout/finisher hit. Don't know how that perk's called exactly.

Baalzebup

I just watched a vid on this and I'm starting to see your point. So the knockout effect works on every human boss? I'll def. try this the next time I reach a human boss. Now I should look out for weapons that do more damage on a knockout/finisher hit. Don't know how that perk's called exactly.
I think I've seen it been called Finishing Blow, Killing blow and maybe Final Blow. Honestly, there are way too many names for the same thing but it always means the same "smack 'em while they are down" attack.

And yes, every single human opponent eats it, regardless of what buff states they are in, except when they are in the process of activating Living Weapon or some other similar buff up state. I've yet to find a human opponent who doesn't go down with it and like I mentioned previously, them getting knocked down will always also remove that buffed state as well.

There may be some obscure Hyper-Armor moments I've yet to test the attack on, but for the most part, it seems fail-proof barring those previously mentioned Living Weapon activation sequences.

This game's level design... leaves a lot to be desired.

What exactly are the parameters for refashioning armor? I'm trying to make mine look like a certain set and that set is not in the options even though I have it.

That's a nice change! I should get back into the game and try the DLC. Is it any good? How does it rank compared to Souls DLC? Is it as ambitious?

Was Sloth nerfed?

How so? I absolutely adored the levels up area 3 or 4.

They're extremely constrained and don't mesh well with the constant motion of combat. It's even worse when facing bigger Yokai or multiple enemies. The only area I've enjoyed is the first section of I think the 3rd one? Where's it's outside a temple. But then you go into the tomb and fuck it's awful.

sasliquid

Sorry to ask again but I'm tempted by the season pass.

Is the dlc good? Should I play it after the main game or is it playable anytime? When is the next dlc out?

Top Bottom