• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh: Unlocked framerate in menus causing extreme heat in Action mode [Update: no]

Rellik

I'm i crazy or don't all ps4 skus have overheat protection ie it says the system is too hot and is shutting down? That said I'm pretty sure the solder melted off my lan port on my launch ps4 before I upgraded to the pro.

Isn't that the Xbox One?

RexNovis

Banned
Have you tweeted anyone who can actually set things in motion for a patch, Rex?

The plan was to create a thread and then link them to a thread. Going to tweet at Tecmo Koei later once the thread gets more replies.

What i noticed when it does ramp up in the blacksmith area is that it doesnt stay at high fan speeds the whole time, it just speeds up then gradually lowers since its cooling off.

Mine stayed relatively high throughout the time spent in the menu. Granted it was especially loud at first and slowed down a bit but still much louder than at any point during gameplay. Hopefully leaving it running on the menu for an extended period of time hasnt done any permanent damage to my HW o_O It doesnt seem like it has though.

It would be odd for them to cap it in the PS4 pro settings and only the movie mode. And yes movie mode will be less stressful overall, are you playing at 1080p?

Well it certainly apears that menus arent stressing the hw whilst in movie mode. Very little fan noise to speak of at all. Yes I'm playing in movie mode on a 1080p set yes. But the set shoudlnt make a difference as movie mode just proved downsampling from whatever the native resolution would be.

The plan was to create a thread and then link them to a thread. Going to tweet and Tecmo Koei later once the thread gets more replies.

In that case, I'll chime in and say that my friend and I (both on Pros on Action mode) have noticed the fan suddenly flare up in the middle of longer inventory management sessions. To the point where I've now started inventory managing after every mission so that I can disassemble and be out of the blacksmith within 30-ish seconds.

I have a digital version but I dont see how that would make a difference.

Hah! Just a bit too realistic for my tastes. I'd rather my Pro not double as a space heater for added ambiance.
Worth asking cause te disc spinning might or might not have a factor in it.

FingerBang

Nice one OP! I think I actually heard my pro for the first time while using the blacksmith, was wondering where that weird noise was coming from all along!

Not good at all, we need a patch ASAP since I spend hours staring at the cute blacksmith.
Actually I just use the blacksmith a lot. Still cute though.

Carm

Well it certainly apears that menus arent stressing the hw whilst in movie mode. Very little fan noise to speak of at all. Yes I'm playing in movie mode on a 1080p set yes. But the set shoudlnt make a difference as movie mode just proved downsampling from whatever the native resolution would be.

Next time your in game, go the blacksmith and then go into the disassemble sub menu, that is where it is loudest for me. My PS4 going to just the blacksmith main screen, the fan gradually ramps up, not quiet but nothing like games Doom/UC4.

My very limited experience downsampling on the pc side, never made my gpu fan/s freak out like a uncapped framerate on a screen with 2d elements.

Looking at the disassemble and reforge screens I'm wondering how much that close up animated fire is contributing to the issue. Fan ramps back down backing out to the main BS menu.

Chakan

You're right. Everything is working as it should.

Actually, here, yes it is. I guess.

As many here said that the blacksmith made the fan go loud...I left the game there for about 20 minutes on Action Mode. Fan was still quiet after that.

I'm playing the disc version on a PS4 Pro CUH-7015B. Oh and I don't have air conditioner here. Room temperature is 24ºC/75ºF.

Veitsev

This is definitely a concern with boost mode. It should not affect most games as the majority are capped in some way. PC gamers have been dealing with this forever. Games like WoW will run at 100+FPS if you let them on modern hardware which can overheat your GPU. That it keeps happening in one area suggests its doing something particularly intensive but running it at stupid high FPS. The concern here is the less tech savvy doing what the OP did but not necessarily knowing/understanding what is happening and damaging their system.

HardRojo

Tweet Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo to have this patched, it should be a relatively easy fix tbh, luckily it was caught quickly after launch.

RexNovis

Banned
So took some pictures of the warping and this was the best of the bunch. You can sort of see the warping near the PlayStation symbol

Fm5pEmo.jpg

Try as I might I can't seem to get an angle where the slight indentation from the warping on my Pro is really that visible. Like I said it's very minor but can be felt relatively easily. I guess y'all will have to take me at my word that it's there. I don't really have anything to gain by making it up regardless. I just hope TK and TN release a patch to address the situation sooner than later.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's extremely bizarre and seems impossible to me simply because Nioh leaves vertical sync engaged at all times. For this to be an issue, the menus would have to operate with v-sync disabled which WOULD cause the frame-rate to jump sky high. As it stands, however, this isn't the case - v-sync is always engaged so the frame-rate should never exceed 60 frames per second.

When this has happened on the PC, it was always an issue in cases where users disabled v-sync.

If you're running into heat issues with the system, it's not likely tied to the menu or anything specific like that. It seems more like a general system fault to me.

RexNovis

Banned
That's extremely bizarre and seems impossible to me simply because Nioh leaves vertical sync engaged at all times. For this to be an issue, the menus would have to operate with v-sync disabled which WOULD cause the frame-rate to jump sky high. As it stands, however, this isn't the case - v-sync is always engaged so the frame-rate should never exceed 60 frames per second.

When this has happened on the PC, it was always an issue in cases where users disabled v-sync.

If you're running into heat issues with the system, it's not likely tied to the menu or anything specific like that. It seems more like a general system fault to me.

So you've tested the frame rate on the the menus in game and it's staying at a locked figure? Well that's great to hear. Weird that it causes the fan to ramp up so much of the frame rate isn't spiking.

I tested it multiple times and on action mode my fan always kicked into high gear when entering the menus and slowed back down once exiting. Frame rate spiking seemed like the only logical conclusion to make based on the observations I made. Perhaps you're right and it is a HW fault. I guess I'll look into getting my Pro replaced then.

Ferr986

My Pro also gets crazy at the blacksmith menu. I dont know what it is but something is wrong with that. My console is generally silent apart from that.

So took some pictures of the warping and this was the best of the bunch. You can sort of see the warping near the PlayStation symbol

Try as I might I can't seem to get an angle where the slight indentation from the warping on my Pro is really that visible. Like I said it's very minor but can be felt relatively easily. I guess y'all will have to take me at my word that it's there. I don't really have anything to gain by making it up regardless. I just hope TK and TN release a patch to address the situation sooner than later.

Just saw this.

This shit is ridiculous. Gonna check my console after getting home. I swear if it's warped too, the game goes directly to the trash bin.

It's not a hardware issue , if you look here or other forums people are experiencing this too.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'd imagine the thermal limits on the hardware is not something a game can just circumvent, or am I wrong? It sounds like a hardware issue to me if it's actually warping your case.

Smidget

My Pro also gets crazy at the blacksmith menu. I dont know what it is but something is wrong with that. My console is generally silent apart from that.

Exact same issue here. Same problem with NBA 2K17 too. That's pretty much all I've heard it like that before.

I first noticed this happening in AC Unity back on my OG PS4. Any time I stayed in the menus for a while the system's fans would go into full turbo EX mode. Haven't played enough of Nioh to notice it yet, though.

This sounds like a hardware design issue, as long as the system was in the open. The hardware should be able to handle 100% load for extended periods. It maybe loud as hell, but it's something that's going to happen more often as a console gets toward the end of its commercial lifespan.

I remember the hooplah over Starcraft II. That's called inadequate cooling. Unlike that situation, most PS4 owners have no choice in the cooling system being used. I'd imagine the design was a deliberate decision to find balance between noise levels and cooling ability. Unfortunately, it's clearly caused some issues here. Still, it's something that can be patched as far as Nioh goes.

xrnzaaas

Unlocked framerate is a rare thing on the PS4, but a lot of 60fps titles had similar issues on the standard console (Doom is a perfect example). I'd start thinking about using your warranty, because nothing should happen even if the console is in the "jet engine mode".

Waaghals

Even if the game unlocked the frame rate that shouldn't cause it to have a meltdown.

An unlocked frame rate only means that the GPU would run at 99-100% utilization, which is completely possible and should be common.

The fact that the system gets hot enough to roast your casing suggest something is wrong.

In short: running a GPU at 100% usage is within operational parameters, and even if it couldn't handle it the system should shut down before it gets too hot.

Something is wrong with your console.

alexross

Neo Member
Yesterday I finished the first level. First time on blacksmith and the vent of my ps4pro skyrockets...
Seems a widespread problem.
I had a similar problem in AC Syndicate

mindsale

Playing on a Pro, terrified to disassemble my 500 stack of weapons clogging my inventory. Previously did not spend long at Blacksmith. Have not noticed noise or heat in excess.

I rarely hear my Pro, but it gets crazy loud when I visit the blacksmith. 3 friends of mine have the game and all of them mentioned this issue to me.

arttq

My regular ps4 gets also loud at the blacksmith. There is probably some computationally expensive effect there.

komorebi

My PS4 Pro ramps up in the blacksmith menus too, and it's definitely not my system. It's the game. Not sure why it does it, maybe rendering the fire at a higher resolution or something. Definitely wouldn't replace a system over something reported by nearly everyone playing Nioh.

Lucifon

The PS4 goes nuts on menus, I really don't understand it. It's as if Sony haven't put any kind of performance cap on the thing so it just completely maxes out when a menu is set to uncapped framerate.

Madchad

Playing on a Pro, terrified to disassemble my 500 stack of weapons clogging my inventory. Previously did not spend long at Blacksmith. Have not noticed noise or heat in excess.

Press square on any extras you want to keep in the items lists then go blacksmith press R2 then X does the lot in one go apart from the ones you locked beforehand and the ones you have on.

Never had any problem.

I just wish they fixed the camera stuttering while playing at 4K.

30 fps is fine, but with that camera stutter it's unplayable.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Something is definitely happening at the blacksmith in Nioh. My fans get very loud when I'm using it.

Also, my fans get really loud when the pre-rendered movie cutscenes play in Hitman and Mafia 3.

I assumed it was because the frame rate was unlocked during those movies.

I had a similar issue with a few PC games' title screens. There was one in particular... when it showed the AMD splash movie before the game started by GPU's fans went absolutely crazy, then as soon as the movie was done they went back to silent for the remainder of the game.

EDIT: Is there a way to enable "movie mode" when you're at the menu map thing before going into the blacksmith? Or can you only switch that from in-game (or was it only at the main menu?)

Thanks for the heads up OP. I'm at the first boss and so far haven't had to spend too much time in the menus. I'll be sure not to leave the game on in the menus. I have a PS4 pro now and I haven't heard the fans kick up much

Also this was an issue for me with MGS V. When I was in the helicopter between missions, my launch PS4 would spin up to the point where it was concerning. Sounded like it was going to break. I wonder if that game has a similar issue

So the blacksmith basically acts like how MGSV acts when you're in the helicopter?

Seems like it.

OP should have probably suspended his PS4 Pro when going out for an hour instead of leaving it on

Hahs

I'm surprised this is still a thing. Are devs not aware or not told about menu's left uncapped will push a GPU to render too much?
It's a result of limited testing...the problem is built into the hardware and I'm assuming they didn't have anything to push it to the limit like Nioh during development... That's why devs need to design some type of testing-cap software for testers, and anything that exceeds certain parameters gets fine tuned - hence don't put 'that' in the game (or any game for that matter)...this should've/could've been addressed prior to launch

FrankWza

Something is definitely happening at the blacksmith in Nioh. My fans get very loud when I'm using it.

Also, my fans get really loud when the pre-rendered movie cutscenes play in Hitman and Mafia 3.

I assumed it was because the frame rate was unlocked during those movies.

I had a similar issue with a few PC games' title screens. There was one in particular... when it showed the AMD splash movie before the game started by GPU's fans went absolutely crazy, then as soon as the movie was done they went back to silent for the remainder of the game.

EDIT: Is there a way to enable "movie mode" when you're at the menu map thing before going into the blacksmith? Or can you only switch that from in-game (or was it only at the main menu?)

Happens in movie mode as well. I have not tested the 3rd mode.

Edit: i just tested variable. Its possible that it is better maybe half way between normal and action/regular movie mode. Could be me. Someone else may want to test and confirm

Kai Ozu

Yeah on the blacksmith my Pro gets crazy hot to the point where the image starts to distort color for a few seconds than goes back to normal. Happens every hour or so in normal gameplay.

RexNovis

Banned
Ok so with all the other people here posting that they are having heat issues in menus as well I think its safe to say its not juust a HW issue. While I might have faulty HW and that maybe is what cause the warping of the plastic on my Pro there are way too many other people here reporting similar issues for it to just be a faulty HW issue. Something odd is happening in certain menus that is putting a lot of stress on the HW. Maybe its not framerate but its clear theres something causing things to go into overdrive.

Rokal

I try to spend as little time at the blacksmith as possible, as hearing the fan ramp up like that makes me super nervous.

Playing on a PS4 pro in action mode for the record.

Protip: you can lock items or send them to storage while in your normal inventory screen. Then when you are at the blacksmith you only need to use the select-all button to disassemble everything at once.

Expediting your disassembly time could save your PS4 Pro's life!

RexNovis

Banned
I try to spend as little time at the blacksmith as possible, as hearing the fan ramp up like that makes me super nervous.

Playing on a PS4 pro in action mode for the record.

Protip: you can lock items or send them to storage while in your normal inventory screen. Then when you are at the blacksmith you only need to use the select-all button to disassemble everything at once.

Expediting your disassembly time could save your PS4 Pro's life!

While true it really shouldnt be necessary. They really need to fix whatever it is thats causing the fans to ramp up like that. Theres absolutely no reason a menu you should stress the HW that much.

Top Bottom