• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America Press Event 2016 - February 22nd

Pretty much the only thing I can think of is an announcement of DR2 PC. Even the list of recent Nippon Ichi Japanese releases doesn't look that big, and I don't know who else NISA localizes for anymore ever since Koei Tecmo picked up Gust.

Saphirax

Pretty much the only thing I can think of is an announcement of DR2 PC. Even the list of recent Nippon Ichi Japanese releases doesn't look that big, and I don't know who else NISA localizes for anymore ever since Koei Tecmo picked up Gust.

DR2 has already been announced for Steam, and NISA has nothing to do with the port.

It's too bad NIS didn't bother with a Disgaea D2 Vita port (yet), would've liked that.

Clov

anime is a niche market that got really competitive and expensive over the last couple of years. what they were doing never really took off for them outside of love live.

as far as games go, it's probably going to be small stuff and not a ton of it. they have stranger of sword city and grand kingdom already for their next fiscal year, and usually they only reveal stuff for the first half of the year during the press event, when anime expo is where they show the stuff for the next calendar year.

Ah, that's disappointing. I guess I shouldn't expect too much from them outside of Love Live in terms of anime, which is a pity since I don't really care about that franchise. They really did have some of the best releases in the business, so it's a shame.

I guess I can still hope that a small, interesting game could be announced. There's that horror visual novel that looked neat, but I don't feel as though they'd localize it. Might not be much there for me this time.

Danganronpa V3 worldwide release. Do it.
QqFbn4i.png

DR2 has already been announced for Steam, and NISA has nothing to do with the port.

It's too bad NIS didn't bother with a Disgaea D2 Vita port (yet), would've liked that.

Oh, I totally missed that announcement! I also didn't realize NISA wasn't involved at all (isn't it their localization? or did they just publish the Vita versions?).

If not that, then, I'm basically clueless. I worry about NISA sometimes, it feels like even Aksys gets more interesting games these days. Though at least they're putting out a lot of stuff in Europe and acting as Atlus's defacto European wing, maybe that's enough to stay afloat.

How many hours til this starts?

30 hours from now, according to the invite.

Saphirax

Oh, I totally missed that announcement! I also didn't realize NISA wasn't involved at all (isn't it their localization? or did they just publish the Vita versions?).

If not that, then, I'm basically clueless. I worry about NISA sometimes, it feels like even Aksys gets more interesting games these days. Though at least they're putting out a lot of stuff in Europe and acting as Atlus's defacto European wing, maybe that's enough to stay afloat.

They did the Vita versions, but Spike Chunsoft published the PC ports themselves (they got a third company to port the games to Steam).

vall03

I want Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain, but considering that its been delayed several times already, I doubt we'll even see it this year.

yeah unfortunately exist archive was the linchpin holding the whole operation together.

Ha. But seriously, with NISA seemingly getting out of anime and with a lot of publishers they used to work with establishing their own international divisions or getting tied up with other publishers (Idea Factory International, Spike Chunsoft getting into international publishing with Danganronpa PC, Gust being swallowed by Koei Tecmo), they seem to have fewer and fewer options for things to release outside of games from their parent company, and even those they seem reluctant to bring over due to them being primarily on Vita. I guess we'll see what they announce tomorrow, but in my outsider view they seem to having a relatively rough time of it these days.

AniHawk

Ha. But seriously, with NISA seemingly getting out of anime and with a lot of publishers they used to work with establishing their own international divisions or getting tied up with other publishers (Idea Factory International, Spike Chunsoft getting into international publishing with Danganronpa PC, Gust being swallowed by Koei Tecmo), they seem to have fewer and fewer options for things to release outside of games from their parent company, and even those they seem reluctant to bring over due to them being primarily on Vita. I guess we'll see what they announce tomorrow, but in my outsider view they seem to having a relatively rough time of it these days.

the gust stuff happened four years ago. whatever effect it had on their business is something they've already adjusted to. they're still working with spike chunsoft on grand kingdom and i would guess danganronpa v3 (spike chunsoft used nisa's localization work for dr 1 + 2, meaning there had to be some continued relationship on that front too). idea factory is probably the only big loss in terms of consistency.

anime dying down means they can focus on other things. if steam is going to be a real-deal attempt from them, i think that efforts between anime and games will now be split between steam and dedicated hardware games.

as for nis in japan, i think their president stated that they're looking into ps4 now specifically because of the worldwide market. so probably after this year there will be more brought over from their headquarters.

18-Volt

No chance? Since they're bringing Grand Kingdom I thought they would take Exist Archive too.

Spike seem to be much closer to Aksys than NISA so I expect Aksys would grab Exist Archive, if not NISA. They're even developing/funding Zero Escape 3 together.

If Exist Archive is coming from someone else, then NISA's lineup should be different. Yomawari, Criminal Girls 2, Operation Babel are best bets. ClaDun too, if localization won't take too much of their time.

What I really want is Kancolle Kai but that looks impossible. There could be some licensing issues to mess with.

C'mon Ukiyo no Roushi/Shishi.

My man <3

OT: This is like, 2AM in my country, so I'm going to wake up on Wednesday morning to the disappointing news of PC porting and maybe a PS4 localization. Uff.

What I'd love: Ukiyo no Roushi & Hero Must Die.

What is possible that'd still make me happy: Yomawari

What I'm expecting: Disgaea 2 PC; Phantom Brave PC; Stranger of Sword City PC etc.

I mean, I'm pleased people are getting to play these games again (or for the first time). But still, gimme some new stuff NISA!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Have they ever actually stated that their anime department is dying down? Sonce they started, they have only made a couple releases at a time, with not too many releases through the year, in comparison to other big anime companies. But just like IF etc with their gamesn Aniplex is taking back their titles too, which also slims down their chances at getting new titles.

I feel like the anime thing is an observation rather than an actual statement that they will be slowing down/getting out of anime, or anything.

18-Volt

What I'm expecting: Disgaea 2 PC; Phantom Brave PC; Stranger of Sword City PC etc.

SoSC PC is published by Experience themselves, and they already have announced it.

Porting job of old ass games are done by Nippon Ichi Japan, and I don't think NISA would need a press event for that. New games on the other hand...

Durante

They haven't actually announced Phantom Brave (FUCK YEAH PHANTOM BRAVE) for Steam yet right?

So that's almost a certainty.

AniHawk

Have they ever actually stated that their anime department is dying down? Sonce they started, they have only made a couple releases at a time, with not too many releases through the year, in comparison to other big anime companies. But just like IF etc with their gamesn Aniplex is taking back their titles too, which also slims down their chances at getting new titles.

I feel like the anime thing is an observation rather than an actual statement that they will be slowing down/getting out of anime, or anything.

well yeah. it's just a comparison from last year to this year. they just haven't announced anything new since the love live movie and i don't even remember how long ago that was.

SoSC PC is published by Experience themselves, and they already have announced it.

Porting job of old ass games are done by Nippon Ichi Japan, and I don't think NISA would need a press event for that. New games on the other hand...

Source on that PC announcement? Because all I can find is that it was rated for ESRB by NISA, hence why I said it:

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/esrb-rates-stranger-sword-city-pc

As for the rest of your post, XSEED had a press conference last year to announce they were porting a load of old games to PC.

What are the odds of Kenka Bancho 6 on 3DS coming over by NISA? You'd have thought Atlus would've done it having done the PSP game.

Such a shame this is being left in Japan. :(

Shizuka

It's sad that Stranger of Sword City may be NISA's last DRPG. There's still Demon Gaze 2, but I wonder if NISA'd pick it up.

Clov

well yeah. it's just a comparison from last year to this year. they just haven't announced anything new since the love live movie and i don't even remember how long ago that was.

NISA announced that they had the Love Live movie on June 26th 2015. So it's been around 8 months since their last anime license. In terms of new licenses, the only one I can see as being a lock is the new Love Live TV series coming out. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them license the third season of Yuruyuri, since they released the previous two seasons and nobody else has picked it up yet.

Shizuka

If there is a PS4 version I can see them doing it.

So far, Vita is the only platform announced for the title. I don't think Kadokawa would bother porting it to the PS4 since DRPGs on the PS4 is uncharted territory and EXP would only get the chance to do a XONE release if it was one of their self-published titles.

What are the odds of Kenka Bancho 6 on 3DS coming over by NISA? You'd have thought Atlus would've done it having done the PSP game.

Such a shame this is being left in Japan. :(

As with Ukiyo no Roushi/Shishi, I think the window has passed on that now, it's been 13 months since it released in Japan.

I seem to remember in the past there were issues with localizing these games due to vertical text or something, lol. I'm sure the poor performance of the PSP game didn't help either.

But yeah, it's a shame the whole series has stayed in Japan really. 4/5/Tokyo Battle Royale all looked excellent too.

Tohsaka

Guessing/hoping we'll get Yomawari, CG2, Exist Archive (though that one may be Atlus, apparently). I'm also expecting more PC port announcements.

Special Investigative Division, live again!

nisvita1_thumb.png

I've been wanting that one for the longest time, but I think that ship has sailed unfortunately.

Shizuka

As with Ukiyo no Roushi/Shishi, I think the window has passed on that now, it's been 13 months since it released in Japan.

I seem to remember in the past there were issues with localizing these games due to vertical text or something, lol. I'm sure the poor performance of the PSP game didn't help either.

But yeah, it's a shame the whole series has stayed in Japan really. 4/5/Tokyo Battle Royale all looked excellent too.

Spike Chunsoft should learn a thing or two with Acquire and make their lesser licenses cheaper for localization companies.

SephLuis

I want Witch and the Hundred Knight 2.

Though it was only announced for Japan so far, it would be nice to have an international release confirmation.

It's sad that Stranger of Sword City may be NISA's last DRPG. There's still Demon Gaze 2, but I wonder if NISA'd pick it up.

Any chance they pick the follow up to Operation Abyss ?

I must be the only one that preferred that over Demon Gaze..

18-Volt

Source on that PC announcement? Because all I can find is that it was rated for ESRB by NISA, hence why I said it:

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/esrb-rates-stranger-sword-city-pc

As for the rest of your post, XSEED had a press conference last year to announce they were porting a load of old games to PC.

Sorry I thought Experience was publishing PC version alongside Xbox One.

There are Operation Babel and Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain too, I can't see them skipping all three.

Shizuka

Oh, I don't think they'd skip Labyrinth of Coven, since that's NIS. But the other EXP titles are in a soft spot.

GAME-0015353.jpg

No idea what this is or what kind of game it is but I really like the cover.

I discovered the game through the Japanese boxart thread on here not so long ago and had the exact same reaction. It's a visual novel that has been on Steam for a few years now, but unfortunately that particular localisation is riddled with flaws like poor translation quality, censorship and the removal of all kissing scenes and even any mention of kissing... in a visual novel no less!

Top Bottom