• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Special in USA [OT] Billy Gunn Main Events in 2017

6nv2Pb6.jpg

t1498953600z1.png

t1499040000z1.png

On July 1 and 2, a new era of professional wrestling will begin in North America. This weekend, New Japan Pro-Wrestling crosses the biggest border in their history with their first ever self-promoted shows in the Western Hemisphere, emanating from the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, California. Needless to say, with the admiration New Japan has received this year, this is an incredible moment for both long-time fans of the company, and hopefully for puroresu newcomers as well. And with this entry into a new frontier, five New Japan championships will be on the line, including one that will see its first-ever champion.

Both events will be broadcast live, with Night 1 airing on AXS TV in the US and Fight Network in Canada starting at 8PM EST, while Night 2 will be available exclusively on New Japan's live streaming service, NJPWWorld.com, which you can sign up for at a price of just 999¥ (about $9 USD) a month. If you only have one or the other, don't worry – Night 1 will be archived for on-demand streaming on NJPWWorld the morning after the event, while Night 2 will air via tape delay on AXS TV and the Fight Network on July 7. For those outside of the US, both events will air live on NJPWWorld. Live English commentary for both shows will also be provided, with the NJPW on AXS TV announce team of legendary wrestling announcer Jim Ross and MMA icon Josh Barnett calling the action.

zcyteL9.jpg

Single Elimination Tournament for the Vacant IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship

FXM9KxB.jpg
IBe593Y.jpg

To mark the momentous occasion of NJPW's first shows in the United States, the company is introducing what will be its eighth active championship. Debuting during Ring of Honor's recent War of the Worlds tour (featuring numerous NJPW wrestlers), the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship will represent this new expansion, and be regarded as a symbol for this immense undertaking. The first round matches will take place on night 1, with the semifinals and finals to determine the champion occurring on night 2.

First Round Match

rUoew6J.jpg

Jay Lethal vs. Hangman Page

The first matchup in the tournament will feature its first two entrants, as Ring of Honor's Jay Lethal battles Adam “Hangman” Page of Bullet Club. At the War of the Worlds event in New York, Lethal was announced as the first participant in the tournament, and with good reason, being the longest-reigning ROH World champion of the last ten years, as well as the only man ever to hold the ROH World and Television championships simultaneously. Meanwhile, Page quickly came out to protest Lethal's inclusion, and throw his own hat in the ring. As he has never held a major championship in his career and as one of the few Bullet Club members to primarily compete in the US, Page would be a tremendous first champion, but faces some stiff competition. However, he may have upside over his opponent, as at ROH's Best in the World event held last week, Lethal was taken out by a splash through a table by the Beer City Bruiser, leaving his status for this match questionable at best.

First Round Match

VzghLdJ.jpg

Juice Robinson vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

The next tournament match features one of New Japan's top young stars facing an international independent icon. Juice Robinson, whose fighting spirit has taken him to a high-level in NJPW, has become nigh-unrecognizable from his time in NXT as CJ Parker, and has become one of the fiercest, most passionate competitors in the company with several huge victories over the last year, as well as opportunities at both the IWGP Intercontinental and NEVER Openweight championships and his first G1 Climax berth. The opposition is the man considered by many to be the best technical wrestler on Planet Earth today, Zack Sabre Jr. Making his New Japan debut with a gigantic win over Katsuyori Shibata to regain the Revolution Pro British Heavyweight title, to go along with his already-held EVOLVE and PWG championships, Sabre would join the sadistic heels of Minoru Suzuki's Suzuki-gun, which would get a giant boost if he could bring the US title back as the lone faction representative on this trip.

First Round Match

q4tlfr5.jpg

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito

The next bout pits two long-time rivals against each other, as CHAOS' Tomohiro Ishii takes on the leader of Los Ingobernables de Japon, Tetsuya Naito. Ishii has become one of the most popular and feared wrestlers on the planet, with relentless strength and power for his size, as well as an uncanny resilience to pain. Despite holding the record for most NEVER championship reigns, Ishii has strayed far from singles gold in the last year, so taking the US belt would be a major boon for the “Stone Pitbull”.

However, while Ishii is known for his fearsome intensity, Naito is known for anything but. Formerly considered the future ace of the company, the rejection of the fans led Naito to adopt a new attitude of “Tranquilo” - “Just calm down”, which has led him to turn his back on the company's fans, wrestlers, and even management. Coming off a long reign as IWGP Intercontinental championship where he was just as vicious to the title belt itself as he was to his opponents, Naito has openly resented the new US title's creation, even offering his place in the tournament to any takers. A Naito victory means he could very well be not only the US title's first champion, but its last.

First Round Match

kmI6373.jpg

Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega

The final first-round matchup pits two of New Japan's premier gaijin talent against one another, once again sparking the dulled flames of a tremendous rivalry. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin, a long-time indy standout and former ROH World champion, made the jump to New Japan in 2015 and hasn't looked back, holding the IWGP Intercontinental championship a year later and proving himself to be one of the company's strongest warriors. However, "Big Mike" has mostly stayed away from New Japan this year, and hasn't found much success on his trips over, something being the first man to be US champion would certainly remedy.

However, Elgin faces fierce opposition against a man who has turned from an also-ran into a household name in just the last year. Taking over leadership of Bullet Club, Kenny Omega also held the Intercontinental championship (losing it to Elgin) and became the first-ever non-Japanese wrestler to win the prestigious G1 Climax tournament. But that was only a taste of his true abilities, leading to two legendary matches with IWGP champion Kazuchika Okada, losing an epic Tokyo Dome clash at Wrestle Kingdom 11 before topping it with an incredible 60-minute draw at Dominion in Osaka-Jo Hall just a few weeks ago. Once again denied the top prize in Japan, "The Cleaner" is certainly hungry for gold, and the new US title will do quite nicely.

IWGP Tag Team Championship

2G9nUeu.jpg

Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa) (c) vs. War Machine (Raymond Rowe and Hanson)

Coming to New Japan with one goal in mind, the massive duo of Raymond Rowe and Hanson, collectively known as War Machine, made good at Sakura Genesis in April by capturing the IWGP Tag Team championship from the legendary team of Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima. While they retained the title against them in a three-way match a month later, the other team in that match, the Bullet Club's Guerrillas of Destiny, made up of brothers "Bad Boy" Tama Tonga and "Silverback" Tanga Loa, were quick to lay a beating on War Machine after the match's conclusion.

At the later 2-on-2 title match at June's Dominion event, a steel chair helped the GOD put down War Machine, and earn their third tag title reign, but while the sons of the legendary King Haku rules Japan, it's a different story in America, where War Machine reigns supreme. Expect total warfare when these two teams go for broke for tag team gold.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship

KT333Iu.jpg

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Cody

Night 1's main event will appropriately be for the top championship in New Japan, and also will appropriately feature the company's biggest star. Without hyperbole, Kazuchika Okada has been nothing short of the best wrestler in the world, defending his IWGP Heavyweight championship against all comers and putting together an absolutely transcendent CV, with matches against the likes of Minoru Suzuki, Tiger Mask W
AKA Kota Ibushi
, Katsuyori Shibata, Bad Luck Fale, and of course, his two aforementioned campaigns against Kenny Omega that broke Dave Meltzer's rating scale. However, going into his seventh defense in his fourth reign as champion, the toll taken on Okada's body is becoming more evident, which may prove a beautiful disaster for the CHAOS leader against his opponent.

Cody Rhodes left the WWE for the independent scene in 2016, and quickly found himself crossing paths with Bullet Club, joining the group towards the end of the year. Since then, Cody has faced and defeated names like Juice Robinson and Michael Elgin, before finally challenging an exhausted Okada following his epic 60-minute battle with Omega at Dominion. And just to add a bit more intrigue to the proceedings, Cody captured the ROH World Championship just this past weekend, meaning he has the chance to be the first man to hold both titles at the same time. Now, it's champion vs. champion, as the Rainmaker clashes with the American Nightmare in what should be an unforgettable challenge.

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

N8BhxmD.jpg

The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) (c) vs. Roppongi Vice (Rocky Romero and Beretta)

Loud, brash, and with the skills (and superkicks) to back it up, the Young Bucks have become one of the most in-demand teams in the world. Card-carrying members of Bullet Club, the brothers Jackson currently hold the ROH World Tag Team titles to go along with their record-setting sixth reign as IWGP Jr. Tag Team champions, also possessing their own Superkick Party titles and a highly-rated YouTube show. It seems nothing can stop the Bucks, with the exception of one team that always proves to be a thorn in their side.

Roppongi Vice, made up of the veteran Rocky Romero and the high-flying Trent Beretta, have held the Jr. tag gold four times in their career as a team (with a record eight reigns for Rocky) and have had their destinies entwined with the Bucks for most of 2017. After losing the titles at Dominion, the CHAOS members quickly got a rematch for Night 2 of the G1 Special, but it will be in the Young Bucks' home turf of Long Beach, not far from their home in Rancho Cucamonga. And to add an interesting prelude, both teams have floated the possibility of adding some elevation to the bout in the form of a ladder match, which would be a first for their feud. Either way, expect plenty of extreme action in what promises to be a complete spectacle.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship

qenasTS.jpg

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Billy Gunn

At Dominion in Osaka-Jo Hall, Hiroshi Tanahashi, the legendary ace of NJPW, did nothing short of save the IWGP Intercontinental title from oblivion, as he claimed what was left of the championship belt from Tetsuya Naito. Rebuilding the belt with nothing but some paint, polish, and elbow grease, Tanahashi has brought it back to its former glory, and now looks to defend it as a proud champion. However, his first defense will be against a surprising adversary.

Looking for a partner after his Hunter Club ally Captain New Japan defected to Bullet Club, becoming Bone Soldier (please, don't ask) former WWE star Yoshitatsu needed an expert in tag team wrestling, someone who knew all too well Bullet Club's style of debauchery harkening back to the days of Degeneration X, and someone who worked well with the Triple H cosplay he'd been trying to pull off. Enter Billy Gunn, the former 11-time WWE tag champion and Intercontinental champion, who proved to be a valuable partner in the 2016 World Tag League and still remains an incredible competitor despite being 53 years of age. Through Yoshitatsu, Gunn challenged Tanahashi to a match for his newly-won IC title, which will take place as the main event of Night 2. Can Tanahashi get his second reign as IC champion off to a good start? Or does the former Mr. Ass have two words for him?

Hex

Banned
Page has done some fantastic work in ROH, keeping the flag of the Bullet Club held high.
Page over Lethal

Omega over Elgin in what will be a hell of a match.

Fuck Juice Robinson.
Not a huge Sabre Jr fan but #FuckJuiceR

Ishii, I like you but Naito Kun is on an entirely different level.

Guerillas of Destiny vs War Machine....
War Machine grows on you. You do not expect it but they have some great spots.
Honestly though I am just fed the fuck up with this feud

Fuck Cody Rhodes. "Delusions of Grandeur" .
I would not mind seeing a rift between Cody and Kenny when Cody gets RAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN MAAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! back to Stardust land.
Either way Cody has the ROH belt now and he can sod off down there.

I love the Bucks, I will admit it but RVice deserves this like crazy.
They have made the Bucks looks like Platinum for half a year now.

And fuck Billy Gunn.
Will not even dignify that with a real answer.

If the final for that belt isn't Naito vs Omega NJPW doesn't actually care about putting on the best show for their breakthrough into the US.

I mean they put Cody and Billy Gunn into the main events so I'm not fully convinced they do care but if they deny Long Beach Naito vs Omega they are fools

The correct path is

Omega over Elgin

Who cares in Page vs Lethal

Naito over Ishii
ZSJ over Juicy Juice

Omega over who cares
Naito over ZSJ

And then pick em between Naito and Omega

Hex

Banned
If the final for that belt isn't Naito vs Omega NJPW doesn't actually care about putting on the best show for their breakthrough into the US.

I mean they put Cody and Billy Gunn into the main events so I'm not fully convinced they do care but if they deny Long Beach Naito vs Omega they are fools

The correct path is

Omega over Elgin

Naito over Ishii
ZSJ over Juicy Juice

Omega over who cares
Naito over ZSJ

tumblr_okuyn84S1h1vxmjuao5_400.gif

Seriously, if they give do Naito v Omega they can go ahead and start construction of an office in California the next morning.
Just give it away on Facebook and the net like they did Okada v Omega the first and let it take its course.

I swear if Cody beats Okada, that's going to be some straight up BS. Plus Kenny needs to win the US championship, I don't want him to become the people's loser. He's too good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What the actual fuck at Tanahashi v Billy fucking Gunn

Brinbe

On the real, I think Omega-Naito from the 2016 G1 s one of the best matches I've ever seen and was maybe even better than the Okada-Omega behemoths that overshadow it. They fit so much into that 30 mins. If they get a chance to go it again in these finals, holy fucking shit.

Watch/Re-watch it again and see for yourselves. Shit was so fucking hype.

Hex

Banned
What the actual fuck at Tanahashi v Billy fucking Gunn

This is one of those "carny attraction bouts" where you get the guy that all of the beer swilling attitude era throwbacks will never let go of (and pretty much the only member of DX that can actually put on a decent match and /or is not employed by WWE) vs the face of New Japan

Like if they had Connor McGregor or even Alexander Gustafsson vs Ken Shamrock or Tito Ortiz at the local MMA show.
Banking on those Nostalgia dollars

I will say if it'a not Kenny vs Naito, Elgin vs Naito is my second choice as those two put on one of my fav matches ever this year.

Foggy

Everyone who knows me knows that I always fly across the country for Billy Gunn title matches. I hope these other wrestlers are good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just a heads up, Sling.tv carries AXS and has a 7-day free trial, so that's one way you could watch it if you don't have AXS. Just remember to cancel before the trial is up, of course.

Page has done some fantastic work in ROH, keeping the flag of the Bullet Club held high.
Page over Lethal

Omega over Elgin in what will be a hell of a match.

Fuck Juice Robinson.
Not a huge Sabre Jr fan but #FuckJuiceR

Ishii, I like you but Naito Kun is on an entirely different level.

Guerillas of Destiny vs War Machine....
War Machine grows on you. You do not expect it but they have some great spots.
Honestly though I am just fed the fuck up with this feud

Fuck Cody Rhodes. "Delusions of Grandeur" .
I would not mind seeing a rift between Cody and Kenny when Cody gets RAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN MAAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! back to Stardust land.
Either way Cody has the ROH belt now and he can sod off down there.

I love the Bucks, I will admit it but RVice deserves this like crazy.
They have made the Bucks looks like Platinum for half a year now.

And fuck Billy Gunn.
Will not even dignify that with a real answer.

The correct path is

Omega over Elgin

Naito over Ishii
ZSJ over Juicy Juice

Omega over who cares
Naito over ZSJ

I just can't see New Japan having two Bullet Club members face off in this tournament, so my guess is that will be Page vs. Elgin or Lethal vs. Omega in the semis.

For those wondering, here is the full card for night 1. I didn't include the various tag matches as they weren't important enough for a full write-up.

(1) CHAOS (Jay Briscoe, Mark Briscoe, Will Ospreay, Rocky Romero & Beretta) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi, Marty Scurll, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson)
(2) Jushin Thunder Liger, Volador Jr., Dragon Lee & Titan vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA, EVIL, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi)
(3) IWGP US Championship Tournament 1st Round: Jay Lethal vs. Hangman Page
(4) IWGP US Championship Tournament 1st Round: Juice Robinson vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
(5) Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, Jay White & David Finlay vs. Hunter Club (Billy Gunn and Yoshitatsu) and the Tempura Boyz (Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu)
(6) IWGP Tag Team Championship Match: Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa) (c) vs. War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe)
(7) IWGP US Championship Tournament 1st Round: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito
(8) IWGP US Championship Tournament 1st Round: Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega
(9) IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Cody

The full card for night 2 will not come out until the day of the event, and features Young Bucks/RPG Vice and Tanahashi/Gunn.

Bronx-Man

Banned
On one hand, there is no way fucking Cody Rhodes gets the IWGP Heavyweight Title. On the other, if he does then when ROH comes to Charlotte next month I can say I saw the IWGP Champion wrestle live.

Hmmmmm.

Ronin Ray

So as someone living in the us if I subscribe to njpw world I can't watch both nights live on there ? I have to get something called axs tv for night 1 then watch night 2 on njpw world

DeathyBoy

Banned
I want Cody and Gunn to win. Because wrestleGaf meltdowns are glorious.

See that fucking lowest Raw ratings thread as proof.

norm9

This looks interesting but I don't understand how it works over the two night period. So which match happens which day?

THinking about going.

hitme

Who's going to the shows this weekend?

I'm going Sunday and yes I'll be booing the shit out of Billy Gunn.

On the real, I think Omega-Naito from the 2016 G1 s one of the best matches I've ever seen and was maybe even better than the Okada-Omega behemoths that overshadow it. They fit so much into that 30 mins. If they get a chance to go it again in these finals, holy fucking shit.

Watch/Re-watch it again and see for yourselves. Shit was so fucking hype.

Completely agree, Naito/Omega was my personal MOTY from last year even topping Okada/Tanahashi due to the result of that match not really being in doubt, and honestly, I liked their G1 match better.

Them in the finals would be a dream come true, especially with the smart money on it also being the G1 finals this year.

EDIT: I just realized, with Omega in a singles match on day 1 and the Young Bucks defending their titles on day 2, there won't be a six-man tag at this event at all featuring THE...ELITE! THE THE ELITE! (breakitdown)

This looks interesting but I don't understand how it works over the two night period. So which match happens which day?

THinking about going.

Night 1 - US title first round, IWGP Tag titles, IWGP Heavyweight Title
Night 2 - US title semifinals/finals, IWGP Jr. Tag titles, IWGP IC title.

Also, tickets are sold out and going for crazy prices on the resell market, so chances are you won't be able to go anyway.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So as someone living in the us if I subscribe to njpw world I can't watch both nights live on there ? I have to get something called axs tv for night 1 then watch night 2 on njpw world

You could use a VPN extension for your browser, set it to Japan, and watch it on World that way.

norm9

Night 1 - US title first round, IWGP Tag titles, IWGP Heavyweight Title
Night 2 - US title semifinals/finals, IWGP Jr. Tag titles, IWGP IC title.

Also, tickets are sold out and going for crazy prices on the resell market, so chances are you won't be able to go anyway.

Just looked at craiglist. Over a hundo for some corner bleachers. No thanks. Maybe day of there'll be some discounted prices.

Just wanted to deliver a quick PSA to anyone who wants to use NJPWWorld.com to watch these shows and hasn't already signed up: DO NOT SIGN UP UNTIL SATURDAY. NJPWWorld doesn't do a free month offer like WWE Network, and always charges you at the first of the month, as well as when you sign up. So if you sign up now, you will be charged $9 and then another $9 on Saturday, so go ahead and wait.

Foggy

Lost in all the Cody and Ass Man hubbub is that we're guaranteed singles matches between Elgin/Omega and Naito/Ishii. That's tremendous.

Lost in all the Cody and Ass Man hubbub is that we're guaranteed singles matches between Elgin/Omega and Naito/Ishii. That's tremendous.

The US title tournament isn't the ire of most due to how stacked it is, pretty much everyone in it has a four star match or better to their name in the last calendar year...

It's just the main events that are the problem, and even then Okada vs. Cody should be a great match.

don't really watch much wrestling now a days, but its pretty cool to see people from my neighborhood doing well in their wrestling careers (Matt and Nick Jackson) although Jackson isn't their actual last name. Matt I actually know personally along with his sister, his Sister was two grades above me and Matt was a grade below me in school. Matt and Nick use to actually do backyard wrestling, haven't seen them in years but it was a trip when I randomly saw a youtube video of them wrestling in NJPW.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I have a feeling that Tanahashi vs Billy Gunn is going to be the semi-main and the US title final is going to main event. I think Okada vs Cody should have been the main event for night 2, but they probably want to make the US title a big deal and what better way than to have it be the last match of the weekend?

The biggest question is can Kazuchika "******" Okada get a 4 star match out of Co "***" dy, who to the best of my knowledge has never been in a great one on one match, even with Marty Scurll at PWG.

don't really watch much wrestling now a days, but its pretty cool to see people from my neighborhood doing well in their wrestling careers (Matt and Nick Jackson) although Jackson isn't their actual last name. Matt I actually know personally along with his sister, his Sister was two grades above me and Matt was a grade below me in school. Matt and Nick use to actually do backyard wrestling, haven't seen them in years but it was a trip when I randomly saw a youtube video of them wrestling in NJPW.

That's awesome! Yeah, the Young Bucks are huge. I became fans of them when they were in TNA many moons ago, and then again when they turned up all over the indies. They are a fun team to watch and work a really cool style.

Neat.

Those two are some of the biggest non WWE stars in the business right now. They're incredible

Top Bottom