• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Special in USA [OT] Billy Gunn Main Events in 2017

Brinbe

Ishii stay being one of the most underrated motherfuckers on Earth. Easy 4 stars or better every time out but he'll never get that run he deserves.

pbayne

Catching up on night one and its alright, nothing blowing me away so far. Last 5 minutes of Omega/Elgin were mental. Naito, who is far and away my favorite wrestler in the world atm, just kinda phoned it in.

One thing that confuses me is Big Mike's booking. Monster face who almost always completely dominants matchs, has about 7 moves that all look like legit finishers then just loses clean suddenly out of nowhere. Though that Omega match was nowhere as hilarious as the one earlier this year with Naito, where he killed him from pillar to post...then blam destino...done,

Night 2 had some matches that weren't too hot (Billy Gunn vs takahashi wasn't particularly amazing) but had some real standout matches (That young buck tag team match was phenomenal) and the main event was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
Kenny throws a million knees a match and they never get old
I FUCKING KNOW, RIGHT? Always satisfying AF.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Catching up on night one and its alright, nothing blowing me away so far. Last 5 minutes of Omega/Elgin were mental. Naito, who is far and away my favorite wrestler in the world atm, just kinda phoned it in.

One thing that confuses me is Big Mike's booking. Monster face who almost always completely dominants matchs, has about 7 moves that all look like legit finishers then just loses clean suddenly out of nowhere. Though that Omega match was nowhere as hilarious as the one earlier this year with Naito, where he killed him from pillar to post...then blam destino...done,

Elgin's new gimmick should be "The Glass Cannon". Unbelievably strong but inevitably gets taken out with a single move every time. :lol

norm9

What I don't understand is how is Cody the leader of Bullet CLub already (or vying for it)? Isn't he real new?

(Now that I paid that ten bucks for the njpw site, I guess I can watch and find out)

kiguel182

What a main event. Not a fan of them going into the crowd but apart from that it was a big endurance battle with some amazing exchanges. And it was stiff as fuck too. So good. Might have been a bit long but the payoff was worth it.

Didn't like Billy Gunn vs takahashi at all. Just found it boring and just uninteresting. Cody vs Okada was better for sure.

I'll keep my NJPW sub and will try to keep up with the G1 Climax. Really curious how their future US expansion might go.

Edit: never saw ishii before this weekend and man, love the dude. Badass.

What a main event. Not a fan of them going into the crowd but apart from that it was a big endurance battle with some amazing exchanges. And it was stiff as fuck too. So good. Might have been a bit long but the payoff was worth it.

Didn't like Billy Gunn vs Tanahsi at all. Just found it boring and just uninteresting. Cody vs Okada was better for sure.

I'll keep my NJPW sub and will try to keep up with the G1 Climax. Really curious how their future US expansion might go.

They announced they will come back in 2018 that is for sure.

kiguel182

They announced they will come back in 2018 that is for sure.

Wonder how many events and how they will positioned themselves. Also, there's always the risk of WWE snatching up Omega which would be a big blow. It's going to be interesting.

Right now I'm in for sure. Glad they have a streaming service that is cheap and the wrestling is good so I'm in either way.

EH against Naito Elgin kicked out of like several Destinos or at least Destino variations

Ronin Ray

First time this weekend seeing Zack zaber Jr and ishii and was beyond impressed.

Night 2 was insane and that main event was just crazy good.

Just next time I hope they fix a lot of those production issues but I hope New Japan can really make expansion into America.

Ah, the soothing sounds of the Japanese commentary on Night 2 after JR and Mauro on Night 1.

Lethal vs. Omega was probably the best it could have been.

Time for my most anticipated match, Sabre vs. Ishii.

As someone who's not super big into wrestling, it's always a treat watching NJPW. These guys are all so damn talented, and I always find new wrestlers who turn out to be so damn entertaining. I REALLY loved watching Zack Sabre Junior, his submissions holds are a thing to witness, so excited to see more of him in G1 Climax.

As someone who's not super big into wrestling, it's always a treat watching NJPW. These guys are all so damn talented, and I always find new wrestlers who turn out to be so damn entertaining. I REALLY loved watching Zack Sabre Junior, his submissions holds are a thing to witness, so excited to see more of him in G1 Climax.

Zack's definitely a love or hate kind of guy, as he works a very submissions-oriented style. That said, he's a ton of fun to watch as he can even stretch the shit out of bigger guys. Him in the G1 will be a treat.

He's kind of in the same boat as Ospreay, both are guys known for doing one thing, but damn do they do it well.

But yeah, that's the best part about NJPW, I would say that there legitimately isn't a bad worker in the entire company, with the exceptions of Yoshitatsu, Taichi, and Tanga Loa, and usually they're at least protected in tag matches.

Top Bottom