• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9 (OT) SURABANAKA DESU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Tanahashi pouring salt into the wound.

"Okada! Okada! How do you feel right now? I'll tell you one thing, so listen closely. IWGP is still so far away from you." (via yottsume)

inhCik8o7he67.gif

Raw64life

Great PPV. Last two matches were ridiculous. JR seemed a little lost in the beginning but he picked it up once they got to the singles matches. He did fine considering he's 63, hasn't commentated a major wrestling event in years and was commentating NJPW for the first time ever.

Will definitely try to watch more than just WK and G1 like I did last year, but hopefully their English presence will increase. Would love to see more English commentary even if it isn't JR.

Edit: Damn near 6:00 AM. I'm so fucked on Monday morning.

ghostmind

Goodnight NJPW-GAF, it's been fun. Hope to see many of you in the NJPWworld thread, as well as the threads for the other New Japan events in 2015.

tJ5xz9E.gif

Foffy

Banned
I feel sorrow, if only because I can't imagine WWE meeting that level with their main programming for a long fucking time coming.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for joining me in this OT. I hope I got a few more new fans of New Japan Pro Wrestling, and I hope everyone enjoyed the show. This was a labor of love and I hope everyone now sees why it's the best wrestling promotion in the world.

liger05

Hey everyone, thanks so much for joining me in this OT. I hope I got a few more new fans of New Japan Pro Wrestling, and I hope everyone enjoyed the show. This was a labor of love and I hope everyone now sees why it's the best wrestling promotion in the world.

Best combat sports promotion. Nothing beats njpw right now.

DiscoJon

Banned
Fave 5 of the Night:

5. Anderson and Gallows/Goto and Shibata
4. Taguchi/Omega
3. Ishii/Makabe
2. Tanahashi/Okada
1. Nakamura/Ibushi

I'm kinda bummed about the Shibata match, I really wanted him and Goto to murder those overrated fools.

Great show! Glad I stayed up!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They could have given Styles/Naito more time instead of 20 minutes of Tanahashi promo thing.

I hope Suzuki is gonna challenge for the title next.

Nuklear

Banned
I'm going to sleep but thank you all for watching with me tonight. It was truly an epic experience I haven't felt something like this since I was a kid some 20 years ago or so. Once again thank you.

flux1

This was my first time watching NJPW. First thought is this company is far more deserving of $10 a month than WWE.

I will go back and watch the full card again uninterrupted, but right now my favorite of the night was Makabe vs Ishii.

Overall this felt like a modern version of when I watched Clash of the Champions 1 and became a wrestling fan that night.

Really great show. Not as crazy end to end as the tourney maybe, (hard to beat that) but really great.

The semi-main was just unbelievable. My favorite match of the night for sure.

JR really loves the Rainmaker's dropkick. I think he had an out of body experience.

This show will not be erased from my DVR as long as I have it.

So how did jr do overall?

He was completely lost in all the scrambles and tags. But he came around for The Saku match and was pretty dang fun in the last two matches. If that was JRs last call, I think he'd be fine with it. It's a darn sight better than going out calling NXT or Superstars or whatever the hell he was stuck with at the end in WWE or his failure trying his hand at MMA. He may not have been able to call all the spots, but he made that Main Event feel HUGE, and that's what a good announcer does.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Makabe is gonna be a shitty champion. But Ishii better go rehab. If he shows up at the next event, he's an idiot. I don't know who they're going to have wrestling Makabe.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just woke up and saw that tanahashiwinslol, he truly is japan's cena. Im not even mad, at least the matches are good

how was the show overall? and did Nak / Ibushi deliver as much as the g1 23 match?

Fave 5 of the Night:

5. Anderson and Gallows/Goto and Shibata
4. Taguchi/Omega
3. Ishii/Makabe
2. Tanahashi/Okada
1. Nakamura/Ibushi

I'm kinda bummed about the Shibata match, I really wanted him and Goto to murder those overrated fools.

Great show! Glad I stayed up!

I pretty much agree, I may have liked Okada/Tanahashi a little more (need to watch both matches again) but both main events were fucking stellar. I'd also take off Taguchi/Omega and put AJ/Naito in the 4 spot and maybe put Suzuki/Sakuraba at 5 but I did love the moment of Goto/Shibata winning the tag belts.

My one issue with this is that there really wasn't any sea change in the main event scene. Tanahashi is still the ace, Okada still can't win the gold at the dome, Nakamura is still based but holds the #2 belt, Ibushi can't move up to heavyweight, AJ is still a killer, and Naito still can't win on a big stage. I feel like there's a bit of a holding pattern going on in the booking, which is okay if the matches are good (and they are AMAZING) but that can only hold you for so long. Maybe it's because I'm used to American wrestling where the stories dictate the matches, instead of Japan where it's the other way around. Based on that I felt this show was booked less about angle advancement and more about showcasing NJPW to the world, which it did VERY well.

Anyway, I expect we'll see Tanahashi vs. AJ at New Beginning, and hopefully a Nak/Ibushi rematch.

Mr. Sam

He was completely lost in all the scrambles and tags. But he came around for The Saku match and was pretty dang fun in the last two matches. If that was JRs last call, I think he'd be fine with it. It's a darn sight better than going out calling NXT or Superstars or whatever the hell he was stuck with at the end in WWE or his failure trying his hand at MMA. He may not have been able to call all the spots, but he made that Main Event feel HUGE, and that's what a good announcer does.

Oh my God, I totally forgot that they had Jim bloody Ross calling pre-golden era NXT.

MoosiferX

I am legitimately shaken. What a great show!

Ibushi / Nakamura delivered on a level I've never even seen. I'm so cracked out right now!

Alucard

Banned
James Caldwell of pwtorch gave the main event five stars and the semi-main 4.5. Have you guys been downplaying the main event's quality up in here?

liger05

James Caldwell of pwtorch gave the main event five stars and the semi-main 4.5. Have you guys been downplaying the main event's quality up in here?

The main event was quality but I thought the semi was better. Tanahashi and okada have had better matches which is remarkable. They never disappoint.

Hasney

There's two things about the main that put it slightly under the I match, but it's hard to say without spoilers.

2 finisher kickouts which are getting overdone and the half hour celebration mad me hate the top five as much as Cena. Couple of matches could have gotten more time

I fell asleep on the Heavyweight tag team match but I'll definitely continue once I get home from work. People on Twitter are still buzzing about this show, bigger buzz than anything WWE has put out in years.

I spent the whole first match just marking out. I almost lost my mind hearing JR say "Superkick Party". What a time to be a wrestling fan.

Enjoyed the show overall, the 4 hour no intermission time-slot had its ups and downs, I generally liked how focussed the show felt, but it lacked something with the entrances being rushed, fewer video packages and some of the undercard matches could've done with a few more minutes, the jr. tag title match especially. That's not to say it didn't have the big show feel, it absolutely did, but perhaps a notch down on the pageantry from last year. I thought everything from the 4th match onwards was well worth a watch, MiSu & Sakuaba brought it in their UWFi rules match, so many awesome touches to this and I loved how Suzuki sold his arm. Makabe & Ishii slugged the hell out of each other and I liked the finish playing into Ishii's fucked up shoulder. The Jr. title match was a Taguchi match, but he's always worked well with Omega and Kenny's goofy-ass anime character come to life persona made this entertaining. The tag title match was probably Karl & Doc's best match teaming together, they told a good story by teasing the mis-communication between Shibata & Goto that had plagued them early on in the tag league and the pay-off was awesome.

Naito vs Styles was a great singles bout, just a bit below their G1 encounter I'd say, although there Naito getting busted open added a lot to it and the crowd so badly wanted him to win. It was a different story here, both guys still did tremendously well, but I think this match may end up overlooked in the grand scheme of things. The IC title match was my match of the night, Nakamura is such an amazing character, everything he does feeds into his persona. He really is the complete package and I adored the story they showed here, Nakamura just oozing disrespect for Ibushi, who is perfectly suited to the fiery underdog role. They had me hook, line and sinker on the nearfall when Ibushi hit the boma ye, I think 2015 is going to be a very big year for him. Lastly, that main event - on the one hand I don't know what to make of the outcome, as
Okada vs Styles for the title seemed to be writing itself
, but on the other hand I think they worked an expertly paced match that's going to serve as great character development for
Okada
down the line.

Also, regarding the
finisher spam, the HFF has been established as a combo sort of move, Tana doesn't often beat top-tier opponents with just one. As for the Rainmaker, this was a BIG deal as it's easily the most protected move in recent years. However, earlier in the year Okada said he had invented a new move, but he wouldn't debut it until someone kicked out of the Rainmaker. He then said he didn't expect that to happen until 2025, so this played into the theme of the match and Tana's post-match comments basically putting the arrogant Okada in his place
. Going to be interesting to see what comes of this and where the titles go from here. Both the IWGP & IC belts will need challengers for New Beginning in February, I could see Suzuki going for either. Styles has to be back in contention, as well. Also, early NJ Cup final prediction;
Ibushi vs Okada
, book it.

CDiggity

The joys of living on the East Coast. Watched all of the show. Great stuff. Setting the bar high for 2015. Step it up other promotions.

EDIT: I still can't believe Ibushi is 32. He looks so much younger.

Enjoyed the show overall, the 4 hour no intermission time-slot had its ups and downs, I generally liked how focussed the show felt, but it lacked something with the entrances being rushed, fewer video packages and some of the undercard matches could've done with a few more minutes, the jr. tag title match especially. That's not to say it didn't have the big show feel, it absolutely did, but perhaps a notch down on the pageantry from last year. I thought everything from the 4th match onwards was well worth a watch, MiSu & Sakuaba brought it in their UWFi rules match, so many awesome touches to this and I loved how Suzuki sold his arm. Makabe & Ishii slugged the hell out of each other and I liked the finish playing into Ishii's fucked up shoulder. The Jr. title match was a Taguchi match, but he's always worked well with Omega and Kenny's goofy-ass anime character come to life persona made this entertaining. The tag title match was probably Karl & Doc's best match teaming together, they told a good story by teasing the mis-communication between Shibata & Goto that had plagued them early on in the tag league and the pay-off was awesome.

Naito vs Styles was a great singles bout, just a bit below their G1 encounter I'd say, although there Naito getting busted open added a lot to it and the crowd so badly wanted him to win. It was a different story here, both guys still did tremendously well, but I think this match may end up overlooked in the grand scheme of things. The IC title match was my match of the night, Nakamura is such an amazing character, everything he does feeds into his persona. He really is the complete package and I adored the story they showed here, Nakamura just oozing disrespect for Ibushi, who is perfectly suited to the fiery underdog role. They had me hook, line and sinker on the nearfall when Ibushi hit the boma ye, I think 2015 is going to be a very big year for him. Lastly, that main event - on the one hand I don't know what to make of the outcome, as
Okada vs Styles for the title seemed to be writing itself
, but on the other hand I think they worked an expertly paced match that's going to serve as great character development for
Okada
down the line.

Also, regarding the
finisher spam, the HFF has been established as a combo sort of move, Tana doesn't often beat top-tier opponents with just one. As for the Rainmaker, this was a BIG deal as it's easily the most protected move in recent years. However, earlier in the year Okada said he had invented a new move, but he wouldn't debut it until someone kicked out of the Rainmaker. He then said he didn't expect that to happen until 2025, so this played into the theme of the match and Tana's post-match comments basically putting the arrogant Okada in his place
. Going to be interesting to see what comes of this and where the titles go from here. Both the IWGP & IC belts will need challengers for New Beginning in February, I could see Suzuki going for either. Styles has to be back in contention, as well. Also, early NJ Cup final prediction;
Ibushi vs Okada
, book it.

I agree with you that I'm a little confused with the booking of the main event, You're risking fan burnout with Tanahashi if he continues to get the big win in the Tokyo Dome, you started to see that last night with half the fans cheering for Okada. While Tanahashi certainly has more skill than Cena, I think Tanahashi going to the ring, dropping 6-7 HFFs, doing his air guitar thing and screaming "Ai shimasu" is starting to get old, and look at what happened to Cena when his shtick got old. Not to mention Tanahashi is older than Cena and getting past his prime, they have a guy who can take over as the new Ace right there and they still refuse to give him the big win on the big stage.

New Japan's problem is that they haven't elevated any new guys they can plug into the main event scene, which the exception now of Ibushi. Sure there was AJ but he was already a well-established main eventer before joining NJPW. I love Naito but he keeps losing the big one, and there's only so many combinations of Tanahashi/Okada/AJ they can do right now, and to make matters worse you just stuck two guys who should be in the main event into the tag division with Goto and Shibata. Not saying they can't challenge for the titles while being tag champs. Also it's past time they got the IC title off of Swagsuke so he can go after the IWGP title again...the belt is prestigious enough, and I know Gedo and Jado love having him as champ so he can main event the twin shows like New Beginning and Dominion but he is so far beyond it right now it's disgusting.

liger05

Really people making comparisons between Tanahashi and Cena?

Tanahashi actually has ability and has a cv containing numerous great matches. Yes I personally hoped he would of stayed away from the title for longer but man c'mon champion or not Tanahashi does not disappoint when it comes to match quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom