• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NMH Switch: Will be written/directed by Suda

Directed by Suda?

They've said that about every other game that's come out of Grasshopper since the first NMH.

Excited either way, but I don't buy that he's actually directing.
They haven't, at least directly.

This is the first time he's said "Yes, I am directing this, which I have not done in ten years."

robotrock

Banned
Directed by Suda?

They've said that about every other game that's come out of Grasshopper since the first NMH.

He says he'll be directing for the first time in ten years, so he seems to know what he's saying here?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
nomoreheroeskapwq.gif

janoDX

While the hype train for NMH3 is starting to run. Why not re-release NMH 1+2 on the Switch? An HD remaster could be great at least on 2018. Then NMH3 on 2019.

I know, they could port NMHP but I prefer the full 1+2 story.

So did we ever get an accurate translation to what Suda said during the presentation?

That translator seemed to be having difficulties and the vibe I got from what he was able to translate, was something about indie games/development. This made me assume this new NMH isn't going to be anything on the scale of its predecessors.

This is only a partial translation embedded within a summary, but it's more thorough than what we heard.

While the hype train for NMH3 is starting to run. Why not re-release NMH 1+2 on the Switch? An HD remaster could be great at least on 2018. Then NMH3 on 2019.

I have no idea how the deal worked out for Suda to be able to make a new NMH, but I don't know if it includes getting Marvelous to release the old games.

Keep in mind, Grasshopper is owned by Gung Ho. NMH, at least until seemingly recently (maybe), belongs to Marvelous.

No more heroes is one of the most overrated franchises ever, i bought the original game because of all the hype at launch and gave its sequel a chance. Its repetitive, game play sucks, battle system is literally just mash one button until a marker appears to slash and dismember an enemy. The only positive thing about the game were the art style and music everything else was w/e.

IrishNinja

I have no idea how the deal worked out for Suda to be able to make a new NMH, but I don't know if it includes getting Marvelous to release the old games.

Keep in mind, Grasshopper is owned by Gung Ho. NMH, at least until seemingly recently (maybe), belongs to Marvelous.

wait, now i'm even more confused - who owns marvelous again?

They never directly mentioned No More Heroes right? All they said was Travis Touchdown was coming back.

Either way, excited since Suda is doing this one himself. I haven't like a single "Suda 51 game" after No More Heroes until Let It Die came out. Hopefully they get Masafumi Takada on board too. The original NMH has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time

"God Suda51's games are janky messes aren't they, why does the combat suck?".

Or my favourite:

"You can tell it is a Suda51 game when [insert quirky/crazy bit of the game here]"

Like:

"You can tell it is a Suda51 game when it has blonde cheerleaders decapitating zombies whilst having her boyfriend attached to her by the waist. Literally. God Suda games are so crazy. Ahaha, Suda-san you have done it again you mad genius."

Grrr.
I mean, it's not even that hard to detect when the guy doesn't have his hands on the game. There's the imitation "lol wtf so cray-cray!" style that people seem to attribute to him with post NMH games (aka after he stepped away from actual development and became a manager); and games like The Silver Case, Killer 7, and No More Heroes. There's a lot more to his games than exploitative Tarantino-esque style. He's an incredibly intelligent man and throws some pretty clever layers onto his games.

They already remastered NMH1 for PS3, that's a cakewalk port to the Switch. I approve.

nachum00

No more heroes is one of the most overrated franchises ever, i bought the original game because of all the hype at launch and gave its sequel a chance. Its repetitive, game play sucks, battle system is literally just mash one button until a marker appears to slash and dismember an enemy. The only positive thing about the game were the art style and music everything else was w/e.
That's cool

They never directly mentioned No More Heroes right? All they said was Travis Touchdown was coming back.

That's true. And Suda said he wanted to make a game that channels pro-wrestling so it is very possible this is not a NMH game in name or style.

Who knows. There's a lot of question marks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pro wrestling moves and motifs are all over NMH 1 and 2.

That being said I wouldn't mind a Suda Wrassling game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nice to have Suda back directing a game on a Nintendo console. Feels right.

He was always a big fan of nintendo and the "underdog" console.
I wonder if he personally went to nintendo or if nintendo did it themselves.

big fake

ANYTHING close to Killer 7 and NMH Is a dream for me. Travis Touchdown is part of the Killer 14, A SWITCH EXCLUSIVE! 14 SWITCHES CAN BE CONNECTED...!

I love Suda so much, I'm SOOOOO HAPPPPPPPYY!!!!!!

Pro wrestling moves and motifs are all over NMH 1 and 2.

That being said I wouldn't mind a Suda Wrassling game.

Suda actually got his start in games working on the Fire Pro Wrestling series, so it would be a fitting return

I'm just glad he's managed to escape management heaven

AniHawk

Directed by Suda?

suda actually really wants to be a hands-on director. that's what he likes doing. if he does nmh3 or whatever, that's absolutely what he'll do if he has his say.

cj_iwakura

That's very wrong.

He still wrote No More Heroes 2 and is actually credited equally with the NMH 2 Director in the credits:

BQFSPUGh.jpg

There's actually not a specific writer or director credit in the credits.

He flat out said in The Art of GHM that he was not happy with NMH2's story and said it was 'very thin', which was not like 1, where story was the most important.

Eolz

Not sure if it was posted, but here's some new info from Nintendoeverything:

- Kozaki is involved with more than just this illustration. Suda51 hopes to collaborate with some western artists he met overseas and want to do some character design.
- Will have collaborations with indie games.
- Story outline determined, dev just started, we won't see anything this year.
- Team cooperating with Marvelous, Nintendo supporting the dev.
- HD Rumble is better than Suda expected and will be implemented.
- Suda focusing on narrative for this new NMH.
- "The theme of (the Silver Case) was ”kill the past" and with this title, he'll be putting that theme on Travis's shoulder. Several killers character designs are already done and are apparently superb."

cj_iwakura

Not sure if it was posted, but here's some new info from Nintendoeverything:

- Kozaki is involved with more than just this illustration. Suda51 hopes to collaborate with some western artists he met overseas and want to do some character design.
- Will have collaborations with indie games.
- Story outline determined, dev just started, we won't see anything this year.
- Team cooperating with Marvelous, Nintendo supporting the dev.
- HD Rumble is better than Suda expected and will be implemented.
- Suda focusing on narrative for this new NMH.
- "The theme of (the Silver Case) was ”kill the past" and with this title, he'll be putting that theme on Travis's shoulder. Several killers character designs are already done and are apparently superb."

This sounds like what NMH2 should have been. NMH1 was a brilliant satire(I love the idea that
the whole game is a fantasy in Sylvia's daughter's head based on the painting
at the end), NMH2 was just a sloppy revenge story. The only parts that felt Suda-ish were the surreal Sylvia flashbacks and Alice/Twilight.

Ultimadrago

I'm so excited to see Suda will be directing this one, I love the series.

(Just please, make it better than NMH2. :/)

Agreed. I did not like NMH2, though I feel it's because the novelty of having a game like the original on the Wii faded. NoMoreHeroes 1 was rough in its own rights too, though I enjoyed it much more.

I dunno how to feel about a new installment because of this. It'll be on my radar, however.

AntMurda

But it's basically being developed by a "western indie team" it seems like. So his director role might be arbitrary, or slightly less significant than his "executive director" title used on the in-house games.

This sounds like what NMH2 should have been. NMH1 was a brilliant satire(I love the idea that the whole game is a fantasy in Sylvia's daughter's head based on the painting at the end), NMH2 was just a sloppy revenge story. The only parts that felt Suda-ish were the surreal Sylvia flashbacks and Alice/Twilight.

Ack you just spoiled NMH for me! I'm playing it for the first time due to this announcement.

Zalman

Well, I finally did something I've been thinking about doing for years: Ordered No More Heroes. Time to finally play these games.

Eolz

Travis is involved, but I have to wonder if this will be No More Heroes at all ( or at least as we know it)

I have to say I'm a bit worried it might be just some kind of cheap spinoff, but I think it'll probably be something like some kind of 2.5, partly rewriting 2 or something like that.

EDarkness

PS3 version is trash garbage. If NMH 1+2 are ported they'd need to be redone.

They need to port up the Wii versions. Both of them were awesome. Since we'll have motion controls, it'll be able to play them the way they were originally with better graphics.

cj_iwakura

I have to say I'm a bit worried it might be just some kind of cheap spinoff, but I think it'll probably be something like some kind of 2.5, partly rewriting 2 or something like that.
After how 2 ended, I'd think Travis would become a mentor, but I'm sure a writer like Suda could have a better idea. Maybe Sir Henry MF is the main antagonist.

Ryuuga

Banned

Possibly, I'm holding out hope that it's something I never knew I wanted ala Let it Die.

NotLiquid

I'm going to assume No More Heroes 3 doesn't follow up on the events of The Outer Rim which most likely ain't canon.

Spoilers for the series and The Outer Rim:
Travis attains immortality after the events of No More Heroes 2 and becomes a space traveler with Silvia, both of them having gotten married. I wonder whether or not that's where No More Heroes 3 will follow up on. Most likely not. Unless we're getting No More Heroes IN SPAAAAAACE.

cj_iwakura

I'm going to assume No More Heroes 3 doesn't follow up on the events of The Outer Rim which most likely ain't canon.

Spoilers for the series and The Outer Rim:
Travis attains immortality after the events of No More Heroes 2 and becomes a space traveler with Silvia, both of them having gotten married. I wonder whether or not that's where No More Heroes 3 will follow up on. Most likely not. Unless we're getting No More Heroes IN SPAAAAAACE.

I fancy myself a Suda Scholar and I have no idea what the hell Outer Rim is...

That sounds incredible, though. On every level.

After how 2 ended, I'd think Travis would become a mentor, but I'm sure a writer like Suda could have a better idea. Maybe Sir Henry MF is the main antagonist.
Maybe. I want heartbreak and Suda mindfucks, though.
Shinobu was cool in the first and became really lame in the second... I wouldn't mind her getting redeemed in the third and killed off to aim at our feels.

NotLiquid

I fancy myself a Suda Scholar and I have no idea what the hell Outer Rim is...

That sounds incredible, though. On every level.

It's an album but it contains skits with Robin Atkin Downes and Paula Tiso reprising their roles as Travis / Sylvia. I didn't realize up until now this came out two years before NMH2. It's like 99% not canon in the least but it funnily enough wouldn't contradict much of NMH2's story if it took place after that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13rhrr86_CI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkoMNkQb-nw

Top Bottom