• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No 5.1./7.1 surround sound in RDR2

Venuspower

Hey there!

I know it might sound like a first-world-problem. It maybe even is a first-world-problem.
But as a owner of a 7.1 audio system (which is not a cheap one) I really care about good sounding movies, games and all that stuff.
I am pretty sure some of you also have similar demands in that term. Unfortunately I do not hear people talking about it (some people only ask for help in HIFI forums, because they think their audio setup is broken). This is why I decided to create this thread.

The first thing I always check are the audio settings. What I immediately noticed is that RDR2
does not even give you an option to configure surround back Left/Right. From this point on I already knew that
RDR2 won't support 7.1 audio (Simply because it is the same with GTA V). I still looked for confirmation ingame. But of course SBR/SBL were silent. BTW: I use a PS4.

After playing for a while I started noticing that something else was missing too. Especially while dialogues were happening. Which happen really often in RDR2. It turned out to be the center channel. There was no audio coming out from it. At first I thought that my wiring is wrong. But this was not the case. Other games and movies worked just fine. The only explanation for that: The game does not even support 5.1 audio. Instead they only use a 4.1 layout. Fun fact: I re-tested GTA V and even GTA V does not have sound output via center. Never noticed it there, because I was playing it while I was building my speaker-setup. After that I only played GTA Online (with a non-speaking character).
Edit: Check Edit 2 for more information

In my opinion it is sad. RDR2 is not a cheap title that was made my one person. Same goes for GTA V.
For RDR2 it is even more sad because the audio quality in general is a masterpiece. This is makes the whole situation even worse.
Playing RDR2 with some good quality headphones is the best way to go at the moment. RDR2 and GTA V are the only games I know with these types of problem. Even with smaller titles I always had 7.1 sound.

I really do not get the point why Rockstar is failing so hard in terms like that. Pretty much the same with HDR in RDR2.
Studios like Naughty Dog over deliver in that perspective. Their audio-setup-menu is godlike.

Edit 1:
One last thing: It is possible to get audio from SBR/SBL. But it is not native. What you have to do is switching your audio output to Dolby (Bitstream) or DTS Bitstream. In the next step you need have to use Upmixers (e.g. ProLogicIIx, DTS Neo or Yamaha DSP Programs). These upmixer will help you do get audio und SBR/SBL (Center is still "offline"!). But remember: This still is not a perfect solution. Its more like a workaround. By using Bitstream the audio will be compressed (PS4 does not support DTS HD MSTR or True HD for games). The editing by the upmixer will also cause a quality loss. In other words: Due to the editing it is pretty likely that you won't hear the audio that was originally intended. For example: If you are hearing footsteps right behind you this could be wrong, because the person is on your right side. In that case your Upmixer simply made a wrong decision (by putting it e.g. on SBR insead of SR) . If the game had supported native 7.1 output you would not run in these problems. The game itself always know where audio has to come from. Upmixers do not.

Edit 2:
It turned out that the center channel is used while cutscenes are happening.
But whats even more interesting:
As soon as you start playing in First-person the game outputs dialogues from Arthur through the center. If you switch back to third person the
center will be ignored again.
On the one hand this decision makes sense. On the other hand it is pretty strange. Maybe it would have been better to give an option to the player.
Especially because the cutscenes happen in 3rd person. And dialogues there are also delivered through the center.

Edit 3:
It looks like the game differentiates between situations and First/Third person whether the center will be used or not.
Example:

- Go into first person, sit on your horse. Press L3 to "make your horse happy => Voices come over FL/FR
- Go into first person, sit on your horse. Press L3 to "make your horse happy => Voices come over the center

- In first person: Find some NPCs in the city or where ever you want. Press L2 and say hello or make them angry => For your voices the center is used; for the others FL/FR are used (at least from what I have seen)
- In third person FL/FR is used

- 1st person: Go and find a person that is a stranger or something like that (you can see these types of people when their dots are blinking) Talk to them => Both dialogues will come through your center
- 3rd person: Both dialogues come through your center

Edit 4:
It looks like the game predetermines which dialogue comes from which speaker by the relevance of the dialogue
For example: Stranger & Freaks missions, main missions and stuff like that will always output dialogue using the center channel.
Normal conversations like talking with random NPC in cities or talking to your horse are not that relevant. These conversations will remain on your FL/FR
But there is an option to force Arthurs dialogue to come through the center channel. As soon as you switch to first person the game will output Arthurs dialogue through the center channel. One downside here is: The dilogue of the other person will remain on FL/FR. Which really sounds strange if the dialogue is switching between center and FL/FR.

Last edited:

Cranberrys

Are you talking about LPCM 5.1/7.1 ? Because I use a Sony HT-MT500 soundbar in Surround Wireless Mode with a pair of Sony ZR5 speakers and I definitely have surround sound. I'm on Xbox One X, Dolby Digital to TV, TV HDMI ARC to soundbar and my surround speakers are active all the time. I Don't know about the center speaker since the MT500 is a 2.1 soundbar so the center channel is emulated but the voices come out are pretty clear. As for LPCM, I Don't know because my TV doesn't passthrough multi channel LPCM only Dolby/DTS. I can output LPCM 5.1 directly to the TV but through ARC it came out as LPCM 2.0 but in bistream, I definitely have surround sound.

TFGB

the next step you need a Yamaha AVR that features all these funny little DSP programs (From what I have tested Upmixer from Dolby and DTS do not work). Switching to e.g. Movie Theatre Spectacle will provide audio to SBR/SBL. Unfortunately the center channel still won't work.
Every AVR by every manufacturer produced in the last 10 years will have various DSP/pseudo surround modes...they’re not unique to Yamaha.

I’ve yet to purchase RDR2 so can’t test the multichannel audio, but is there a submenu in the audio options that allows you to switch between TV Speakers/ Home Cinema and/or dynamic range?

Last edited:

Cranberrys

At the very beginning of the game, there's a legal mention with "Dolby and Double D are trademarks…" so I'm assuming at least the game supports Dolby Digital and in the audio menu, you can choose between Surround, TV, Stereo and Headphones. There's also a Front & Rear Surround position setup. I use Surround mode with Front Speakers on Narrow (since it's a soundbar) and Medium for the surround speakers, it works fine.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
This sucks if it’s true.

I tried Googling it and some Youtuber posted a video 40 minutes ago saying “RDR 2 sounds amazing in 7.1!”. I haven’t watched it.

Would be funny if the Youtuber didn’t know what he was talking about.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
This is what I'm seeing for sound options on PS4:
Drp-QMlt-Xg-AAnwu-A.jpg

It lets you select where the front speakers are and I assume the "TV" up there is the center. It does 5.1 but not 7.1. I'm not really sure what games do actually do 7.1 on PS4. None that I've tired since getting my 7.1 system, it would seen. Shame R2R doesn't.

Not sure if XB1 does have 7.1 and PS4 doesn't. More than likely though the guy is actually just in 5.1 but of course the side sound is coming through both the side and rear speakers and he's being fooled.

Last edited:

Venuspower

Are you talking about LPCM 5.1/7.1 ? Because I use a Sony HT-MT500 soundbar in Surround Wireless Mode with a pair of Sony ZR5 speakers and I definitely have surround sound.

I’ve yet to purchase RDR2 so can’t test the multichannel audio, but is there a submenu in the audio options that allows you to switch between TV Speakers/ Home Cinema and/or dynamic range?

Yep. I am talking about LPCM 5.1/7.1.
Even switching the console output to Bitstream does not change anything.
Surround itself is not the problem. Surround Left and Right are working fine in all cases.
Thats why I was talking about 4.1 in my OP. This could be the reason why you have no problems
with your setup.

Surround Back Left/Right are the speakers that do not work. They are only part in 7.1 setups.
These are the speakers that are placed behind you while Surround Left and Right are right next to you.

At the very beginning of the game, there's a legal mention with "Dolby and Double D are trademarks…" so I'm assuming at least the game supports Dolby Digital and in the audio menu, you can choose between Surround, TV, Stereo and Headphones. There's also a Front & Rear Surround position setup. I use Surround mode with Front Speakers on Narrow (since it's a soundbar) and Medium for the surround speakers, it works fine.

Of course there is a option for surround speakers. But they are not the problem.
The thing is: Surround Back Right and Left are not supported. SL/SR are working just fine.
For these speakers there is not option available ingame.

Do not get me wrong here. With soundbars you usually won't have such problems. Most soundbars are only 2.0/2.1. Even if manufacturers say they are 5.1/7.1. They simply are not. 5.1/7.1 is made via emulation.
You really need dedicated SBR/SBL (SL/SR are not the problem) speakers in order to "hear" the problem (well, you can't hear the problem, because there is no audio).

Dolby Digital itself does not mean that much. Usually you do not want to use it anyways. Simply because DD or DTS are limiting audio output to 5.1 anyways. Beside that they are compressed.

ejRweab.png

This sucks if it’s true.

I tried Googling it and some Youtuber posted a video 40 minutes ago saying “RDR 2 sounds amazing in 7.1!”. I haven’t watched it.

Would be funny if the Youtuber didn’t know what he was talking about.

I guess this dude does not know what he is talking about.
Would not surprise me at all. He is probably using 7ch mode or something like that where every speaker plays the the same sound effect.

Every AVR by every manufacturer produced in the last 10 years will have various DSP/pseudo surround modes...they’re not unique to Yamaha.

Of course all of them have DSPs. But Yamaha is still a little bit special in this regards.
However... Only DSP programs are able to bring SBR/SBL back to live at the moment.

Of course RDR2 also has an option to switch between TV, Stereo and Surround Sound. But as I said. Even if you turn on surround sound it only gives you the option to edit FL/FR/SL/SR. SBR/SBL are ignored.

I'm not really sure what games do actually do 7.1 on PS4. None that I've tired since getting my 7.1 system, it would seen. Shame R2R doesn't.

All games I have play (that are not from R*) so far supported 7.1 audio (Even games like NMS).
Games from Naughty Dog have one of the best implementations.

Also do not forget the missing Center channel. I really do not know whats worse.

Edit: I opened a support ticket. But I do not think I will get a meaningful response.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I guess I didn't pay enough attention, but the game sounded great on my 7.1 through PS4 Pro.

Venuspower

I guess I didn't pay enough attention, but the game sounded great on my 7.1 through PS4 Pro.

Sure. The audio design itself is really good. Thats why it is even more sad that they failed so hard with missing support for SBL/SBR and center.
If your Front speakers are placed correctly the missing center channel won't be such a big deal thanks to the phantom center.
Feel free to test it with your setup. Make sure you do not use any DSP programs on your AVR. Just use "straight" and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

TFGB

Of course all of them have DSPs. But Yamaha is still a little bit special in this regards.
However... Only DSP programs are able to bring SBR/SBL back to live at the moment.
Without sounding pressing, Yamaha are ‘special’ in what way?

Cranberrys

Yep. I am talking about LPCM 5.1/7.1.
Even switching the console output to Bitstream does not change anything.
Surround itself is not the problem. Surround Left and Right are working fine in all cases.
Thats why I was talking about 4.1 in my OP. This could be the reason why you have no problems
with your setup.

Surround Back Left/Right are the speakers that do not work. They are only part in 7.1 setups.
These are the speakers that are placed behind you while Surround Left and Right are right next to you.

Of course there is a option for surround speakers. But they are not the problem.
The thing is: Surround Back Right and Left are not supported. SL/SR are working just fine.
For these speakers there is not option available ingame.

Do not get me wrong here. With soundbars you usually won't have such problems. Most soundbars are only 2.0/2.1. Even if manufacturers say they are 5.1/7.1. They simply are not. 5.1/7.1 is made via emulation.
You really need dedicated SBR/SBL (SL/SR are not the problem) speakers in order to "hear" the problem (well, you can't hear the problem, because there is no audio).

Dolby Digital itself does not mean that much. Usually you do not want to use it anyways. Simply because DD or DTS are limiting audio output to 5.1 anyways. Beside that they are compressed.

ejRweab.png

Thanks for your explanation.

I'm guessing my soundbar is a 4.1 system when configured in Surround Wireless since I have the two fronts, a sub and a pair of surround speakers and the center is emulated.

To tell you the truth, even if the MT500 is a competent soundbar (pretty good for stereo music listening) I can't hear the Dolby Digital limitations. In any case, it doesn't emulate 7.1 since it doesn't have HDMI inputs, just an HDMI ARC and optical in so I'm limited to classic Dolby/DTS 5.1. Still, it's pretty nice.

Venuspower

Without sounding pressing, Yamaha are ‘special’ in what way?

Their DSP programs are special in terms of quality.
Their new SurroundAI is another example for that.
Nevertheless we should not go offtopic.

Last edited:

TFGB

Their DSP programs are special in terms of quality.
Their new SurroundAI is another example for that.
Nevertheless we should not go offtopic.
Yamaha DSPs are more expansive in terms of quantity, but quality is subjective. Regardless, the Cinema DSPs are affecting the dynamic range, eq, reverb/delay and stereo width...so as regards to your original comment that you need a Yamaha AVR to create a matrixed 7.1 mix (i.e utilising the SBL & SBR channels) from a stereo or 5.1 soundtrack is incorrect as most modern AVRs can do this via various processing modes i.e Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

Back to the original query...it sounds as though Rockstar have utilised a phantom centre which is a bit unfortunate for those with multichannel setups that struggle to hear dialogue on their systems from some sources. I’ll have to purchase the game to see how it performs on my setups.

Last edited:

Venuspower

.so as regards to your original comment that you need a Yamaha AVR to create a matrixed 7.1 mix (i.e utilising the SBL & SBR channels) from a stereo or 5.1 soundtrack is incorrect as most modern AVRs can do this via various processing modes i.e Dolby Pro Logic IIx.
I tested it once again with ProLogic IIx. Now it worked just fine. I do not know what happened last time.
Maybe it did not work because the game was running when I changed the settings in the PS4 audio menu.
I will edit my post.

Last edited:

TFGB

I do agree that it’s a bit lame that Rockstar haven’t done a proper 5.1 mix on a game of this scale purely for potential dialogue problems. :/

Venuspower

I do agree that it’s a bit lame that Rockstar haven’t done a proper 5.1 mix on a game of this scale purely for potential dialogue problems. :/

It is more than lame if you ask me. It should not even take more space on the hard drive.
Maybe someone from Rockstar will read this thread (I highly doubt it, but you never know).
If I get a respond from their support I will post it. I still hope it is a bug (at least the missing center channel). But nah...

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
All games I have play (that are not from R*) so far supported 7.1 audio (Even games like NMS).
Games from Naughty Dog have one of the best implementations.

Also do not forget the missing Center channel. I really do not know whats worse.
They tend to output through all speakers though I'm not really sure if they're doing true 7.1. That said, I paid close attention as I was playing earlier and center channel seems to work for me. Generally Arthur's voice is coming through the center channel.

Venuspower

They tend to output through all speakers though I'm not really sure if they're doing true 7.1. That said, I paid close attention as I was playing earlier and center channel seems to work for me. Generally Arthur's voice is coming through the center channel.

It can not be "fake" 7.1 if there there is audio on these channels.
The PS4 itself does not apply upmixing.
Your comment about the center is pretty interesting. Are we talking about Cutscenes?
In general gameplay (random conversations and stuff like that) my center stays silent.

I finished the game already. So I am going to test another save file as soon as I find the treasure I am looking for.

Edit: Ok, I tested it again with a cutscene. I can confirm, that audio is comming through the center, while a cutscene is playing.
As soon as you swap over the center channel is gone. At least from what I have seen so far. Pretty strange choice to use the
center while cutscene, but not while normal gameplay where tons of dialogues happen aswell.

Edit 2:
One more interesting thing I found out:
If you switch to First person dialogue output will happen from the center.
So in theory the game does not ignore the center. The developers only made a strange choice by locking center output behinder first person.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Weird, I noticed while I was riding with my crew during a mission, I was following by horse back, the dialogue was ONLY coming out of my center speaker. If I panned the camera the audio wouldn't shift over to the left/right speakers. So I'm definitely getting dialogue out of the center channel. I too, always check audio options (all options actually, I like options) first in a game.

Venuspower

Weird, I noticed while I was riding with my crew during a mission, I was following by horse back, the dialogue was ONLY coming out of my center speaker. If I panned the camera the audio wouldn't shift over to the left/right speakers. So I'm definitely getting dialogue out of the center channel. I too, always check audio options (all options actually, I like options) first in a game.

Are you playing in first person or third person?
As I found out a few minutes ago the center is used in first person gameplay. But not while playing around in 3rd person.

Geki-D

Banned
It can not be "fake" 7.1 if there there is audio on these channels.
The PS4 itself does not apply upmixing.
Your comment about the center is pretty interesting. Are we talking about Cutscenes?
In general gameplay (random conversations and stuff like that) my center stays silent.

I finished the game already. So I am going to test another save file as soon as I find the treasure I am looking for.

Edit: Ok, I tested it again with a cutscene. I can confirm, that audio is comming through the center, while a cutscene is playing.
As soon as you swap over the center channel is gone. At least from what I have seen so far. Pretty strange choice to use the
center while cutscene, but not while normal gameplay where tons of dialogues happen aswell.

Edit 2:
One more interesting thing I found out:
If you switch to First person dialogue output will happen from the center.
So in theory the game does not ignore the center. The developers only made a strange choice by locking center output behinder first person.
I noticed it outside of a cutscene in third person.

Venuspower

I noticed it outside of a cutscene in third person.

This becomes even stranger.
Are you sure no Upmixers etc. are active?
Is your AVR running in Straight or Pure Direct?
Is you PS4 conntected via Toslink or via HDMI?
Is your PS4 conntected to your TV or an AVR?

I already tried the audio settings you posted above.
But nothing changed.

Edit:
Now this is interesting: I finally had a dialogue where the game took use of my center (even in 3rd person).
So there has to be something implemented into RDR2 that makes a decision whether your output will be through FL/FR or center.

This should make it easier to understand what I am talking about:
- Go into first person, sit on your horse. Press L3 to "make your horse happy => Voices come over FL/FR
- Go into first person, sit on your horse. Press L3 to "make your horse happy => Voices come over the center

- In first person: Find some NPCs in the city or where ever you want. Press L2 and say hello or make them angry => For your voices the center is used; for the others FL/FR are used (at least from what I have seen)

- 1st person: Go and find a person that is a stranger or something like that (you can see these types of people when their dots are blinking) Talk to them => Both dialogues will come through your center

This really is strange.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Are you playing in first person or third person?
As I found out a few minutes ago the center is used in first person gameplay. But not while playing around in 3rd person.

I'm in 3rd.

I"ll answer what you posted up above just for the heck of it. I'm turning on RDR2 right now as well.

No upmixers, Straight, HDMI, AVR, Bitstream in PS4 options.

Venuspower

I'm in 3rd.

I"ll answer what you posted up above just for the heck of it. I'm turning on RDR2 right now as well.

No upmixers, Straight, HDMI, AVR, Bitstream in PS4 options.

I just found out some new details about the whole situation.

What you could try is this:

- In first person: Find some NPCs in the city or whereevery you want. Press L2 and say hello or make them angry => For your voices the center is used; for the others FL/FR are used (at least from what I have seen)

Or does everything (without any exception come through your center in the examples I posted above?).

BTW: In your case you should always use LPCM in your system settings. This saves some unnecessary compression.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I just found out some new details about the whole situation.

What you could try is this:

Or does everything (without any exception come through your center in the examples I posted above?).

Didn't see this post but I tested stuff in normal gameplay.

It's 4.0 (I'm on a 5.1 system).

The center speaker gets no action in normal gameplay or conversation (L2 + Square etc). Maybe in does it in specific situations (cutscenes, or like how I said I was riding with my crew and they were talking which was all scripted). But no center action at all.

Back speakers work in normal gameplay. I can hear my horse behind me, I can talk and conversate with people, pan the camera and hear the voices go from FL > FR > BR > BL etc.

4.0(1) for sure in normal gameplay. I didn't try First Person.

Last edited:

Venuspower

The center speaker gets no action in normal gameplay or conversation (L2 + Square etc). Maybe in does it in specific situations (cutscenes, or like how I said I was riding with my crew and they were talking which was all scripted). But no center action at all.

Did some more testing. I really looks like the game predetermines which dialogue comes from which speaker.
It looks like this predetermination depents on the relevance of the dialogue. For example: Stranger & Freaks missions, main missions and all that stuff
will always have center output. While normal talking (e.g. saying hi to persons, talking to your horse) is not as relevant for the game.
One way to affect this decision can be done by switching to first person. What happens now is, that your dialogues come through the center.
However, the dialogue from the other person will remain on FL/FR (Even in first person). Which is a really strange decision.

From what I learned so far they really invested quite some time into this process. Unfortunately the current implementation sounds wrong in a lot of situations.
Maybe they should not have invested that much time into this. Instead they could have used it to support 7.1.

Back speakers work in normal gameplay. I can hear my horse behind me, I can talk and conversate with people, pan the camera and hear the voices go from FL > FR > BR > BL etc.

4.0(1) for sure in normal gameplay. I didn't try First Person.

Yea sure. Would surprise me if your Surround Speakers would not work.
In a 7.1 setup surround speakers also work just fine. Only the 2nd pair of surround speakers are silent.

Edit:
Rockstar support answered my ticket. They clearly did not understand the issue. They recommend to delete the user profile where my settings are saved.

Last edited:

drotahorror

That is really stupid sound direction. Like wtf R*.

I really hadn't paid super attention to it but now that I know it's like something festering away at me.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
This becomes even stranger.
Are you sure no Upmixers etc. are active?
Is your AVR running in Straight or Pure Direct?
Is you PS4 conntected via Toslink or via HDMI?
Is your PS4 conntected to your TV or an AVR?

I already tried the audio settings you posted above.
But nothing changed.

Edit:
Now this is interesting: I finally had a dialogue where the game took use of my center (even in 3rd person).
So there has to be something implemented into RDR2 that makes a decision wheater your output will be through FL/FR or center.

This should make it easier to understand what I am talking about:

- In first person: Find some NPCs in the city or whereevery you want. Press L2 and say hello or make them angry => For your voices the center is used; for the others FL/FR are used (at least from what I have seen)

This really is strange.
I really looked into this now and I'm getting center audio on pretty much everything bar stereo and it's not just dialogue.

Are you sure no Upmixers etc. are active? - I have center in all modes so it doesn't seem to matter. I have center in direct and direct is pretty much straight from the source with nothing extra.

Is your AVR running in Straight or Pure Direct? - I have center audio on both. However no SB speakers on direct or pure direct.

Is you PS4 connected via Toslink or via HDMI? - HDMI

Is your PS4 connected to your TV or an AVR? - AVR

Venuspower

That is really stupid sound direction. Like wtf R*.

I really hadn't paid super attention to it but now that I know it's like something festering away at me.

Sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I really looked into this now and I'm getting center audio on pretty much everything bar stereo and it's not just dialogue.
This is strange. So you are hearing your horse, shots and al that stuff from the center aswell? Or have I missunderstood something?
Thats something I clearly have not encountered yet in RDR2. Some other games offer these features. Like The Last of Us where you are
able to have dialogues and effects on the center channel.
But from what I have tested to far there is only dialogue on the center in some special moments. I also unplugged all other speakers except the center in order to
see what exactly comes out of the center.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Yeah, I'm getting all sound. SBs are dead, though. This game definitely isn't 7.1.

Last edited:

Venuspower

Yeah, I'm getting all sound. SBs are dead, though. This game definitely isn't 7.1.

Is it the same audio that Front Left/Front Right/SL/SR are getting?
And you are definitely using Straight/Direct (however it is called by your AVR), if not make sure to use them.
What AVR do you have?

Something with RDR2 really is messed up I think.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Is it the same audio that Front Left/Front Right/SL/SR are getting? - Seems so, yes.
And you are definitely using Straight/Direct - The sound is multi channel Linear PCM, far as I'm aware that's "straight/direct".
What AVR do you have? - Denon avr x2400h

meh dolby atmos is where it is it .
7.1 is pleb set up
You actually have a ATOM setup? Pretty sure no games even support it anyway so it's sort of a moot point.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Is it the same audio that Front Left/Front Right/SL/SR are getting? - Seems so, yes.
And you are definitely using Straight/Direct - The sound is multi channel Linear PCM, far as I'm aware that's "straight/direct".

You actually have a ATOM setup? Pretty sure no games even support it anyway so it's sort of a moot point.
Plenty on xbox one x

Venuspower

If it is the same audio on every speaker there is something wrong.
From what I remember Multi Channel In 5.1/7.1 etc. should be correct. In that term you should be fine.
I really do not know why you have sound via center all the time.
Maybe I am in the mood to dig out my old Denon X-4100W tomorrow. But I really do not know if I want to rewire all my cables :D

Edit 1: I will dig my X-4100 out now :D

Edit 2: Geki-D Geki-D

It went faster than I thought. Long story short: Even with my Denon X-4100W I have the same phenomen that I have with my Yamaha RX-A2080. So I think it is pretty save to say that it is the game itself does not deliver audio via center most of the time (except cutscenes and the other sequences I talked about earlier.

I really do not know why there is audio on your center all of the time. Usually you should have the same situation that I have.
While I was testing I took 2 photos of the audio settings I selected. Maybe it will help. But I think you already selected these settings.

IVN5bab.jpg

gRKpcab.jpg

Last edited:

WolfRathmA

Finally someone find a solution about this. I was thinking that i was the only one. I couldn't find anything to find a solution. Even the Rockstar support didn't mention this to solved my problem.

Thank you for mentioned it! Everything works as you said.

Venuspower

Just a small update:
As I already said in an earlier post I contacted R* Support.
At first they did not really understand the issue at all (thats the problem with 1-Level-support lol).
They thought it is bug in my setup.

In my second reply I explained it even better. At least they said that they want to report it to the audio department.
But I really do not believe this is going to happen (If you know someone who knows someone you know that to do :p).

As I was looking around in the WWW I found another dude who made two videos about the issue with the center.
But I do not think R* gave him much attention either.

I will link his videos down here:

Whats real sad about the whole situation is that some people really think their sound system it the reason for these problems.

Last edited:

Venuspower

While lurking around in some other forums I found someone else
who plays on XBox. He mentioned that his subwoofer is not working in RDR2. Other games or movies
are fine.
I tested it myself on PS4. But I can not reproduce this issue.
Would be cool if someone here with an XBox One (X) could test it.

Usually you should "hear"/"feel" the subwoofer even while riding your horse.
Just touch the membrane of the subwoofer really carefull and you should feel it if
the subwoofer is working.

base

Banned
Just curious. I have a Sony CT790 soundbar connected through ARC to KS8000. It's set to Bitstream, should I go LPCM? Will it pass better sound with it?

Venuspower

Just curious. I have a Sony CT790 soundbar connected through ARC to KS8000. It's set to Bitstream, should I go LPCM? Will it pass better sound with it?

In theory it is better to use LPCM in terms of quality.
If you are going to hear the quality difference also depents on the quality of your
speakers.

If you also have Surround Speakers you should use Bitstream.
Otherwise ARC does not allow Multi channel audio. If you only have your soundbar then feel
free to test LCPM. In personally would use it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
And then there's me sitting over here with my stereo turtle beach stealth 400x looking up literally every acronym the OP mentions.

I want to contribute, but I think I'mma just observe on this one.

jlingo

Neo Member
I am having issues with sound coming from my subwoofer in Red Dead Redemption 2 all other speakers showing to be working. I have my PS4 Slim into Sony STR-DN1080 and 4k HDMI going to XBR65X900F. The subwoofer is working when set to Dolby Digital when playing other games.... Black Ops 4 , God of War, Assasins Creed Origins. I need to try to connect PS4 to TV direct and then back feed on HDMI using ARC and AVR on TV Source. I have tried changing the surround type with no luck. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Its your fault by buying a niche expensive product. For games, for movies yes you should expect support.

It's like you jamokes that buy ultrawide monitors and cry about no support lol.

Buy quality speakers sure, I do that. But limit it to stereo.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Its your fault by buying a niche expensive product. For games, for movies yes you should expect support.

Yeah, 5.1/7.1 is a real niche alright. One game has messed up audio so I guess the whole notion of surround sound needs to be scrapped, uh huh.

One of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Don't be like this person gaf, ever.

Venuspower

I am having issues with sound coming from my subwoofer in Red Dead Redemption 2 all other speakers showing to be working. I have my PS4 Slim into Sony STR-DN1080 and 4k HDMI going to XBR65X900F. The subwoofer is working when set to Dolby Digital when playing other games.... Black Ops 4 , God of War, Assasins Creed Origins. I need to try to connect PS4 to TV direct and then back feed on HDMI using ARC and AVR on TV Source. I have tried changing the surround type with no luck. Any ideas?

Sounds pretty strange, because other games are working fine.
Make sure that your subwoofer really does not work (sometimes it is hard to tell) . Simply touch the membrane really carefully while you play RDR2. Usually you should feel the membrane moving while riding your horse.

Usually you want to connect everything like that:
Sources (PS4, Blu Ray Player etc.) => HDMI In AVR => HDMI TV

I personally would not recommend connecting your PS4 straight into your TV. Usually you will get lip sync problems. Some TVs do not even support surround sound via ARC.

Other than that make sure to select PCM in your PS4 setup menu.

Fun Fact: Games are the leading medium in terms of surround sound effects (for quite some time).
In games 7.1 output has been standard for years. Even movies do not use surround speakers that perfect. Also 5.1/7.1 setups are far away from being a niche product.

A game that does not have a proper surround sound implementation can be compared to a Star Wars movie that only has a mono track.

Last edited:
Yeah, 5.1/7.1 is a real niche alright. One game has messed up audio so I guess the whole notion of surround sound needs to be scrapped, uh huh.

One of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time.
Plenty of games don't have it.

Tbh I think it's kind of dumb anyway. You're looking at a screen, a 2D window, it feels off/gimmicky to hear something come from behind.

Funny to see snowflakes butthurt about my thoughts though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom