• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No 5.1./7.1 surround sound in RDR2

Surround sound is a gimmick. What year is this?!!!
It's 1998 in my head!

But seriously, surround makes sense to me for VR when you have a 360 degree window, but with a flat screen where everything is in front of you it never made sense to me. Like... that sound isn't actually coming from where that enemy is, it's trickery so I just have this disconnect with it.

And i'm not scared by horror games so having that growl come at me from a different angle isn't going to improve my experience.

Venuspower

But seriously, surround makes sense to me for VR when you have a 360 degree window, but with a flat screen where everything is in front of you it never made sense to me. Like... that sound isn't actually coming from where that enemy is, it's trickery so I just have this disconnect with it.
- For VR you should use 3D Audio if you really want to get an "immersion".
- So, you never saw any movie/game where objects/noise/etc. came e.g. from behind the person on screen? If you are in a jungle you won't hear stuff right next or behind you? ok.

BTW, surround sound exists since 1950/60. So even if you are living in 1998 you should not be surprised that people are
using surround sound setups.

I really think that you do not have an idea what surround sound is about. You probably also never had a chance to listen to a good quality surround sound mix/ a good surround sound setup. In other words: Instead of shitposting about things you have no idea of you could just do some more productive stuff. Play some games, meet some friends or if you really are interested in audio: Build a proper surround sound setup. Apart from that: You are a bad troll.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I never thought I'd be in a thread in 2018 where someone would be arguing that 5.1 surround sound is niche. My first experience with 5.1 surround was in like 2001 and I was surely not that early.

I remember getting a widescreen TV and a 5.1 system in around 2000 and both those things were seen as somewhat niche back then. I think they are both common now especially the Widescreen TVs can you even get 4:3 TV's these days? but yeh I would not call surround sound niche.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's 1998 in my head!

And i'm not scared by horror games so having that growl come at me from a different angle isn't going to improve my experience.

What? So when enemies are firing at me from behind in Borderlands 2 and I hear the gun shots from behind me that doesnt make sense to you? You realize the sound is suppose to pan with the position of its source right? If I turn the camera 360 degrees, that gunfire will move from the back speakrs to the front speakers, as the enemies are now in front of me.

A.Romero

I love surround sound. High quality sound is just as important as picture quality to me.

I can understand why it's not critical to most given that the majority of people have only experienced a good set up at the movie theater for movies. I bet a lot of people would change their minds if they had the opportunity to play RDR2 with a good set up (not bars/headphones).

What? So when enemies are firing at me from behind in Borderlands 2 and I hear the gun shots from behind me that doesnt make sense to you? You realize the sound is suppose to pan with the position of its source right? If I turn the camera 360 degrees, that gunfire will move from the back speakrs to the front speakers, as the enemies are now in front of me.
Its not that hard to understand. There's nothing actually behind me so why have sound go there - my thoughts. To me its an expensive gimmick and again its hilarious people are upset or think I'm trolling them lol. I insulted your precious purchases lol.

I get what you're saying, though. My main point from post 1 is don't be upset when you buy something that isn't the standard setup (like an hdtv is) and be upset whenever its not supported. 1st world problem indeed.

For the record I have really nice stereo speakers and pretty good $200 open air headphones so I do care about sound quality, just not surround.

Last edited:
A speaker is behind me. Not anything I'm interacting with in the game.
Come on, I know you're not this dense.

Not everyone is going to agree with you sunshine.

Venuspower

You really do not (want to) understand what surround sound is about.
Thats the problem.

The game/movie does not just stay in the television. People, objects, animals and all that stuff can
leave and enter the picture from different sides (they can stay out of the picture and still be there aswell).

Just a quick example where pod racers leave the picture:
8mpfceiys.gif

starwarsepisodevireturnoft.gif

Besides that: As a human you also have a limited FoV. Nontheless you are able to hear things around you in a three dimensional way. Just because you do not see it, it does not mean that nothing is there. Thats the same with movies.
Sure youre picture is limited by the television. But that does not mean that the "world inside the movie" ends.
Games take even more advantage of these "effects".
Just imagine you are playing RDR2, riding through a forrest when you suddenly hear the roar of a bear from behind you. After hearing his roar you turn your camera around and suddenly there is a bear right in front of you. Thats the point. Surround sound can increase your immersion. 3D Audio does it even better. With the help of these features you can dive into the game/movie even better. It will be much easier to "ignore" the room you are sitting in.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

Has there ever been a solution to this problem? Someone on reddit said if you got a 7.1-setuo you should set the sound to "5.1" in the Xbox-System menu, otherwise you won´t get sound out if your rear speakers. So with 7.1 setting in the system menu the AVR won´t scale up from 5.1 to 7.1, because he thinks he gets a 7.1 signal, but the rears will stay silent this way.

Last edited:

Venuspower

Has there ever been a solution to this problem? Someone on reddit said if you got a 7.1-setuo you should set the sound to "5.1" in the Xbox-System menu, otherwise you won´t get sound out if your rear speakers. So with 7.1 setting in the system menu the AVR won´t scale up from 5.1 to 7.1, because he thinks he gets a 7.1 signal, but the rears will stay silent this way.

Rockstar has not addressed this issue.

Which is sad for such a famous studio. I mean... we
are talking about a AAA game that only supports 5.1 while every crappy indie title has support
for 7.1 surround sound systems.

The 5.1 workaround you mentioned does indeed work.
However, it is just a upmixed signal and not a native 7.1 signal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom