• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

You mean the lady who started the whole war? She doesn't belong on anybody's cool wall.

I missed the part where she killed her husband, or where she caused the queen to have sex with het brother apparantly. None of this would have happened without Cersei. Lady Stark is cool.

big ander

Yeah, I'm not saying it is bad or that she should feel badly. I'm just saying she looked typically shocked when she accidentally killed that fat kid. Now, recalling she is a pre-teen girl, Arya's look started to become rather casually satisfied. Except for maybe Joffery and Cersei, there are no black and white characters, but I think Arya's character is the clearest in showing the drift towards gray with characters starting off closer to white.
Oh definitely, she's being desensitized and she's darkening. I don't think she's becoming bad though, or even that ambiguous. She's still good, just in some massively difficult situations. Especially for a young girl.

sangreal

The difference is Tywin knows. He knew everything bone headed his grandson was doing (Which is why Tyrion is there now).

It's odd that he knows everything but the fact that one of the girls is missing. He would have to know that considering it would be a very important bargaining chip (Especially since on the surface, Sansa has turned to the dark side already).

Well, in the first episode of the season Tyrion points out that Tywin would be furious if he found out so it seems that he doesn't know, and Cersei is actively trying to keep it that way

Zeliard

The difference is Tywin knows. He knew everything bone headed his grandson was doing (Which is why Tyrion is there now).

It's odd that he knows everything but the fact that one of the girls is missing. He would have to know that considering it would be a very important bargaining chip (Especially since on the surface, Sansa has turned to the dark side already).

I think Tyrion is withholding that information from Tywin since he's using it as leverage to keep Cersei in line.

I missed the part where she killed her husband, or where she caused the queen to have sex with het brother apparantly. None of this would have happened without Cersei. Lady Stark is cool.

You apparently did miss the part where Tywin Lannister raises his army and invades and rapes and pillages the Riverlands, her homeland after she arrests Tyrion Lannister. Also, Ned might have done better for himself if he wasn't crippled with his best men dead, because Jaime Lannister killed them. Because she arrested Tyrion Lannister.

Everything after the arrest was just escalation. She started the war. Sure, it might have gone away with only a few hundred dead peasants and burned villages if Ned hadn't died. Maybe.

Martian

for quick and easy orientation

EG2tn.jpg

Nice!

I updated it a little bit. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

I upped Daenerys from the Uncool-wall to the Ehhh-wall

So, everyone seems ok with Arya calling out hits to the people on her "prayer" list? That seems pretty dark to me.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out HBO's map again to see the Fist of the First Men (where Sam was saying they were), and where Torrenhen's Square is in relation to Winterfell.
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/#!/map/locations/

So Torrhen's Square is a keep with 30 feet high walls. Seems like an odd target for Theon's little crew, even if most of the keeps defenders are away fighting in the war.

Zeliard

Probably not a popular opinion, but I think Stannis is 'cool'... of sorts. The man has a hell of a card to play with Melisandre. Hard to really blame him for doing so.

I mean if your significant other had devastating superpowers and you were involved in a bloody war, you'd probably use those to your advantage. And he actually does have the best claim to the throne.

I like his no-nonsense attitude.

It's also dangerous to inform Tywin by raven because the message could be intercepted.

True, good point.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I think Stannis is 'cool'... of sorts. The man has a hell of a card to play with Melisandre. Hard to really blame him for doing so.

I mean if your significant other had devastating superpowers and you were involved in a bloody war, you'd probably use those to your advantage. And he actually does have the best claim to the throne.

I was thinking that last night. I love Stannis, and the actor they cast is perfect.

Joni

You apparently did miss the part where Tywin Lannister raises his army and invades and rapes and pillages the Riverlands, her homeland after she arrests Tyrion Lannister. Also, Ned might have done better for himself if he wasn't crippled with his best men dead, because Jaime Lannister killed them. Because she arrested Tyrion Lannister.

Everything after the arrest was just escalation. She started the war. Sure, it might have gone away with only a few hundred dead peasants and burned villages if Ned hadn't died. Maybe.

But her entire reason for arresting Tyrion was Cersei and Jaime having an affair and pushing down Brann.

pringles

Great episode, the best of Season 2 so far and maybe top 3 of the entire show so far.

Nice!

I updated it a little bit. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

I upped Daenerys from the Uncool-wall to the Ehhh-wall
You've got seriously weird taste in the GoT-characters. Jon Snow over Robb Stark?? No way!
Catelyn Stark is also the best female character apart from Arya, and Tyrion's prostitute (Shaye?) is maybe the most uncool, annoying and uninteresting of all characters seen in the show so far.

The chart also needs a 'God-tier', so far only inhabited by Ned Stark ( his legacy is so strong I still consider him an alive character in the show).

Yeah I think he is a great character. I was iffy about him at first but he's grown more and more on me, much having to do with the actor who is great.

True, good point.

Not having a shit eating grin about the trump card he has is a nice characterization.

Did they ever reveal who actually hired the guy to kill Bran? I know Little Finger gave the dagger to Tyrion but who actually gave it to the assassin?

Martian

Great episode, the best of Season 2 so far and maybe top 3 of the entire show so far.

You've got seriously weird taste in the GoT-characters. Jon Snow over Robb Stark?? No way!
Catelyn Stark is also the best female character apart from Arya, and Tyrion's prostitute (Shaye?) is maybe the most uncool, annoying and uninteresting of all characters seen in the show so far.

The chart also needs a 'God-tier', so far only inhabited by Ned Stark ( his legacy is so strong I still consider him an alive character in the show).

I agree with you on the God-Tier department, but still. Jon Snow is the only one who actually is doing something about the whole 'Winter is Coming' - thing. And IMO Robb Stark doesn't have that special trait that makes him cool.
I find Catelyn Stark annoying as hell.

I forgot Tywin, who I believe has to go in the Cool section

Did they ever reveal who actually hired the guy to kill Bran? I know Little Finger gave the dagger to Tyrion but who actually gave it to the assassin?

I believe that it was suggested Jaime did it, I could be wrong though

It has not been revealed. All you have thus far are Littlefinger's assertions and the assumptions that Ned/Cat made about it, and Tyrion's denial of responsibility.

Zeliard

I was thinking that last night. I love Stannis, and the actor they cast is perfect.

Also if you think about it, getting Melisandre's shadow assassin to kill Renly directly, and pre-emptively end that battle, ultimately saved a lot of lives on both sides.

It's pretty unfair, because it's like, how the hell do you even stop a thing like that? But ultimately it's super-effective and does result in fewer deaths. At least so far.

Not having a shit eating grin about the trump card he has is a nice characterization.

I like that he doesn't even want to hear about it. He's like "nope uh uh, she does her thing, it works, I don't care to know anymore."

Just a quick refresher on the spoiler rules. If the book readers could please stay out of the thread, it'd make things much easier. Thanks for your help.
Zb44O.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.

Violet_0

Banned

oh, I'm with you here, Stannis is indeed one of the more interesting characters. It's just rather unfortunate that he's responsible for Renly's death - I liked Renly. Davos is a pretty swell guy as well.

my prediction for the next episode - Stannis silently offs the Red Lady now that she gets in his way

Zeliard

I was thinking it's missing Bronn, but then he didn't seem to have any qualms about killing babies if the price is right, which ain't cool.

Then again he is a sellsword.

Subitai

So Torrhen's Square is a keep with 30 feet high walls. Seems like an odd target for Theon's little crew, even if most of the keeps defenders are away fighting in the war.
The show is being subtle. Theon is pretty lame, but he has some of his family's guile. Think about his conversation again, and then what transpired.

sangreal

oh, I'm with you here, Stannis is indeed one of the more interesting characters. It's just rather unfortunate that he's responsible for Renly's death - I liked Renly. Davos is a pretty swell guy as well.

my prediction for the next episode - Stannis silently offs the Red Lady now that she gets in his way

That already happened in this episode. Stannis agreed to leave her behind. My prediction is that this will turn out to be a disaster when Tyrion blows his ships up without the fire priestess there to protect them

miked808

I want to try and get my oldest son into the series but of course the sex scenes make that a bit uncomfortable for me. I have the season 1 Blu-ray set and was wondering if there is a program that would let me save the set on my computer, combine all the shows into one big file, and then edit out the sex scenes?

Zeliard

Theon's turn seemed a bit too abrupt, but I guess that's due to the confines of a 10-episode television show, unless they have other stuff planned for him.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I want to try and get my oldest son into the series but of course the sex scenes make that a bit uncomfortable for me. I have the season 1 Blu-ray set and was wondering if there is a program that would let me save the set on my computer, combine all the shows into one big file, and then edit out the sex scenes?

How old is he?

FStop7

Banned
Theon's turn seemed a bit too abrupt, but I guess that's due to the confines of a 10-episode television show, unless they have other stuff planned for him.

I'm re-watching season one and they drop lots of clues, but it's maybe one hint every other episode or so. His pride and arrogance are shown, but so fleetingly that it doesn't necessarily make a lasting impression.

big ander

You would need a blu-ray rip program (like blu-ray ripper), a blu-ray computer drive, and then any editing software. It could be expensive. It WILL be rigorous and terrible editing 15 hours of footage.

Um, how old is this kid? Because if he's old enough to handle the graphic, intense, and frequent violence, I would think he could handle the occasional boob. EDIT: It's up to you as a parent then. At 12 the beheadings and eviscerations would have shocked me a whole lot more than a few naked women, but if you want it that way then by all means take the many hours to carefully edit it.

sangreal

IIRC, someone once made a DVD player that would automatically skip graphic scenes, effectively reducing the rating. Hollywood sued the shit out of them though

edit: apparently they're still around after getting the law changed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClearPlay

Walshicus

How old? And are you going to edit out the violence and gore?

Let's be frank here - anyone who's too young to be "exposed" to the sex probably shouldn't be "exposed" to 90% of the show.

Zeliard

I'm re-watching season one and they drop lots of clues, but it's maybe one hint every other episode or so. His pride and arrogance are shown, but so fleetingly that it doesn't necessarily make a lasting impression.

Hmm maybe so. Haven't watched Season 1 since it aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom