• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No booth for Nintendo at GDC 2016 - Relation to NX reveal?

I wonder, if they reveal NX next year, how will they do it? A conference like PS4/Xbone reveal events or through the Nintendo Direct?

Why would it be asinine. Surely E3 is the best place to show the new machine off.
I would think they'd want to do what Sony and Microsoft did this time around, and have the stage to themselves prior to E3.

EDIT: I also don't think a 2016 release means Nintendo is rushing anything, either. They've had plenty of time to ready a Wii U successor.

Rodin

I would think they'd want to do what Sony and Microsoft did this time around, and have the stage to themselves prior to E3.

Exactly. You can hype the event for a couple of months like Sony did with the PS4 reveal, and hosting something that's all about your new product is a better way to comunicate your message and have all the eyes pointed at you, with days of exclusive media coverage. Then at E3 you can talk more about games, release date and price, but if you reveal the console there you still have to "compete" for coverage because all the media have to talk about what other publishers showed (also, people not exactly invested in Nintendo would care less about what they had to say because they have their shiny new trailers of their most wanted games to dissect). And while not being as huge as a new console, it isn't necessarily small.

PS: of course the console (or at least one new piece of the NX platform) is coming out in 2016. Releasing a new hardware 18 months after the reveal is stupid and they should have learned that the hard way.

You know, I can believe this more now due to Nintendo's improved success with the Wii U software sales, DLC and amiibo. They've pretty much targeted their Moby Dick. And judging from the key software next year, I could easily see them coasting through or even exceeding this year's sales.

As much as people like to use the Wii U as the primary indicator as how Nintendo is doing, the performance of the 3DS is a more important metric as it's Nintendo's healthiest platform. And right now it's on the decline.

The Wii U hardware base isn't plausibly going to grow large enough in a short period of time to be able to sell the software numbers to make up for that hole.

AniHawk

Because they would have shown actual hardware by now.

that's how the ds, ps4, and xbox one worked right.

even 3ds came out in the same fiscal year it was first shown to the public.

Given the relative failure of the WiiU launch due to a lack lustre line up. I'm sure Nintendo are very sensitive not to repeat that so good quality software takes time.

This all assumes of course that it's a relatively standard console.

If it's some sort of esoteric handheld/home console then anything is possible.

if it's software you're wondering about, zelda, ead tokyo's new thing, and retro's new thing are all potential launch titles.

maxcriden

Given the relative failure of the WiiU launch due to a lack lustre line up. I'm sure Nintendo are very sensitive not to repeat that so good quality software takes time.

This all assumes of course that it's a relatively standard console.

If it's some sort of esoteric handheld/home console then anything is possible.

FWIW, all signs point to a system with hqndhd and console formats.

All of their hardware partners are ramping up for a 2016 release. AMD has stated that they expect their next semi-custom design to start producing profit in the second half of 2016. It wouldn't make any sense for hardware partners to already be tooling up for a late 2017 release. Nintendo has to make Holiday 2016 or they might spend dip out of profitability again.

I completely agree. (My post you quoted was intended to convey the same thought, sorry if I wasn't clear.)

that's how the ds, ps4, and xbox one worked right.

Why do people keep using using the PS4 and Xbone as examples for what Nintendo is going to do They march to the beat of their own drum. The PS4 was as straightforward as you can get with a game console while the NX, judging by what Nintendo said and the series of patents released, is not.

Riki

Why do people keep using using the PS4 and Xbone as examples for what Nintendo is going to do They march to the beat of their own drum. The PS4 was as straightforward as you can get with a game console while the NX, judging by what Nintendo said and the series of patents released, is not.
Which is exactly why revealing it in March at their own event is a must.
They can give out all the information and demonstrations they need then show off games at E3.

Which is exactly why revealing it in March at their own event is a must.
They can give out all the information and demonstrations they need then show off games at E3.

And considering all their new consoles have been revealed at E3 since Spaceworld ended, and they'll continue have a major presence at the show no matter what, I see no reason for them to have an extra event when E3 has gotten the job done for them for over a decade now.

Hence anything they've done before isn't necessarily an indicator of what they're doing next.
I meant compared to the competition. You shouldn't assume Nintendo will reveal their new platform the same way Sony and MS did.

N64- Revealed in 1994, Released in 1996
Gamecube- Revealed as "Project Dolphin" in 1999, released in 2001
Wii- First hinted at as early as E3 2004, released in 2006
Wii U- First revealed in 2011, Released in 2012

But with a whole new platform separate from the Wii branding, a unique concept, their history with delays, Nintendo's insistence to not repeat the same mistakes as the Wii U by trying to take the time to communicate a clearer message and 20 years of historical precedence to back the whole thing up, you assume that the NX which has only been given the most vague of details at this point will release as soon as a year from now because "things are different this time."

We'll see : )

I'll leave this post from John Harker.

I meant compared to the competition. You shouldn't assume Nintendo will reveal their new platform the same way Sony and MS did.

You're using one set of assumptions while denying the possibility of another set of assumptions under the justification that essentially boils down to "just because".

Riki

And considering all their new consoles have been revealed at E3 since Spaceworld ended, and they'll continue have a major presence at the show no matter what, I see no reason for them to have an extra event when E3 has gotten the job done for them for over a decade now.

Yeah, and the WiiU E3 reveal was killer on them. It left the message entirely too unclear.
Having their own event Woukd be much better.

You're using one set of assumptions while denying the possibility of another set of assumptions under the justification that essentially boils down to "just because".

One set of assumptions is because it's the same company who's been doing the stuff the same way for the last 20 years. The other set of assumptions is from two completely different companies. I mean the Xbox 360 was first revealed on MTV of all places. Did you now expect Sony and Nintendo to reveal their new consoles on overrated cable networks because MS did it?

Yeah, and the WiiU E3 reveal was killer on them. It left the message entirely too unclear.
Having their own event would be much better.
No it wouldn't.

Nintendo is the slowest hardware company out of the big three. If the hardware hasn't been revealed by now then it's likely that it's going to get a hardware reveal at E3 and launch late 2017.

I was pretty sure the console was going to launch in 2017 (with a handheld maybe next year), but if they're doing some kind of combo dual release thing, maybe it will be next year.

If that is the case though, I expect they will start talking about it just after the first of the year.

Bulzeeb

My bet is that Nintendo will do a Nintendo direct to announce the NX, it could be one of those pre E3 events like they already did for some games

AniHawk

i'm showing them as an example of how the market has changed. i think the plan for 3ds for instance was to actually have a 2010 launch, with the wii u as a 2011 launch. the wii u fucked everything up, including 3ds.

NX isn't being revealed until E3 and won't release until Spring 2017 at the earliest.
Probably, that's my best guess at least.

I hope not.

New hardware does NOT need to be held for e3.

Sony has found massive success with the PS4 and that was revealed in February; MS followed unveiling the XBox One in May.

Showing at e3 would garner extra visibility, though, what Nintendo needs to do is build hype - the sooner, the better.

AniHawk

So what? The PS4 has been in the planning stages since 2008, years before launch, and even the Wii was in the conceptual stages as early as 2001. These things take time to get right.

yeah? and the merging of the software teams was in the works starting in 2011. that fits the five year plan of the ps4 and wii don't you think?

there's way more that points to 2016 definitely happening than things pointing to it definitely not happening. the counterpoint is really just 'well... but nintendo!' which makes no sense.

Zeppelino

Neo Member
So, I don't know if this is really a relevant information since it is a quote I read in an university magazine from portugal. From the source it says it was a PR from nintendo who shared the following statment:

"In the course of its history, regarding inovation Nintendo has always been on the front end. It was the case with the Wii, with movement controls, portable consoles that use 3D... And, of course, with each new platform, Nintendo tries to open new horizons in the videogames market.
We have already announced NX launch for the nex year, but details are still very little, knowing also that 2016 will mark nintendo's entrance to mobile.
To us, the future will consist in a bigger convergence between the various consoles, being them home consoles, portable or even a smartphone
."

Then again, I don't really think a portuguese PR knows much, but the service of nintendo in portugal, from what I've heard, is very good. Take this as you want, I just wanted to share this because it caught my attention.

Btw, first post :)

jnWake

It'll always be hilarious to me when people say "It's Nintendo" as if Nintendo was somehow a company run by idiots with no idea of what they're doing. Sure, they've made mistakes (as have most companies) but their history has way more success stories than failures so I have no idea why people always expect the worst.

if the plan is to show nx functioning across multiple form factors, i would at the very least have one handheld and one console available at launch.

they could potentially have a high end/low end console, high end/low end handheld, or even a combo pack for those who want both. i think those are options they might save for later, but basically i expect yearly hardware updates. it wouldn't be too different from how 3ds worked (2011 - 3ds, 2012 - 3ds xl, 2013 - 2ds, 2014 - new 3ds/xl)

Doesnt it do both? isnt that the point?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I hope they don't show NX at E3. It's the kiss of death.

Most if not all consoles that were unveilied at E3 had serious problems.

On the GDC 2016 website Nintendo's listed on the exhibitor list for "BMR2732 / BMR2738 / BMR2742", which seems to only be the "business centre". So I guess nothing public on NX for the event?

Neoxon

On the GDC 2016 website Nintendo's listed on the exhibitor list for "BMR2732 / BMR2738 / BMR2742", which seems to only be the "business centre". So I guess nothing public on NX for the event?
Makes sense. If they're gonna reveal the NX Platform to the public, it'll be during a dedicated Direct/Press Conference/whatever Nintendo chooses to do.

Thanks, do you think this makes it more or less likely that a formal reveal to the public (and thus for independent developers to sign up for) will be made before or after GDC?

maxcriden

Thanks, do you think this makes it more or less likely that a formal reveal to the public (and thus for independent developers to sign up for) will be made before or after GDC?

I'm not Neoxon, but I'll say it will be made after GDC. We will get the concept reveal at most by then, IMO. :) I expect such a reveal to come by April and then the big blow-out reveal with games and more specific details and such at E3.

I think the real question, from an NX public reveal standpoint, is whether or not they want to do it within their Q4FY16 (ending March 31st, 2016) or within FY17 (starting April 1st, 2016).

Thraktor

Even if the NX is announced within the next couple of months, it's very unlikely they'll show games (rather than just tech demos) until E3. And without any games to demonstrate, there's not much point having a big south hall booth at GDC. The meeting rooms would suffice to demonstrate the NX to any third parties who hadn't received dev kits yet.

Jackano

This sounds bad. Same old late, secretive, Kyoto-centric Nintendo.
If they want developers on board, maybe it will be an actual good idea to show them that new, additional thing they will have to work with in their everyday work.

While they will have VR devkits to try and even already started looking at the SDKs and get support for it thanks to several big ass booths, Nintendo remain nowhere to be seen - and no, "behind closed doors" is not how the world works now. This ain't the 90's anymore where unprecedented partnerships with big 3rd party publishers was the most important thing. Let alone big japanese 3rd party publishers.

It doesn't mean doomed, but this doesn't sound like any improvement/change is made.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
They will not talk about NX until E3, it would be too distracting for them when they still have their last few Wii U and 3DS titles to promote in the firs half of 2016.

Another quote because it can't be quoted enough. ^This right here folks.

E3 will be Nintendo Xtreme!!

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I think that instead of revealing the console via a Direct, they should take the Sony/Microsoft approach and set up a live demonstration to focus on the hardware before E3 and do a software blowout at the convention (a live presentation would be an added bonus). This way they can get the word out as soon as possible and get people buzzing about it, and then set up anticipation for E3 where they will show off games for the console's launch and beyond. In addition, during E3 they should send demo units to stores like Best Buy and Target so people will be able to get first-hand impressions and hopefully be set on buying one in the future.

It'll always be hilarious to me when people say "It's Nintendo" as if Nintendo was somehow a company run by idiots with no idea of what they're doing. Sure, they've made mistakes (as have most companies) but their history has way more success stories than failures so I have no idea why people always expect the worst.

Because Nintendo seems to enjoy doing the exact opposite of what the fans and industry wants.

synce

I don't see how Nintendo can slap together an entirely new console on a moment's notice. I doubt they were ready for the WiiU to bomb so hard. Give it another couple years

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't see how Nintendo can slap together an entirely new console on a moment's notice. I doubt they were ready for the WiiU to bomb so hard. Give it another couple years

That's not how the industry works.

Anth0ny

If NX is releasing this year, it would be nice if they talked about it with developers at GDC

I'm sure they will. Behind the scenes. And we can expect a ton of leaks, honestly.

The public reveal will probably happen in late February or March. They'd be crazy to wait any longer than that.

But Nintendo is crazy, so...

This sounds bad. Same old late, secretive, Kyoto-centric Nintendo.
If they want developers on board, maybe it will be an actual good idea to show them that new, additional thing they will have to work with in their everyday work.

They can and probably will do that, though. They don't need a both to privately meet with publishers and developers during the event.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Keep in mind, the 360 was announced in May 2005 and released later that November. Anything is possible.

That's what I don't get. People keep acting as if this is completely new. I guess I don't get what would be the problem with an E3 announcement and a Holiday release. That's still like 5-6 months of press. We know from people on GAF that they were talking to other parties about the system last year behind closed doors.

Top Bottom