• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

legacyzero

Banned
Both BF and FF are huge franchises with long histories of successful entries and huge loyal fanbases. NMS has neither.
Sure. But neither of those are a factor.

NMS has a colossal amount of hype behind it leading up to launch, a megaton of controversy, and yet, everybody's eyes is still on Hello Games and No Mans Sky. Any video I upload to my YouTube channel gets an average of about 2000 views effortlessly. The thirst is real for this game.

Jebusman

Banned
Sure. But neither of those are a factor.

NMS has a colossal amount of hype behind it leading up to launch, a megaton of controversy, and yet, everybody's eyes is still on Hello Games and No Mans Sky. Any video I upload to my YouTube channel gets an average of about 2000 views effortlessly. The thirst is real for this game.

I want this to come out in the least mean way possible, but

A. 2000 seems real.... low?
B. How many views do your videos tend to get (which, if well above the average, then yeah your point is made).

legacyzero

Banned
I want this to come out in the least mean way possible, but

A. 2000 seems real.... low?
B. How many views do your videos tend to get (which, if well above the average, then yeah your point is made).
For a small channel of around 2300 subs, and usually videos that aren't NMS, struggle to get 1000. I'm not an SEO really. But that's not usually needed with NMS videos

Jebusman

Banned
For a small channel of around 2300 subs, and usually videos that aren't NMS, struggle to get 1000. I'm not an SEO really. But that's not usually needed with NMS videos

Alright so yeah. There's at least a core demographic of people thirsting for NMS. I mean I can't blame them for holding out hope all this time.

I really hope if it relanches, there is some sort of multiplayer.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Alright so yeah. There's at least a core demographic of people thirsting for NMS. I mean I can't blame them for holding out hope all this time.

I'm going to be honest here, for me multiplayer would be the least important thing they could concentrate on. I'd rather they spent it on creating more content and other sorts of fixes/additions.

I realise I'm probably in a very small number of folks in regards to that though and multiplayer would certainly help them in regards to reputation. (despite the whole idea of meeting someone else supposedly being a very rare occurrence. Pity they fucked that up on release)

Both BF and FF are huge franchises with long histories of successful entries and huge loyal fanbases. NMS has neither.

While that's true, from what I heard Square still ended up in a shitstorm of angry fans for the way FF14 launched. But the reboot completely changed that tone.

Look at even where NMS at launch vs. where it is now after a couple of medium-sized updates. There's still a lot of people who are angry at Hello/Sean, but in general they have gained some respect for continuing to support and improve NMS despite the constant hate.

I think if they did a reboot with major gameplay and graphics improvements, a lot of that animosity towards Hello would disappear. NMS might even start to be seen in a positive light, because at the end of the day we just want to play good games and get our money's worth.

I'm going to be honest here, for me multiplayer would be the least important thing they could concentrate on. I'd rather they spent it on creating more content and other sorts of fixes/additions.

I realise I'm probably in a very small number of folks in regards to that though and multiplayer would certainly help them in regards to reputation. (despite the whole idea of meeting someone else supposedly being a very rare occurrence. Pity they fucked that up on release)

I agree. I don't think some major MP addition where you can go around exploring with your friends (which was never promised) would really help things if the gameplay isn't also improved. The systems are too shallow right now. Besides, there are already games like Elite and Destiny to scratch that itch. I just want a better single-player experience where I can create my own narratives and stay interested.... better combat, actions that have meaning and consequences, a dynamic job system, more focus on politics and factions. I want to feel like I'm in a living universe and am just a small part of it.

Seiniyta

Having rewatched the first 5 trailers that were released for the game it is staggering how many assets were cut for the final game. A lot of those also really made my head scratch why they weren't implemented into the final game even though those didn't look more taxing then we currently have in the game.

Case in point being the desert biome with the sand texture being one of the main layers. It was heavily featured in a lot of the trailers but is entirely absent on the final game. You only see the sand texture now as part of a bedrock texture. Very strange.

Some of the creature types/designs that look very feasible didn't make it into the game as well as some neat looking flora.

Some of the trailer assets were found in the game file which only added to the confusion as a lot of those weren't higher poly then the procedural flora.

Things like draw distance. Flora and creature density being lower in the final game makes sense. Downgrade happens but some of the missing things is just puzzling.

I wonder if its really true that after the delay in (april?) 2016 was announced they were internally in a crisis and tried to work something simpler out.

legacyzero

Banned
Having rewatched the first 5 trailers that were released for the game it is staggering how many assets were cut for the final game. A lot of those also really made my head scratch why they weren't implemented into the final game even though those didn't look more taxing then we currently have in the game.

Case in point being the desert biome with the sand texture being one of the main layers. It was heavily featured in a lot of the trailers but is entirely absent on the final game. You only see the sand texture now as part of a bedrock texture. Very strange.

Some of the creature types/designs that look very feasible didn't make it into the game as well as some neat looking flora.

Some of the trailer assets were found in the game file which only added to the confusion as a lot of those weren't higher poly then the procedural flora.

Things like draw distance. Flora and creature density being lower in the final game makes sense. Downgrade happens but some of the missing things is just puzzling.

I wonder if its really true that after the delay in (april?) 2016 was announced they were internally in a crisis and tried to work something simpler out.

I really think this is the case. Sean said they were "Running out of money", so that leaves me to believe that they weren't quite happy with a lot of the features in the game, or some were straight up broken. So they launched the game in a vanilla state, and went to slowly adding it all back in once they were happy with it.

qcf x2

Initially I felt the same way, but the "game" needs life, and dynamic life at that. IMO the best thing they could possibly do is open it up and offer some sort of Minecraft-like experience. Let people share the sandbox(es) and see what they come up with. Then you'll get actual (err, virtual) ecosystems, trade/currency markets, outlaws, etc.

Certainly it would be an enormous undertaking and unlikely to happen, but man would it be amazing.

Chumley

Banned
They'll get completely shat on if its just some multiplayer thing. With all the ARG buildup it sounds to me like something substantial, like a proper story mode with real NPC's walking around cities. Something to make the game world actually feel alive.

Lots of cool, ambitious ideas in this thread.

I could also just see it being the lead up to the next patch though and they add online co op.

OuterLimits

I agree. While multiplayer would be a cool, it is pretty far down on my wish list for the game. Especially with such a small amount of people playing it now.

I would prefer more diversity with flora and fauna and more interesting things to discover on planets. Recent updates have given us more weapon choices for the multi tool and ships, but nothing new and challenging to use them on.

I'm definitely keeping my expectations in check. I'm certainly not expecting a relaunch.
Another significant update that continues to build on what the Foundation update started seems likely to me.

Initially I felt the same way, but the "game" needs life, and dynamic life at that. IMO the best thing they could possibly do is open it up and offer some sort of Minecraft-like experience. Let people share the sandbox(es) and see what they come up with. Then you'll get actual (err, virtual) ecosystems, trade/currency markets, outlaws, etc.

Certainly it would be an enormous undertaking and unlikely to happen, but man would it be amazing.

This is how I see the future of NMS. Amazing and totally possible, but I have my doubts.

Lots of cool, ambitious ideas in this thread.

I could also just see it being the lead up to the next patch though and they add online co op.

Online coop and VR and I'm set.

I started re-playing the game after a long time and I have to say it feels a different game now, even though content is still a problem.

But then you get to witness some strange sunset on a distant, misty world and all is forgiven.

Landford

Banned
I still think the ARG is to raise awareness to NMS and the new update, wich I also believe will be a relaunch, but I dont think the hints and easter eggs point in ANY way to what these updates may be. Its just providing backstory into how the NMS universe came to be.

Its a spoiler and I will spoiler tag it, but its pretty known by now that the game lore is pretty meta and even aknowledge that its a
"Flawed Simulation made by jaded intelects" that is ran by ATLAS.

So far we have the "Echo" technology that essentially
is how the Korvax came to exist (Even hinting that they were human memories at some point.

We have a "small company project" in the ARG that is mapping galaxies and storing data about it and is in need of a lot more space because the project is taking too much resources. The ARG in and on itself is lore about how the game we ALREADY have came to be in universe, not an indication of what the next update will contain.

Fredrik

I don't think some major MP addition where you can go around exploring with your friends (which was never promised) would really help things if the gameplay isn't also improved. The systems are too shallow right now. Besides, there are already games like Elite and Destiny to scratch that itch. I just want a better single-player experience where I can create my own narratives and stay interested.... better combat, actions that have meaning and consequences, a dynamic job system, more focus on politics and factions. I want to feel like I'm in a living universe and am just a small part of it.
Yeah I don't even know how multiplayer is supposed to work with the size of the universe and planets right now, they have to break it out of the main game and put everyone roughly on the same spot or you'll never find someone to play with. I just checked Steam and I've already played it for 157 hours and I think I've seen maybe 5 solar systems discovered by another player so far... :p So building on the SP part is a much better idea in my opinion, there is so much more they can add, the posibilities are endless really. Whatever they do I already know I'll be pleased with it. Just don't wipe the servers with our progress!

mokeyjoe

I imagine those who enjoy NMS, like me, are primarily single player gamers.

People seem to be hyping this way too much. It's no wonder people end up disappointed. It's not a relaunch, just a goofy low key ARG thing ahead of another update. Maybe it'll be a little bigger, maybe not, but there's no indication it will be. I'm sure there will be people complaining about 'hype' again anyway.

legacyzero

Banned
It would be hilarious if this all culminated in a Kickstarter campaign.

tenor.gif

I imagine those who enjoy NMS, like me, are primarily single player gamers.

People seem to be hyping this way too much. It's no wonder people end up disappointed. It's not a relaunch, just a goofy low key ARG thing ahead of another update. Maybe it'll be a little bigger, maybe not, but there's no indication it will be. I'm sure there will be people complaining about 'hype' again anyway.

I agree that some people will end up disappointed, no matter what it is. But I wouldn't characterize this as a "goofy low-key ARG". They hired a professional ARG company (Alice & Smith) to produce this, and the puzzles are starting to get fairly complex.

This is 10 years ago, but this Guardian article speaks to the cost for a professionally-done ARG:
Marketing ARGs typically cost in a similar range as other professional marketing campaigns, although probably a lot cheaper for the value that the client gets from it (measured in exposure, press coverage, etc) - anything from a hundred thousand dollars up to a million or more.

So if Hello (or Sony?) is spending $100k-$1M on this marketing ARG, they wouldn't do that for just another content update. This is something bigger. Much bigger? I say yes.

Landford

Banned
So if Hello (or Sony?) is spending $100k-$1M on this marketing ARG, they wouldn't do that for just another content update. This is something bigger. Much bigger? I say yes.

Yeah, there is no way this isnt some big overhaul of the game. They wouldnt spend so much money from their own pockets if it wouldnt be for something major.

I think the name still holds value regardless of the reception, at least compared to a entirely new name.

Not an entirely new name but No Man's Sky: *insert tagline here* for the purposes of marketing and differentiating the fact that a significant overhaul has been released to the point where it's hardly the same game?

Which brings up an interesting question, at what point does it become ethical to abandon an appid on Steam for the purpose of rebranding in a way that is similar to APB/APB Reloaded or Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XIV ARR (with the benefit of starting fresh with user reviews, I know this is the point of having recent reviews on the Steam page but most people never will update their reviews even if they really do like the game)?

My only real issue with this ARG thing is that they are doing this outside the game.

Why couldn't they patch in this Wild Goose Chase/Easter Egg hunt in the game?

Even if it's all just numbers leading up to a vague clue or message... wouldn't it at least give people who own the game something more to do? A reason to keep playing?

Nonetheless, I hope it's all leading up to a really huge update.

legacyzero

Banned
My only real issue with this ARG thing is that they are doing this outside the game.

Why couldn't they patch in this Wild Goose Chase/Easter Egg hunt in the game?

Even if it's all just numbers leading up to a vague clue or message... wouldn't it at least give people who own the game something more to do? A reason to keep playing?

Nonetheless, I hope it's all leading up to a really huge update.
Small team etc etc. I'm betting they farmed this out to a 3rd party

Is the idea that this thing drops some time in the first half of July?
Probably on the 1 year anniversary on Aug 9th. That's my guess

Hopefully whatever it is, I hope it turns out to be great. I have a soft spot for NMS and Hello Games even if I haven't played the game yet.

TimFL

They'll get completely shat on if its just some multiplayer thing. With all the ARG buildup it sounds to me like something substantial, like a proper story mode with real NPC's walking around cities. Something to make the game world actually feel alive.
MP would be the only thing that gets me back on board. I've had my solo adventure fix during the launch week and been itching to play NMS with friends.
That or a complete revamp of the procedural generation system that wipes the universe and ensures more variety in line with pre-release marketing.

Is the idea that this thing drops some time in the first half of July?

Either week of July 8th (the final sigil) or August 9th for the anniversary.

I'm personally (and extremely optimisitically) hoping July with an in-game continuation that leads up to the waking of said Titan simultaneously across the in-game universe.

OuterLimits

Releasing a huge update on the one year anniversary would be interesting. If the update is good, it will really illustrate how far the game has come since the debacle of a year ago.

Granted, it's risky as well since Hello Games is acting much different with this update than the first two. The previous ones were basically surprises, with only a trailer the day before release.

Now it appears they are creating some hype again and frankly raising the expectations for this next update. So it has the unfortunate potential to also be history repeating itself.

Ritzboof

I'm in a private Twitter chat with a majority of the main NMS Youtubers (Cobra TV, Dan Before Time, Get Indie Gaming, Sirian Gaming, etc) and we're all speculating that this could be an actual RElaunch of the game. Our line of thinking is simple-

A couple months ago, an "Old Build Test" popped up on the SteamDB, no updates or anything else. Very strange. Sean was quoted as saying that when developing the game, they had one central server that housed the main build of the game, while the other devs had their own to test their workings before uploading it to the main build. I'm wondering if we never actually got the main build, or "Old Build", but a more vanilla version of the game at launch because they were "Running out of money" (Seans words) and time, and the features that didn't launch with the game just weren't up to par with their standards.

Then with the two updates we got since launch (Foundation and Path Finder), they were more unceremoniously, launched days after a trailer for them with no hype build up.

NOW, we have a thoroughly thought out, paid for ARG with actors, websites, broadcasts, telephone number, emails, etc building hype for the next update, with talk of the Atlas, historical lore for leading up to the actual game, portals, multiplayer or co-op, and other cryptic things. Yesterday's ARG devlopment points towards server and cloud utilization as well.

Just my two cents, but that sounds like a solid theory.

this would be really awesome, and i have my hopes up just considering how much work theyve put into this event, but i do think we need to keep our expectations in check. theories and hype like this are part of how the game was able to con so many people on release. also, where did sean say "running out of money"?

in any case, i was always under the impression that they lost pretty much everything during that flood right around the end of 2013

Ferr986

Releasing a huge update on the one year anniversary would be interesting. If the update is good, it will really illustrate how far the game has come since the debacle of a year ago.

Granted, it's risky as well since Hello Games is acting much different with this update than the first two. The previous ones were basically surprises, with only a trailer the day before release.

Now it appears they are creating some hype again and frankly raising the expectations for this next update. So it has the unfortunate potential to also be history repeating itself.

Yep, was thinking about this. I mean, I already saw here someone talking about adding big cities with NPCs and this is probably imposible to do in this game.

Of course we should keep our hype in check, but the way they're going about this despite the game's launch debacle last year really gives me confidence that this will be an awesome update. I think they've handled the post-launch situation very well and I don't see them screwing this up now.

ZeoVGM

Banned
If this works for games like Final Fantasy 14 and Battlefield 4, it can certainly work for NMS

Nothing even remotely like those situations. Those are games that are fully based around multiplayer with the idea that people will still be playing it for a number of years. That isn't what NMS is.

This game has largely already been pushed aside and forgotten.

And to me, as someone who was incredibly hyped for the game originally, it's frustrating to see them doing anything remotely resembling a tease, let alone an ARG. I don't believe that Hello Games has earned that.

And to me, as someone who was incredibly hyped for the game originally, it's frustrating to see them doing anything remotely resembling a tease, let alone an ARG. I don't believe that Hello Games has not earned that.

No matter how the launch went for you personally, their post-launch support has been fantastic. Whether or not they've "earned" an ARG is a silly argument to make.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No matter how the launch went for you personally, their post-launch support has been fantastic. Whether or not they've "earned" an ARG is a silly argument to make.

I don't agree, sorry. I don't think that their post-launch support has made up for the literal constant lies. They didn't just put out a bad game, they lied about what the game was going to be.

So in my mind, personally, they have not earned the trust back where I'm not going to roll my eyes at the idea of them doing an ARG. Put out the content, redeem the game, then we'll see.

But again, it's very likely too late to save this game outside of its current niche fanbase who still play it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I don't agree, sorry. I don't think that their post-launch support has made up for the literal constant lies. They didn't just put out a bad game, they lied about what the game was going to be.

So in my mind, personally, they have not earned the trust back where I'm not going to roll my eyes at the idea of them doing an ARG. Put out the content, redeem the game, then we'll see.

But again, it's very likely too late to save this game outside of its current niche fanbase who still play it.

Then by all means go play something else, and stop driveby shitposting in this thread.

Ferr986

Of course we should keep our hype in check, but the way they're going about this despite the game's launch debacle last year really gives me confidence that this will be an awesome update. I think they've handled the post-launch situation very well and I don't see them screwing this up now.

Problem is thinking this would be like FFXIV to ARR situation. That was a totally new game made from scratch, this will probably be just a bigger than usual patch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think making the opposite case would be easy actually, they have earned it.

Even if conceding that the disappointed users or falling short of hype at launch were 100% Hello Games' fault, the two major patches they've released so far, fairly unceremoniously, have been totally packed with hard work, community-requested features alongside clever new things no one had thought to ask for.

If they have something they are proud of to unveil they have absolutely earned the right to tease it. By exactly the same token, if it falls flat this time it absolutely will be their own fault.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Then by all means go play something else, and stop driveby shitposting in this thread.

So basically, no one is allowed to post anything that's not positive about this or it's a "driveby shitpost," even if the person gives their reasoning.

Gotcha.

No, sorry. That's not how it works. If I came in and simply posted, "lol fuck this game," that would be a driveby shitpost. But that isn't what happened. You simply didn't like my opinion. I fully respect those who disagree with my opinion.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So basically, no one is allowed to post anything that's not positive about this or it's a "driveby shitpost," even if the person gives their reasoning.

Gotcha.

No, but cmon...everything youve said has been beaten to death and beyond. They're at least trying to make things right and have been with the last several patches.

Nothing you can do now besides not supporting the product with these new updates or not buying any future titles from them. We've all heard everything you've said ad nauseum, and it's time to move on.

c0Zm1c

Yep, was thinking about this. I mean, I already saw here someone talking about adding big cities with NPCs and this is probably imposible to do in this game.

Grant Duncan talked about using procedural generation to make cities in his 2015 GDC presentation actually. I wonder if Hello Games has experimented with it at all using their tech. Provided the NPC's don't need to do anything really sophisticated I would think said cities could be populated much like the worlds in the game are already populated by creatures.

I don't think this is going to happen, of course, but I do think it's technically possible to some degree.

Just tighten up the graphics on level 3, right?

Obviously the reason they're doing this is because the content isn't ready yet and for a lot of people an interesting ARG is more fun than just getting nothing, or getting an early press release and having to wait weeks or months for the content to be ready.

While I might be the kind of person to just want a direct announcement of an upcoming patch or something, I'm sure ARGs are a good way of increasing interest in announcements overall. Otherwise, they wouldn't be such a common thing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Just tighten up the graphics on level 3, right?

... What?

How in the world is me wanting them to put out the update without hyping it up through an ARG anything remotely like the "tighten up the graphics on level 3" commercial? What a random thing to say.

Good lord, I don't like what they're doing here. I commented on it.

Grant Duncan talked about using procedural generation to make cities in his 2015 GDC presentation actually. I wonder if Hello Games has experimented with it at all using their tech. Provided the NPC's don't need to do anything really sophisticated I would think said cities could be populated much like the worlds in the game are already populated by creatures.

I don't think this is going to happen, of course, but I do think it's technically possible to some degree.

Even with zero programming knowledge I could see cities being a problem. It's not just the buildings, the city would need to feel alive and "lived in". It would have to be dynamic and interesting at least on a very basic level. To a layman that sounds complicated to consistently achieve.

Now RUINS I could see. Making them big and decently explorable would be a real treat if done right. Imagine something like Minecraft's abandoned mineshafts that have lots of nooks and crannies, loot to find and dangerous mobs to beat while also being fairly rare.

Top Bottom