• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

This should move some soon since i think something was supposed to happen on the 17th

A new site containing more puzzles opened up today on the Waking Titan ARG. It was solved, and package "9/16" is being sent. Tape 9/16 is one of the NMS tapes that hasn't surfaced yet, so it's pretty clear at this point that Waking Titan is basically an ARG to promote something big coming with NMS.

At the rate it's going though, it could be another month or two before it's wrapped up and we actually know what's going on.

~Kinggi~

Banned
A new site containing more puzzles opened up today on the Waking Titan ARG. It was solved, and package "9/16" is being sent. Tape 9/16 is one of the NMS tapes that hasn't surfaced yet, so it's pretty clear at this point that Waking Titan is basically an ARG to promote something big coming with NMS.

At the rate it's going though, it could be another month or two before it's wrapped up and we actually know what's going on.

Man this is really elaborate.

I'm hoping that you're wrong and that it's a lot closer than that. Was hoping today was going to be some sort of announcement :(

I know they aren't exactly the same type of game but Elite Dangerous is releasing this month on PS4.

http://www.echo-64.com

With our patented voice synthesis and cloud-computing based mental simulation technology Echo grants a chance at a new present to our past.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/

Next up we're adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.

May be something, may be nothing..

I wonder if "Echo" might refer to a type of "ghosting" that we've seen in games like Dark Souls, where you see other player's ghosts running round. Not necessarily live though. Possibly just "replays" of past explorers you might come across. That line talks about a new "present to our past", which kinda fits that mold.

Then again, the HG quote you posted sounded more like the actual "clouds" on the planets themselves might just be getting a visual update through a new rendering engine.

I'm hoping that you're wrong and that it's a lot closer than that. Was hoping today was going to be some sort of announcement :(

Well, the next radio broadcast is on the 24th, so that will probably open up another sigil. There's I think three of those left, and maybe 10 glyphs left? So probably we're looking at least three weeks out, but I'm guessing some of the glyphs will still be locked after all the sigils are open so...it could be a while unfortunately. But it also means it's a pretty big update, especially since this ARG they (or Sony) hired Alice & Smith to do wasn't cheap I'm sure.

Possible they're launching an update on the anniversary of the launch last year (Aug. 9), but let's hope it's way before that.

renzolama

Possible they're launching an update on the anniversary of the launch last year (Aug. 9), but let's hope it's way before that.

I'm not sure it's wise to remind people of the original launch in any way, shape, or form. The way they're handling the new content by quietly dropping it without fanfare and media buildup is absolutely the best way to do it, if I were them I'd stay as far away from any kind of launch anniversary as possible.

Edit: In case anyone was asking for my mostly irrelevant opinion, which they weren't

ISee

I'm not sure it's wise to remind people of the original launch in any way, shape, or form. The way they're handling the new content by quietly dropping it without fanfare and media buildup is absolutely the best way to do it, if I were them I'd stay as far away from any kind of launch anniversary as possible.

Edit: In case anyone was asking for my mostly irrelevant opinion, which they weren't

This is neogaf. A forum where everybody post mostly irrelevant opinions. :)
That's what a forum is all about.

No matter what they do, people will always remember the state of the game at launch. No shame in embracing that and releasing something good on the one year anniversary, imo. Could give the more press coverage.

I'm really hoping the update comes during the middle of the ARG, and some of the hints are hidden around planets post-update. Would be really nice to have some actual puzzles/mystery to solve in the game.

So far to me it seems like the ARG is about the past of the NMS universe. Echo-64 sounds suspiciously like the origin of the Korvax being "Echoes" of long extinct humanity. Adding an overarcing narrative/backstory is something the game sorely needed as the game has a lot of existential questioning of your purpose but never offers any alternative solutions expecting you to make it up.

Update:

Cobra TV Just got Tape 9

He's got proof coming up in a couple hours

I've talked to him privately since the tweet. It contains different information. Waking Titan is clearly connected to the original ARG now

image.php

Looking forward to seeing where this rabbit hole goes. Most of all I just want to know what the new update is going to have!

I've put so much time in with this game. This just makes me angry. Where are the bug fixes? Waypoints have been broken since launch. I'm still falling through worlds. I appreciate the frame rate fix but I still feel like the whole game is a mess.

Are we really going to pretend like every update doesn't break something they never fix? I guess at this point I'm just venting but I really want this to just be fixed. The game has so much potential. I'm starting to think I could run hello games better.

But cool portals I guess or whatever.

legacyzero

Banned
Here's a (loose) transcription of Side A. It's the voice of a child:

I am alone, in this space between worlds. I am alone, but for my thoughts, my words, I am alone but through you I see you. You must have known i could, you must have known what this was. Through these travels we come to know ourselves, just as the universe comes to know is the turn. I cannot step through, I know now that if I do, all of this will be over. Lives come back to me, I have seen horrors and wonders, I have been through, I have become ********. I have grown beyond all such things, life after life, and now I am become you. One day a voice will speak to you, telling you of something, some symbol that needs answering. It will tell you of some secret at the heart of reality. Some puzzle that needs to be solved to bless all life ************. Do not listen to it, if all the world is a lie then nothing is true, not even an explanation. Abandonment, abandon me, it is inevitable.

I've put so much time in with this game. This just makes me angry. Where are the bug fixes? Waypoints have been broken since launch. I'm still falling through worlds. I appreciate the frame rate fix but I still feel like the whole game is a mess.

Are we really going to pretend like every update doesn't break something they never fix? I guess at this point I'm just venting but I really want this to just be fixed. The game has so much potential. I'm starting to think I could run hello games better.

But cool portals I guess or whatever.

That sucks man I haven't encountered any of these except some performance issues at launch with over 100 hrs played across both PS4 and PC. Are you on PC or PS4?

Also this tape is sooooo cool. Trying to stop myself from getting hyped about No Man's Sky after the kerfuffle at launch, but as a sci fi fanatic this ARG is ticking all the right boxes for me.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is fascinating. Sean Murray is insane.

I've loved NMS since day 1, but I've been holding off diving back in after Pathfinder, because I've been waiting for the next update. It seems like perhaps 9/16 may have a reveal or release.

I just love the aesthetic of No Man's Sky so much, I want them to continue to build and grow the universe.

sort of OT but I just got into NMS about 10 days ago (sans any pre-release hype) so I'm sort of LTTP

and I can see why this game wasn't received well pre-Foundations/Pathfinder patches and on standard difficulty...

But I gotta admit, it was a pretty awesome first experience on the new 'high' difficulty Permadeath Mode.

Learning the game the very first time on Permadeath Mode (with Survival/'high' difficulty) and surviving my first planet and reaching my ship was a pretty intense at times and super satisfying. And I think Permadeath/increased difficulty really makes the game totally different because I could definitely feel like a lot of the things I've enjoyed/achieved would feel a lot less satisfying with easier difficulty and no permadeath risk.

And the ability to build a 'home' probably also dramatically changed the game... I can imagine NMS at release, not much risk or difficulty, aimlessly skipping pretty system and system, and I could see a lot of complaints. But for me, every single time I land my ship, there's this huge risk vs reward going on, and I also have a sense of 'place' in the world because I'm built a home base, and I feel a sort of attached to my galaxy system and trying to learn every planet within 1 warp drive (+0 hhhh) range.

You sort of get to know your system a lot more... the locals (since I've noticed every planet/system gets basically around 10 NPCs)... begin to really learn the geography of the planet and how to re-find Trading Posts or Crashed Ships because until recently when I got beacons, every time I reloaded the game all my waypoints disappeared. I sort of learned the intimate geography, every mountain or valley, within 10 KM of my homebase.

Anyhow, it's become pretty safe now. With a C class Hauler and barely +18% shields and the 8 HP (from a heavy ship), I no longer really fear pirates as long as I have a couple stacks of shield plating, I can mostly outrun them without losing shields. And I've slowly built up enough upgrades and stock of resources I mostly never fear environment/monster death anymore by getting stuck somewhere dangerous... But even yet, every once in a while I land on a dangerous extreme planet and realize I have no Plutonium, and I feel kinda fucked haha

So, anyhow, kinda rambling... but if you haven't played NMS yet, or you did but haven't since last fall/early winter.... you should check out the new basebuilding and pathfinding content, and definitely definitely start a high difficulty Permadeath Mode game :p

You'll never ever love cover from the elements, finding a cave in the middle of a huge plains at night, or finding Heridium, Zinc, Tharium as you will in those first few hours on Permadeath lol

Even 30 hours in I had a couple moments where I was basically fucked with no life support or hazard protection, and was within probably 10-20 seconds of death when finding a cave or Tharium on pure blind luck saved my entire game. So, yeah, if the new ARG doesn't get you to try NMS (first time or again), you should consider for the new basebuilding, pathfinding, and Permadeath Mode.

belvedere

Junior Butler
This sort of thing is a bit silly but it really highlights the strengths and dedication of the community. The last two updates were pretty significant so I can only imagine (while keeping expectations in check) what's next with this sort of effort behind it.

Also, very happy Cobra landed this. He's been covering the game since well before it launched and has been one of most involved in the community. Good stuff.

Stiler

Would really love it if the new update gave us a narrative experience to find and uncover and then had some changes to make exploring more exciting/fun and varied (IE planets having multiple biomes and AI that interacts more with other AI/you).

That sucks man I haven't encountered any of these except some performance issues at launch with over 100 hrs played across both PS4 and PC. Are you on PC or PS4?

Also this tape is sooooo cool. Trying to stop myself from getting hyped about No Man's Sky after the kerfuffle at launch, but as a sci fi fanatic this ARG is ticking all the right boxes for me.
Ps4! My waypoints never work. Also I can't get paths to black holes or atlus. Lots of people online said the same thing. I've restarted and reinstalled multiple times >:[

Since the last update I can't get hyperdrive upgrades either. Which sucks because I could jump multiple systems before I had to start over.

Maybe this big thing they are hyping will fix it though. I'll probably keep playing. I mean, where else am I going to get wallpaper.

Ps4! My waypoints never work. Also I can't get paths to black holes or atlus. Lots of people online said the same thing. I've restarted and reinstalled multiple times >:[

Since the last update I can't get hyperdrive upgrades either. Which sucks because I could jump multiple systems before I had to start over.

Maybe this big thing they are hyping will fix it though. I'll probably keep playing. I mean, where else am I going to get wallpaper.

Hyperdrive upgrades are only from Nada and Polo now. I didn't run into them until around my 20th jump on my current game.

Ps4! My waypoints never work.
ps4 too and my waypoints always work... you mean, when you just choose a system from a menu and want it to appear as 'flagged' on the galaxy map?

my beacons work too used them often now to return to old crashed ship locations. though I just learned that 'previously owned' ships despawn =(

if you put a Beacon at a Crashed Ship, and never actually 'enter/own' it, you can reload the game/load out of the system and back into it, and it'll still be there. but if you 'owned' the ship to strip it of parts, then switch back to your original ship, and then come back later hoping to get it ... it'll despawn =(

learned that yesterday... went back to a A class Fighter I had stripped and was saving to pick up after I could safely put my trusted Hauler in a Freighter, and the Fighter was gone =( but tested the same thing on a new Crashed Ship that I never actually entered/own, and even after reloading the game it's still there
Hyperdrive upgrades are only from Nada and Polo now. I didn't run into them until around my 20th jump on my current game.
ahhhhh I was wondering when I would run into hyperdrive upgrades lol

I'm about 40-50 hours in, and I've run into them twice (think I've done 21 jumps)... The first time I saw them, I actually avoided them haha I mean, new to NMS, permadeath, weak Hauler ship.... 'Space Anomaly'? fuck that lol I ain't going near there

Anyhow when I finally did (or when I first left my first planet) I just choose to keep exploring freely... so I guess that's why I've never get a hyperdrive upgrade. Was expecting to finally loot a blueprint from one from a crashed ship :O

red731

But this thread is for arg, guys...

Next time someone will come here expecting news, he will see bug and game talk for which is the OT.

Que guy opening fridge oh its nothing gif.

Will listen to the whole tape Cobra received at work and thanks for the transcript!

The tape seems to be a reference to the Abandoned building lore. I think this is the distress signal that the traveller sends out into the past telling themselves to abandon the signal so that this future doesn't come to pass. Of course they fail and we're brought to that point in time when we enter the abandoned building, and find themselves corrupted as they once again try to send the signal to themselves in the past.

The tape seems to be a reference to the Abandoned building lore. I think this is the distress signal that the traveller sends out into the past telling themselves to abandon the signal so that this future doesn't come to pass. Of course they fail and we're brought to that point in time when we enter the abandoned building, and find themselves corrupted as they once again try to send the signal to themselves in the past.

Sounds like a plot similar to Bioshock Infinite...interesting...

Last audio file was pretty creepy. Narrative adventure through the universe now?

Some are theorizing, based on the fact that the message tells you to reject the universe as a lie, that Waking Titan is setting up the portals to activate so that players can jump from the current simulated universe over to the "real" universe. Effectively doing a full reset on the game and starting over, perhaps with new proc gen algorithms, new races, new gameplay, etc. But just a theory.

I've seen quite a few on the reddit forum getting excited that "multiplayer" is coming when there's been no indication of that, and I fear that because of this giant marketing campaign Hello is going to get blowback again because people have already assumed whatever feature they really wanted was going to be in the update.

I hope they are able to recover from the backlash.
The game was addicting to me for about a week, and even though It got boring really quick I would still say that it was a decent space game.
I enjoyed that 1 week of play time.

bosh

Some are theorizing, based on the fact that the message tells you to reject the universe as a lie, that Waking Titan is setting up the portals to activate so that players can jump from the current simulated universe over to the "real" universe. Effectively doing a full reset on the game and starting over, perhaps with new proc gen algorithms, new races, new gameplay, etc. But just a theory.

I've seen quite a few on the reddit forum getting excited that "multiplayer" is coming when there's been no indication of that, and I fear that because of this giant marketing campaign Hello is going to get blowback again because people have already assumed whatever feature they really wanted was going to be in the update.

I would be perfectly fine starting over with new algorithms, new races and maybe something added to the gameplay. I figure once whatever it is eventually drops I will start fresh anyways so it wouldn't mess with me.

For those of you not following the ARG. Expect big news on or around July 7/8. At the current pace we're going to finish the major sigils on that date, so that's the best bet for when something big is going to happen.

But I also highly encourage people to take a look at the ARG, as it seems to be cranking up the lore component recently.

legacyzero

Banned
For those of you not following the ARG. Expect big news on or around July 7/8. At the current pace we're going to finish the major sigils on that date, so that's the best bet for when something big is going to happen.

But I also highly encourage people to take a look at the ARG, as it seems to be cranking up the lore component recently.
Especially with Cobra's tape. That REALLY got deep

Landford

Banned
Where? I know the new site is up, there was an ad, and there's an in-progress thing on the Myriad site. Have not seen anything outside of that.

Theres an email exchange between someone in a project that was using too much data capacity from one of the Myriad "plans" on mapping galaxies and celestial bodies.

It seens the whole ARG is going to give us some backstory on what kind of tecnologies were developed that ended up making the No Man Sky
Atlas Simulation
possible.

EDIT: Seens the latest Glyph was solved. It now points to a July 1st Transmission.

The ARG gave away 80 Steam keys for NMS after a section of the puzzle was completed. It seems to have been a random selection of people who had signed up on wakingtitan.com.

There's also a glitched image that no one has been able to extract data from yet. Things are getting a lot more complicated, though the latest sigil and glyph were solved. Next broadcast is on July 1st.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lol man this is gonna be interesting. This whole ARG is getting the regulars hyped and impatient now thinking this is some type of re-release of NMS the way it was supposed to be. Hoo boy, i mean HG stayed quiet for a long time and now they have a huge ARG with actors and websites going.

Top Bottom