• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

red731

Please, don't turn this into another one of those threads.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Instead of being happy the game gets support, they come in here with unchanged rhetoric they have from the release. Ignoring what happened next.

I really can't wait what they will show next.

Chev

Expecting the things we were told the game would have is "Crazy Expectations" now?
As has been discussed many times last year (I remember a talk about how people seeing merely ships fly parallel to the player, something they occasionally do in-game, had led them to think they'd be able to lead squadrons, with no factual basis whatsoever), you guys were only told a few of those things and extrapolated a whole bunch of others.
Buahahahahaha really!? The defense force is still blaming consumers for believing the lies!? Haven't come up with a better angle yet?
I didn't get played though? Here's the thing: I only saw the very first trailer of the game before I played it, went on a media blackout after that, as some people do with games they like, with the exception of a presentation about procedural content at an indie dev event. I clocked in about 90 hours then came back to forums to discover people sounded like they were playing a different game.

So apparently that alone did me the service of allowing me to play and enjoy the game for what it is, a rather enjoyable if repetitive procedural space explorer. Again, you should take some distance from your emotions and look at the game.

Don't shoot the messenger just because you got played, son!
I'm not the one derailing a thread about the new ARG to vent my frustrations. It's been ten months now, you should have made peace with the fact the game is what it is, or should at least be able to let others enjoy it and discuss the interesting things it does offer.

Despite my mixed opinion of the game and the controversy surrounding it, I have to say, this is a very cool way of approaching to and interacting with fans.

Especially since this is Hello Games we're talking about.

I liked the last update quite a bit but what needs to happen for me is a further overhaul of the planet generation formula. The first update improved things quite a bit with barren planets and more sporadic buildings.

Simply put, they need more "building blocks" for the game to pull graphics for terrain and animals from. Those annoying seashells and cones on every damn planet looking the same needs to go.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Instead of being happy the game gets support, they come in here with unchanged rhetoric they have from the release. Ignoring what happened next.

I really can't wait what they will show next.

Weren't they on radio silence for like a month post release?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I bought this along with my PS4 and only played an hour or so. Will wait for the next content update along with whatever this is before delving further into it.

I didn't get played though? Here's the thing: I only saw the very first trailer of the game before I played it, went on a media blackout after that, as some people do with games they like, with the exception of a presentation about procedural content at an indie dev event. I clocked in about 90 hours then came back to forums to discover people sounded like they were playing a different game.

So apparently that alone did me the service of allowing me to play and enjoy the game for what it is, a rather enjoyable if repetitive procedural space explorer. Again, you should take some distance from your emotions and look at the game.

So now it's people's fault because they paid too much attention to what Hello Games said? lol ignorance is bliss!

I'm not the one derailing a thread about the new ARG to vent my frustrations. It's been ten months now, you should have made peace with the fact the game is what it is, or should at least be able to let others enjoy it and discuss the interesting things it does offer.

You're derailing the thread as much as anyone else. Much like I couldn't resist replying to your tired defense of this game, you just couldn't resist your inability to let a snide remark about NMS go... Participating in the discussion you apparently don't want. So yeah, welcome to team derail.

Chev

So now it's people's fault because they paid too much attention to what Hello Games said? lol ignorance is bliss!
I grew up in a world where Bullfrog existed, a company that routinely made up features that weren't in its games, yet is behind many great classics. Those are classics despite every ludicrous thing their now infamous founder said about them. They weren't the first and won't be the last. You should approach what companies say about their products with some critical distance, and it's not even specific to videogames, this is consumer basics.

I wonder if this (the updates) is profitable to them.. or they just want to clean their name from the original release...
Do we know sales number, and if people are still buying it?

Anyway, if they add PSVR I'm in, if not, I'll keep waiting.

ArchAngel

Love this game, was my No. 2 on my GotY list.
It was exactly like I thought it would be from the interviews and videos.

More updates please, next 50h to come!

Tomeru

Thats like blaming politicians for lying: part of the responsability is on you for electing them. Do try and have some prespective on life and understand there are two sides to each coin. That way we wont have many threads derailed like this.

And I'm crossing fingers for vr/multi. But vr first please!

Thats like blaming politicians for lying: part of the responsability is on you for electing them. Do try and have some prespective on life and understand there are two sides to each coin. That way we wont have many threads derailed like this.

And I'm crossing fingers for vr/multi. But vr first please!

Man VR could be amazing. Have not played since a little back at launch, but always like to check up on things. If they implemented it well I'd definitely be jumping back in for a bit.

WITHE1982

I put maybe 60 hours into the base game at launch but, despite enjoying the relaxing take on universal exploration, the game got stale rather quickly.

I've not played it since the foundation update was announced so it sounds like I have a lot of catching up to do. Base building, freighters, vehicles and farming all sound very interesting though.

I never did find an inactive portal myself in the wild (or at least I don't think I did) but if it is multiplayer related then I'll definitely be putting at least another 50 hours into it.

The dream however is VR support. I don't think I'd ever stop playing if it happened.

PSVR + Aim Controller + No Man's Sky = a lysergic paradise

Dayum, I never thought of that. The aim even looks like it could fit in the NMS universe.

Seiniyta

I think the game needs to encourage exploring the planet you land on more and not just the near surroundings where you land. It's gameplay loop needs to be more interesting. I really like the game as is and I hope they keep on working on it for a long time, but they must give a good reason for you to explore. Having items/resources you can only find in caves. The first update somewhat adressed it a bit with having resources that only can spawn in some oceans. That's good stuff, more of that.

I grew up in a world where Bullfrog existed, a company that routinely made up features that weren't in its games, yet is behind many great classics. Those are classics despite every ludicrous thing their now infamous founder said about them. They weren't the first and won't be the last. You should approach what companies say about their products with some critical distance, and it's not even specific to videogames, this is consumer basics.

It's ok to like a game others found disappointing. But you don't have to make up excuses like that for all the bad marketing hype Hello Games and Sony cooked up before launch (and I never believed it was a MP game, so that's that).
Otherwise take my 100$, I hope you grew up in a world where people promised you money you never got.

Skronk

Banned
If they're confident enough to start teasing things again it's got to be multiplayer or something cool like a leveling system to give people a reason to play single player.

I honestly have no idea how they could make that game fun but I'm excited to see if they can do it.

If they're confident enough to start teasing things again it's got to be multiplayer or something cool like a leveling system to give people a reason to play single player.

I honestly have no idea how they could make that game fun but I'm excited to see if they can do it.

I tried yesterday base building and it's somewhat fun. The npcs you can recruit will give you quests to complete in order to build you better equipment to improve survival, and certain quests can't be completed unless you get a certain tool that another NPC asks you to build. That core loop is basically asking you to go out and have short term goals, which is more appealing than trying to get to the center.

Chev

Otherwise take my 100$, I hope you grew up in a world where people promised you money you never got.
Your problem is you're trying to equal marketing with promises. They aren't the same, but again, this is consumer 101. But even that is beside the point that a game, or any othe entertainment product, can be enjoyed for what it is regardless of the marketing hype.

belvedere

Junior Butler
It certainly seems like a lot of effort to tout a patch, even if the last two updates were rather large and feature rich. Maybe this is all leading up to NMS 2.0 and possibly the re-launch/imagining of the game?

With five tapes uploaded now, it's seeming like all of them are the same. They all say "portal" in the spectrograph.

So obviously they're going to turn one, or all, of them on. But the interesting part is what will be beyond them. I doubt it'll just connect to other worlds in the existing galaxy; we already have black holes for that. My guess is this is going to open into something new...either a new race, or a new galaxy with different proc gen algorithms, or both.

legacyzero

Banned
Am I the only person curious why Hello Games had the home addresses for all of the mods at the subreddit?
HG have been talking with Reddit mods for a while now. I'm assuming to help aggregate the feedback o. The subreddit to them in an effort to cut out the noise and toxicity

With five tapes uploaded now, it's seeming like all of them are the same. They all say "portal" in the spectrograph.

So obviously they're going to turn one, or all, of them on. But the interesting part is what will be beyond them. I doubt it'll just connect to other worlds in the existing galaxy; we already have black holes for that. My guess is this is going to open into something new...either a new race, or a new galaxy with different proc gen algorithms, or both.
MOTHER. FUCKING. ROGUE. PLANETS.

Tumle

HG have been talking with Reddit mods for a while now. I'm assuming to help aggregate the feedback o. The subreddit to them in an effort to cut out the noise and toxicity

MOTHER. FUCKING. ROGUE. PLANETS.
I'd love if the portals took us to instances of planets where the algorithm just got let loose, so it won't fuck up the main galaxy.. you wouldn't be able to take your space ship, but you could take one of your ground vehicles :)

I'd love if the portals took us to instances of planets where the algorithm just got let loose, so it won't fuck up the main galaxy.. you wouldn't be able to take your space ship, but you could take one of your ground vehicles :)
Yeah, like the crazy assed anomalous worlds in the Myst universe.

Cmagus

It could connect to new areas or worlds that are multiplayer focused or enabled. Just the way the ARG is setup makes me think it'll have something to do with multiplayer because basically right now they're making everyone work together to figure this out (kind of like working together in multiplayer).

It would be kind of cool to have something like clans where you could group up and work on a building type project but at this point that's probably way too ambitious. I'm still interested to see what this is.

I was pretty disappointed by the original release but I'm more than happy to see them turn this game around slowly and I'm fine supporting them 100% at this point.

legacyzero

Banned

Yep! No sun, bio-luminescence everywhere, and badass hunter monsters.

5taquitos

It could connect to new areas or worlds that are multiplayer focused or enabled. Just the way the ARG is setup makes me think it'll have something to do with multiplayer because basically right now they're making everyone work together to figure this out (kind of like working together in multiplayer).

It would be kind of cool to have something like clans where you could group up and work on a building type project but at this point that's probably way too ambitious. I'm still interested to see what this is.

I was pretty disappointed by the original release but I'm more than happy to see them turn this game around slowly and I'm fine supporting them 100% at this point.
I would do everything you can to temper expectations until more details are known. No sense getting hyped for multiplayer yet, it will only lead to heartache.

I would do everything you can to temper expectations until more details are known. No sense getting hyped for multiplayer yet, it will only lead to heartache.

Personally I think Multiplayer is the last thing the game needs. Actually, multiplayer is the last thing I hope there are working would be a better way if phrasing that.

I'm a big fan of survival mode and prefer that kind of thing on my own.

What's the latest on this?

I'd also like to take the opportunity to speak of my hopes in future updates. As someone who played the game as a landscape and wildlife videographer (link to my No Man's Sky: Observational Transmissions: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A4N9CVqldmvuIZl2eTAAS164wgpYkrk), I was hoping for easier no-hud toggles and a way to silence the warnings on the fly. Nothing kills an epic pan like a percentage warning blurting out with text across the screen lol.

Jimmy_liv

I was gutted about this game but intrigued to see where it goes.
If it every gets decent - or gets VR support - I'll buy it.

Maybe a couple of updates down the line.
It still has such potential.

I was gutted about this game but intrigued to see where it goes.
If it every gets decent - or gets VR support - I'll buy it.

Maybe a couple of updates down the line.
It still has such potential.
Any chance you know about the base building and land vehicle updates? Adds to the game and has you recruiting aliens to your base to give you quests and help build new vehicles, items, plants to farm etc.

Jimmy_liv

Any chance you know about the base building and land vehicle updates? Adds to the game and has you recruiting aliens to your base to give you quests and help build new vehicles, items, plants to farm etc.

Hi mate,
Yeah I know about them but I'm still getting the feeling it's got more to come and I'd rather play something nearer the finished game.

Apparently someone on reddit is postulating that the tapes hold references to the story. The evidence is circumstantial, but it's a decent theory:

The cassettes are basically referencing the story of the final parts of the abandoned buildings lore.
Side B is a play on the message from the story- but contains the image/text "portal" for us.
"My comms hub detected a garbled message sent with strange resonance qualities. Not unusual, given the atypical qualities of local space-time in this quadrant. Systems spent several cycles attempting to reconstruct the message to no avail. Analysis indicates that the signal shows signs of degradation corresponding to initial transmission occurring before the planet I orbit was even formed. And yet my name is spoken clearly amid the static and distortion."

Side A has the OST tracks and using the names of the tracks (Red Parallax, Supermoon and End of the world sun) and matching it to the lore there is overlap to the same part of the lore as the message.
Heres the logic for side A...

8) Red Parallax - Red Giant
Red could relate to anything - Atlas/ Atlas stones, a galaxy center, but i believe its the red giant.
However parallax is interesting as its about distance, specificaly the apparent difference when view from different places, and there is one distance that stands out i.e distance to the galaxy center. So parallax could relate to the difference between what we see and what is the true distance.
So my leap is that Red Parallax is the Red Giant and its new position as a singularity somewhere in the galaxy (or a galaxy - if going meta with the portals).

Top Bottom