• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

Yeah the Green stars have some spectacular planets.
I just started exploring one such lush world. Mildly looking for a new ship and the last species I needed I ended up 40 minutes by timer away from my ship. Naturally with all 3 Jetpack upgrades and sprint dashing I was a little closer than that, but not by much.

Griss

Lol at you guys getting attacked by 3 to 6 ships. I regularly get intercepted by 14 at this stage. They want all my purple elements I guess. And if I encounter a battle around a distress signal, it can be 22-25. I have to keep tons of oxides on me at all times to recharge my shields. I typically recharge my shield manually about 6 times per engagement at this point.

I've also seen palm trees, for the record. Lovely tropical paradise it was. Looked warm, but was actually a freezing planet, which was funny.

As for animal predation, I'm 50 hours in and have never seen any meaningful interplay between fauna. I'm not saying it's not there, but I am saying that it's not there to the extent that it should be, or that it appeared to be from the trailer, or that would actually matter. The creature AI is very disappointing, and that extends to their lame attack AI. The only good experience I've had with creature AI was assuming a huge stegosaurus type dinosaur was cool with me only for him to charge me 30 seconds later when my guard was down. He had an unpredictable nature. Pretty cool.

That's cool. I found one that was about 66% water, but yours has that beat by some distance.

E92 M3

Yeah the Green stars have some spectacular planets.
I just started exploring one such lush world. Mildly looking for a new ship and the last species I needed I ended up 40 minutes by timer away from my ship. Naturally with all 3 Jetpack upgrades and sprint dashing I was a little closer than that, but not by much.

I'll need to build some hyperdrive upgrades soon and explore.

teo72

Neo Member
After Sean and Hello Games fixes the basics of the game (aka Bugs, AA and so on), then let us do a poll or something and send all the great ideas like:

- Photomode
- Co-op
- Customisation of ship, multitool exosuit (and base?)
- Base building
- More animal behavior states (like playful, Sneaking Hunter, wounded animal and so on)

and more to Hello Games. It worked for Gran Turismo. Gtplanet.net did this and Polyphony loves the poll section of the forums there. There they see excatly what the gamers want, and in November we will get a better game because of it.

Let us do something like this for NMS too; Let us help Hello Games and Sean Murray make us the perfect NMS!

Listonosh

I'm actually wondering that too, theres someone on Reddit who's never followed Atlas and he's at the last Star from the Centre. His drive is messed up so he can't make the jump towards the centre.

Ah interesting, mind linking me? Would like to follow that and find out.

Wok

This is probably a good time to plug the great photo OT for this game!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259850

If you are wondering if something is in the game or not at least look through there first. It can have light spoilers for someone who wants to be totally blind though.

Also, if you've taken nice or unique shots yourself please post them there! It's a great thread for seeing what kind of things this game has.

Edit: Top of the page was an accident, haha. Seriously though, check out that thread.

When I play, the game looks amazing. But when I take screenshots and compare them to ones from this photo thread, damn, I realize that I don't have the highest quality graphics and people downsampling have such a crispy display. Wow!

vpance

Finally found some nickel, and it was on a planet in a red star system. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Found my first water world last night.

There was an abandoned base completely underwater. I swam down, grabbed the schematic off the machine and swam back up before I died.

It had an extended underwater life-support blueprint :)

Finally started working on upgrading my ship. Went from 17 to 28 in about an hour. Bought a 24. Found two crashed ships on a planet. First was a 26, second was a 28. Want to get to 32/34 before I leave this system. Have the materials to upgrade the next two hyperdrives. Just waiting on a decent ship to put them in.

SomTervo

Finally found some nickel, and it was on a planet in a red star system. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I think it does. I've had copper and nickel and aluminium coming out of my ears and I'm only visiting green/blue/red planets at this point.

TyrantII

So, I've come to the realization that out player is in fact a space hobbit.

Go up to someone sitting and level the camera.

Do, wheres the Mordor sun?

TyrantII

Someone should out the ship thing in the OP.

Also that buying ships is much, much cheaper if you hold no cargo and break down your mods before one spawns and lands at a port. Pricing and RNG snoops your inventory.

Griss

I'm really enjoying scavaging planets for crashed ships instead of grinding for units to buy them.

Grinding for units makes no sense past about 10m. At that point the cost and time per extra slot on a ship you can buy becomes far more than just spending the time salvaging ships. And with salvaging ships, you're actually still playing the game and exploring naturally and seeing new shit.

I feel bad for people who decide to grind up to 50m or whatever. I'd rather just use the dupe trick if I was going to do that.

Mindlog

Yeah, salvaging parts to lower ship cost is really helpful if you go that route.
If you are scavenging ships DO NOT SCRAP EVERYTHING before finding a new ship. That ship will generate its loadout based on your current ship. If you wait until after to scrap everything you will get so much more free loot. I have a stack of Omegon thanks to all the parts I've scrapped off ships.
Then you need to scavenge for the resources to get them off the ground. I am not sure what I will prefer. I may go the crashed ship route.
The resources are very common. I've upgraded my ship ~5 times in the system I'm currently at. It's mostly Iron and that Herb.

The only less common resource I've needed is Chrysonite and I found a world with crystals of the stuff.

I ended up using the money I saved to upgrade to a 24 multitool. My multitool is almost completed. I just need to find some Radnox. I got to try some really neat Boltcasters during my upgrade process, but in the end my MT will only be using mining beam, scanner and grenade.

ChouGoku

I've found tons of nickel on asteroids in my red star system. I got like 600 in 5 mins

Lol last night I bought a ship, didnt go in it, went to farm more stuff and when I came back it was gone. Showed up about 2 mins later the asshole I bought it from was still flying it

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is there a bug preventing you from changing where life support and hazard protection are slotted in the exosuit? In order to link boosters to the jetpack? I seem to have blueprints for things like life support but can't see them in the relevant menus or it won't let me use them.

vpance

It is tedious but I have found it reliably from scrapping crashed ships.

Never thought of doing that when I encountered so many crash sites in the first 10 hrs. Haven't many since then. Started doing that with multitools though.

I think it does. I've had copper and nickel and aluminium coming out of my ears and I'm only visiting green/blue/red planets at this point.

Yeah there's probably something to it. The planets in this system had violent weather patterns too. I'm on the Atlas path, but am trying to jump to other colors if they're on the way.

Ferr986

Trully starting to hate space battles in this game. It usually goes like this: I fly in my 25 slot ship, warp somewhere, get intercepted. Huge pile of enemies warps in and kills my shields in seconds, during which I've maybe killed one of them with souped up phase beam. There's no escaping them and wiggling like in normal space sims doesn't seem to hinder their aim much either.

Upgrade shields. Thau+Sigma already makes a lot of difference. Now I can fight 4-5 at once no problem without needing the recharge shields.

I also use the beam . and have it upgraded too.

Lol at you guys getting attacked by 3 to 6 ships. I regularly get intercepted by 14 at this stage. They want all my purple elements I guess. And if I encounter a battle around a distress signal, it can be 22-25. I have to keep tons of oxides on me at all times to recharge my shields. I typically recharge my shield manually about 6 times per engagement at this point.

Fighting against 22 ships sounds more annoying than anything else :/

Is there any way to turn off the location icons AFTER you have visited the respective location?

For example, I use one of the Atlas bypass discs to find a monolith. I go to said Monolith, and after I visit it, the Monolith Icon is still visible. It drives me crazy because I can't tell the difference between places I visit, and places that I haven't. I hope that rambling makes sense.

Is there any way to turn off the location icons AFTER you have visited the respective location?

For example, I use one of the Atlas bypass discs to find a monolith. I go to said Monolith, and after I visit it, the Monolith Icon is still visible. It drives me crazy because I can't tell the difference between places I visit, and places that I haven't. I hope that rambling makes sense.
Usually if you've visited a location, it will be slightly grayed out compared to "undiscovered locations." Just be sure to save at the save point on locations that have them. Otherwise, they will remain undiscovered and the icon will look like you haven't been there. In fact, I used a bypass ship on a beacon at a shelter, and it showed me the exact same shelter I was at because I hadn't yet activated the save point.

Usually if you've visited a location, it will be slightly grayed out compared to "undiscovered locations." Just be sure to save at the save point on locations that have them. Otherwise, they will remain undiscovered and the icon will look like you haven't been there. In fact, I used a bypass ship on a beacon at a shelter, and it showed me the exact same shelter I was at because I hadn't yet activated the save point.

Ahh, I didn't even noticed they were greyed out. Thanks man.

In fact, I used a bypass ship on a beacon at a shelter, and it showed me the exact same shelter I was at because I hadn't yet activated the save point.

Yeah, that happened to me too. Super annoying to have it scan around and land on a beacon that my ship is parked directly next to. Fortunately bypass chips are a dime a dozen.

PC players, in case you don't know:

Use this to remove the fugly vignette/scan line/cromatic aberration from the top of the screen:
CHROMATIC ABERRATION + VIGNETTING + SCAN LINES REMOVAL

The scan lines and vignette don't bother me so much, but the CA in this game is just atrocious. I might have to pick this up just for that.

Yeah, just land next to it, accept the new ship, dismantle everything in it, turn around and re-accept your old ship.

This thread will now be spattered in brain goop thanks to all the minds you've blown there. Fek. None of the crashed ships were much cop so i bought one and i didn't try that with crashed ships as i didn't want to risk it.

That's my next experiment for this afternoon then. I might even fit my hyperdrive as it keeps asking me to but there's one more planet in my system i want to check out first :)

IvanJ

Banned
I was thinking about upgrading the ship up from my 28 slot, but then I got to thinking it is not worth it.
I have Sigma+Theta+Tau warp drive and pulse engine, and the rest of the slots are enough to carry a few elements that I might need. But usually most elements can be found easily in a few minutes, no sense of hoarding.

Warp drives are basically the only thing I need to progress further through space. I don't invest a single thing into defense or guns, it's easier to just get killed and pick up my grave instead of grinding through upgrades and suffering the battles while spending 15 metric tons of Iron on shields.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Searching for
Nada and Polo.
is proving much tougher for me on PC than it was on PS4. Made a bunch of jumps toward the center now and they're nowhere. Wonder if this has to do with having accepted the atlas path (but not having done any of it yet).

I have all the places I want to return to waypointed, but I really wanted to get my AtlasPass before turning back. Hmmm.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Searching for
Nada and Polo.
is proving much tougher for me on PC than it was on PS4. Made a bunch of jumps toward the center now and they're nowhere. Wonder if this has to do with having accepted the atlas path (but not having done any of it yet).

I have all the places I want to return to waypointed, but I really wanted to get my AtlasPass before turning back. Hmmm.

I think
they always show up in the system after your first Atlas station.
Could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom